Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

News, Views, and Gossip For poker news, views, and gossip

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 02:29 PM   #126
VP$IP
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
VP$IP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Zero Millions
Posts: 6,841
Re: Negreanu and Brunson fall for confidence tricksters.

Much hotter with the sticker, imo.
VP$IP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:37 PM   #127
ManWithBrisk
enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 69
Re: Negreanu and Brunson fall for confidence tricksters.

This is a really good video. Everything from a short change to magnet therapy to ESP.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...9972338925774#
ManWithBrisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:38 PM   #128
David Sklansky
Administrator
 
David Sklansky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 13,886
Re: Negreanu and Brunson fall for confidence tricksters.

When I was given these strips, I immediately thought how the claims for them were highly susceptible to the placebo effect. And I felt nothing. Too bad for me. This syndrome by the way is discussed in the chapter Placebos and Peeping Toms in my new book DUCY.
David Sklansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:45 PM   #129
VP$IP
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
VP$IP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Zero Millions
Posts: 6,841
Re: Negreanu and Brunson fall for confidence tricksters.

Phil Hellmuth would not have fallen off his chair if he had been wearing the magical chemically treated strips that change your brain chemistry ...

http://www.bestpokermoments.com/2009...r-by-bad-beat/
VP$IP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #130
BatsShadow
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,564
Re: Negreanu and Brunson fall for confidence tricksters.

I'm sure it's just a placebo effect, but Doyle definitely believes it works. He tweeted about it yesterday about playing without pain. I was confused about it at the time; this is interesting.

also...in after David.
BatsShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #131
nnkkoo
stranger
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6
Re: Negreanu and Brunson fall for confidence tricksters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1skander View Post
27AllIn. I would like to buy your rock.
I also would like to put a bid in.
nnkkoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:07 PM   #132
thoth_hermes
adept
 
thoth_hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: here, now
Posts: 804
Re: Negreanu and Brunson fall for confidence tricksters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroRoller View Post
Good video. I would also recommend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_MzP2MZaOo
&
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRilLMNRFPc
thoth_hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #133
iSpitHotFire
centurion
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 101
Re: Negreanu and Brunson fall for confidence tricksters.

So under your guys logic promoting a product is only wrong if it's a complete waste. Even assuming DN is in on the scam and profiting off it, I disagree and don't see the standard here. It's perfectly fine to endorse a T-shirt that costs more because of a logo? Or an athlete endorsing shoes claiming its the reason for his success when obv he doesn't believe that. Tons of little kids blowing 150 bucks on 30 dollar shoes because they saw MJ on a commericial is ok b/c well u can still use the shoes but a few bucks on band aids is immoral. Truth is DN's pokerstars commericials are way worse but they get ppl at the tables so u guys dont care. :P
iSpitHotFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:20 PM   #134
John Wray
aka JimmyLegs
 
John Wray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: @TheMicros
Posts: 2,125
Re: Negreanu and Brunson fall for confidence tricksters.

Awesome article in Psychology Today:

Magical Thinking

One of the most fascinating tidbits is that magical thinking is strongly linked to dopamine in the brain. By administering L-Dopa (which turns to dopamine once it gets into the brain) to skeptical thinkers, they could turn them into "believers". Dopamine is also linked to our ability to feel pleasure, spot patterns in randomness, athletic prowess, addiction... and compulsive gambling. Looked at this way, it's no wonder that superstition and magical thinking is rampant in the gambling world. And unfortunately it makes a lot of poker players prime targets for frauds like the magic Band-Aid.

Several people have said they think Daniel's perpetrating a fraud here. I find this highly unlikely. This is the guy who disassociated himself from UB long before there were any public allegations simply because he thought Russ & some of the other people involved were shady. It just doesn't seem in character for Daniel to be scamming people for money. I think he got ambushed and swept up in the demonstration, and gave a sincere thumbs up for a product he thought was legit. But he's a smart guy and now just needs to zero in on the illogic of the whole thing.
John Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #135
John Wray
aka JimmyLegs
 
John Wray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: @TheMicros
Posts: 2,125
Re: Negreanu and Brunson fall for confidence tricksters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iseedeadmoney View Post
Do I sense a new topic for Brain Fail in the works or was this covered in the superstition episode?
It was covered, but this Negreanu thing hits so close to home for poker players I may have to revisit the topic in an upcoming episode.
John Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #136
DaycareInferno
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DaycareInferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,279
Re: Negreanu and Brunson fall for confidence tricksters.

its great how many people drop in just to defend scamming in general.
DaycareInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #137
Freudian
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bat country
Posts: 5,839
Re: Negreanu and Brunson fall for confidence tricksters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSpitHotFire View Post
So under your guys logic promoting a product is only wrong if it's a complete waste. Even assuming DN is in on the scam and profiting off it, I disagree and don't see the standard here. It's perfectly fine to endorse a T-shirt that costs more because of a logo? Or an athlete endorsing shoes claiming its the reason for his success when obv he doesn't believe that. Tons of little kids blowing 150 bucks on 30 dollar shoes because they saw MJ on a commericial is ok b/c well u can still use the shoes but a few bucks on band aids is immoral. Truth is DN's pokerstars commericials are way worse but they get ppl at the tables so u guys dont care. :P
The difference is that there is no claim that a t-shirt is anything but a t-thirt or that a shoe is anything but a shoe. If MJ had claimed his Nike shoes had some kind of paranormal abilities, he too would have been called a scammer.

Hope that clears it up for you.
Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:28 PM   #138
DaycareInferno
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DaycareInferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,279
Re: Negreanu and Brunson fall for confidence tricksters.

plus even if it was a scam, at least you'd still have some ****ing shoes and not some worthless ass sticker
DaycareInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #139
AceMuncher
veteran
 
AceMuncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: floating with 72o
Posts: 2,427
Re: Negreanu and Brunson fall for confidence tricksters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
If MJ had claimed his Nike shoes had some kind of paranormal abilities, he too would have been called a scammer.
At least you can walk with a pair of shoes.. what can you do with a worthless sticker except hiding a freshly squeezed zit or a bad shaving cut ?
AceMuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #140
PayMyBillsYo
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: stalling at the final table
Posts: 176
Re: Negreanu and Brunson fall for confidence tricksters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolnout View Post
i need some for my penis
Dude, this thread is about energy strips, not wart cream.
PayMyBillsYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:40 PM   #141
blah_blah
old hand
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,660
Re: Negreanu and Brunson fall for confidence tricksters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parlay Slow View Post
Well doyle and daniel are both christians so this isn't exactly breaking new ground
well played

surprised 1) that DN thought that that was a reasonable defense 2) that Sklansky posted in this thread so early and 3) lol holograms.
blah_blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #142
Omaha Chris
old hand
 
Omaha Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Anywhere in poker but at the table
Posts: 1,233
Re: Negreanu and Brunson fall for confidence tricksters.

Interesting.
Omaha Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:47 PM   #143
krushing
newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 35
Re: Negreanu and Brunson fall for confidence tricksters.

They claim the strips interact with the body's energy, as some advanced form of acupuncture. While this is clearly a scam (based on the misdirection in the demonstration video), the theory it exploits is interesting.

Traditional science explains this "life force energy" as low luminescence photons emitted from biological cells resulting from some excess thermodynamic breakdown. The more biophotons from a cell, the more unhealthy it is based on it having more free radicals.

Some researchers (professors, PhDs) believe the low light has some type of macro coherent field (for cellular communication) that relates to the health of our body. This "light" is the so-called human aura but it can be seen with test equipment like PMTs which can detect individual photons. However, most scientists believe it is just excess energy.

I have seen a glass disc that can allegedly interact with this field have an amazing effect on plants but never seen any real proof. There is a cool particle physics model that explains how it could work - http://www.tachyonmodel.com

(Trying to not let the scam artists dilute interesting science.)
krushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:47 PM   #144
John Wray
aka JimmyLegs
 
John Wray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: @TheMicros
Posts: 2,125
Re: Negreanu and Brunson fall for confidence tricksters.

John Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:49 PM   #145
David Sklansky
Administrator
 
David Sklansky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 13,886
Re: Negreanu and Brunson fall for confidence tricksters.

To be clear, I am not saying that the product doesn't work. I am saying that it didn't work for me. And that the claims that it makes involve symptoms that are often helped by a placebo. Those two facts have an impact on the probability that the strips are legitimate, but they don't prove that they are not.
David Sklansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:54 PM   #146
David Sklansky
Administrator
 
David Sklansky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 13,886
Re: Negreanu and Brunson fall for confidence tricksters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyLegs View Post
One of the most fascinating tidbits is that magical thinking is strongly linked to dopamine in the brain. By administering L-Dopa (which turns to dopamine once it gets into the brain) to skeptical thinkers, they could turn them into "believers".
I doubt that happens to skeptics who are well trained in science and logic. I'm guessing this would only work with people who have a psychological predisposition to be skeptics rather than people who can think well.
David Sklansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:56 PM   #147
you won, don't sho
old hand
 
you won, don't sho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pope of Chili Town
Posts: 1,999
Re: Negreanu and Brunson fall for confidence tricksters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaycareInferno View Post
they keep people from pushing your arms down while you're trying to play?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroRoller View Post
These will come in handy for all the times you raise QQ UTG, stick out your arm and someone tries to push it down.
FINALLY!!! This was one of my biggest leaks. I'm ordering at least 12 boxes today, will give a TR after ldo w/ graphs and pie charts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyLegs View Post
It was covered, but this Negreanu thing hits so close to home for poker players I may have to revisit the topic in an upcoming episode.
I really enjoyed your Brain Fail series and this really fits in with the topics discussed perfectly.

To DN: Have you watched that video series? You REALLY REALLY should if you haven't and if you have, wtf?
you won, don't sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:58 PM   #148
John Wray
aka JimmyLegs
 
John Wray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: @TheMicros
Posts: 2,125
Re: Negreanu and Brunson fall for confidence tricksters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sklansky View Post
To be clear, I am not saying that the product doesn't work. I am saying that it didn't work for me. And that the claims that it makes involve symptoms that are often helped by a placebo. Those two facts have an impact on the probability that the strips are legitimate, but they don't prove that they are not.
But the burden of proof should be on them, should it not? And the only "proof" we've seen so far is the Applied Kinesiology parlor trick that HAS in fact been discredited in multiple double-blind studies.
John Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:02 PM   #149
corporalburgundy
journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 379
Re: Negreanu and Brunson fall for confidence tricksters.

MORE JIMMY LEGS
corporalburgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:03 PM   #150
Johnny Douglas
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Johnny Douglas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: blog.jcarter.ca
Posts: 8,475
Re: Negreanu and Brunson fall for confidence tricksters.

The one thing I can't fathom in the video is why DN didn't do the second test on the girl? Why would he trust the strip guy when he could very easily check out the claims himself?
Johnny Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2010, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online