Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Books and Publications Discussion and reviews of books, videos, and magazines. Sponsored by TwoPlusTwoStore.com.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 11:39 PM   #1
Professionalpoker
 
Professionalpoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Henderson of course.
Posts: 16,315
Analytical No-Limit Hold 'em by Thomas Bakker reviews and discussion

Now that the book has hit the street please review and discuss here.

Cheers,
Mike
Professionalpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:30 AM   #2
boat2p2
centurion
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 124
Re: Analytical No-Limit Hold 'em by Thomas Bakker reviews and discussion

Is the book scuff proof? Does it resist the scratches when it hits the streets?
boat2p2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
Mason Malmuth
Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 10,093
Re: Analytical No-Limit Hold 'em by Thomas Bakker reviews and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat2p2 View Post
Is the book scuff proof? Does it resist the scratches when it hits the streets?
All our book covers are UV coated which certainly helps in that area.

MM
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
=_=
journeyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 337
Re: Analytical No-Limit Hold 'em by Thomas Bakker reviews and discussion

good to see mason answers the serious questions.
=_= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:59 PM   #5
dabu11et
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: IN
Posts: 25
Re: Analytical No-Limit Hold 'em by Thomas Bakker reviews and discussion

Whats this book about and how can it help me?
dabu11et is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
zzzed
banned
 
zzzed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,347
Re: Analytical No-Limit Hold 'em by Thomas Bakker reviews and discussion

I have the book, I has it in my hands.

In the first sentence under 'About this Book' there is the sentence:

"Poker is a highly analytical game."

I feel 'poker is an exceptionally analytical game'

as well as '[ ] poker is not a highly analytical game' would both work here.

Ok moving on...
zzzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
zzzed
banned
 
zzzed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,347
Re: Analytical No-Limit Hold 'em by Thomas Bakker reviews and discussion

Just finished Part One on Range-Oriented Thinking.

Found the use of graphs to visually map out the frequencies of different parts of the ranges to be very helpful.

Have a discrepancy with the example on 24-26.

Issue: The book argues villains range is polarized and disproportionately weighted towards the bottom pole. Villain however can only get to the river with a few hands that Hero's A4-no pair actually beats. These hands are 56s, Q9, and QJ afaik unless he's floating real light with 64/54 type of hands.

Hands that villain will value-bet biggish on the river with are all two pairs, slowplayed sets, turned set, some float like KT or KT, possibly even AK if he's fishy pf, quite a few hands it seems.

So it seems the amount of hands villain can clearly value bet on this river outweigh the possible combos of air (from which are derived the hands he can bet air with) that he gets to the river with.

Regardless, the concept about what to do when villain is polarized and over-weighted toward the bottom end still makes sense, so I"m just being a nit I guess. Great book so far.
zzzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:05 AM   #8
Zampono
grinder
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 448
Re: Analytical No-Limit Hold 'em by Thomas Bakker reviews and discussion

I know it says short handed games but how applicable are the concepts in this book to full ring games?
Zampono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:54 AM   #9
zzzed
banned
 
zzzed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,347
Re: Analytical No-Limit Hold 'em by Thomas Bakker reviews and discussion

The concepts are universal afaik. Interpreting ranges, understanding your perceived range, calculating the profitability of a continuation bet should all translate quite well.
zzzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:07 PM   #10
Thomas Bakker
newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 46
Re: Analytical No-Limit Hold 'em by Thomas Bakker reviews and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zampono View Post
I know it says short handed games but how applicable are the concepts in this book to full ring games?
I have very little experience with full-ring games, but I think many of the concepts in the book also apply there. All example hands are from short-handed games, though.
Thomas Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #11
jim_money
old hand
 
jim_money's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,421
Re: Analytical No-Limit Hold 'em by Thomas Bakker reviews and discussion

I've read about half the book so far and it's awesome. I only play 25 and 50NL but some of the topics have changed how I think about different situations. I haven't gotten to the workbook part yet, but there have not been a lot of specific examples, a lot of general theory which is awesome. So far I have been very very impressed.
jim_money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #12
Newt_Buggs
veteran
 
Newt_Buggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,743
Re: Analytical No-Limit Hold 'em by Thomas Bakker reviews and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzed View Post
Have a discrepancy with the example on 24-26.

Issue: The book argues villains range is polarized and disproportionately weighted towards the bottom pole. Villain however can only get to the river with a few hands that Hero's A4-no pair actually beats. These hands are 56s, Q9, and QJ afaik unless he's floating real light with 64/54 type of hands.

Hands that villain will value-bet biggish on the river with are all two pairs, slowplayed sets, turned set, some float like KT or KT, possibly even AK if he's fishy pf, quite a few hands it seems.

So it seems the amount of hands villain can clearly value bet on this river outweigh the possible combos of air (from which are derived the hands he can bet air with) that he gets to the river with.
On page ~50 so far and the book hasn't had any groundbreaking ideas but it is well written and the author does a great job of illustrating the ideas. The graphs are a great idea and illustrated the concepts very well.

I totally agree with the above quote and think the example on page 25 is bad. I don't think is an 'easy call' at all as once we reach the river there are few hand combos that our hand still beats. There is also a chance that he would sometimes bluff with a better hand.
Newt_Buggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:24 AM   #13
schroedy
adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SoCal MidLimits
Posts: 906
Re: Analytical No-Limit Hold 'em by Thomas Bakker reviews and discussion

When can I get it in Kindle? (If I can't read it on my phone, I won't read it anymore. Sorry. Just can't see myself buying much more of anything tangible that has to be hauled around and such.)
schroedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:21 AM   #14
DatDerCelTec
grinder
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: stuck
Posts: 440
Re: Analytical No-Limit Hold 'em by Thomas Bakker reviews and discussion

Ebook version or nothing.
DatDerCelTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:05 AM   #15
Stefan Stefansson
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 52
Re: Analytical No-Limit Hold 'em by Thomas Bakker reviews and discussion

Yes, just finish the e-book version(s). I newer buy a paper book again. But probably a lot of e-books.
Stefan Stefansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:25 AM   #16
Mason Malmuth
Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 10,093
Re: Analytical No-Limit Hold 'em by Thomas Bakker reviews and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Stefansson View Post
Yes, just finish the e-book version(s). I newer buy a paper book again. But probably a lot of e-books.
We do plan on producing this in e-book format, but it will be a little while.

Mason
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:14 PM   #17
RockyKing
grinder
 
RockyKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neverland Ranch
Posts: 529
Re: Analytical No-Limit Hold 'em by Thomas Bakker reviews and discussion

So if we did a 2+2 NL Holdem Learning tree where is this book?
Im thinkin
GSIH....Harington online 6max or HOC 1 and 2...PNLH.....NLH TAP.....and then this book
u guys agree?
RockyKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:33 AM   #18
KOSlamArtist
centurion
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 106
Re: Analytical No-Limit Hold 'em by Thomas Bakker reviews and discussion

Will it help an HU player?
KOSlamArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:18 AM   #19
bamyeah33
journeyman
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 302
Re: Analytical No-Limit Hold 'em by Thomas Bakker reviews and discussion

yes...buy the book from 2plus2 store...
bamyeah33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:24 AM   #20
Frosti85
stranger
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10
Re: Analytical No-Limit Hold 'em by Thomas Bakker reviews and discussion

Is this book specific to cashgames or more general ?
I ask this question because i am a husng player and would like to know if this book could be useful.
Frosti85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:27 PM   #21
aldine07
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Great State of Texas
Posts: 85
Re: Analytical No-Limit Hold 'em by Thomas Bakker reviews and discussion

I have purchased this book but do not have time to read it, due to a busy schedule. Can we please keep this a review thread instead of a troll thread about authors credits? I am interested in contents contain within this book that I can take with a grain of salt instead of an absolute from the experience of veteran 2 plus 2 guys. Thanks

Aldine07
aldine07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:02 AM   #22
aldine07
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Great State of Texas
Posts: 85
QUESTION ON MATH

First of all, AWESOME book! Next I have two question in regards to how to work some of the math. On page 68 when simplifying the ev of a raise I am unfamiliar with how to simplify this equations: EVraise=(Pcall)[($405)(Equity)-$190]+(1-Pcall)($45) which simplifies to:EVraise=(Pcall)[($405)(Equity)-$235]+$45

Now when you input the probability of their calling range what would this look like? Thanks

Aldine07
aldine07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:07 AM   #23
LMFAOhaha
banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 826
Re: Analytical No-Limit Hold 'em by Thomas Bakker reviews and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professionalpoker View Post
Now that the book has hit the street please review and discuss here.

Cheers,
Mike

OT, but very cool BB code scanner..I tried it out and it worked haha
LMFAOhaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:28 AM   #24
caduceus
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 87
Re: QUESTION ON MATH

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldine07 View Post
First of all, AWESOME book! Next I have two question in regards to how to work some of the math. On page 68 when simplifying the ev of a raise I am unfamiliar with how to simplify this equations: EVraise=(Pcall)[($405)(Equity)-$190]+(1-Pcall)($45) which simplifies to:EVraise=(Pcall)[($405)(Equity)-$235]+$45

Now when you input the probability of their calling range what would this look like? Thanks

Aldine07
Haven't received the book yet but I think I can simplify the equations for you.

EVraise=(Pcall)[($405)(Equity)-$190]+(1-Pcall)($45)
EVraise=(Pcall)[($405)(Equity)-$190]+$45-(Pcall)($45)
EVraise=(Pcall)[($405)(Equity)-$190-$45]+$45
EVraise=(Pcall)[($405)(Equity)-$235]+$45

You then let Pcall = probability that they will call into the equation to find your EV (1-Pcall = the probability they don't call but it's not necessary when you simplify the equation).

Hope that helps.
caduceus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:14 AM   #25
aldine07
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Great State of Texas
Posts: 85
Re: QUESTION ON MATH

Quote:
Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
Haven't received the book yet but I think I can simplify the equations for you.

EVraise=(Pcall)[($405)(Equity)-$190]+(1-Pcall)($45)
EVraise=(Pcall)[($405)(Equity)-$190]+$45-(Pcall)($45)
EVraise=(Pcall)[($405)(Equity)-$190-$45]+$45
EVraise=(Pcall)[($405)(Equity)-$235]+$45

You then let Pcall = probability that they will call into the equation to find your EV (1-Pcall = the probability they don't call but it's not necessary when you simplify the equation).

Hope that helps.
ok so I'm adding -45 to -190 and illiminating the pcall....

Last edited by aldine07; 12-28-2010 at 10:21 AM. Reason: clarity
aldine07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online