Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

News, Views, and Gossip For poker news, views and gossip.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2020, 05:04 PM   #12526
Gzesh
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UTG
Posts: 5,704
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie2 View Post
Just got back from a trip and this thread still delivers. Missed you NVG.
?

Slacker .... what, there was no internet where you went on your trip ?
Gzesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:26 PM   #12527
dsswax
stranger
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 3
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by namisgr11 View Post
Ah, bit if the 7 pm televised lottery drawing was a 30 minute delay of a live drawing of the winning numbers, and the person who won the lottery 50 times in a row was shown to be using technology with the potential for intercepting that live drawing and placed bets between the time the drawing took place and was shown on television, there'd be quite a bit more circumstantial evidence.

Like there is with Postle's cheating.
Was there evidence that MP was shown to be using technology with the potential for intercepting the live feed? It seems like this all blew up before they found hard evidence, so now it's unlikely that any evidence will be found.
dsswax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:38 PM   #12528
dsswax
stranger
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 3
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

One solution for the future is to change the technology... use RFID to scan the cards *after* the hand is over (or during a fold), and then the software merges the card info into the video stream when the game concludes. It's a little more complicated, but it's entirely doable and would prevent a situation like what's suspected here.
dsswax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:05 PM   #12529
statmanhal
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,811
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Man wins lottery 50 consecutive times. I’m a juror.

Prosecutor: Good morning. The chance someone wins this lottery 50 consecutive times by chance is 1 in a trillion. You have to convict. Thank you,

Defendant’s Lawyer: Good morning. The prosecutor just admitted that it’s possible to win this lottery 50 times in a row. You have to acquit. Thank you.

My vote: CONVICT

Where is the evidence? How about 50 consecutive wins!
statmanhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 02:29 AM   #12530
Wilbury Twist
Pooh-Bah
 
Wilbury Twist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: 4977 miles from Kells
Posts: 5,335
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by statmanhal View Post
Man wins lottery 50 consecutive times. I’m a juror.

Prosecutor: Good morning. The chance someone wins this lottery 50 consecutive times by chance is 1 in a trillion. You have to convict. Thank you,

Defendant’s Lawyer: Good morning. The prosecutor just admitted that it’s possible to win this lottery 50 times in a row. You have to acquit. Thank you.

My vote: CONVICT

Where is the evidence? How about 50 consecutive wins!
And me as the juror sitting next to you: what kind of lottery is this in which 50 straight wins is only a 1-in-trillion shot? The probability of winning a coin flip 50 straight times by chance is upwards of one in 1.1 quadrillion.



But yeah, totally agree... for everyone saying versions of "there is no evidence," the results ARE evidence. They might not show HOW someone did it, but they sure as hell show THAT they did it.

Of course, I don't know enough about the actual charges that would levied against such a cheater to know if such evidence could lead to a conviction. You legal eagles, when it comes to criminal trial law: to what extent does the prosecution have to show HOW the defendant did it?
Wilbury Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 11:27 AM   #12531
zica
adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 944
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Like watching someone pull ten large bunnies out of one small hat; prove it's not magic.
zica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 12:36 PM   #12532
PLIKITYPLAK
veteran
 
PLIKITYPLAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,512
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbury Twist View Post
And me as the juror sitting next to you: what kind of lottery is this in which 50 straight wins is only a 1-in-trillion shot? The probability of winning a coin flip 50 straight times by chance is upwards of one in 1.1 quadrillion.



But yeah, totally agree... for everyone saying versions of "there is no evidence," the results ARE evidence. They might not show HOW someone did it, but they sure as hell show THAT they did it.
Yeah, but that’s when Juror number 3 goes “but how much did he lose
PLIKITYPLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 11:27 PM   #12533
NoSoup4U
old hand
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,645
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

I’m reading that Postle’s attorney has withdrawn from the case, saying that Postle hasn’t been communicating with them.
NoSoup4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 05:27 AM   #12534
Chubs
enthusiast
 
Chubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 79
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSoup4U View Post
I’m reading that Postle’s attorney has withdrawn from the case, saying that Postle hasn’t been communicating with them.

- Mike Postle's attorney has filed a motion to be dismissed as counsel, claiming Postle violated their agreement, and that he also hasn't been in contact with them since November 3. The hearing for this change will be on January 14.

- We filed an anti-SLAPP motion to get the case dismissed, which would automatically award us attorney's fees (likely 5 figures) if granted. This will be heard on February 10.

- It is possible Postle will not have an attorney for this Feb 10 anti-SLAPP hearing, which will be great for us, obviously.

- We will be aggressively collecting any judgment we receive regarding the attorney's fees, even if it takes years.

- Even if Postle drops the case now, he will still have to face this anti-SLAPP, since it has been filed already.

Last edited by Chubs; 12-10-2020 at 05:27 AM. Reason: from PFA
Chubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:13 AM   #12535
NewAcctIsBest
banned
 
NewAcctIsBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Guava Island
Posts: 1,039
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

“Hey mike it’s us, the lawyers. We are gonna need our next installment. Please send $5k to this account”


Three weeks later ...


“It appears our client is no longer communicating with us. We quit due to non payment”


Lol
NewAcctIsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:46 AM   #12536
inmyrav
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,649
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubs View Post
- Mike Postle's attorney has filed a motion to be dismissed as counsel, claiming Postle violated their agreement, and that he also hasn't been in contact with them since November 3. The hearing for this change will be on January 14.

- We filed an anti-SLAPP motion to get the case dismissed, which would automatically award us attorney's fees (likely 5 figures) if granted. This will be heard on February 10.

- It is possible Postle will not have an attorney for this Feb 10 anti-SLAPP hearing, which will be great for us, obviously.

- We will be aggressively collecting any judgment we receive regarding the attorney's fees, even if it takes years.

- Even if Postle drops the case now, he will still have to face this anti-SLAPP, since it has been filed already.
Slapp? On what grounds? You ready to prove he cheated? He had a fairly clear per se case since he was publically called a criminal, that's per se defamation in California. Good luck. I'm not a lawyer, so I probably have the law wrong, don't take this as legal advice its me talking out my arse.
inmyrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:55 AM   #12537
inmyrav
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,649
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by namisgr11 View Post
Ah, bit if the 7 pm televised lottery drawing was a 30 minute delay of a live drawing of the winning numbers, and the person who won the lottery 50 times in a row was shown to be using technology with the potential for intercepting that live drawing and placed bets between the time the drawing took place and was shown on television, there'd be quite a bit more circumstantial evidence.

Like there is with Postle's cheating.
In a free society it's incumbent on the state to prove the case with something more than theories and a few common actions that people do at poker tables each day. Of course there is enough for an indictment, but for a conviction you'll have too many innocent people in prison. Lets try to put innocent people in prison only if they murdered someone.
inmyrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:56 AM   #12538
Jay Why
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lundun
Posts: 946
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmyrav View Post
Lets try to put innocent people in prison only if they murdered someone.
But if they murdered someone they are guilty of murder, so should be in prison.
Jay Why is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:52 AM   #12539
oliveras19
newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 15
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
EASTERN DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA
VERONICA BRILL, et al., Plaintiffs, v. MICHAEL L. POSTLE, et al., Defendants.
No. 2:19-cv-02027-WBS-AC

On October 21, 2020, the court denied the Motion to Withdraw by plaintiffs’ counsel and gave the remaining plaintiffs thirty days to file an amended complaint consistent with this court’s Order of June 3, 2020. (Docket No. 63.) On November 18, 2020, Veronica Brill dismissed her claims against defendants without prejudice. (Docket No. 81.) The remaining plaintiffs have not filed an amended complaint. Because over thirty days have passed since the court’s order on October 21, 2020, (Docket No. 80), and plaintiffs have not filed an amended complaint, the remaining plaintiffs’ claims are hereby DISMISSED WITH PREJUDICE.
oliveras19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 01:28 PM   #12540
Outoftime44444
adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 751
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmyrav View Post
In a free society it's incumbent on the state to prove the case with something more than theories and a few common actions that people do at poker tables each day. Of course there is enough for an indictment, but for a conviction you'll have too many innocent people in prison. Lets try to put innocent people in prison only if they murdered someone.
This is not the state, its Mike Postle v. a bunch of people in civil court and vice versa. The standard is “More probable than not” or “preponderance of the evidence,” basically tipping a scale 1 way or the other.
Outoftime44444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 01:29 PM   #12541
Outoftime44444
adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 751
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubs View Post
- Mike Postle's attorney has filed a motion to be dismissed as counsel, claiming Postle violated their agreement, and that he also hasn't been in contact with them since November 3. The hearing for this change will be on January 14.

- We filed an anti-SLAPP motion to get the case dismissed, which would automatically award us attorney's fees (likely 5 figures) if granted. This will be heard on February 10.

- It is possible Postle will not have an attorney for this Feb 10 anti-SLAPP hearing, which will be great for us, obviously.

- We will be aggressively collecting any judgment we receive regarding the attorney's fees, even if it takes years.

- Even if Postle drops the case now, he will still have to face this anti-SLAPP, since it has been filed already.
Who is "We" ?

And since you filed the anti-SLAPP, can you post your key pertinent PDFs here since its public record anyway?
Outoftime44444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:34 PM   #12542
Superfluous Man
Pooh-Bah
 
Superfluous Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Same rake, better progress
Posts: 5,292
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmyrav View Post
Slapp? On what grounds? You ready to prove he cheated? He had a fairly clear per se case since he was publically called a criminal, that's per se defamation in California. Good luck. I'm not a lawyer, so I probably have the law wrong, don't take this as legal advice its me talking out my arse.
Don't take this as legal advice either, but I am a lawyer. I do anti-SLAPP litigation. Defendants do not need to prove Postle cheated to prevail on an anti-SLAPP motion to strike. Not even close.

As I said before ITT, I would consider anything less than dismissal under California's anti-SLAPP law a shocking result for Defendants who go that route.
Superfluous Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:47 PM   #12543
Gzesh
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UTG
Posts: 5,704
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliveras19 View Post
UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
EASTERN DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA
VERONICA BRILL, et al., Plaintiffs, v. MICHAEL L. POSTLE, et al., Defendants.
No. 2:19-cv-02027-WBS-AC

On October 21, 2020, the court denied the Motion to Withdraw by plaintiffs’ counsel and gave the remaining plaintiffs thirty days to file an amended complaint consistent with this court’s Order of June 3, 2020. (Docket No. 63.) On November 18, 2020, Veronica Brill dismissed her claims against defendants without prejudice. (Docket No. 81.) The remaining plaintiffs have not filed an amended complaint. Because over thirty days have passed since the court’s order on October 21, 2020, (Docket No. 80), and plaintiffs have not filed an amended complaint, the remaining plaintiffs’ claims are hereby DISMISSED WITH PREJUDICE.
Wait ... did Postle just win the case filed against him ?

This dismissal covers claims covers against Postle, see below link.

lhttps://ecf.caed.uscourts.gov/doc1/033112086057

Last edited by Gzesh; 12-10-2020 at 04:05 PM.
Gzesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 04:26 PM   #12544
Gzesh
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UTG
Posts: 5,704
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzesh View Post
Wait ... did Postle just win the case filed against him ?

This dismissal covers claims covers against Postle, see below link.

lhttps://ecf.caed.uscourts.gov/doc1/033112086057
https://ecf.caed.uscourts.gov/doc1/033112086057

sloppy cut and pasting ... sorry

The poster above, Chubbs, who talked about "we" and Anti-Slapp stuff might want to link to whatever he is talking about .... start with , who is the "we" he references ?

I do not know anything about Anti-Slapp laws, but since Postle got the federal case against him dismissed, perhaps some legal counsel can post how that dismissal with prejudice might affect the second case, where Postle is the plaintiff ?

Last edited by Gzesh; 12-10-2020 at 04:32 PM.
Gzesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 04:35 PM   #12545
PeteBlow
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Guildford, UK
Posts: 12,868
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Discussion with one of the defence lawyers in this case.
Normally frowned upon to link to this site, but this is just an hour long audio file, not the actual site...

https://pokerfraudalert.com/radio/ra...uit-update.mp3
PeteBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 05:04 PM   #12546
Gzesh
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UTG
Posts: 5,704
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBlow View Post
Discussion with one of the defence lawyers in this case.
Normally frowned upon to link to this site, but this is just an hour long audio file, not the actual site...

https://pokerfraudalert.com/radio/ra...uit-update.mp3
lol, personally not a fan of that show, but this was interesting about Postle's own litigation in the State court.
Gzesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 02:12 AM   #12547
TimM
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
TimM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 9,540
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Postle's lawsuit looks like it's going to backfire in a big way. I can't believe the pro-Postle crowd still finds ways to chirp in this thread.
TimM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 02:28 AM   #12548
deuceblocker
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 2,266
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

As far as I understand, the cases against Postle, Stones etc. were dismissed because it was impossible to proceed based on the judge's ruling and some plaintiffs would rather they be dismissed than take the tiny settlement with the language in it.

Not sure if Postle's suit will backfire, as no one has been served and it has been put on hold due to the virus. Not sure if the intention was to ever serve anyone or really proceed with the case.

I am not an expert, but responding to some things that seem off base.
deuceblocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:28 PM   #12549
TimM
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
TimM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 9,540
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outoftime44444 View Post
Who is "We" ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzesh View Post
The poster above, Chubbs, who talked about "we" and Anti-Slapp stuff might want to link to whatever he is talking about .... start with , who is the "we" he references ?
Looks from his edit that he just cut and pasted a post from the same site that the linked MP3 came from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuceblocker View Post
Not sure if Postle's suit will backfire, as no one has been served and it has been put on hold due to the virus. Not sure if the intention was to ever serve anyone or really proceed with the case.
These two issues are discussed in that linked MP3. That defendant was proactive, and filed the anti-SLAPP without waiting to be served. The hearing for it will be held via the court's remote video application in February. The only delay will be if Postle gets a new attorney and they request more time.
TimM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 01:31 PM   #12550
PLIKITYPLAK
veteran
 
PLIKITYPLAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,512
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Looks like the lawyer was seeing those dreams of a big payday from ESPN slowly vanish.
PLIKITYPLAK is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive