Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Beginners Questions Poker beginner? Ask your (possibly) naive question here and our community will attempt to help you.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2018, 11:19 PM   #14476
floattheboat
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 124
Re: ***** Official Dumb Questions Thread ****

How do the payouts of a heads up MTT work when there are a weird number of players (for a small example - what if there were 6? or 15?) Are buy-ins partially refunded, PP altered somehow, or do certain randomly selected players just get byes?
floattheboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:50 PM   #14477
Poker Clif
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Muskegon, Michigan, USA
Posts: 5,612
Re: ***** Official Dumb Questions Thread ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by floattheboat View Post
How do the payouts of a heads up MTT work when there are a weird number of players (for a small example - what if there were 6? or 15?) Are buy-ins partially refunded, PP altered somehow, or do certain randomly selected players just get byes?
By heads-up tournament, I assume that you're talking about 2-player tables. where a player wins and go on to the next opponent.

Obviously it's simple to figure out if you start with, for example, 32 players at the first level, then 16, then 8, then 4, then 2 at the final table.

I can't think of any other way that it could be fair. The biggest problem would be if someone no-shows or can't continue for any reason. You could have alternates to take a spot if someone didn't show, but if someone gets ill during the tournament, or someone doesn't show up and you don't have alternates, leaving you with seven players, it wouldn't be fair to add an alternate 8th player who would only have to win three times to take it down.

The only solution that I can see is that if there is an empty chair, the one player left at the table would get a bye.

Last edited by Poker Clif; 10-18-2018 at 11:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Poker Clif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 03:50 AM   #14478
DIrTystack
journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 250
Re: ***** Official Dumb Questions Thread ****

Returning to poker after several years away from the game, and I was looking for micro/low stakes HU/NL hold'em games. I presume these exist? I have only been on stars but I cannot find any HU games in the lobby (on ipad app), I presume I am doing something wrong?

Also, I've read alot of 'GTO' around NL-HU? I presume this is nonsense and it is still a beatable format?

Thanks,
DIrTystack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 04:35 PM   #14479
daryl03
stranger
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 13
Re: ***** Official Dumb Questions Thread ****

play live poker for fun... just started playing online. so much info on this poker forum that i'm lost... Where do i start?
daryl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:00 PM   #14480
King Spew
Antici
 
King Spew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: pation
Posts: 11,506
Re: ***** Official Dumb Questions Thread ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIrTystack View Post
Returning to poker after several years away from the game, and I was looking for micro/low stakes HU/NL hold'em games. I presume these exist? I have only been on stars but I cannot find any HU games in the lobby (on ipad app), I presume I am doing something wrong?

Also, I've read alot of 'GTO' around NL-HU? I presume this is nonsense and it is still a beatable format?
I can't help you in regard to HU availability.

But GTO "nonsense"? Again, I don't play HU....but I would assume that HU play in the micros is much more difficult than when you played in the past (how long ago?). And because of the HU format, I assume that GTO strategy reaches closer to the micro area HU than with 6M or FR. I wouldn't know where the dividing line is (25NL?, 50NL?....10NL YIKES)....so really I have not much to offer. My best guess is that in the true micros, solid game play using an exploitive strategy is enough to allow you to play while you work out what works for you in today's poker environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl03 View Post
play live poker for fun... just started playing online. so much info on this poker forum that i'm lost... Where do i start?
Good question....and one that gets kicked around here on a fairly regular basis.

Go to main BQ page and look upper right for Search This Forum tab.

Type in stuff like "beginner online" and "online vs. live" and "where to start"........ endless phrases will get you HUNDREDS of threads directly addressing your query.

Good Luck.
King Spew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:04 PM   #14481
daryl03
stranger
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 13
Re: ***** Official Dumb Questions Thread ****

Thanks King, that helps a lot on navigating info on this site
daryl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:33 PM   #14482
Sneipen
stranger
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 2
Re: ***** Official Dumb Questions Thread ****

Is it loose to 3bet AJo PF in NL5 and NL 10 zoom?
Sneipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:04 AM   #14483
MMSS
veteran
 
MMSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,985
Re: ***** Official Dumb Questions Thread ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneipen View Post
Is it loose to 3bet AJo PF in NL5 and NL 10 zoom?
Who opened?
Stack sizes?
Did anyone call?
What position are you in?
MMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:59 AM   #14484
Sneipen
stranger
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 2
Re: ***** Official Dumb Questions Thread ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMSS View Post
Who opened?
Stack sizes?
Did anyone call?
What position are you in?
i see. Would you say its ok if I'm on the button and cutoff 2bet?

Is it better to just call/fold or only do it as a squeeze vs late positions? when I'm in blinds etc
Sneipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:52 PM   #14485
Weltcheftrainer
newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 28
Re: ***** Official Dumb Questions Thread ****

Where is the thread in which one can ask for rakeback deals? I want to know wheter there are some for 888.
Weltcheftrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:07 PM   #14486
King Spew
Antici
 
King Spew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: pation
Posts: 11,506
Re: ***** Official Dumb Questions Thread ****

HERE
King Spew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:53 PM   #14487
Mr. Big Stack
stranger
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Bad Beat Boulevard
Posts: 12
Re: ***** Official Dumb Questions Thread ****

I get email notifications that this thread has been updated. I tap on the link and it always takes me to page 1. Why?
Mr. Big Stack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:33 PM   #14488
King Spew
Antici
 
King Spew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: pation
Posts: 11,506
Re: ***** Official Dumb Questions Thread ****

Dunno. But easy to find the last page, yes?
King Spew is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online