Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Business, Finance, and Investing Making money, investing in markets, and running businesses

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2017, 03:42 PM   #101
JoeC2012
grinder
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Suplex City
Posts: 501
Re: Prop Trading Firm Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark "twang" View Post
Dude, you are a luckbox. Take the job. Enjoy being a luckbox. Most people in the corporate world are doing just that.

How do I know you're a luck box? You basically quit your job on a whim and decided to party and move around be directionless, just because you can beat degenerates in low stakes gambling.

You say you LOVE to trade, and are clueless to the fact that you could easily take a stable monkey-job AND STILL TRADE. Did you know that there are markets that allow you to trade 24-7 around-the-clock? Doesn't have to be during 9-5.

As others have alluded to, you're not that smart man. Beating degens in low stakes PLO does not make you that intelligent. You should snap up the opportunity for an employer to throw you 80K to do underwriting (zzzomg data entry in a spreadsheet, gotta pay 50k for a finance degree to learn that).

Once you have the stable income, you can learn other skills to transfer into working for yourself. It won't be easy, because most people with full time jobs get fat, destitute, arrogant, and lazy. But, if you are as dedicated as you say then you can make it happen.

If I sound mad, it's because it baffles me how f*cking good your situation is, and you are literally about to f*ck it up due to total stupidity. Just the typical millennial who expects life to be a f*cking perfect utopia instead of recognizing how good of a situation and opportunity you have at your finger tips.

First of all lol @ this guy, anyone who breaks out the "entitled millennial" argument should immediately be dismissed out of hand.

Trading part time appears to me to be the clear answer. You make a decent argument around not being able to see level 2 quotes, etc. during your day job. The solution to this is that you need to build algorithms that interpret this data for you. For one, I don't know why anyone in 2017 would want to hunker down over a trading screen rather than letting the automation do this for you (well I can think of a few reasons in niche markets but this doesn't apply to you). Second, the skill set you will need to build in order to do this is incredibly valuable.

Speaking of automation, you also need to think about how this will affect your day job. From my experience in the field, I predict automation will eat underwriting jobs left and right, and the field will look much different in 2025 than it does now. This is why I consider the day job not exactly a slam dunk opportunity.
JoeC2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:49 PM   #102
mark "twang"
banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 277
Re: Prop Trading Firm Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC2012 View Post
First of all lol @ this guy, anyone who breaks out the "entitled millennial" argument should immediately be dismissed out of hand.

Trading part time appears to me to be the clear answer. You make a decent argument around not being able to see level 2 quotes, etc. during your day job. The solution to this is that you need to build algorithms that interpret this data for you. For one, I don't know why anyone in 2017 would want to hunker down over a trading screen rather than letting the automation do this for you (well I can think of a few reasons in niche markets but this doesn't apply to you). Second, the skill set you will need to build in order to do this is incredibly valuable.

Speaking of automation, you also need to think about how this will affect your day job. From my experience in the field, I predict automation will eat underwriting jobs left and right, and the field will look much different in 2025 than it does now. This is why I consider the day job not exactly a slam dunk opportunity.
I say this to illustrate a point. His job is not difficult to do. It will likely be automated in the next ten years or so and someone is willing to pay him 80K to do it right now. Once he gets a couple years under his belt with a stable company, he should be able to build contacts and find easy positions to transition into within his industry if he is ever threatened with a lay off.

I worked a temp job in NYC when I was 21. I have also worked in a corporate firm before. The pace is sooooo f*cking slooooooow. You can literally perform your job half awake and half sober and nobody at the office notices or cares.

I am self-employed, and I can tell you that the life is really hard. I look back at the days I dreaded having a cubicle job and think to myself 'what the f*ck was I so upset about?" Everything about having a job is easier, other than waking up at 6am every day.

The only way being self-employed is for you is if you are literally obsessed with accomplishing something to the point of being anti-social and miserable. The discipline required to succeed will make you lonely and isolated.

It's not "easy" and "friendly" the way college was or the way your co-workers are when they talk about their plans for the weekend.

Take the easy money. Be slightly above-average than your co-workers. Bang the dumb slutty females at your company.

Easiest life ever.
mark "twang" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #103
Rikers
veteran
 
Rikers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in a moment
Posts: 2,325
Re: Prop Trading Firm Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark "twang" View Post
The only way being self-employed is for you is if you are literally obsessed with accomplishing something to the point of being anti-social and miserable. The discipline required to succeed will make you lonely and isolated.

It's not "easy" and "friendly" the way college was or the way your co-workers are when they talk about their plans for the weekend.

Take the easy money. Be slightly above-average than your co-workers. Bang the dumb slutty females at your company.

Easiest life ever.
lol, this post is awesome
so true, wp
Rikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #104
rand
veteran
 
rand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 314-oc
Posts: 3,460
Re: Prop Trading Firm Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikers View Post
lol, this post is awesome
so true, wp
I agree, but seriously, who wants that?

Growth happens at the margins of our experience. Rolla Coast all you want but just don't have a conversation with yourself when you are 80...
rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:36 PM   #105
Rikers
veteran
 
Rikers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in a moment
Posts: 2,325
Re: Prop Trading Firm Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand View Post
I agree, but seriously, who wants that?

Growth happens at the margins of our experience. Rolla Coast all you want but just don't have a conversation with yourself when you are 80...
I agree also

This is why I strongly advocated:

The GTO strategy is to always have someone to pay you until you become competent to be independent. So, yea, wp.


meaning, get a job where you see yourself to be long term...
Rikers is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online