Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

News, Views, and Gossip For poker news, views and gossip.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2021, 12:45 PM   #12876
SplawnDarts
veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,205
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outoftime44444 View Post
I don't get it, everyone keeps saying the same thing though lol.

In civil court in california, you have to convince 9 out of 12 lay people that there is a 51% chance that Postle cheated.

Its not that hard.
Yes, with fabulous evidence like
  1. Postle took all our money gambling
  2. Postle looked at his phone
  3. Postle wore a hat
I can't imagine why this hasn't gone anywhere

Without someone willing to testify to their involvement, or some sort of evidence of how he cheated, nothing will happen.
SplawnDarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 01:05 PM   #12877
NewAcctIsBest
banned
 
NewAcctIsBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Guava Island
Posts: 1,039
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

You can hire pros as expert witnesses. They testify. Postle loses. Done and done. If someone wanted to continue the suit they could move to Nevada and sue in federal court , or is that not a thing
NewAcctIsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 01:36 PM   #12878
AngusThermopyle
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
AngusThermopyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 乱
Posts: 14,926
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAcctIsBest View Post



or is that not a thing

Been tried.
Judge tossed it out saying it belongs in California.
AngusThermopyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 01:39 PM   #12879
NewAcctIsBest
banned
 
NewAcctIsBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Guava Island
Posts: 1,039
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

I thought they tried to move the venue to Nevada state court, not federal court
NewAcctIsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 01:53 PM   #12880
TPeck
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 272
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

It'd be a pretty unfair edge to be able to just hop to whatever state has laws in favor of getting the verdict you want despite the alleged crime never happening in that state.
TPeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:08 PM   #12881
NewAcctIsBest
banned
 
NewAcctIsBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Guava Island
Posts: 1,039
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

This is civil court not criminal.
NewAcctIsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:24 PM   #12882
checkraisdraw
old hand
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,355
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeck View Post
Well it was established a few hundred pages ago in this thread a court case isn't possible in California against Postle so now it's just hypothetical. I guess i've been brainwashed by TV/movies that in the american court system there needs to be some kind of real evidence to prove guilt outside a math sim of probability from a professor.
Because you’re thinking of criminal trials. The difference between civil and criminal is “beyond reasonable doubt” vs “beyond a preponderance of evidence.” Furthermore the idea that a math sim is all the evidence there is seems laughable when you look at the crazy hand histories. That alone may be enough to convince a jury.
checkraisdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 04:51 PM   #12883
AngusThermopyle
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
AngusThermopyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 乱
Posts: 14,926
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkraisdraw View Post


That alone may be enough to convince a jury.

Well, we will never know.
AngusThermopyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:44 AM   #12884
inmyrav
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,649
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Did she say they overcharged Postle by mistake, or is she saying it was on purpose? Seems like an odd thing to miss.
inmyrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:49 AM   #12885
madlex
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 12,632
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outoftime44444 View Post
I don't get it, everyone keeps saying the same thing though lol.

In civil court in california, you have to convince 9 out of 12 lay people that there is a 51% chance that Postle cheated.

Its not that hard.
So if you say "well, I think it's more likely than not but maybe only 50.8% chance not 51%" that's a "no"? What sense does it make to use a number like 51% instead of >50%?
madlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 11:00 AM   #12886
inmyrav
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outoftime44444 View Post
It seems to me that over 90% of poker community believes that 99% chance Postle cheated. Let me know if you think otherwise.

Based on that, I think case could be made that you can convince 75% of lay people that greater 51% chance Postle cheated.
...

People convicted for murder on less.
Show us one case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former DJ View Post
Cheating has always been the scourge of poker - it's the primary reason why much of society takes a dim view of our beloved game.
The reason is that they believe the winner is taking advantage of the loser.

Not the loser's knowledge; the winner is taking advantage of the loser's weakness (in other words, his humanity).

More people think the gambling is just wrong in principle even if played 'honestly'.

.
f it

The problem in America is that we are so quick to use the court system to solve our problems, and cages to store our bad people.

The solution here was for the casino to publicly do an investigation and reveal the outcome. They have all the wireless data. Surely they had time to save records that would have easily demonstrated whether the communication that is thought to have occured, did.

Of course, Postle could have go a long way towards establishing his innocence in the same manner. Postle needs some better friends than Mike the Mouth.

Last edited by madlex; 05-21-2021 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Merged 4 posts. We have a multiquote feature.
inmyrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 12:01 PM   #12887
Outoftime44444
adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 750
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmyrav View Post
Show us one case.
Scott Peterson, convicted entirely on circumstantial evidence.
Outoftime44444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:14 PM   #12888
persianpunisher
veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,421
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmyrav View Post
Show us one case.

The reason is that they believe the winner is taking advantage of the loser.

Not the loser's knowledge; the winner is taking advantage of the loser's weakness (in other words, his humanity).

More people think the gambling is just wrong in principle even if played 'honestly'.

.
f it

The problem in America is that we are so quick to use the court system to solve our problems, and cages to store our bad people.

The solution here was for the casino to publicly do an investigation and reveal the outcome. They have all the wireless data. Surely they had time to save records that would have easily demonstrated whether the communication that is thought to have occured, did.

Of course, Postle could have go a long way towards establishing his innocence in the same manner. Postle needs some better friends than Mike the Mouth.
What are you talking about????

They literally asked the casino to investigate and they said they did. What more did you want? Citizens arrest the Poker manager? It's like you don't even know a thing about what happened.
persianpunisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:16 PM   #12889
Loctus
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Loctus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,331
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Being quite the true-crime nerd I'd agree with the statement that the US convicts killers on much less evidence than the Postle case - but then again, that is mostly due to MY understanding of the Postle case and ME thinking it's 100% slamdunk shut clear as day nail in coffin case.

So that discussion really just reverts back to Postle (and what one thinks of that case) entirely and has nothing to do with murder conviction requirements at all.
Loctus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:16 PM   #12890
inmyrav
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,649
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outoftime44444 View Post
Scott Peterson, convicted entirely on circumstantial evidence.
There was direct evidence, including dna of the victim on his boat. The case was a circumstantial case, but there was direct evidence.

In Postle's case, the judge who dismissed the case did say that the evidence alleged would likely NOT meet the federal rules of evidence guidelines.

I tried cracking fed rules and, yeah, I'm so not caring about Postle. I hope the guy is innocent but frankly I seem more invested in giving him a fair shake than he is in himself.
inmyrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:21 PM   #12891
inmyrav
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,649
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by persianpunisher View Post
What are you talking about????

They literally asked the casino to investigate and they said they did. What more did you want? Citizens arrest the Poker manager? It's like you don't even know a thing about what happened.
What I want is evidence of these phones talking to each other through the wifi. Or at the very least, you can access the carrier from that table with all those electronics. Are you really telling me they can't find those logs? Has anyone seen the logs? What did the lawyers see? Why won't they tell us what they saw? The lawyers repping the people accusing Postle haven't been forthcoming with any incriminating evidence and I suspect they would not tell us if they saw evidence that did not show what they expected it to show.

Sorry about that multi thing. I get carried away, or should be.
inmyrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:29 PM   #12892
persianpunisher
veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,421
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Okay, now I definitely don't understand what you're ranting about. You think there was discovery and they had full access to all of Postle's phone data?
persianpunisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:35 PM   #12893
inmyrav
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,649
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by persianpunisher View Post
Okay, now I definitely don't understand what you're ranting about. You think there was discovery and they had full access to all of Postle's phone data?
No I think they had full access to the wifi records. You think Postle had service? Okay show it. Otherwise he had to use wifi. Is the wifi clean or dirty? We should be able to know if there is any evidence of postle's phone connecting and dl'ing jpgs ... would not the logs of the wifi at the poker room show this? Espcially since any conspirator would likely be on wifi. I just want to know if they looked at the logs and if not, why not? Why do we not know this if the point is to know the truth?

But like I said, Postle ain't doing anything either. So f it.
inmyrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 09:00 PM   #12894
Dream Crusher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dream Crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Dallas
Posts: 15,670
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

What do you mean "Postle ain't doing anything either?" He's not guilty so he ain't got to do ****. He's just a 1/3 poker pro that has a family to support, so he can't afford a long drawn out civil suit just to try to clear his name.
Dream Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:24 PM   #12895
Outoftime44444
adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 750
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmyrav View Post

In Postle's case, the judge who dismissed the case did say that the evidence alleged would likely NOT meet the federal rules of evidence guidelines.
That is not true. The Judge said that EVEN if the allegations are true, California law prohibits judicial intervention in gambling disputes. Therefore, there is no case.

Plaintiff's claims were "not cognizable under California law because California public policy bars judicial intervention in gambling disputesCalifornia public policy bars judicial intervention in gambling disputes." - Judge

They failed to state a valid claim that Postle broke the law.

And also the Plaintiffs ultimately dismissed the case, not the judge. They were permitted to file an amended complaint on some claims to try to state a valid claim.
Outoftime44444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:30 PM   #12896
Outoftime44444
adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 750
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmyrav View Post
No I think they had full access to the wifi records. You think Postle had service? Okay show it. Otherwise he had to use wifi. Is the wifi clean or dirty? We should be able to know if there is any evidence of postle's phone connecting and dl'ing jpgs ... would not the logs of the wifi at the poker room show this? Espcially since any conspirator would likely be on wifi. I just want to know if they looked at the logs and if not, why not? Why do we not know this if the point is to know the truth?

But like I said, Postle ain't doing anything either. So f it.
Why do you say they had postle's phone records? There is no evidence of that. You are literally making up more evidence to defend Postle than actually exists.

Everyone told you above why the case did not continue.

The judge said lawsuit could not continue as a gambling dispute under California law, so either amend complaint to state a valid claim or case will be over.

Instead, Plaintiffs SETTLED with Stones and Plaintiffs dismissed the case.

The case was dismissed BEFORE discovery phase. BEFORE you can subpoena phone records.

There is a right to privacy in California. You can't just demand strangers phone records. What do you think Plaintiffs did, call up Postle's AT&T and ask to see his text messages?

Stone offered some sort of evience Stones was not involved, Stones involvement would be hard to prove and since Stones was the deep pockets (and Stones insurance would not usually be liable for fraudulent acts like this), Stones paid nuisance value to get out and Plaintiffs accepted the offer.
Outoftime44444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:33 PM   #12897
Outoftime44444
adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 750
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Maybe, just maybe, if Mike Postle had such great evidence that he was not cheating he could have used it to clear his name and/or to defend himself in his defamation case ?!
Outoftime44444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:43 PM   #12898
Outoftime44444
adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 750
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlex View Post
So if you say "well, I think it's more likely than not but maybe only 50.8% chance not 51%" that's a "no"? What sense does it make to use a number like 51% instead of >50%?
I guess when you are talking to a jury its easier to say 51 49 rather than 50.00001 , but the standard is greater than 50%.

Obviously these numbers can mean different things to different people
Outoftime44444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 06:34 AM   #12899
SwoopAE
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SwoopAE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 22,131
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Dream Crusher you're just trolling in this thread right?

Also, if Postle was innocent he would have gone full transparency, offered forensic examination of his phone to actual third parties/insisted stones let actual third party experts examine the electronic stream/wifi data etc and gone out of his way to prove he didn't cheat

Also if he was actually 'that talented' surely he would be crushing live poker with no phone or stream somewhere right now if he's alleging he's broke etc.

Anyone who doesn't think there's over a 99.9% chance Postle cheated is simply bad at math and logic and it's scary that people like that could serve on a jury if there are people who post on a poker forum who don't at the very least think it's 51% that he cheated (at the very minimum it's way, way over 99.9%)
SwoopAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 06:56 AM   #12900
rickroll
oddly catty
 
rickroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: serene, serene, puissant, puissant
Posts: 11,012
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

dc's fave pastime is trolling
rickroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive