Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

News, Views, and Gossip For poker news, views, and gossip

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2018, 07:52 AM   #201
namisgr11
grinder
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 535
Re: Molly's Game Movie out!

I think she needed the proceeds from the book to pay her attorney fees.
namisgr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:32 AM   #202
bbfg
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
bbfg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11,521
Re: Molly's Game Movie out!

Just watched it. Start is way too slow but by the end I wasn't annoyed by the slow start, it built up a foundation that was necessary. I do think the movie went a bit over the top with making Molly look like a saint. Still entertaining & cool movie. Couple of questions:

*Who is the player Tobey Maguire staked?
*Was Tobey Maguire really the huge dick as portrayed in the film ('i like to ruin lifes', staking players in games without disclosing, ****ing Molly over for no reason,...)?
*Are these events in any way related to Tobey Maguire his acting career going to ****?
*Did that 'get me Molly, where is Molly' exchange really happen?
bbfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:34 PM   #203
auralex14
adept
 
auralex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,173
Re: Molly's Game Movie out!

-the book says his name, he was just a friend of Toby's, not a celeb
-the book portrays Toby as a dick, and it seems reasonable to assume the stories of his dickish ways are accurate
-I doubt it. Toby isn't leading man material. He is or was married to the daughter of a studio head, I imagine that's why he got the breaks he did.
-don't remember reading that in the book, but seems plausible.
auralex14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:07 PM   #204
e1cnr
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,464
Re: Molly's Game Movie out!

I saw it and have to say I would have took the deal and got my $4 million back - unless I am missing something...
e1cnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:30 PM   #205
Gin 'n Tonic
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Gin 'n Tonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Reclining my seat
Posts: 6,176
Re: Molly's Game Movie out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1cnr View Post
I saw it and have to say I would have took the deal and got my $4 million back - unless I am missing something...
Even though her testimony was supposed only to 'add color' there's a non-zero chance that Russian mobsters have her whacked because they believe she's shopped them to the Feds. Also integrity, I suppose.

But yeah, I'm also taking the $4m.
Gin 'n Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:43 AM   #206
THAY3R
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
THAY3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Que?
Posts: 33,871
Re: Molly's Game Movie out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLSoldier View Post
Grunching:

What am I missing here. They spend the entire movie focusing on her NOT naming the names to keep her integrity or whatever...but in the ACTUAL book (apparently not the fictitious book referenced in the movie) she DOES name ALL the names. Are they just hoping everyone is too lazy to read the book? The movie was entertaining but the entire thing makes almost 0 sense in the context of the actual book.
The movie makes it clear that the only names she named in the book were names already leaked to the press via the subpoena(I may not have this exact, but that's the gist)

Are you saying that's not true?
THAY3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:45 AM   #207
SootedPowa
old hand
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,947
Re: Molly's Game Movie out!

Only skimmed the last post or two but I read the book and A-Rod was named for one.
SootedPowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:49 AM   #208
THAY3R
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
THAY3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Que?
Posts: 33,871
Re: Molly's Game Movie out!

I edited my post because I think ARod's name was already leaked when the MLB investigated him.
THAY3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:11 PM   #209
Bobo Fett
2+2 Ad Man
 
Bobo Fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canada, eh!
Posts: 46,787
Re: Molly's Game Movie out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THAY3R View Post
The movie makes it clear that the only names she named in the book were names already leaked to the press via the subpoena(I may not have this exact, but that's the gist)
That's how I understood it as well.

Did some Googling:

http://time.com/5073577/true-story-mollys-game/

Quote:
Aaron Sorkin doesn’t name the celebrity players who frequented Bloom’s game in the film, but Bloom does identify some of them in her book, including Ben Affleck, Tobey Maguire and Leonardo DiCaprio. However, she only names people who had already been exposed in the media before her book hit shelves, protecting other players from exposure.
http://www.historyvshollywood.com/re...s/mollys-game/

Quote:
Who were some of the celebrities who played in Molly Bloom's poker games?
Molly ran two underground games that attracted some of Hollywood's biggest stars, including Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Macaulay Culkin, Alex Rodriguez, Pete Sampras and others. In her book, Bloom only mentions the celebrities who had already been outed in the media prior to the book being published. She stayed silent on the others, protecting their identities.
https://nypost.com/2018/01/02/how-th...ollywood-bigs/

Quote:
While Bloom refused to be the first to reveal who sat at her table, she was willing to talk about her well-known clients once their names got out.
Bobo Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:05 PM   #210
NLSoldier
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
NLSoldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hello Ted
Posts: 23,932
Re: Molly's Game Movie out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THAY3R View Post
The movie makes it clear that the only names she named in the book were names already leaked to the press via the subpoena(I may not have this exact, but that's the gist)

Are you saying that's not true?
Yeah it's not true. The whole movie is based on a lie. She names way way more than the "4 already named" names in the book.
NLSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:11 PM   #211
Bobo Fett
2+2 Ad Man
 
Bobo Fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canada, eh!
Posts: 46,787
Re: Molly's Game Movie out!

But were there only 4 that had already been named?
Bobo Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:06 AM   #212
Well Read Ted
grinder
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 547
Re: Molly's Game Movie out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THAY3R
The movie makes it clear that the only names she named in the book were names already leaked to the press via the subpoena(I may not have this exact, but that's the gist)
There's a difference between just naming people as players and writing about some of their actions (in the private game) that has a negative impact on their reputation. For example from memory Tobey did not come off very well in the book. But I guess dirty laundry is what sells books, especially when its celebrities dirty laundry.

Last edited by Well Read Ted; 02-02-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Well Read Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:39 PM   #213
BHDonkey
grinder
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 409
Re: Molly's Game Movie out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by auralex14 View Post
-the book says his name, he was just a friend of Toby's, not a celeb
-the book portrays Toby as a dick, and it seems reasonable to assume the stories of his dickish ways are accurate
-I doubt it. Toby isn't leading man material. He is or was married to the daughter of a studio head, I imagine that's why he got the breaks he did.
-don't remember reading that in the book, but seems plausible.

Tobey was married to Jennifer Meyer...daughter of Ron Meyer - head of Universal and co-founder of CAA. However, they didn't get married until 2007 - 5+ years after the first Spiderman. In fact, you could argue that his career went downhill after the marriage!

But, living in LA and knowing many in entertainment, Tobey is supposed to be an incredible tool. One reason that he rarely works anymore perhaps.
BHDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:47 PM   #214
MiRee446
old hand
 
MiRee446's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,715
Re: Molly's Game Movie out!

Movie was entertaining for sure but overall pretty bad. Good popcorn movie. The last 20 minutes were LOL bad...starting with Idris Elba giving this impassioned speech in the middle of a quiet police investigator meeting. Are we supposed to sympathize with her? "Oh no they took all of her money she has to buy soft pretzels instead of hot dogs!"

Running in to her father at the ice skating rink was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in a movie. And the end "oh she's picking herself up and moving forward...so BRAVE!"
MiRee446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:28 AM   #215
mamija
stranger
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 3
Re: Molly's Game Movie out!

I watched it yesterday in cinema and its impressive
mamija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:46 PM   #216
TheFly
old hand
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,832
Re: Molly's Game Movie out!

So I got an e-mail from Total Rewards a few days ago with a Q code that says it's good for admission to any AMC theatre only for Mollys Game. So I go watch it yesterday, for free haha.

Have to say, I guess I'll be the salmon swimming upstream here but I didn't think the movie was that great to be honest. I thought long stretches of the film dragged on with not much advance in the narrative. The flashback scenes with daddy teaching ski-girl daughter got repetitive and boring. And a lot of the screenplay dialogue I thought was predictable and uninteresting, such as:

Attorney: "Why are you so concerned about your name?"
Bloom: "Because it's MY name,....and I only have one"
Cue the long dramatic pause as if something earth-shattering or revealing was just said, zzzzzzzz.

Plus, the entire movie seemed to be more of an infomercial to sell Molly's book than an actual movie. How many scenes showed her book, talking about her book, referencing her book, reading her book? Seemed like a 2-hour book pitch more than anything.

I guess for a free flick I shouldn't complain, but it's not the great movie I was expecting based on all the glowing reviews out there.
TheFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:12 PM   #217
Stu Ungar
Pooh-Bah
 
Stu Ungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,933
Re: Molly's Game Movie out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiRee446 View Post

Running in to her father at the ice skating rink was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in a movie.
I read the book and thought it was great. I really enjoyed the movie too.

But the ice skating scene was the most ridiculous scene in a movie since the boat ride when the chicken got his head cut off in the original Willie Wonka movie..WTF was that?
Stu Ungar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:31 PM   #218
Sir Donkington III
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 78
Re: Molly's Game Movie out!

Thought it was pretty decent flick man. Chastain and Elba have good chemistry together.

It's an entertaining biopic that involves poker, not quite a full on poker movie.

In fact, the discussions about setting up the playing rooms, arranging the accoutrements of the game, talking about the credit lines, players tilting, all of that was way more enthralling to me than the couple of poker hand analsys spots.

Decent flick, it is hurt a little by the constant insinuation of certain names but not quite going there (the yankees guy recruitment spot) but overall it's still worth a watch.
Sir Donkington III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:31 AM   #219
Utah_CUtiger
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,368
Re: Molly's Game Movie out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprigjr View Post
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The book did drag out the legal proceedings a little too much. What else has that actress been in, she looks familiar.

Zero Dark Thirty, Interstellar
Utah_CUtiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online