Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

News, Views, and Gossip For poker news, views, and gossip

View Poll Results: After reading the article I think the Nevada Gaming Control Board will...
Side with the casino and invalidate the jackpot. 34 33.33%
Side with the players and rule that the jackpot should be paid. 68 66.67%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2017, 04:51 PM   #26
pocket_zeros
old hand
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,496
re: Stations casinos refuses to pay sf bad beat jackpot (poll added)

FYI, here are the official rules for Station's jackpot:

http://stationcasinospoker.com/docs/...ldEm-RULES.pdf
pocket_zeros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:00 PM   #27
Pyrochaos
grinder
 
Pyrochaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 685
re: Stations casinos refuses to pay sf bad beat jackpot (poll added)

Basically one guy effed up and cost everyone else the jackpot money.
Pyrochaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:49 PM   #28
Rich Checkmaker
old hand
 
Rich Checkmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,540
re: Stations casinos refuses to pay sf bad beat jackpot (poll added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrochaos View Post
Basically one guy effed up and cost everyone else the jackpot money.
cost himself 30k also.
Rich Checkmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:02 PM   #29
Ten5x
centurion
 
Ten5x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 118
re: Stations casinos refuses to pay sf bad beat jackpot (poll added)

I think if the action would be roughly the same whether or not you are talking about the bad beat, bad beat should always be paid. It's one thing if on the flop some dude flops quads and says "does anyone with a backdoor straight flush draw, let's check it down guys" or a bunch of clowns limping every hand and checking every hand down trying to hit the bbj. That's clearly in violation of the spirit of the bad beat jackpot. It's another thing that once it gets to the river and some guy excitedly shows a straight flush or even mentions "i hope we win the bad beat". Any hand that would also qualify for a bad beat would literally never fold so who cares.
Ten5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:35 PM   #30
A Train
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 83
re: Stations casinos refuses to pay sf bad beat jackpot (poll added)

The real bad beat is what happened to me on September 6th this year at red rock. I’ve got AJ lady has K10d, board AAJJQd. Under the old rules AAAJJ or better losing qualified. Jackpot was at 106k and the first time I’ve aver had Aces full of faces and lost. They took the BBJ out a few times and brought it back changing up the rules each time. Oh well.
A Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:47 PM   #31
Steve00007
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,483
re: Stations casinos refuses to pay sf bad beat jackpot (poll added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzesh View Post
Common sense:

!. If the winner had simply asked the dealer about jackpot or promo rules, without exposing his hand, then everything gets paid.
I would avoid doing this as it could have the same outcome. I wouldn’t discuss it with anyone when the hand is being played out.
Steve00007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:49 PM   #32
Professionalpoker
 
Professionalpoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Henderson of course.
Posts: 16,436
re: Stations casinos refuses to pay sf bad beat jackpot (poll added)

I remember when the Luxor opened and they had the large poker room, straight flush over straight flush was a super jackpot.
Professionalpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:55 PM   #33
Steve00007
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,483
re: Stations casinos refuses to pay sf bad beat jackpot (poll added)

From the article in the OP:

Quote:
Bluestein said Station invalidated the jackpot because of the financial loss it would take.
“It’s pure greed,” he said in the hearing. “They don’t care about locals. They say they do, but they don’t.”
It’s amazing how many people believe poker rooms start these promotions and give away $120k for free like that. They’re often shocked when rooms like Aria, Caesars and others refuse to bother with high hands, jackpots, etc.
Steve00007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:15 PM   #34
spax2
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 86
re: Stations casinos refuses to pay sf bad beat jackpot (poll added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve00007 View Post
From the article in the OP:



It’s amazing how many people believe poker rooms start these promotions and give away $120k for free like that. They’re often shocked when rooms like Aria, Caesars and others refuse to bother with high hands, jackpots, etc.
The beat is going to be hit anyway and the funds come from the bad beat drop. All they are saving is interest... station casinos are absolute morons if what is described happened.
spax2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:22 AM   #35
Steve00007
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,483
re: Stations casinos refuses to pay sf bad beat jackpot (poll added)

One of the players involved in the hand said this:

Quote:
Quote:
Schreter, who said he hasn’t returned to play at a Station poker room since the incident, said he exposed his cards because he knew he had won the hand and the pot.
That doesn’t make sense. What happens in other situations when he has a boat/flush/straigh/set on the river? Does he immediately show his cards instead of trying to get more money in the pot?

If there are chips left and he has a straight flush, then why expose the hand right away? Why not try to get more money in the pot? Did these players communicate to each other that they were winning the promotion before he flipped over his cards? Not sure what other reason there would be.


Quote:
Originally Posted by URMeowed View Post
There was a raise preflop and multiway action.

Flop came K54 all clubs. Checked around. Turn 3 of clubs. Checked around. River Q of hearts.

The guy with the 76 of clubs turns his hand over and inquires if there enough money in the pot for another promotion, which was highest three hands of the hours for something like $200-$300 If I recall correctly.
So he did all that checking and then flipped his hand over in a multiway pot? I’m even more confused.
Steve00007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:50 AM   #36
Playbig2000
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Playbig2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Suffern, NY
Posts: 6,686
re: Stations casinos refuses to pay sf bad beat jackpot (poll added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spax2 View Post
The beat is going to be hit anyway and the funds come from the bad beat drop. All they are saving is interest...
the whole point of the BBJ is to increase the revenue for the casino. When it gets high, more players come in to play. The casino would rather it not hit so it can go higher and draw in more players.
Playbig2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:55 PM   #37
spax2
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 86
Re: Stations casinos refuses to pay sf bad beat jackpot (poll added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playbig2000 View Post
the whole point of the BBJ is to increase the revenue for the casino. When it gets high, more players come in to play. The casino would rather it not hit so it can go higher and draw in more players.
I see your point... but word of mouth spreads quickly and the bad PR might hurt their business more than they realize. It is not like they have competition in Vegas or anything.
spax2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:00 PM   #38
3fiveofdiamonds
adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 756
Re: Stations casinos refuses to pay sf bad beat jackpot (poll added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve00007 View Post
One of the players involved in the hand said this:



That doesn’t make sense. What happens in other situations when he has a boat/flush/straigh/set on the river? Does he immediately show his cards instead of trying to get more money in the pot?

If there are chips left and he has a straight flush, then why expose the hand right away? Why not try to get more money in the pot? Did these players communicate to each other that they were winning the promotion before he flipped over his cards? Not sure what other reason there would be.




So he did all that checking and then flipped his hand over in a multiway pot? I’m even more confused.

I just guessing here but I may have worked out what was going through his mind. Player had a straight flush and was inquiring about the high hand payout. Maybe he thought that if the other player folded it wasn't eligible?
3fiveofdiamonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:32 PM   #39
Rich Checkmaker
old hand
 
Rich Checkmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,540
Re: Stations casinos refuses to pay sf bad beat jackpot (poll added)

why would the nevada gaming control board have a decision in what happens in a SF casino?
Rich Checkmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:49 PM   #40
wj94
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 6,820
Re: Stations casinos refuses to pay sf bad beat jackpot (poll added)

I play at RR often, heard from floor people that player clearly exposed hand before river action was complete. Everyone that plays at RR regularly knows the jackpot rules, yet these idiots still violate them anyway. Just a few weeks ago I was at a table where a player flopped quads and was first to act, he immediately turned his hand over and asked if it was a jackpot before anyone else could do anything. There have also been several instances of people hitting royal flush/quad jackpots for $10k+ where they didn't get $10 in the pot or showed their hand before the river and didn't get paid. One of the 1/2NL regs flopped quad kings for like $30k but didn't get $10 in the pot and everyone else folded. He bet something like $25 into $8 on the river. Nobody called. These are people that play at RR all the time! People are stupid.
wj94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:47 PM   #41
Dr. Meh
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,256
Re: Stations casinos refuses to pay sf bad beat jackpot (poll added)

It's a void. Showing his hand constitutes collusion against the house to win the jackpot.

I worked surveillance at a casino and we voided a $100,000 jackpot one time because the dealer did an improper wash and shuffle before the hand. When they verify these things, they look for any valid reason not to pay it out. Most times, it's all good and gets paid. But not all the time. This one seems cut and dry that it should be voided.
Dr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:28 PM   #42
Gzesh
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UTG
Posts: 1,364
Re: Stations casinos refuses to pay sf bad beat jackpot (poll added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Meh View Post
It's a void. Showing his hand constitutes collusion against the house to win the jackpot.

I worked surveillance at a casino and we voided a $100,000 jackpot one time because the dealer did an improper wash and shuffle before the hand. When they verify these things, they look for any valid reason not to pay it out. Most times, it's all good and gets paid. But not all the time. This one seems cut and dry that it should be voided.
(Calling Bob Nersesian.)

What casino did you say that was ?
Gzesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:26 PM   #43
Dr. Meh
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,256
Re: Stations casinos refuses to pay sf bad beat jackpot (poll added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzesh View Post
(Calling Bob Nersesian.)

What casino did you say that was ?
No case to be had here. Just in case, I won't tell you the name but I will say it's in California.
Dr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:06 PM   #44
URMeowed
journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Window sill
Posts: 373
Re: Stations casinos refuses to pay sf bad beat jackpot (poll added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Meh View Post
It's a void. Showing his hand constitutes collusion against the house to win the jackpot.

I worked surveillance at a casino and we voided a $100,000 jackpot one time because the dealer did an improper wash and shuffle before the hand. When they verify these things, they look for any valid reason not to pay it out. Most times, it's all good and gets paid. But not all the time. This one seems cut and dry that it should be voided.
How are they colluding when they are on the river and there is already enough money in the pot to qualify? Is the guy folding the smaller straight flush at any time for any amount on the river?
URMeowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:17 PM   #45
Dr. Meh
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,256
Re: Stations casinos refuses to pay sf bad beat jackpot (poll added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by URMeowed View Post
How are they colluding when they are on the river and there is already enough money in the pot to qualify? Is the guy folding the smaller straight flush at any time for any amount on the river?
Did the other guy know he had a smaller straight flush? No. Regardless, none of us are mind readers and have to go strictly by the rules since we don't know what the other guy would have done. In all likelihood, of course he would call. But because this dummy broke the rules because he was getting giddy about the probability of a jackpot, it's a void. It sucks but the casino isn't to blame and is right in voiding it. Tweedle Dum over there should never have shown.
Dr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:39 PM   #46
BartHanson
adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 752
Re: Stations casinos refuses to pay sf bad beat jackpot (poll added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Meh View Post
It's a void. Showing his hand constitutes collusion against the house to win the jackpot.

I worked surveillance at a casino and we voided a $100,000 jackpot one time because the dealer did an improper wash and shuffle before the hand. When they verify these things, they look for any valid reason not to pay it out. Most times, it's all good and gets paid. But not all the time. This one seems cut and dry that it should be voided.
Id really like to hear more about the specifics of this voided jackpot. Was there evidence that the dealer was somehow “loading” the deck? Or was this just case of improper shuffling technique?

If the cards were randomized I can’t see how the casino would win if this was brought up to the state gaming board or in court. There has to be more to this story.
BartHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:50 PM   #47
spence79
newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 37
Re: Stations casinos refuses to pay sf bad beat jackpot (poll added)

I'm curious how many people misread the poll question and voted for what they think should happen.

If it's not a reading comprehension fail then... I find your lack of lack of faith disturbing.
spence79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:58 PM   #48
Dr. Meh
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,256
Re: Stations casinos refuses to pay sf bad beat jackpot (poll added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartHanson View Post
Id really like to hear more about the specifics of this voided jackpot. Was there evidence that the dealer was somehow “loading” the deck? Or was this just case of improper shuffling technique?

If the cards were randomized I can’t see how the casino would win if this was brought up to the state gaming board or in court. There has to be more to this story.
This was about 10 years ago or so but if memory serves me correctly, it was a fresh deck and the dealer started with a wash in which the cards on top were never actually blended in with the deck. The dealer did not shuffle the standard number of riffle shuffles (I think only two were done). I feel like there was something else that was incorrect but I can't remember what it was. Of course, my job was just to cue up the video. The casino manager looked at it and made the decision to void based on possible dealer collusion. I can't remember what, if anything, happened to the dealer but I know the manage sure was nervous about going out there and breaking the news to the players that it had been voided.

We had a couple others after that where the wash was questionable but the rest of the shuffle process was correct so they allowed it. All the more reason to keep a close eye on your dealer and make sure everything is being done properly.
Dr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:05 PM   #49
Steve00007
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,483
Re: Stations casinos refuses to pay sf bad beat jackpot (poll added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Meh View Post
Did the other guy know he had a smaller straight flush? No. Regardless, none of us are mind readers and have to go strictly by the rules since we don't know what the other guy would have done. In all likelihood, of course he would call. But because this dummy broke the rules because he was getting giddy about the probability of a jackpot, it's a void. It sucks but the casino isn't to blame and is right in voiding it. Tweedle Dum over there should never have shown.
This guy didn’t know that he had that great of a chance to win a bbj so why isn’t he betting the river or betting any street at all? If he didn’t bet because of the high hand promotion instead then wow.
Steve00007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:05 PM   #50
Steve00007
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,483
Re: Stations casinos refuses to pay sf bad beat jackpot (poll added)

I wonder how much this cost the dealer. They want big tips for stuff like this and sometimes they get it.
Steve00007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online