Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Books and Publications Discussion and reviews of books, videos, and magazines.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2017, 08:57 AM   #1
888sam
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 23
Book Suggestions

Looking for non strat poker books, more focused on the 'legends' of the game and the folklore.

Recently just re-read The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King and wanting some more like that. I have read Stu Ungar book but that's about it, so looking for anything else similar.

Stuff about prop bets and other gambling also of interest too

Last edited by 888sam; 05-22-2017 at 09:09 AM.
888sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:39 AM   #2
Pocket44s
enthusiast
 
Pocket44s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 61
Re: Book Suggestions

Check Raising the Devil was an interesting read.
Pocket44s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:49 AM   #3
888sam
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 23
Re: Book Suggestions

Thanks man, looks good will check that out. Also considering devilfish book too
888sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:11 PM   #4
felixxx1021
journeyman
 
felixxx1021's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Spewtard City
Posts: 220
Re: Book Suggestions

I just bought Stu Ungar, book is that a good one?
felixxx1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:13 PM   #5
felixxx1021
journeyman
 
felixxx1021's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Spewtard City
Posts: 220
Re: Book Suggestions

Check Raising the Devil, what is this about?
felixxx1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:34 AM   #6
Pocket44s
enthusiast
 
Pocket44s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 61
Re: Book Suggestions

From amazon's description:


Hang on tight as Mike “The Mouth” Matusow, poker player extraordinaire, takes you with him on a breathtaking, true-life roller coaster ride from his humble beginnings in a trailer park to a rock and roll lifestyle full of hot women, sex, wild drug-filled parties and million-dollar wins and losses. Yet behind the glamour and glory of his high-stakes poker career lurked the flip side: a person torn between two debilitating mental illnesses?—?bipolar disorder and ADHD. To dig himself out of depression and suicidal despair, Matusow turned to dangerous street drugs to self-medicate a problem he didn’t understand, and spiraled deeper into the darker world of addiction, police narcotic stings, and jail time.

In this revealing and tumultuous autobiography, the combustible Matusow holds nothing back. You’ll get a mouthful of the man behind the infamous Matusow Meltdowns seen on national TV.

Riveting, exhilarating, sexy, sometimes shocking and always fascinating, this voyeur’s look into the world of high-stakes poker, mental illness, and ultimately, Matusow’s inspiring redemption, will keep you glued to your seat until the very last page!
Pocket44s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:26 PM   #7
avatar77
adept
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,063
Re: Book Suggestions

+1 for Mike Matusow's book. It was a great read.

Other books that I really enjoyed in this genre are:
- Positively Fifth Street by James McManus - good read from a journalist's perspective on the early days of the poker boom during the WSOP
- Molly's Game by Molly Bloom - great book on the big underground cash game played with the top pros and celebrities.
- Poker Tilt by Dutch Boyd - I know not everyone will agree with me on this one because it is by Dutch However, I liked the book and had some good insights on the beginning of online poker

I also recently read King Krab's book and both 'Once a gambler' books and really enjoyed them as well.
avatar77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:44 AM   #8
felixxx1021
journeyman
 
felixxx1021's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Spewtard City
Posts: 220
Re: Book Suggestions

It sounds good, I will read it soon
felixxx1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:59 PM   #9
Oroku$aki
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Oroku$aki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Blithe
Posts: 7,033
Re: Book Suggestions

The Biggest Game In Town.
Oroku$aki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:36 AM   #10
chillrob
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
chillrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: under a dark cloud
Posts: 12,903
Re: Book Suggestions

Poker Nation, by Andy Bellin
chillrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:12 AM   #11
daithi2+2
centurion
 
daithi2+2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cork
Posts: 143
Re: Book Suggestions

Famous Gamblers, Poker History, and Texas Stories by Johnny Hughes
daithi2+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:13 AM   #12
MyrnaFTW
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MyrnaFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 6,853
Re: Book Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroku$aki View Post
The Biggest Game In Town.
One of my favorites. The professor , the banker and suicide king is a good read as well.
MyrnaFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:26 AM   #13
driller
grinder
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 597
Re: Book Suggestions

Shut Up and Deal by Jesse May
driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:10 PM   #14
outdonked
banned
 
outdonked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 547
Re: Book Suggestions

Legends? - You want legends? - OK, Here you have Stu Ungar at his best in action:

WSOP 1997 final table

hand #36
sb RS - RS and SU limp and check the As 9h 6s flop. RS bets 25,000, SU raises 60,000 and RS calls after the 8c turn card. SU bets 220,000 and RS folds after the Kd on the river. Ron shows a 9 and SU shows QT.
After Ron Stanley stole the blinds a few times, he moved within $200,000 of Stu. A few hands later, the two chip leaders fought another heads-up duel in the blinds. With Stu Ungar in the big blind, Stanley limped in and Stu checked. The flop came A-9-6 with two spades. Previously, each time Stu had flopped top pair with an ace, he had checked on the flop and bet on the turn. This time he checked behind Stanley, suggesting that he might have an ace again. An eight fell on fourth street. Stanley, holding a nine, bet $25,000 with second pair. Stu raised $60,000 and Stanley called. The river card was a king. Stanley checked and folded when Stu bet $225,000 and brashly turned up his cards, showing Q-10 for queen high and no pair! As Stanley acknowledged after the tournament ended, he was hampered throughout the day by his table position -- immediately to Stu's right. Only once each round (when Stu was in the small blind and Stanley was on the button) was Stanley in position to act after Stu. With Stu playing very aggressively immediately behind him, it made it difficult for Stanley to take the initiative when he did not have a strong hand.
===========
hand #42
sb RS - RS raises 50,000 and SU calls. Both check the Qh 8c 8d flop. SU bets 60,000 and RS calls after the 5d on the turn. RS bets 120,000 and SU calls after the Kd river card. RS shows 77 and SU wins with KQ.
The next time they were in the blinds, Stu raised $50,000 from the big blind, holding KQ. Stanley called with pocket sevens. The flop came Q-8-8 (rainbow). Both players checked. Stanley checked again when the 5d fell on the turn. Stu bet $60,000 and Stanley called. When the 6d came on fifth street, Stanley bet $120,000 representing a flush. Stu called with two pair, and raked in another large pot, expanding his lead over Stanley and Strzemp.

Last edited by outdonked; 07-14-2017 at 12:22 PM.
outdonked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 12:25 AM   #15
felixxx1021
journeyman
 
felixxx1021's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Spewtard City
Posts: 220
Re: Book Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdonked View Post
Legends? - You want legends? - OK, Here you have Stu Ungar at his best in action:

WSOP 1997 final table

hand #36
sb RS - RS and SU limp and check the As 9h 6s flop. RS bets 25,000, SU raises 60,000 and RS calls after the 8c turn card. SU bets 220,000 and RS folds after the Kd on the river. Ron shows a 9 and SU shows QT.
After Ron Stanley stole the blinds a few times, he moved within $200,000 of Stu. A few hands later, the two chip leaders fought another heads-up duel in the blinds. With Stu Ungar in the big blind, Stanley limped in and Stu checked. The flop came A-9-6 with two spades. Previously, each time Stu had flopped top pair with an ace, he had checked on the flop and bet on the turn. This time he checked behind Stanley, suggesting that he might have an ace again. An eight fell on fourth street. Stanley, holding a nine, bet $25,000 with second pair. Stu raised $60,000 and Stanley called. The river card was a king. Stanley checked and folded when Stu bet $225,000 and brashly turned up his cards, showing Q-10 for queen high and no pair! As Stanley acknowledged after the tournament ended, he was hampered throughout the day by his table position -- immediately to Stu's right. Only once each round (when Stu was in the small blind and Stanley was on the button) was Stanley in position to act after Stu. With Stu playing very aggressively immediately behind him, it made it difficult for Stanley to take the initiative when he did not have a strong hand.
===========
hand #42
sb RS - RS raises 50,000 and SU calls. Both check the Qh 8c 8d flop. SU bets 60,000 and RS calls after the 5d on the turn. RS bets 120,000 and SU calls after the Kd river card. RS shows 77 and SU wins with KQ.
The next time they were in the blinds, Stu raised $50,000 from the big blind, holding KQ. Stanley called with pocket sevens. The flop came Q-8-8 (rainbow). Both players checked. Stanley checked again when the 5d fell on the turn. Stu bet $60,000 and Stanley called. When the 6d came on fifth street, Stanley bet $120,000 representing a flush. Stu called with two pair, and raked in another large pot, expanding his lead over Stanley and Strzemp.
Legend!! I would start reading "One of a Kind: The Rise and Fall of Stuey ',The Kid', Ungar, " pretty soon, I've heard its a good read
felixxx1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:23 PM   #16
rivercitybirdie
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,413
Re: Book Suggestions

anthony holden's 2 poker books are good, especially the 1st.. very literate writer. more used to writing biographies of very famous people but got obsessed with poker.

moneymaker's book is surprisingly really good...... and that opinion has been 2nd'ed by many.

gus hansen book about playing aussie milliions was really good...... it is poker content only but it's as much stream of consciousness as strategy.
rivercitybirdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:35 AM   #17
outdonked
banned
 
outdonked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 547
Re: Book Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixxx1021 View Post
Legend!! I would start reading "One of a Kind: The Rise and Fall of Stuey ',The Kid', Ungar, " pretty soon, I've heard its a good read
yes, . that book is great. All about Stuey life from the very beginning all the way to the tragic end.
outdonked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:57 AM   #18
DuckU
adept
 
DuckU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tracktown USA
Posts: 1,110
Re: Book Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar77 View Post
+1 for Mike Matusow's book. It was a great read.

Other books that I really enjoyed in this genre are:
- Positively Fifth Street by James McManus - good read from a journalist's perspective on the early days of the poker boom during the WSOP

- Molly's Game by Molly Bloom - great book on the big underground cash game played with the top pros and celebrities.

- Poker Tilt by Dutch Boyd - I know not everyone will agree with me on this one because it is by Dutch However, I liked the book and had some good insights on the beginning of online poker

I also recently read King Krab's book and both 'Once a gambler' books and really enjoyed them as well.
Really like Positively 5th St. and was pleasantly surprised by Poker Tilt.

Dutch provides lots of humility and "lessons learned" about life as a poker pro and someone with mental health issues. He addresses bankroll management as well as the reality that many if not most poker pros are confirmed busto.
DuckU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:07 PM   #19
Game Theory
centurion
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 109
Re: Book Suggestions

I love these types of books. Some great ones not mentioned yet...

The Godfather of poker by doyle brunson. Amazing book, a lot of which is probably due to the fact that Doyle told the stories to a writer, who wrote it.

Lifes a gamble by mike sexton. Awesome story teller.

Ghosts at the table. I loved this book. He goes through four different eras of poker and tells stories from them. He takes a bit of a different twist in trying to find proof that famous stories are true.

All in - the (almost) entirely true story of the world series of poker. Again, some awesome stories from the old days.

And in a pinch, victoria corens book was surprisingly good.
Game Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:55 PM   #20
Al Mirpuri
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Narnia
Posts: 5,335
Re: Book Suggestions

The Education of A Poker Player (1957) by Herbert O. Yardley - a James Bondesque figure but a Yank!!!


The stories are great and all true and the advice (not that you are looking for such) is good enough for its time (though has to be said the 5 stud section is a must read for anyone playing that game).
Al Mirpuri is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online