Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Business, Finance, and Investing Making money, investing in markets, and running businesses

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2017, 07:59 PM   #3051
Smokey_The_Bear
old hand
 
Smokey_The_Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,625
Re: The Shark Tank

I can't believe they had that "see where they are now" flashback and it was Dudewipes. That seemed like the most ridiculous, destined to fail product ever, and now they're doing millions in revenue a year. Just crazy.
Smokey_The_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:59 PM   #3052
EddyB66
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
EddyB66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 22,006
Re: The Shark Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey_The_Bear View Post
I can't believe they had that "see where they are now" flashback and it was Dudewipes. That seemed like the most ridiculous, destined to fail product ever, and now they're doing millions in revenue a year. Just crazy.


The Pet Rock made over a million dollars. All you need to know.
EddyB66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:05 AM   #3053
RV-
journeyman
 
RV-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 323
Re: The Shark Tank

Guys, does this show have some educational value? Are seasons interlinked or I can start watching whichever seasons you recommend/I desire?
RV- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:33 AM   #3054
DrewOnTilt
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DrewOnTilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 106 miles to Chicago
Posts: 7,740
Re: The Shark Tank

It certainly has some educational value around basic business concepts. In my humble opinion there's even better value in the lessons about public speaking, getting interviewed, responding to questions and answers, and in general anticipating how your audience might behave or what questions they might ask.

You can watch the episodes and whatever what are you please, although I don't feel that the show really hit its stride until Mark Cuban joined somewhere around season three.
DrewOnTilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:18 PM   #3055
bip!
Slow Pony
 
bip!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: not on urban dictionary...
Posts: 12,908
Re: The Shark Tank

I watch in random unknown order that the DVR spits out. I have no complaints - every episode just as relevant as it ever was. Also, I like when I find out the show was 3 years ago and I can look up the company/post show/etc.

I think there is tremendous education from watching.
bip! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:35 AM   #3056
housenuts
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
housenuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Come With Me If You Want To Lift
Posts: 31,699
Re: The Shark Tank

Anyone remember the episode where Chris Sacca said don't get regulatory approval, just go with the idea and if the pbulic supports it enough, approval will come later or the government wll have a hard time shutting it down.

Trying to find that episode again. Please let me know if you remember which it is.
housenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:39 PM   #3057
OlafTheSnowman
centurion
 
OlafTheSnowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 160
Re: The Shark Tank

Well he's only been in 14 episodes so that narrows it down
OlafTheSnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:54 PM   #3058
karamazonk
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: N/A
Posts: 3,249
Re: The Shark Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by housenuts View Post
Anyone remember the episode where Chris Sacca said don't get regulatory approval, just go with the idea and if the pbulic supports it enough, approval will come later or the government wll have a hard time shutting it down.

Trying to find that episode again. Please let me know if you remember which it is.
Maybe something related to fighting parking tickets?
karamazonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:23 PM   #3059
karamazonk
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: N/A
Posts: 3,249
Re: The Shark Tank

^FWIW that company was named Fixed. And apparently Chris Sacca has retired from both VC work and Shark Tank.

This post also serves as a bump with the new season coming up.
karamazonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:01 AM   #3060
OlafTheSnowman
centurion
 
OlafTheSnowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 160
Re: The Shark Tank

Albertsons bought Plated for 200 mil
OlafTheSnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:04 PM   #3061
Love Sosa
veteran
 
Love Sosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: these bitches
Posts: 2,069
Re: The Shark Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV- View Post
Guys, does this show have some educational value? Are seasons interlinked or I can start watching whichever seasons you recommend/I desire?
Shark Tank's value mostly comes from what not to do because most of the ideas are crappy. This mostly stems from "wantrepreneurs" who try way too hard, and end up creating a product or service that nobody wants or needs. The educational value is therefore pretty minimal, as there's millions of things you shouldn't do.

Having said that, you do occasionally get people who are well versed in their industry and come up with cool stuff. But again, the only lesson there is to reach the pinnacle of your industry and create something revolutionary. That's not really something you can teach, you just do it.

You can watch whatever season, it's not a show requiring you to watch the episodes in succession. I usually pop one on while I'm eating dinner. You could do a lot worse in picking a TV show to watch, especially since the HBO golden age is long gone and we're stuck with some nerdy dragon crap.

Last edited by Love Sosa; 10-01-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Love Sosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:19 PM   #3062
Matty Lice
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,412
Re: The Shark Tank

Was tonight a new episode? What was the deal w/ Branson throwing water in Cuban's face? Looked so forced and for TV. You could tell Cuban was legit pissed.

As someone that has backpacked 40% of the AT, not sure what to make of that hammock company. They never once discussed weight which to me is the #1 factor. They sell it at $300 or whatever so I don't think it will have long term success. People pay good money because of how light it is. Everything out there protects you from the bugs, even those ****ty Wal-Mart tents that cost $25 but weigh 5 lbs. The whole "You don't have to sleep on the ground" part makes no sense because they have good air mattresses out there where you won't even feel any rocks or sticks.
Matty Lice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:30 PM   #3063
bbfg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
bbfg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11,496
Re: The Shark Tank

There's 2 new eps out. Only watched the 1st. Show felt a lot more produced than previous seasons. Branson is also clearly just there to have fun, kind of ruined the dynamic for me. Maybe I just have to get used to it.

Agree that the tents looked like way too bulky and a hassle, but I've seen people carry around huge ****ing tents before. If they can dominate a niche it might be a success.

Water throwing actually didn't look fake to me, Branson was just legit pissed off that Mark kept interrupting him. If it was set up it was really weird at which moment they did it, it was really confusing.
bbfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:48 PM   #3064
rafiki
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
rafiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 33,727
Re: The Shark Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Lice View Post
Was tonight a new episode? What was the deal w/ Branson throwing water in Cuban's face? Looked so forced and for TV. You could tell Cuban was legit pissed.

As someone that has backpacked 40% of the AT, not sure what to make of that hammock company. They never once discussed weight which to me is the #1 factor. They sell it at $300 or whatever so I don't think it will have long term success. People pay good money because of how light it is. Everything out there protects you from the bugs, even those ****ty Wal-Mart tents that cost $25 but weigh 5 lbs. The whole "You don't have to sleep on the ground" part makes no sense because they have good air mattresses out there where you won't even feel any rocks or sticks.
Man I dunno. I thought that too and then when you watch the longer clip after the episode where they go after, that looked real. None of those people are good enough actors for what happened at the end.

Fwiw I'm with Branson. Cuban and Damon acted like children.
rafiki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:54 PM   #3065
Smokey_The_Bear
old hand
 
Smokey_The_Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,625
Re: The Shark Tank

S9 E2 re: Airport App.

Man that was so satisfying to watch that get shut down. "Wait wait wait I work on this on the BUS on the way home from DC! It's not about the product it's about investing in the PERSON". Yeah, okay buddy.


Also IRT the meditation app: I agree, why **** on the woman for raising money for the business at a good valuation? I liked Branson's carefree no BS attitude with everything. I don't think the water throw was a made for TV thing, Cuban looked pretty damn pissed about it.
Smokey_The_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:58 PM   #3066
Smokey_The_Bear
old hand
 
Smokey_The_Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,625
Re: The Shark Tank

Oh yeah, huge lol at the "hoverboard wind tunnel glider" or w/e it was called. Literally 0% chance anyone EVER takes that up and "rides the Jetstream behind a plane".
Smokey_The_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:20 PM   #3067
Matty Lice
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,412
Re: The Shark Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfg View Post
There's 2 new eps out. Only watched the 1st. Show felt a lot more produced than previous seasons. Branson is also clearly just there to have fun, kind of ruined the dynamic for me. Maybe I just have to get used to it.

Agree that the tents looked like way too bulky and a hassle, but I've seen people carry around huge ****ing tents before. If they can dominate a niche it might be a success.

Water throwing actually didn't look fake to me, Branson was just legit pissed off that Mark kept interrupting him. If it was set up it was really weird at which moment they did it, it was really confusing.
If you are a serious backpacker/camper (which is what they seemed to be going after) everything comes down to weight. EVERYTHING.

I'll give you an example. When I backpacked the AT, my stove was an empty cat food can. It weighed less than an ounce and cost me 50 cents. I took a hole puncher like a kid uses, and punched holes in the sides of the can. Here's an example.



This shows you how to make it.

https://andrewskurka.com/2011/how-to...alcohol-stove/

This kind of MacGyvering is common with the people that they were trying to sell to. It might be a niche, but it's the wrong niche.
Matty Lice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:21 PM   #3068
feedmykids2
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,289
Re: The Shark Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey_The_Bear View Post
Oh yeah, huge lol at the "hoverboard wind tunnel glider" or w/e it was called. Literally 0% chance anyone EVER takes that up and "rides the Jetstream behind a plane".
If there was actually an endgame of wakeboarding behind a plane, I would pay for lessons in the wind tunnel to become proficient enough to do that. However, it seems like that is not the endgame...the endgame is just to go to the wind tunnel which is not the same at all (unless youre #1 in the world and can be hired to do it behind a plane to market the wind tunnel to people).

Obviously I'd want it to be similar risk as sky diving or base jumping or racing cars etc though which seems to be why they won't ever be able to make it viable.
feedmykids2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:00 AM   #3069
karamazonk
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: N/A
Posts: 3,249
Re: The Shark Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey_The_Bear View Post

Also IRT the meditation app: I agree, why **** on the woman for raising money for the business at a good valuation? I liked Branson's carefree no BS attitude with everything. I don't think the water throw was a made for TV thing, Cuban looked pretty damn pissed about it.
I'm actually on Mark and Daymond's side. That company simply did not need $600k and I think its representative came in knowing a deal was highly unlikely at that valuation but that they could bank on the value of being on the show. Many other companies have been similarly situated and like Daymond the opportunity costs to would be genuine pitchers piss me off. It was especially transparent this time because it was clear the company already had more $ than it needed and that the sharks wouldn't be adding much.

All that being said they shouldn't be angry with the representative but rather whoever is deciding which companies get to pitch on the show.

Last edited by karamazonk; 10-03-2017 at 08:08 AM.
karamazonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:35 AM   #3070
chezlaw
Limey Bastard
 
chezlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: London
Posts: 33,345
Re: The Shark Tank

Branson loves drama, publicity and attention.

Also, I don't think he appreciated Cuban's comment about his tourism in space company (which is an embarrassing joke at best). 'He will sell you a ticket!' lol
chezlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:45 AM   #3071
rafiki
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
rafiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 33,727
Re: The Shark Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamazonk View Post
I'm actually on Mark and Daymond's side. That company simply did not need $600k and I think its representative came in knowing a deal was highly unlikely at that valuation but that they could bank on the value of being on the show. Many other companies have been similarly situated and like Daymond the opportunity costs to would be genuine pitchers piss me off. It was especially transparent this time because it was clear the company already had more $ than it needed and that the sharks wouldn't be adding much.

All that being said they shouldn't be angry with the representative but rather whoever is deciding which companies get to pitch on the show.
Don't hate the player, hate the game!
rafiki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:25 AM   #3072
karamazonk
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: N/A
Posts: 3,249
Re: The Shark Tank

Airport app segment was painful to watch. Not really sure how the company ever could have made it on the show; idea was clearly way underdeveloped and/or trash to the point of it being insanity to invest in it. Kid walking back after everyone said no was the ultimate cringe and pretty much quintessential millennial entitlement. Glad they stopped sugarcoating their rejection.

Last edited by karamazonk; 10-05-2017 at 08:36 AM.
karamazonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:30 PM   #3073
rafiki
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
rafiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 33,727
Re: The Shark Tank

Man the chip company is painful. One of the worst things you can ingest when you have an autoimmune disease is corn. Anyone in the space that knows it would tell you that. Lol they invented the healthy oil to deliver the kid one of the worst things for his little body. Tragic.
rafiki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:58 AM   #3074
xnbomb
adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,126
Re: The Shark Tank

that airport app was sooooo bad, so f-ing awkward

dude with the skateboard is going to strike it rich. Might not be with that but he'll figure it out.
xnbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:36 PM   #3075
esspoker
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 1,037
Re: The Shark Tank

Cuban is a clown. Constantly threatened because Branson is cooler than him and a bigger man (more generous, more charismatic). Cuban has to be the big dog so the whole time was throwing insults at Branson and Branson stuck up for himself. Very cool.
esspoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online