Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

News, Views, and Gossip For poker news, views and gossip.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2009, 02:54 PM   #101
Rich Muny
Former PPA President
 
Rich Muny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 28,003
Re: Minnesota to Prohibit Access Between Residents and Gambling Sites.

I submitted the article to digg, at http://digg.com/politics/Minn_orders_telecoms_to_block_online_access_to_pok er_sites
Rich Muny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:54 PM   #102
beanie
old hand
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: BluffLand
Posts: 1,393
Re: Minnesota to Prohibit Access Between Residents and Gambling Sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pot Odds RAC View Post
AFL-CIO
I meant ACLU and will me wearing a scarlet M on my forehead for the rest of the day;-)
beanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:55 PM   #103
Rich Muny
Former PPA President
 
Rich Muny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 28,003
Re: Minnesota to Prohibit Access Between Residents and Gambling Sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGambool View Post
I did hear back from the Electronic Frontier Foundation, they're looking into it but obviously dont have much beyond that at this point. They are at least aware of it. ACLU members should contact that organization as well.
PPA pulled together a good pro-freedom group for the KY case (including EFF). It should be easier this go-around.
Rich Muny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:59 PM   #104
beanie
old hand
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: BluffLand
Posts: 1,393
Re: Minnesota to Prohibit Access Between Residents and Gambling Sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
PPA pulled together a good pro-freedom group for the KY case (including EFF). It should be easier this go-around.
wurd!
beanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:00 PM   #105
pdoran10
Pooh-Bah
 
pdoran10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,333
Re: Minnesota to Prohibit Access Between Residents and Gambling Sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
dugg

Time to get to work fighting this!
pdoran10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:04 PM   #106
Uglyowl
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Uglyowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Why did we fight to leave England
Posts: 6,384
Re: Minnesota to Prohibit Access Between Residents and Gambling Sites.

Dugg.... Front page = many people seeing this...get digging
Uglyowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:10 PM   #107
Pot Odds RAC
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Degentleman and a Scholar
Posts: 4,368
Re: Minnesota to Prohibit Access Between Residents and Gambling Sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanie View Post
You are for regulation I am unsure. Mostly I would just like the government to leave my freedoms alone.

If regulation ultimately does happen I would not be against it if it were under the right conditions. You calling for the card rooms to crawl at the feet of the government and beg for forgiveness is ridiculous.

Americans buy goods from billion dollar companies all the time without regulation. We live in a world wide economy.

Ok, you got me on the whole splitting hairs thing. ISP blocking is not common as you seem to be suggesting. It will indeed be argued as a free speech issue given that playing online poker is not an illegal activity.

Better?
Marginally.
Pot Odds RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:10 PM   #108
LetsGambool
banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 26,578
Re: Minnesota to Prohibit Access Between Residents and Gambling Sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
PPA pulled together a good pro-freedom group for the KY case (including EFF). It should be easier this go-around.
Im sure, I figure the more people they hear from, the better

I shot a message to Dick Armey's FreedomWorks group too and emailed the Governor's office expressing my displeasure
LetsGambool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:12 PM   #109
deeshen13
centurion
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 174
Re: Minnesota to Prohibit Access Between Residents and Gambling Sites.

Start sending Tim Pawlenty emails, he has the executive power over his directors of different agencies. Tell him your displeasure. Tell him you are a long-time Republican supporter (if you are i guess), which includes individual freedoms. Tell him this new legislation restricts your freedom. Tell him you won't support him in the future in the primary elections. Let's get on this!

tim.pawlenty@state.mn.us
deeshen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:14 PM   #110
Smokey711
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 94
Re: Minnesota to Prohibit Access Between Residents and Gambling Sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeshen13 View Post
Start sending Tim Pawlenty emails, he has the executive power over his directors of different agencies. Tell him your displeasure. Tell him you are a long-time Republican supporter (if you are i guess), which includes individual freedoms. Tell him this new legislation restricts your freedom. Tell him you won't support him in the future in the primary elections. Let's get on this!

tim.pawlenty@state.mn.us
e-mailed the Gov... I think those of us in the metro should engage in some type of civil disobedience to protest this.
Smokey711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:15 PM   #111
Punker
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Punker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: McJesus saves
Posts: 7,715
Re: Minnesota to Prohibit Access Between Residents and Gambling Sites.

"U.S. Code, Title 18, Section 1084, (d)"

What exactly does this say, as it's being cited as the justification for this move?
Punker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:17 PM   #112
Minneapolis Ace
journeyman
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 285
Re: Minnesota to Prohibit Access Between Residents and Gambling Sites.

This state pisses me off sometimes. I will be calling, faxing, emailing, sending letters, etc! This is complete BS, if they have so many issues then build state run casinos like Iowa did to filter in more money. I think Iowa built 5 in the last few years. Ughhh a sad day for Poker in MN.
Minneapolis Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:17 PM   #113
Kevmath
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: @Kevmath
Posts: 28,240
Re: Minnesota to Prohibit Access Between Residents and Gambling Sites.

New article on the Star Tribune about the attempting blocking:

http://www.startribune.com/local/440...nDaycUiacyKUUr

Quote:
The state is citing a federal law that requires "common carriers," a term that mainly applies to phone companies, to comply with requests that they block telecommunications services used for gambling.

But Internet service providers are not common carriers, meaning it's unlikely that a court would compel an ISP to comply with Minnesota's request, said John Morris, general counsel at the Center for Democracy and Technology in Washington.
Kevmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:18 PM   #114
cheer
veteran
 
cheer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: long
Posts: 2,375
Re: Minnesota to Prohibit Access Between Residents and Gambling Sites.

I live in MN and have some questions to clarify the direct impact on us poker players:

1. What is a VPN and has anyone used one to get around a block like this? What is the legality of something like this?

2. Will my account get sized if I try to play?

3. Can I still connect to FTP/Stars without getting frozen access? Is this only for xxxxx.com which means I still can play and access the client to play on?

4. What does this mean for me?

Last edited by cheer; 04-29-2009 at 03:23 PM.
cheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #115
Speel Posher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Speel Posher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: check me out, im grindin...
Posts: 7,355
Re: Minnesota to Prohibit Access Between Residents and Gambling Sites.

i would love to know when online poker was deemed illegal but other than that its a pretty decent article for us imo
Speel Posher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:24 PM   #116
uppie_
old hand
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,673
Re: Minnesota to Prohibit Access Between Residents and Gambling Sites.

From Chicago sun times.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/...042909.article

Last edited by Kevmath; 04-29-2009 at 03:31 PM. Reason: removed c+p of article, same link as the Star Tribune article
uppie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:24 PM   #117
Pot Odds RAC
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Degentleman and a Scholar
Posts: 4,368
Re: Minnesota to Prohibit Access Between Residents and Gambling Sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punker View Post
"U.S. Code, Title 18, Section 1084, (d)"

What exactly does this say, as it's being cited as the justification for this move?
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/1084.html

Transmission of wagering information; penalties
(a) Whoever being engaged in the business of betting or wagering knowingly uses a wire communication facility for the transmission in interstate or foreign commerce of bets or wagers or information assisting in the placing of bets or wagers on any sporting event or contest, or for the transmission of a wire communication which entitles the recipient to receive money or credit as a result of bets or wagers, or for information assisting in the placing of bets or wagers, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.

(b) Nothing in this section shall be construed to prevent the transmission in interstate or foreign commerce of information for use in news reporting of sporting events or contests, or for the transmission of information assisting in the placing of bets or wagers on a sporting event or contest from a State or foreign country where betting on that sporting event or contest is legal into a State or foreign country in which such betting is legal.

(c) Nothing contained in this section shall create immunity from criminal prosecution under any laws of any State.

(d) When any common carrier, subject to the jurisdiction of the Federal Communications Commission, is notified in writing by a Federal, State, or local law enforcement agency, acting within its jurisdiction, that any facility furnished by it is being used or will be used for the purpose of transmitting or receiving gambling information in interstate or foreign commerce in violation of Federal, State or local law, it shall discontinue or refuse, the leasing, furnishing, or maintaining of such facility, after reasonable notice to the subscriber, but no damages, penalty or forfeiture, civil or criminal, shall be found against any common carrier for any act done in compliance with any notice received from a law enforcement agency. Nothing in this section shall be deemed to prejudice the right of any person affected thereby to secure an appropriate determination, as otherwise provided by law, in a Federal court or in a State or local tribunal or agency, that such facility should not be discontinued or removed, or should be restored.

(e) As used in this section, the term “State” means a State of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a commonwealth, territory or possession of the United States.
Pot Odds RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #118
Skallagrim
PPA Board Member/LSN Dir
 
Skallagrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: It's a PPA post only if so stated
Posts: 6,713
Re: Minnesota to Prohibit Access Between Residents and Gambling Sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer View Post
I live in MN and have some questions to clarify the direct impact on us poker players:

1. What is a VPN and has anyone used one to get around a block like this? What is the legality of something like this?

2. Will my account get sized if I try to play?

3. Can I still connect to FTP/Stars without getting frozen access? Is this only for xxxxx.com which means I still can play and access the client to play on?

4. What does this mean for me?
If this is not a level then it is just plain selfish.
Nothing has happened yet, it is what they plan for the future.
Instead of worrying about whether YOU are going to be able to get around this particular attack on your rights, YOU should be doing everything possible to STOP this attack on your rights.

Also, to answer a few questions. The US statute cited is part of the Wire Act. Whether it can be used in this circumstance will be the subject of a lawsuit; as will (limited) free speech issues, Federalism/Commerce Clause issues, and whether poker is legally gambling under Minnesota law. The lawyers are already gearing up, but if I was a Minnesota resident I wouldnt want to simply trust that us lawyers will prevail in Court. GET ACTIVE. The PPA, as TE has posted, as made it as simple as possible for you.

Skallagrim

PS - here is the full text of the statute they are relying on:
"When any common carrier, subject to the jurisdiction of the Federal Communications Commission, is notified in writing by a Federal, State, or local law enforcement agency, acting within its jurisdiction, that any facility furnished by it is being used or will be used for the purpose of transmitting or receiving gambling information in interstate or foreign commerce in violation of Federal, State or local law, it shall discontinue or refuse, the leasing, furnishing, or maintaining of such facility, after reasonable notice to the subscriber, but no damages, penalty or forfeiture, civil or criminal, shall be found against any common carrier for any act done in compliance with any notice received from a law enforcement agency. Nothing in this section shall be deemed to prejudice the right of any person affected thereby to secure an appropriate determination, as otherwise provided by law, in a Federal court or in a State or local tribunal or agency, that such facility should not be discontinued or removed, or should be restored. "
Skallagrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:35 PM   #119
McShove
veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 2,298
Re: Minnesota to Prohibit Access Between Residents and Gambling Sites.

glad i bought a house in st paul last year...
McShove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:37 PM   #120
Barrasso
grinder
 
Barrasso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fire Chilly Nation
Posts: 697
Re: Minnesota to Prohibit Access Between Residents and Gambling Sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey711 View Post
e-mailed the Gov... I think those of us in the metro should engage in some type of civil disobedience to protest this.
White Bear Lake for the governor's fishing opener should do the trick.
Barrasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:38 PM   #121
pdoran10
Pooh-Bah
 
pdoran10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,333
Re: Minnesota to Prohibit Access Between Residents and Gambling Sites.

hey everyone spread the word, make sure to cross post this in forums you usually post in and if u live here, make sure to tell ur friends about this bs and what can be done to help.
pdoran10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:41 PM   #122
cheer
veteran
 
cheer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: long
Posts: 2,375
Re: Minnesota to Prohibit Access Between Residents and Gambling Sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skallagrim View Post
If this is not a level then it is just plain selfish.
Nothing has happened yet, it is what they plan for the future.
Instead of worrying about whether YOU are going to be able to get around this particular attack on your rights, YOU should be doing everything possible to STOP this attack on your rights.

Also, to answer a few questions. The US statute cited is part of the Wire Act. Whether it can be used in this circumstance will be the subject of a lawsuit; as will (limited) free speech issues, Federalism/Commerce Clause issues, and whether poker is legally gambling under Minnesota law. The lawyers are already gearing up, but if I was a Minnesota resident I wouldnt want to simply trust that us lawyers will prevail in Court. GET ACTIVE. The PPA, as TE has posted, as made it as simple as possible for you.

Skallagrim

PS - here is the full text of the statute they are relying on:
"When any common carrier, subject to the jurisdiction of the Federal Communications Commission, is notified in writing by a Federal, State, or local law enforcement agency, acting within its jurisdiction, that any facility furnished by it is being used or will be used for the purpose of transmitting or receiving gambling information in interstate or foreign commerce in violation of Federal, State or local law, it shall discontinue or refuse, the leasing, furnishing, or maintaining of such facility, after reasonable notice to the subscriber, but no damages, penalty or forfeiture, civil or criminal, shall be found against any common carrier for any act done in compliance with any notice received from a law enforcement agency. Nothing in this section shall be deemed to prejudice the right of any person affected thereby to secure an appropriate determination, as otherwise provided by law, in a Federal court or in a State or local tribunal or agency, that such facility should not be discontinued or removed, or should be restored. "
It was an attempt at a FAQ for poker players in MN. "...impact on us poker players "

This story just came to my attention today and I, as well as many other people, have questions. How dare you stand on your high chair telling me that I am being selfish to ask questions that directly impact my life and family.
cheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:44 PM   #123
Dogboy714
adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chillin' in MN
Posts: 817
Re: Minnesota to Prohibit Access Between Residents and Gambling Sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrasso View Post
White Bear Lake for the governor's fishing opener should do the trick.
Gas up the jetski!!!
Dogboy714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #124
pdoran10
Pooh-Bah
 
pdoran10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,333
Re: Minnesota to Prohibit Access Between Residents and Gambling Sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer View Post
It was an attempt at a FAQ for poker players in MN. "...impact on us poker players "

This story just came to my attention today and I, as well as many other people, have questions. How dare you stand on your high chair telling me that I am being selfish to ask questions that directly impact my life and family.
Same team Farva!
pdoran10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:50 PM   #125
LeapFrog
Pooh-Bah
 
LeapFrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rosetta Stoned
Posts: 5,538
Re: Minnesota to Prohibit Access Between Residents and Gambling Sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer View Post
This story just came to my attention today and I, as well as many other people, have questions. How dare you stand on your high chair telling me that I am being selfish to ask questions that directly impact my life and family.
I have to agree with cheer here. This approach is not going to win any converts to the PPA or motivate players to get involved. In fact you are going to turn a lot of people off.
LeapFrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive