Open Side Menu Go to the Top
Register
Any advice on making $ without school? Any advice on making $ without school?

10-16-2010 , 07:03 PM
If you have less then like a thousand in the bank, then go get a job. Stack shelves do something, work for whatever and save some money.

While your doing that read this book The 4-hour workweek by Tim Ferris.
Any advice on making $ without school? Quote
10-16-2010 , 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paratacus
If you have less then like a thousand in the bank, then go get a job. Stack shelves do something, work for whatever and save some money.

While your doing that read this book The 4-hour workweek by Tim Ferris.
That book is awful for someone such as OP. Its a thinly veiled marketing ploy. While I applaud the attitude, people who can't recognize whats useful and what isn't will just fall prey to Ferris's scam tactics.
Any advice on making $ without school? Quote
10-16-2010 , 09:27 PM
Marketing is the success of pretty much any product ever anyhow. But I'm pretty sure he'd get more out of reading that, then a book of economics from the library that he has been. Although I understand what you mean, sure there maybe some thinly veiled marketing crap to get through, but that aside there are many simple ideas and changes that could benefit just about anyone. Anyhow this isn't a book review so I'll leave it at that if he did want to flick through it.

One job that you can do though without school is working in the mines in a place like Australia (Perth) you can make like $100k AUD (well you could previously with the current economy jobs maybe a little more scarce) the Aussie dollar is like equivalent with the USD at the moment. I don't know what mining is around your ways, but it's a field that as long as you are in reasonably fit working condition you can make good money.

Quickly skimmed the thread I see oil rigs mentioned it's along similar lines I guess.
Any advice on making $ without school? Quote
10-17-2010 , 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry17
What other reason would someone choose to spend large amounts of time in a reality that is not real?
Because they possibly enjoy it more for entertainment purposes than other options?

Someone who goes to dine out at a restaurant instead of eat at home is doing so because it might be more preferable, but they could still very well enjoy eating at home too and it doesn't mean they are eating out to escape their crappy food.

It seemed as though you were basically suggesting that for someone to chose to play video games for large amounts of time that it's only when they are miserable in their real life. But I think a lot of the gamers into WoW and such just genuinely prefer whatever game they're immersed in over socializing.
Any advice on making $ without school? Quote
10-17-2010 , 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boobies4me
Because they possibly enjoy it more for entertainment purposes than other options?

Someone who goes to dine out at a restaurant instead of eat at home is doing so because it might be more preferable, but they could still very well enjoy eating at home too and it doesn't mean they are eating out to escape their crappy food.

It seemed as though you were basically suggesting that for someone to chose to play video games for large amounts of time that it's only when they are miserable in their real life. But I think a lot of the gamers into WoW and such just genuinely prefer whatever game they're immersed in over socializing.
I'm thinking the differeing view on video games depends on one's own time/work/life constraints. 10 years ago I loved video games. Now I only play when I am really bored with an hour or two to kill and can't think of something more productive to do in that timeframe.

Nothing wrong with enjoying video games if you are young and all your "work" is complete and you have idle time. As you get older and get busier, there is only so much free time you have (especially "me" time). I wouldnt' waste it playing video games.

Drinking.. now that's much more preferable.
Any advice on making $ without school? Quote
10-17-2010 , 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paratacus
If you have less then like a thousand in the bank, then go get a job. Stack shelves do something, work for whatever and save some money.

While your doing that read this book The 4-hour workweek by Tim Ferris.
I often wonder why so many people fall into this trap. Why do people constantly tell other people to "read this book" and then name some usual POS book that most people are in no position to accomplish or apply in their lives?

Out of curiosity, I did a quick search on the book and read a summary of the main topics. Without wasting too much of anyone's time : is this kid really going to apply any of this to his life in a life-changing manner? Have you met anyone who's ever read this book and then became financially free?

Most people who achieve financial freedom have high paying jobs which lead to financial freedom or own their own successfull business. Most everyone else works. Just like > 95% of all the people we've ever met.

Just reminds of of all the people who've told me I "had" to read Rich Dad Poor Dad, or Freakonomics, or whatever. I never read any of those books, and I don't ever plan to. What can they possibly teach me that I haven't already figured out on my own through sheer normal logic and casual observation?

Sure, let me build a nice little business that brings in 10k a week, I'll get someone to run it for me for 1k a week and I'll pay 500 a week for someone to be my personal assistant, and I'll live happy as pie.

Just help me out with step 1, please.
Any advice on making $ without school? Quote
10-17-2010 , 06:07 AM
By 'step 1' I presume you mean your first question, so here goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466
I often wonder why so many people fall into this trap. Why do people constantly tell other people to "read this book" and then name some usual POS book that most people are in no position to accomplish or apply in their lives?
Here's a better question.

Why do people attempt to critique a book they have never read?

At least Thremp has read it and gave a logical explanation for why he thought it didn't fit OP. I agreed with much of his main point and digressed on another. Criticism like that is absolutely fine. But when someone completely dismisses a book they have not read, well it defies logic.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, I did a quick search on the book and read a summary of the main topics.
Refer first paragraph.

Quote:
Without wasting too much of anyone's time
Sorry I apologize. I'm certain that they'd rather spend their precious time reading your incoherent dribble.

Quote:
: is this kid really going to apply any of this to his life in a life-changing manner?
*Takes out crystal ball*

Quote:
Have you met anyone who's ever read this book and then became financially free?
No Sir. But many testimonials are available online you just have to read through some of the 1026 reviews on Amazon. Of course though make sure you pay attention to the 2.63% of reviews that rated it 3 star or less. The other 97.37% of 4 and 5 star reviews are all written by kindergarten kids who had nothing better to do after their afternoon nap.

Also since when did being 'financially free' have anything to do with OP's initial question?

"Re: Any advice on making $ without school?"

Quote:
Most people who achieve financial freedom have high paying jobs which lead to financial freedom or own their own successfull business. Most everyone else works. Just like > 95% of all the people we've ever met.
So people who have highly paid jobs and business owners are financially free and everyone else works low paid jobs?

Well that's riveting to know. I don't see your point?

Maybe you just included this because your trying to break some record for the most spelling and grammatical errors in one post.

Quote:
Just reminds of of all the people who've told me I "had" to read Rich Dad Poor Dad, or Freakonomics, or whatever.
Rich Dad Poor Dad has a few good points, but your right I'm no Kiyosaki fan and I mostly dislike that book. Why you mention Freakonomics in the same category I have no clue, but Freakonomics is a great read. Albeit mostly for entertainment value. But it's good to see economics applied to real life situations and there are many great ideas to take from this book if you'd give up just a few hours of your precious time to read it.

Quote:
I never read any of those books, and I don't ever plan to.
OK we get it, you don't like to read. Cool story bro.

Quote:
What can they possibly teach me that I haven't already figured out on my own through sheer normal logic and casual observation?
Oh so you've figured out everything about economics and life already right? Good on you, maybe you should write the book then I can read it?

Quote:
Sure, let me build a nice little business that brings in 10k a week, I'll get someone to run it for me for 1k a week and I'll pay 500 a week for someone to be my personal assistant, and I'll live happy as pie.
Sounds like a great plan, I thought you'd be well on your way to this with your normal logic and casual observations though?

Quote:
Just help me out with step 1, please.
I see no 'step 1' so just decided to reply to your whole post.
Any advice on making $ without school? Quote
10-17-2010 , 06:36 AM
Well, if you waste your time reading things that are blatantly obvious, I guess you just fall into the category of all idiot masses in the world.

Cliffs : you're an idiot.
Any advice on making $ without school? Quote
10-17-2010 , 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paratacus
Here's a better question.

Why do people attempt to critique a book they have never read?
I haven't read the Secret either but I feel comfortable claiming it is garbage. This is no different.
Any advice on making $ without school? Quote
10-17-2010 , 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil318466
Well, if you waste your time reading things that are blatantly obvious, I guess you just fall into the category of all idiot masses in the world.

Cliffs : you're an idiot.
So books are for idiots because you know everything already, awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry17
I haven't read the Secret either but I feel comfortable claiming it is garbage. This is no different.
In one line Henry at least makes a decent point, that you've tried to make in many more. Although I don't put these two books in anywhere near the same category, least the logic behind his statement is somewhat sound. It's different because well they are different books. One is some pipe dream crap (heck even Amazon reviews tell you this), the other is real life advice that can be put in to practice.

The 4HWW actually provides useful examples and ideas, I'm not saying it's perfect, far from it. Just that there's information in it that's very useful, should you need to use it. For example explaining things like PPC advertising, how to trial different adverts, keywords and so on. How to find a market for a product, produce it, use fulfillment services. Plenty more simple advice as well. OK not the most riveting information in the world, but very usable.
Any advice on making $ without school? Quote
10-17-2010 , 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paratacus
1. So books are for idiots because you know everything already, awesome.

2. In one line Henry at least makes a decent point, that you've tried to make in many more. Although I don't put these two books in anywhere near the same category, least the logic behind his statement is somewhat sound. It's different because well they are different books. One is some pipe dream crap (heck even Amazon reviews tell you this), the other is real life advice that can be put in to practice.

3. The 4HWW actually provides useful examples and ideas, I'm not saying it's perfect, far from it. Just that there's information in it that's very useful, should you need to use it. For example explaining things like PPC advertising, how to trial different adverts, keywords and so on. How to find a market for a product, produce it, use fulfillment services. Plenty more simple advice as well. OK not the most riveting information in the world, but very usable.
1. - No, I never said books are for idiots. I do believe, however, most books won't teach you a damn thing. Critical thinking and being able to take in information and apply it to several situations is much more important than reading some guide and then trying to implement it, which in most cases ends in failure. I can say the Bible, all fiction and most self-help books are completel nonsense and it would simply be a difference of opinion. Your book falls into that category.

2. They are probably both equally trivial.

3. Honestly answer me this question : how often do you apply the tools or methods that are covered in this book? How often do you see others apply these with success starting with nothing?

We covered your book bro. Beat it.
Any advice on making $ without school? Quote
11-15-2010 , 07:27 PM
heh, a trailer i came across on youtube for some games made me think of this thread, haven't played a game in years but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry17
What other reason would someone choose to spend large amounts of time in a reality that is not real?
because you can't do this sh*t in real life without risking death:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtRnpC7ddv8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST16qnS_Vw4

im sure lots of dudes that go out for the sake of just going out and sipping beer would have more fun with that ****.

Games these days look amazingly fun. I actually don't play them mainly out of worry that it will be so much fun that it will detract from real life. Rather counter-intuitive since for many people the purpose is to enjoy life.
Any advice on making $ without school? Quote
11-15-2010 , 08:02 PM
Since you're an Ontario kid and you're 21, I'd suggest trying to get a job as a day trader at Swift. Much tougher than poker (I'd say 100 to 1 against long term), but no investment required other than your time. Worth a shot.
Any advice on making $ without school? Quote

      
m