Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Beginners Questions Poker beginner? Ask your (possibly) naive question here and our community will attempt to help you.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2021, 05:38 PM   #1
JimB
stranger
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 8
Old dog trying to learn new tricks

Older guy here, been playing for over 40 years. Retired recently and travel the country in an RV and I love finding card rooms for cash games all over and having time to play again, but the game has changed. I have had lessons, read books, etc but I need to try to keep up. I want to learn some GTO. That means online playing so I can track and use software. Can anyone help me get started? I am looking for:
1)what are basic computer requirements to play online and use a GTO trainer product?
2)recommendations for tracking/hud software that will merge better with one training product over another?
3)other software that would help?
4)a resource/coach to help me get started using it all correctly and efficiently?
5) anything you think might be something to consider to help an older guy get better at cash games

I am just a rec player who enjoys playing and I am not trying to be a pro etc. Just want to bring my game into this decade. I play cash not tournaments. I would be interested in any ideas on training sites, software etc as I have all day to study(between fishing nd napping that is). Thanks for reading and helping if you can.
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:07 PM   #2
Duncelanas
Pooh-Bah
 
Duncelanas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Losing money at husngs
Posts: 5,854
Re: Old dog trying to learn new tricks

Rather than getting your own solver and running your own sims (which might be a bit more involved than you're looking for), I might recommend looking into some youtubers who look at gto stuff (Ex. Finding Equilibrium, AlvinTeachesPoker) or maybe signing up for a site like gtowizard. You could also consider something like Simple GTO Trainer and signing up for one of their training packs.

You do lose some flexibility this way, but it's much simpler to use than getting your own solver and learning to run sims on your own. You can also look into some free content on sites like zenith that are more gto-oriented.
Duncelanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:33 PM   #3
JimB
stranger
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 8
Re: Old dog trying to learn new tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncelanas View Post
Rather than getting your own solver and running your own sims (which might be a bit more involved than you're looking for), I might recommend looking into some youtubers who look at gto stuff (Ex. Finding Equilibrium, AlvinTeachesPoker) or maybe signing up for a site like gtowizard. You could also consider something like Simple GTO Trainer and signing up for one of their training packs.

You do lose some flexibility this way, but it's much simpler to use than getting your own solver and learning to run sims on your own. You can also look into some free content on sites like zenith that are more gto-oriented.
thank you for the thoughtful response. I will give them a try.
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:41 AM   #4
squid face
ChatThreadPrez
 
squid face's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: cloudbase! Aint no time 4 gravity
Posts: 9,991
Re: Old dog trying to learn new tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post

I am just a rec player who enjoys playing and I am not trying to be a pro etc. Just want to bring my game into this decade. I play cash not tournaments.
Long Term Perfessional gambooler here:


GTO completely unnecessary for what you want to do. To pound these games requires a few things and GTO is not one of them. If I were you and I wanted to get in with the times I would head over to the Live low stakes forum. Start reading hand histories and see what other players who are trying to play well think about. Post up some of your own to start discussion.

There is a fair amt of bullshit you will need to wade thru but you will figure out who the good posters are in short order. There are also training sites like CLP (there are a few coaches from crush live poker in the LLSNL forum)

tldr; dont waste time with gto. Get solid fundamentals and print $
squid face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:47 PM   #5
JimB
stranger
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 8
Re: Old dog trying to learn new tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid face View Post
Long Term Perfessional gambooler here:


GTO completely unnecessary for what you want to do. To pound these games requires a few things and GTO is not one of them. If I were you and I wanted to get in with the times I would head over to the Live low stakes forum. Start reading hand histories and see what other players who are trying to play well think about. Post up some of your own to start discussion.

There is a fair amt of bullshit you will need to wade thru but you will figure out who the good posters are in short order. There are also training sites like CLP (there are a few coaches from crush live poker in the LLSNL forum)

tldr; dont waste time with gto. Get solid fundamentals and print $
Unfortunately my older style fundamentals are getting me pounded. I don't play over 2-5 as this is just rec. for me. Where would/what would you recommend to get a handle on todays fundamental play for live lower stakes cash games?
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:10 PM   #6
squid face
ChatThreadPrez
 
squid face's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: cloudbase! Aint no time 4 gravity
Posts: 9,991
Re: Old dog trying to learn new tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Unfortunately my older style fundamentals are getting me pounded. I don't play over 2-5 as this is just rec. for me. Where would/what would you recommend to get a handle on todays fundamental play for live lower stakes cash games?
All of what you need is on 2p2. You are a cash game specialist. Get out of the beginners forum and go to the live low stakes NL forum. Get involved. People are posting hand histories for review. Start reading them and analyzing them. You will notice a common problem with many of the hand histories the right answer is fold pre which leads us to:

You are prolly making several major mistakes that can easily be fixed.

Playing too many hands (limping trash, calling raises with crap, opening marginal hands oop, etc)
completing the sb with garbage
not understanding the power of position
trying to be too tricky and losing value

this is an overview - I can write dozens of pages. The main point is working on your game takes WORK. Step one is to go through a ton of HH's and understand proper thought process. There are also stickies on the top of the LLSNL forum with an absolute ton of info on how exactly to beat live low steaks NL.

get to work!!
squid face is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive