Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Business, Finance, and Investing Making money, investing in markets, and running businesses

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2020, 10:50 AM   #1
esspoker
old hand
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,499
World in 10 Years - What businesses to buy

This thread is for future growth - ten years and more.

Areas of interest:

Robotics
AI
Space
Genomics
Next gen internet
EV
Fintech

If you had to pick a few stocks to own for 10 years that will have exponential growth, which would they be?

some of mine:

SQ
AMZN
NVTA
CRSP
MSFT
NTLA
esspoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:52 AM   #2
Gullanian
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Gullanian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London
Posts: 14,015
Re: World in 10 Years - What businesses to buy

I can't think of many, but think MSFT and TSLA would be good picks.

I'm not sure what you mean by next gen internet, things like 5G? I'm not at all sold on 5G, but satellite internet perhaps.
Gullanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:58 AM   #3
GentlemanJack
adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 932
Re: World in 10 Years - What businesses to buy

I think Tesla is a horribly bad pick. Massive mistake to pick any companies with big ticket items.

I'm thinking about the 2008 crisis and what came out of that. Some of the best commentary I heard was around how people really got back to basics and just tried to keep themselves clothed and fed. What does that mean? It means that people figured out that there isn't a single thing you need at Best Buy but a million things you need at Wal Mart.

I'm going with Wal Mart.
GentlemanJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:01 AM   #4
Gullanian
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Gullanian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London
Posts: 14,015
Re: World in 10 Years - What businesses to buy

I think demand for EV's will only accelerate globally through both consumer demand and government incentives, and TSLA are far enough ahead of the game they stand to take the lions share of it all.

But, I am a complete amateur so could be completely wrong of course.
Gullanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:38 AM   #5
esspoker
old hand
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,499
Re: World in 10 Years - What businesses to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanJack View Post
I think Tesla is a horribly bad pick. Massive mistake to pick any companies with big ticket items.

I'm thinking about the 2008 crisis and what came out of that. Some of the best commentary I heard was around how people really got back to basics and just tried to keep themselves clothed and fed. What does that mean? It means that people figured out that there isn't a single thing you need at Best Buy but a million things you need at Wal Mart.

I'm going with Wal Mart.

Walmart is interesting because the future of groceries seems to me like Amazon, but Walmart hasn't been slowing down. For me I'm lazy and would love drones delivering all my groceries. Besides I just don't like going to wal mart.
esspoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:43 AM   #6
GentlemanJack
adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 932
Re: World in 10 Years - What businesses to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by esspoker View Post
Walmart is interesting because the future of groceries seems to me like Amazon, but Walmart hasn't been slowing down. For me I'm lazy and would love drones delivering all my groceries. Besides I just don't like going to wal mart.

You think like an OMC. You have clearly never used or seen the lines at Walmart grocery pickup.

Itís incredibly convenient. I can order the night before and chose a 1 hour window to pick up. I show up and they put the groceries in my trunk, donít even have to get out of the car. Itís a very very close second to Amazon Prime but actually beats Prime because you can get anything else from the store, it doesnít just have to be groceries. Prime is limited to groceries (ie Whole Foods).
GentlemanJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:49 AM   #7
GentlemanJack
adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 932
Re: World in 10 Years - What businesses to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gullanian View Post
I think demand for EV's will only accelerate globally through both consumer demand and government incentives, and TSLA are far enough ahead of the game they stand to take the lions share of it all.

But, I am a complete amateur so could be completely wrong of course.
An expensive car is still an expensive car, no matter what powers it. Any big ticket item stocks are going to suffer over the next 10 years.
GentlemanJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:53 PM   #8
Mr Spyutastic
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Mr Spyutastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 9,729
Re: World in 10 Years - What businesses to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanJack View Post
You think like an OMC. You have clearly never used or seen the lines at Walmart grocery pickup.
This statement is quite ironic.
Mr Spyutastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:54 PM   #9
GentlemanJack
adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 932
Re: World in 10 Years - What businesses to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spyutastic View Post
This statement is quite ironic.

Is there a problem here son?
GentlemanJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:44 PM   #10
Mr Spyutastic
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Mr Spyutastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 9,729
Re: World in 10 Years - What businesses to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanJack View Post
Is there a problem here son?
No grandpa.

I just found it amusing that you got on him for thinking like an OMC while in the same breath envisioning the future of grocery shopping to be drive up in parking lots instead of home delivery.
Mr Spyutastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:47 PM   #11
GentlemanJack
adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 932
Re: World in 10 Years - What businesses to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spyutastic View Post
No grandpa.

I just found it amusing that you got on him for thinking like an OMC while in the same breath envisioning the future of grocery shopping to be drive up in parking lots instead of home delivery.

It IS the future of grocery. You just lack the intelligence and social awareness to realize it.

Have you ever looked around you? Your neighbors? Their neighbors? Mary & Joe America? They canít afford delivery, they donít want Whole Foods. They donít want to pay service fees.

Sorry but your post was just plain dumb. Try not to do that again son.
GentlemanJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:51 PM   #12
Mr Spyutastic
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Mr Spyutastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 9,729
Re: World in 10 Years - What businesses to buy

lol ok. I guess you'd know better about being poor Joe America so I can't argue with you there.
Mr Spyutastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:27 AM   #13
chytry
Pooh-Bah
 
chytry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,915
Re: World in 10 Years - What businesses to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by esspoker View Post
This thread is for future growth - ten years and more.

Areas of interest:

Robotics
AI
Space
Genomics
Next gen internet
EV
Fintech

If you had to pick a few stocks to own for 10 years that will have exponential growth, which would they be?

some of mine:

SQ
AMZN
NVTA
CRSP
MSFT
NTLA
None of those will have exponential growth for the next 10 years. Will be very hard for them to sustain the current growth.
And certainly not a supermarket chain.
chytry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:54 AM   #14
jukofyork
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
jukofyork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,556
Re: World in 10 Years - What businesses to buy

Armoured vehicle manufacturers.

Juk
jukofyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:53 AM   #15
esspoker
old hand
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,499
Re: World in 10 Years - What businesses to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chytry View Post
None of those will have exponential growth for the next 10 years. Will be very hard for them to sustain the current growth.
And certainly not a supermarket chain.
You know what they say about criticism without offering a better alternative...

let's hear your ideas big guy
esspoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:55 AM   #16
esspoker
old hand
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,499
Re: World in 10 Years - What businesses to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukofyork View Post
Armoured vehicle manufacturers.

Juk

not sure if you're joking or not

military spending will likely rise if trump is reelected... or regardless, if the us and china face off. My pick would be RTX. SPCE could get interesting with their boeing and rolls royce backed engineering
esspoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:15 AM   #17
mrbaseball
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: shortstacked on the bubble
Posts: 11,365
Re: World in 10 Years - What businesses to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukofyork View Post
Armoured vehicle manufacturers.

Juk
This along with canned food and ammunition. The way things are going we are gonna be a smoking tire fire in 10 years.
mrbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:40 AM   #18
chytry
Pooh-Bah
 
chytry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,915
Re: World in 10 Years - What businesses to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by esspoker View Post
You know what they say about criticism without offering a better alternative...

let's hear your ideas big guy
Who is they?

There are companies with a lot of possible growth ahead but they are already trading at multiples 5 years ahead.
chytry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:29 AM   #19
jukofyork
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
jukofyork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,556
Re: World in 10 Years - What businesses to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by esspoker View Post
not sure if you're joking or not

military spending will likely rise if trump is reelected... or regardless, if the us and china face off. My pick would be RTX. SPCE could get interesting with their boeing and rolls royce backed engineering
I mean private armoured cars rather than military...

Basically the move to automation will accelerate greatly after COVID-19 blows over.

Then there are going to be a lot of farm workers, factory workers, call center workers, etc without jobs.

Then you just have to take a look at South Africa and most South/Central American countries to see where this is heading...

Juk
jukofyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:36 AM   #20
esspoker
old hand
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,499
Re: World in 10 Years - What businesses to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chytry View Post
Who is they?

There are companies with a lot of possible growth ahead but they are already trading at multiples 5 years ahead.
the same ones who come up with all the truisms

and me

if they're already trading by multiples 5 years ahead, in 10 years they should be trading at multiples 15 years ahead
esspoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:26 PM   #21
jukofyork
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
jukofyork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,556
Re: World in 10 Years - What businesses to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by esspoker View Post
Robotics
AI

Space
Genomics
Next gen internet
EV
Fintech
I should add that although the rise of automation is a certain, trying to pick any of the bolded things above is a really bad idea IMO...

It's akin to trying to pick the winners of the dot com bubble.

IMO, what you really want to be looking for are consequences of the inevitable rise of automation (ie: my suggestion above).

Juk
jukofyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:49 PM   #22
esspoker
old hand
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,499
Re: World in 10 Years - What businesses to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukofyork View Post
I should add that although the rise of automation is a certain, trying to pick any of the bolded things above is a really bad idea IMO...

It's akin to trying to pick the winners of the dot com bubble.

IMO, what you really want to be looking for are consequences of the inevitable rise of automation (ie: my suggestion above).

Juk
lol so invest in underground tunnels and cambells soup cans

Ok well how about investing in the winners of the race? You pick the top 3 and if one goes 10x and the other 2 go bust, you are way ahead

Amazon wasn't that hard to spot, back in the late 90s.. of course I didn't buy it or i wouldn't be here, now... but i wasn't looking
esspoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:25 PM   #23
chytry
Pooh-Bah
 
chytry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,915
Re: World in 10 Years - What businesses to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by esspoker View Post
the same ones who come up with all the truisms

and me

if they're already trading by multiples 5 years ahead, in 10 years they should be trading at multiples 15 years ahead
Maybe. Or their valuation will reverse to the mean as it has always done.
Or they will fail to continue that growth trajectory.
chytry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:37 AM   #24
Guy Incognito
old hand
 
Guy Incognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: LAS
Posts: 1,530
Re: World in 10 Years - What businesses to buy

I don't know about exponential, but after researching retirement communities for my mom and discovering the ridiculous prices they get away with charging, I really want to throw a big chunk into VTR for the next decade or 2.
Guy Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:03 AM   #25
esspoker
old hand
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,499
Re: World in 10 Years - What businesses to buy

Editas
Intellia
Crispr


Will save humanity and 1000x
esspoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online