Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

News, Views, and Gossip For poker news, views, and gossip

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2017, 06:34 PM   #51
dappadan777
adept
 
dappadan777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 827
Re: Pokerstars Power Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afteryastack View Post
I'm not a pro. I'm a rec player who plays most weekends and some week nights after work. From my point of view, I think this "innovation" is complete and utter sh*te to be honest.

Pokerstars should be a site for traditional poker. If you want all this arcade type rubbish, have a separate app and wack it all in there.

Beat the clock and those rubbish 18 man hyper SKOs are bad enough. This is another step in the wrong direction. I know a few people who no longer play poker online because of other commitments. The blog mentions re-attracting these type of people to poker by creating this. I can tell you now, there is no chance this is re-attracting anyone who used to play poker, because this offering is not poker, you may aswell go to the pub and play on a fruit machine.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
+1
dappadan777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:33 PM   #52
TrustySam
journeygirl
 
TrustySam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: depositing and lending on Kiva
Posts: 3,222
Re: Pokerstars Power Up

Wasn't sure from the description if they were going to be selling extra power ups for people to use as many as they want, like they do with Candy Crush? In the picture it looks like everybody has 2 or 3, so maybe everybody gets the same amount? And it looks like a Spin & Go, if it starts with something like 25bbs and 3 people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Imp View Post
Every gimmick so far has ridiculous rake - Spins 8%, Beat The Clock 10%. Given the trend 15% honestly wouldn't be surprising.
Probably

Last edited by TrustySam; 02-15-2017 at 10:43 PM.
TrustySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:03 PM   #53
RTinnion
journeyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 326
Re: Pokerstars Power Up

Man this sucks, it's going to attract hearthstone and other gamer idiots who won't respect my raises.
RTinnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:00 AM   #54
poiulkjh
banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 182
Re: Pokerstars Power Up

I think its nice and a very good try

We need to expand the player pool

FORGET THE RED OCEAN

LETS GO TO THE BLUE OCEAN BABY

anyone here read this?

poiulkjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:28 AM   #55
NerdSuperfly
old hand
 
NerdSuperfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: just shillin', yo
Posts: 1,924
Re: Pokerstars Power Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afteryastack View Post
I'm not a pro. I'm a rec player who plays most weekends and some week nights after work. From my point of view, I think this "innovation" is complete and utter sh*te to be honest.

Pokerstars should be a site for traditional poker. If you want all this arcade type rubbish, have a separate app and wack it all in there.

Beat the clock and those rubbish 18 man hyper SKOs are bad enough. This is another step in the wrong direction. I know a few people who no longer play poker online because of other commitments. The blog mentions re-attracting these type of people to poker by creating this. I can tell you now, there is no chance this is re-attracting anyone who used to play poker, because this offering is not poker, you may aswell go to the pub and play on a fruit machine.
don't get me wrong, but you sound a bit 'too old', which would mean, that you're most likely not the target audience. demanding that an operator keeps up 'traditional poker' while the market clearly shifts to fast mobile games (not to mention the rise of esports) is beyond delusional.


Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisoldcorn View Post
Amaya is just pushing away mid to high volume players to other sites.

What other company on planet earth spends all their time trying to kill their best customers?
yeah, they must be really nervous if all the rakeback grinders, which are obviously the most important customers to them, want to leave and i bet other rooms will rub their hands and welcome the masses with open arms
NerdSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:10 AM   #56
StraightFlooosh
adept
 
StraightFlooosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: DANGER ZONE
Posts: 705
Re: Pokerstars Power Up

Looks fun would play. Games like Hearthstone have a huge young audience, thinking this is bad in any way is pretty shortsighted imo.
StraightFlooosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:01 AM   #57
Hood
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Hood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 99 problems but a TT+ just ship pf
Posts: 6,707
Re: Pokerstars Power Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post
Wasn't sure from the description if they were going to be selling extra power ups for people to use as many as they want, like they do with Candy Crush? In the picture it looks like everybody has 2 or 3, so maybe everybody gets the same amount? And it looks like a Spin & Go, if it starts with something like 25bbs and 3 people?
You can see from the other screenshot that cards have a cost of 2-5. I would guess there's a drafting stage in the game. So say you get six points to spend in the store at the start of every tournament (which, as you note, seem to be 3 handed shortstacked games) and you decide whether to buy 3 2x cards, a 4x and a 2x, two 3x, etc.
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:05 AM   #58
Afteryastack
grinder
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 411
Re: Pokerstars Power Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdSuperfly View Post
don't get me wrong, but you sound a bit 'too old', which would mean, that you're most likely not the target audience. demanding that an operator keeps up 'traditional poker' while the market clearly shifts to fast mobile games (not to mention the rise of esports) is beyond delusional.




yeah, they must be really nervous if all the rakeback grinders, which are obviously the most important customers to them, want to leave and i bet other rooms will rub their hands and welcome the masses with open arms
Demanding? Not really. It's more of a rant than anything.

Wouldn't surprise me if you were on the team that set this thing up.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Afteryastack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:35 AM   #59
siebenacht
veteran
 
siebenacht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,496
Re: Pokerstars Power Up

Just in case they're not messing up the other formats, i think this looks very interesting.
siebenacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:39 AM   #60
NerdSuperfly
old hand
 
NerdSuperfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: just shillin', yo
Posts: 1,924
Thumbs up Re: Pokerstars Power Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afteryastack View Post
Demanding? Not really. It's more of a rant than anything.

Wouldn't surprise me if you were on the team that set this thing up.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
maybe 'expecting' would haven been better than demanding, i'm sorry. but like you said yourself, you just posted a rant. good for you. leave some angry comment behind, if that makes you feel better. i couldn't give a f*** less.

But the difference between an opinion (From my point of view, I think this "innovation" is complete and utter sh*te to be honest) and a statement (Pokerstars should be a site for traditional poker [...] This is another step in the wrong direction) is, that i can argue about the latter. Hence my reference to the mobile market and the growing esports sector, which are facts.

last, but not least, "the team that set this thing up" isn't interested, what you think, b/c - like i said previously - you're not the target audience. I really don't get it, why people still argue about the casino expansion, which was not only planned before Amaya took over, but is necessary to keep the big boat afloat. I personally don't like Casino games, i hate slots and i don't need a sportsbook within the client. i would be fine, with the 'good ole PS', but this is where the market heads. i don't say that a poker only platform can exist (e.g. i'm really looking forward, what RIO poker will look like), but all the big competitors are Casinos/Sportsbooks.

tl;dr: if you don't like it, don't play. but don't claim, this is a failure, just b/c you're not the target audience
NerdSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:14 AM   #61
OMGClayDol
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
OMGClayDol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 10,817
Re: Pokerstars Power Up

as someone who used to play competitive tcg, this seems pretty interesting and fun.. but the problem is that in poker, there is so much variance that 'winning' isn't really fun unless you win for money, so i can't see this being too fun unless the rake is beatable. thinking of the most strategically benefical way to play cards isn't very rewarding/fun if it increases your chances of winning more chips arbitrarily. the luck factor is too high for winning to feel good/have bragging rights, so profit is pretty important.
in chess if you win, you feel like you accomplished something/outplayed your opponent but in this it would still seem like you just got lucky (which doesnt matter if you have some profits)
in general the crowd it attracts i imagine will be far less gambly type players, and much more younger/strategical/smart/thinking players and that in itself is already bad (from a how beatable is it standpoint). ofc it could still be beatable though.
OMGClayDol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:48 AM   #62
Solari
journeyman
 
Solari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 290
Re: Pokerstars Power Up

Looking forward to High Stakes Yugioh battles by the end of the year
Solari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:02 AM   #63
poiulkjh
banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 182
Re: Pokerstars Power Up

Poker Players source of money is humanity stupidity

The more different games with some sort of skill we have the better

Being against this is just a prove that you are afraid of not being able to adapt
poiulkjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:13 AM   #64
nickjehz
old hand
 
nickjehz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: OhSnap!
Posts: 1,794
Re: Pokerstars Power Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisoldcorn View Post
What a joke! Amaya is run by morons. Combining poker with hearthstone and magic the gathering. Another Amaya cash grab by hiding what is the rake. Since the recent Pokerstars rake increase, I've dropped 2 star levels and attained higher Status on 3 other sites (888, PKR, and Party). Amaya is just pushing away mid to high volume players to other sites.

What other company on planet earth spends all their time trying to kill their best customers?

If I was an Amaya shareholder, I'd want upper management and the Board gone. Imagine if Toyota's management spent all their time trying to build cars that would make someone want to go buy a Honda?
what???
Does this make sense to you if you will re-read your own post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afteryastack View Post
I'm not a pro. I'm a rec player who plays most weekends and some week nights after work. From my point of view, I think this "innovation" is complete and utter sh*te to be honest.

Pokerstars should be a site for traditional poker. If you want all this arcade type rubbish, have a separate app and wack it all in there.

Beat the clock and those rubbish 18 man hyper SKOs are bad enough. This is another step in the wrong direction. I know a few people who no longer play poker online because of other commitments. The blog mentions re-attracting these type of people to poker by creating this. I can tell you now, there is no chance this is re-attracting anyone who used to play poker, because this offering is not poker, you may aswell go to the pub and play on a fruit machine.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Then stick to traditional poker and dont play any other stuff they offer... problem solved?
you are bashing a company about stuff they offer you personally dont like, just dont play it and play the stuff they offer you like...

I really don't get all the fuzz about this kinda releases... if you like it play it, if you don't then don't..
Having a wide variety of games etc.. brings in new players that might eventually show up in your game of choice.
nickjehz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:24 AM   #65
Afteryastack
grinder
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 411
Re: Pokerstars Power Up

I think a lot of the frustration boils down to their focus on new offerings which aren't related to traditional poker.

They don't seem to be doing anything for most of their customers- poker players. I'm sure if a new tournament series was announced alongside this power up thing, people wouldn't feel so irritated.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Afteryastack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:27 AM   #66
Afteryastack
grinder
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 411
Re: Pokerstars Power Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdSuperfly View Post
maybe 'expecting' would haven been better than demanding, i'm sorry. but like you said yourself, you just posted a rant. good for you. leave some angry comment behind, if that makes you feel better. i couldn't give a f*** less.

But the difference between an opinion (From my point of view, I think this "innovation" is complete and utter sh*te to be honest) and a statement (Pokerstars should be a site for traditional poker [...] This is another step in the wrong direction) is, that i can argue about the latter. Hence my reference to the mobile market and the growing esports sector, which are facts.

last, but not least, "the team that set this thing up" isn't interested, what you think, b/c - like i said previously - you're not the target audience. I really don't get it, why people still argue about the casino expansion, which was not only planned before Amaya took over, but is necessary to keep the big boat afloat. I personally don't like Casino games, i hate slots and i don't need a sportsbook within the client. i would be fine, with the 'good ole PS', but this is where the market heads. i don't say that a poker only platform can exist (e.g. i'm really looking forward, what RIO poker will look like), but all the big competitors are Casinos/Sportsbooks.

tl;dr: if you don't like it, don't play. but don't claim, this is a failure, just b/c you're not the target audience
Point taken.

I posted a rant because I guess they wanted some feedback on this thing before its rolled puy. My feedback just happened to be a rant and I was also giving feedback from a recreational player POV because it seems reg players get a lot of stick for constantly "moaning".

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Afteryastack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:53 AM   #67
anuj22
veteran
 
anuj22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,036
Re: Pokerstars Power Up

This looks very fun and I guess this is what Dneg was talking about.

People are gonna love this on twitch!
anuj22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:20 AM   #68
shahrad
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,589
Re: Pokerstars Power Up

The reason why poker market is not growing are not the good poker players but lots of very rich people who hate it to see them winning.
For example Pokerstars/Amaya doesn't promote poker anymore. They don't say: Hey when you play spin and go you will lose so much and so much so fast. Or when you play slots than you will lose your money so much and so much and so fast. And they don't say: If you work on your game, you can become a winner at poker but at the same time they make poker more and more difficult to beat. No, they don't say any of them. They say when you play poker with good players at the table you will lose your money fast and we want to protect you, play (no matter how much you lose at spin&go (this they don't mention ofc)) rather Spin&Go where you have the chance to become a millionaire. Rich people and rich companies are knavish foxes. They don't let their customers read their mind, one can only be sure it is nothing good. They only want your money as fast as possible without you recognizing it. The best professional sellers they sell their product in a way that their customers think they did gain a lot.

Last edited by shahrad; 02-16-2017 at 10:30 AM.
shahrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:50 AM   #69
TheDonkeyFish
centurion
 
TheDonkeyFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: on the range
Posts: 153
Re: Pokerstars Power Up

This seems like the kind of poker variant that'll draw in new blood fresh fish from the Millennials generation. I wonder how long it'll be before NLHM starts being called "Classic Hold'em" by the younger players?
TheDonkeyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:29 PM   #70
persephoney
enthusiast
 
persephoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Faerūn
Posts: 68
Re: Pokerstars Power Up

It still looks like it's going to be less fun than hearthstone, it's almost like a ****ty CCG with a gambling element. I also find it somewhat hard to believe that the pros were "smiling and asking to play again" but hopefully I am wrong :-)
persephoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:11 PM   #71
Duncelanas
Pooh-Bah
 
Duncelanas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Losing money at husngs
Posts: 5,013
Re: Pokerstars Power Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by persephoney View Post
It still looks like it's going to be less fun than hearthstone, it's almost like a ****ty CCG with a gambling element. I also find it somewhat hard to believe that the pros were "smiling and asking to play again" but hopefully I am wrong :-)
No, everyone genuinely comparing this game to ccgs is pretty far off base. This is not a "ccg with gambling," it's much more "nlhe with a twist."
Duncelanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:03 PM   #72
flanderz
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 81
Re: Pokerstars Power Up

Some people are really stupid, poker is dying basically everywhere. You are never gonna get another boom by trying the same things you did in 2004.
This move is pretty smart however you can never guarantee something will succeed.

Gaming has completly exploded, the gaming companies are making more money than pokerstars can dream of. There's so many young people willing to spend their money recklessly, trying to get a piece of the pie from hearthstone and other players might be pokers last attempt to save itself.
flanderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:28 PM   #73
SrslySirius
Animated Character
 
SrslySirius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,770
Re: Pokerstars Power Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by persephoney View Post
It still looks like it's going to be less fun than hearthstone, it's almost like a ****ty CCG with a gambling element. I also find it somewhat hard to believe that the pros were "smiling and asking to play again" but hopefully I am wrong :-)
If you could collect cards and build decks, I think I would actually be seriously interested.
SrslySirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:34 AM   #74
GreekHero12
centurion
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 110
Re: Pokerstars Power Up

well to be fair they don't explain much...I think that they want changes bad for regulars and good for recs...if the changes attract recs and fishes the pros would come after them...i still believe that the rake increase is bad for everybody bad they have their agenda...i don't think that they want their corporation to die...it's the theory of pendulun clock,at the 2006-2011 the poker was at is best and now is a tough time but better times will come
GreekHero12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:19 AM   #75
ArtyMcFly
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ArtyMcFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Enchantment Under the Sea
Posts: 8,374
Re: Pokerstars Power Up

A post from 2014 about the future of online poker:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokes View Post
Poker is fundamentally a math-based card game. I happen to be a big fan of math-based card games, but for most people they are "boring". In the fast-paced world of online social gaming, I don't think card games can realistically compete with exploding piggies, power-ups and 3D graphics...
Unless Stars can "reinvent" poker in such a way that it can compete with the likes of Candy Crush, online poker will die...
If Pokerstars Power Up is a massive success, I hope that guy receives some royalties.
ArtyMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online