Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Other Gambling Games Discussion about other gambling games.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2018, 10:33 PM   #1
JefPat
newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 40
Many questions about slot machines

Hey guys! I'm a poker player (obv), but I'm also curious about slots machines. How they work? Who programm their winrate and what is the rake in this kind of machine?

In Quebec/Canada per example, some slot machine only keep 8% for each dollars you put in (you can read this on the machine). How do they calculate this rake?

If I put 100$ on the machine, gamble until I only have 1$, win 98$ (total 99$), gamble again until I have 1$, win 97$, etc, until I got busto, how do the slot machine see his rake?

If you have a book on the subject or a video, feel free to post a link.

I'm just curious about the subject.

Thanks
JefPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:37 PM   #2
NewOldGuy
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In the wires
Posts: 5,329
Re: Many questions about slot machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefPat View Post
Hey guys! I'm a poker player (obv), but I'm also curious about slots machines. How they work? Who programm their winrate and what is the rake in this kind of machine?

In Quebec/Canada per example, some slot machine only keep 8% for each dollars you put in (you can read this on the machine). How do they calculate this rake?

If I put 100$ on the machine, gamble until I only have 1$, win 98$ (total 99$), gamble again until I have 1$, win 97$, etc, until I got busto, how do the slot machine see his rake?

If you have a book on the subject or a video, feel free to post a link.

I'm just curious about the subject.

Thanks
You simply design the wheels with the desired number of winning combinations, and then spin them randomly. Over time the combinations determines the payout and no control of the spins or outcomes needs to be used.
NewOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:54 AM   #3
Didace
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Didace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 13,979
Re: Many questions about slot machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOldGuy View Post
You simply design the wheels with the desired number of winning combinations, and then spin them randomly. Over time the combinations determines the payout and no control of the spins or outcomes needs to be used.
I don't think that's the way modern slots work. It's my understanding that they use a RNG and the result of the spin is determined when you hit the button. The spinning wheels are just for show.
Didace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #4
NewOldGuy
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In the wires
Posts: 5,329
Re: Many questions about slot machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didace View Post
I don't think that's the way modern slots work. It's my understanding that they use a RNG and the result of the spin is determined when you hit the button. The spinning wheels are just for show.
The principle is still the same. The main point for the OP is that spins are random and results are random, and in fact required to be by law in many places. The full result set possible on the machine contains the desired number of winning results to give the desired payouts while using random outcomes. There is no controlling of results of individual spins.
NewOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:14 AM   #5
elendil200
adept
 
elendil200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 932
Re: Many questions about slot machines

The payout odds on slots are misleading.You mentioned that the machine you were looking out has a return rate of 92% . The 92% is based off turn over, not cash in/cash out.
elendil200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:39 AM   #6
rainmaker1855
adept
 
rainmaker1855's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 946
Re: Many questions about slot machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didace View Post
I don't think that's the way modern slots work. It's my understanding that they use a RNG and the result of the spin is determined when you hit the button. The spinning wheels are just for show.
+1 this is true for pretty much any modern slot (you maybe could still find a few out there that are dated but anything flashy or fun nowadays is RNG-based.)

Also OP - as far as your scenario on how the slot machine gets their piece of the action: you're right that the scenario you outlined they really aren't making money. However, the scenario you described (while possible and certainly happens) is far less likely to happen over the huge volume of sessions a machine has.

Slot machines (which I personally enjoy playing from time to time) are great for casinos because they are one of the purest examples of a game that gets gamblers to falter based on the sunk cost fallacy. People put $100, $200, $1000+ into a machine and figure "probabilistically it has to hit at some point" so they keep chasing the money they've already put in and end up very quickly losing more.

I mean think about, slots are the place where real degens dont have to interact with another living soul, usually has some form of a huge exponential reward if you hit the jackpot, and it is completely play at your own pace with no stopping unless you choose to.
rainmaker1855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:09 PM   #7
JefPat
newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 40
Re: Many questions about slot machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker1855 View Post
+1 this is true for pretty much any modern slot (you maybe could still find a few out there that are dated but anything flashy or fun nowadays is RNG-based.)

Also OP - as far as your scenario on how the slot machine gets their piece of the action: you're right that the scenario you outlined they really aren't making money. However, the scenario you described (while possible and certainly happens) is far less likely to happen over the huge volume of sessions a machine has.

Slot machines (which I personally enjoy playing from time to time) are great for casinos because they are one of the purest examples of a game that gets gamblers to falter based on the sunk cost fallacy. People put $100, $200, $1000+ into a machine and figure "probabilistically it has to hit at some point" so they keep chasing the money they've already put in and end up very quickly losing more.

I mean think about, slots are the place where real degens dont have to interact with another living soul, usually has some form of a huge exponential reward if you hit the jackpot, and it is completely play at your own pace with no stopping unless you choose to.
Great post sir (sorry for assuming your gender), thanks!
JefPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:59 AM   #8
slotscrazy
stranger
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 1
Re: Many questions about slot machines

Hey - Im a BIG slot player and know a bit about the subject.

They are a very different set up to poker and the rake per hand. Everything is measured on Return to Player (RTP) and variance - the latter of which is as important as the first.

Most slots (online and offline) operate at around 95% RTP, though Progressive Jackpot Slots will usually have a lower RTP as a small % of wagering goes to the jackpot pool. So expect a big PJP to have an rtp of around 91-94%.

RTP overall is calculated on wagering - so if you wager $100 on average you would expect to get back $95. Obviously this is an average in reality your session will deviate from this.

And this is where variance comes in. Variance is the mathematical term for how far from the average a number will deviate. In a high variance game your session may deviate hugely from the norm which means you can get long periods where the payout is much lower than the 95% average, but then on a lucky session you could hit a 2000% RTP! So when you find a high variance game (you can ask where they are in an offline casino) what you can expect is long periods with little return followed by a massive jackpot payout. i..e you play these games for those big wins, but can expect a bit of frustration trying to hit them!

There's a list of current online high variance games on this site:

https://theslotbuzz.com/slot-games/h...machines-list/

On the other side are low variance slots where you will see regular small payouts, and almost all your play time will see you get about 95% back, with much less variation.

Aside from that, yes it is all RNG based, by law. The reels are just a representation of the outcome of running an algorithm. Its all about luck, no skill. But they can be a lot of fun, and there are some pretty crazy games out there.
slotscrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online