Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

News, Views, and Gossip For poker news, views, and gossip

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
Honeyboy Wilson
centurion
 
Honeyboy Wilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dude, where is your car?
Posts: 198
Steve Wynn Opposes On-Line Poker?

Just saw this on Andy Bloch's twitter feed. http://twitter.com/Andy_Bloch

"Steve Wynn keeps coming up as the only major casino owner still against online poker. Consider that when deciding where to gamble in Vegas2:23 PM Jul 21st from Tweetie"

If this is true, Andy is dead right about voting with your dollars in Vegas.

F-Steve Wynn and F-playing at the Wynn Casino.

Can we get confirmation of this?
Honeyboy Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
JonHizall
old hand
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 1034 North Mount, first floor rear
Posts: 1,828
Re: Steve Wynn Opposes On-Line Poker?

he owns a casino
JonHizall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
blink20
veteran
 
blink20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: STL
Posts: 2,164
Re: Steve Wynn Opposes On-Line Poker?

well now im glad to know about that million dollar painting he put his arm through right after he sold it
blink20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
Jennabax
adept
 
Jennabax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 976
Re: Steve Wynn Opposes On-Line Poker?

of course he opposes internet poker/ online casinos
Jennabax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
jim_money
old hand
 
jim_money's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,421
Re: Steve Wynn Opposes On-Line Poker?



Andy Bloch is serious business. Story confirmed.
jim_money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:38 PM   #6
bluelexus23
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 49
Re: Steve Wynn Opposes On-Line Poker?

No Way! That's Great... WE'VE LANDED ON THE MOON!

bluelexus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:44 PM   #7
Honeyboy Wilson
centurion
 
Honeyboy Wilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dude, where is your car?
Posts: 198
Re: Steve Wynn Opposes On-Line Poker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHizall View Post
he owns a casino
Read the post. He's the ONLY casino owner to oppose on-line poker.

Harrah's and MGM are fully behind getting some form of legalized on-line poker here in the United States.
Honeyboy Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:52 PM   #8
Kneel B4 Zod
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Kneel B4 Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 27,952
Re: Steve Wynn Opposes On-Line Poker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennabax View Post
of course he opposes internet poker/ online casinos
Kneel B4 Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:08 PM   #9
SenatorKevin
veteran
 
SenatorKevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Santa Monica
Posts: 2,762
Re: Steve Wynn Opposes On-Line Poker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeyboy Wilson View Post
Read the post. He's the ONLY casino owner to oppose on-line poker.

Harrah's and MGM are fully behind getting some form of legalized on-line poker here in the United States.
And Wynn is the only major casino who isn't near bankruptcy at the moment. So what's your point.
SenatorKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:11 PM   #10
mustmuck
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,497
Re: Steve Wynn Opposes On-Line Poker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink20 View Post
well now im glad to know about that 139 million dollar painting he put his arm through right after he sold it
fyp
mustmuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:12 PM   #11
VectorWega
banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Highland Park, TX
Posts: 577
Re: Steve Wynn Opposes On-Line Poker?

So what if he opposes it? It's a completely understandable stance. Wynn is a visionairy. Why should he take the lemming approach of agreeing with the other owners just because they are for it? This thread is ridiculous.

If you want to boycott Wynn because of his stance that is your choice. However, know that I will reverse-boycott him because of your stance, and the effect I will have is 100 times greater than that of some internet poker geek.
VectorWega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:20 PM   #12
corporalburgundy
journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 379
Re: Steve Wynn Opposes On-Line Poker?

[ ] online
corporalburgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:26 PM   #13
OnlineHandle
banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Telly
Posts: 612
Re: Steve Wynn Opposes On-Line Poker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VectorWega View Post
So what if he opposes it? It's a completely understandable stance. Wynn is a visionairy. Why should he take the lemming approach of agreeing with the other owners just because they are for it? This thread is ridiculous.

If you want to boycott Wynn because of his stance that is your choice. However, know that I will reverse-boycott him because of your stance, and the effect I will have is 100 times greater than that of some internet poker geek.

so you gonna dump millies on the dice table to spite the internet poker geeks.
wp sir
OnlineHandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:27 PM   #14
SenatorKevin
veteran
 
SenatorKevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Santa Monica
Posts: 2,762
Re: Steve Wynn Opposes On-Line Poker?

Why does Bloch want poker legalized anyways? Does he realize one of the main reasons why FTP is so profitable is the fact that they stuck with the US market when the UIEGA was passed? More poker sites equals more competition and pressure to lower prices / rake for players. Do they really think the influx of new players is enough to offset that?
SenatorKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:31 PM   #15
holyground
centurion
 
holyground's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 176
Re: Steve Wynn Opposes On-Line Poker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenatorKevin View Post
Why does Bloch want poker legalized anyways? Does he realize one of the main reasons why FTP is so profitable is the fact that they stuck with the US market when the UIEGA was passed? More poker sites equals more competition and pressure to lower prices / rake for players. Do they really think the influx of new players is enough to offset that?
Most people feel that the current imbalance of the law cannot stay that way forever. Either poker is going to become enforcably illegal or they're going to fix/repeal UIEGA. If you owned/worked for FTP, which would you want to have happen?
holyground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:38 PM   #16
VectorWega
banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Highland Park, TX
Posts: 577
Re: Steve Wynn Opposes On-Line Poker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenatorKevin View Post
Why does Bloch want poker legalized anyways? Does he realize one of the main reasons why FTP is so profitable is the fact that they stuck with the US market when the UIEGA was passed? More poker sites equals more competition and pressure to lower prices / rake for players. Do they really think the influx of new players is enough to offset that?
I'm sure he does think that will be enough (ie smaller piece of a much larger pie). Also, as long as it isn't legalized in the US, FTP is at a huge risk of losing it's entire US player base overnight. That's not even mentioning the other potential legal issues that could arrise from a US citizen having an ownership stake in a company that makes money from illegal gaming.

Aside from that, he may just have a love for poker and wants to see the game grow.
VectorWega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:42 PM   #17
blink20
veteran
 
blink20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: STL
Posts: 2,164
Re: Steve Wynn Opposes On-Line Poker?

Quote:
So what if he opposes it? It's a completely understandable stance. Wynn is a visionairy. Why should he take the lemming approach of agreeing with the other owners just because they are for it? This thread is ridiculous.

If you want to boycott Wynn because of his stance that is your choice. However, know that I will reverse-boycott him because of your stance, and the effect I will have is 100 times greater than that of some internet poker geek.
fu

Quote:
I'm sure he does think that will be enough (ie smaller piece of a much larger pie). Also, as long as it isn't legalized in the US, FTP is at a huge risk of losing it's entire US player base overnight. That's not even mentioning the other potential legal issues that could arrise from a US citizen having an ownership stake in a company that makes money from illegal gaming.

Aside from that, he may just have a love for poker and wants to see the game grow.
A+

Victor i give you on my important rating scale that everyone cares about, 1/2 ITT
blink20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:51 PM   #18
MasterLJ
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MasterLJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California
Posts: 13,684
Re: Steve Wynn Opposes On-Line Poker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenatorKevin View Post
Why does Bloch want poker legalized anyways? Does he realize one of the main reasons why FTP is so profitable is the fact that they stuck with the US market when the UIEGA was passed? More poker sites equals more competition and pressure to lower prices / rake for players. Do they really think the influx of new players is enough to offset that?
There's nothing better than owning a business, getting it well established, then seeing a bunch of legislation that creates tons of barriers to entry.
MasterLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:52 PM   #19
Kneel B4 Zod
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Kneel B4 Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 27,952
Re: Steve Wynn Opposes On-Line Poker?

Quote:
Why should he take the lemming approach of agreeing with the other owners just because they are for it?
he shouldn't. but he should probably realize what everyone else has, and that's that online poker has helped the B&M casino industry, and that fully licensed and legalized online poker would help him out even more.

and he should probably realize that it's a potential new revenue stream for him.

Last edited by Kneel B4 Zod; 07-24-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Kneel B4 Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #20
Kneel B4 Zod
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Kneel B4 Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 27,952
Re: Steve Wynn Opposes On-Line Poker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterLJ View Post
There's nothing better than owning a business, getting it well established, then seeing a bunch of legislation that creates tons of barriers to entry.
eh, if poker was legalized in the US, it would be companies like Party, Betfair, etc who have played nice with the US Govt that would be first in line to get a license. companies like Full Tilt and Stars who have flipped their middle finger at the US would be last in line, and this would be after paying billions in penalties (similar to party)
Kneel B4 Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:54 PM   #21
Lisa Jonez
banned
 
Lisa Jonez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hitting a new low
Posts: 1,012
Re: Steve Wynn Opposes On-Line Poker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterLJ View Post
There's nothing worse than owning a business, getting it well established, then seeing a bunch of legislation that creates tons of barriers to continue growing it.
.
Lisa Jonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #22
MasterLJ
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
MasterLJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California
Posts: 13,684
Re: Steve Wynn Opposes On-Line Poker?

Lisa,

How on Earth is it a bad thing to have new barriers to entry added for a type of business where you are the top dog? That doesn't even make sense.
MasterLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:02 PM   #23
Freudian
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bat country
Posts: 5,839
Re: Steve Wynn Opposes On-Line Poker?

Wynn is probably taking a sensible business stance. He knows he isn't going have the brand name recognition of a Harrahs (with WSOP as brand name) if poker becomes regulated. Wynn is very much B&M.
Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #24
ParaRIOT!
banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 353
Re: Steve Wynn Opposes On-Line Poker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VectorWega View Post
So what if he opposes it? It's a completely understandable stance. Wynn is a visionairy. Why should he take the lemming approach of agreeing with the other owners just because they are for it? This thread is ridiculous.

If you want to boycott Wynn because of his stance that is your choice. However, know that I will reverse-boycott him because of your stance, and the effect I will have is 100 times greater than that of some internet poker geek.
You are posting in the same forum as this "internet poker geek."

Does that make you a 'wannabe' internet poker geek?

That's sad imo
ParaRIOT! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:07 PM   #25
blink20
veteran
 
blink20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: STL
Posts: 2,164
Re: Steve Wynn Opposes On-Line Poker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterLJ View Post
Lisa,

How on Earth is it a bad thing to have new barriers to entry added for a type of business where you are the top dog? That doesn't even make sense.
it makes sense if you think about it

The US can't justifiably leave full tilt out if its regulated, I mean I won't leave anything past the govt but that would just be ridiculous.

So, the current system has the potential to get even worse for these sites, even though we all love the old status quo, we all hate a trend toward less amateur US players joining online, and less accessibility towards our funds.

The impact for full tilt and stars I think if you made some predictions, completely opinion from me, I would say regulated is > then what we are trending to unregulated in terms of profitability for the sites.

And I also think it would be laughable to assume full tilt wouldn't be able to compete with new legal operations if there were something like a harrahs .com

Again all speculation by me so I could be 100% wrong.
blink20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online