Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

News, Views, and Gossip For poker news, views and gossip.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2019, 09:24 AM   #9501
ArtyMcFly
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ArtyMcFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Enchantment Under the Sea
Posts: 13,251
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by piranha View Post
It could be as simple as Justin texting Mike, at least initially, because he had real time access to hole cards.
Was Justin (JFK) still doing real-time texting of the hole cards, while he was on a beach in the Bahamas? (There are at least two confirmed Godmode sessions from when JFK was out of the country).
I think it's much more likely that the holecard data was being beamed across the room, either via text, or directly from the RFID/ActionTracker/pokerGfx software in the 'peek room'. By Taylor Smith.
For the bulk of the sessions under investigation, there were only two people in the building (not the commentators, not the floor manager) that knew the holecards. Taylor Smith and Mike Postle were those two people.
ArtyMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:46 PM   #9502
AmazingErvin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
AmazingErvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: twitch.tv/amazingervin
Posts: 6,128
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyMcFly View Post
Was Justin (JFK) still doing real-time texting of the hole cards, while he was on a beach in the Bahamas? (There are at least two confirmed Godmode sessions from when JFK was out of the country).
I think it's much more likely that the holecard data was being beamed across the room, either via text, or directly from the RFID/ActionTracker/pokerGfx software in the 'peek room'. By Taylor Smith.
For the bulk of the sessions under investigation, there were only two people in the building (not the commentators, not the floor manager) that knew the holecards. Taylor Smith and Mike Postle were those two people.
. If you're just tuning in most prevailing theories have Taylor as the prime suspect like Arty said and Justin just guilty of gross incompetence.

Justin's 'investigation' turning up nothing looks bad either way but if he's actually innocent it might not be a bad idea for him to turn over all evidence he has and throw the guilty parties under the bus.

Reason everyone is so hard on Taylor is that a lot of circumstantial evidence points at him(always being in building, fixing something at table and GODMODE is back on, etc) and there are graphics changes that still have no good explanations. Mike couldn't have done that by himself and that 86o to 98ss hand is mindboggling. I've been waiting for one thoughtful logically consistent way to explain this and have yet to see one(outside of the graphics operator changing it - which is pretty implicative and Taylor has been confirmed to be the operator at that moment).
AmazingErvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:52 PM   #9503
AmazingErvin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
AmazingErvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: twitch.tv/amazingervin
Posts: 6,128
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Cardplayer interview with Veronica, she slams on Justin pretty hard

Last edited by AmazingErvin; 10-30-2019 at 02:57 PM.
AmazingErvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:28 PM   #9504
Eponymous
Photoshop Comic Genius
 
Eponymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: How many letters do we have for thi
Posts: 4,572
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Interesting that JFK pushed the IT director out of the Stones Live operation. I also have to laugh every time I hear that he defended Mike by saying he used the martingale strategy.

Kudos to Veronica for making the tough decision to go public with her suspicions.
Eponymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:37 PM   #9505
SuitedJunk
veteran
 
SuitedJunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,682
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimM View Post
Just started reading about this in the last couple of days, and watching videos. Hard to believe this went on so long in hindsight, but this kind of thing happens all the time. The fact that Postle could not explain the reasoning behind his plays, along with the technical difficulties, reminds me of this case from chess:
ummm... they had like 100 total viewers or less of these streams...
SuitedJunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:10 PM   #9506
Natamus
Tripped and Fell
 
Natamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Where the buggalo roam
Posts: 16,373
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Guys guys it’s all OK

He uses the MARTINGDALE strategy in poker.

It’s too high level for any of us to understand.

Justin is either extremely dumb or he thinks everyone else is extremely dumb.
Natamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:22 PM   #9507
jonovan
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 51
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suit View Post
Was there ever god mode while the phones were banned?
According to Veronica on Tuchman's Under the Gun podcast, yes, and that's when he started using the bone-conduction headset hidden under the hat.

Although I haven't looked through the videos to see exactly when phones were banned and when he started using the headset to compare those two.
jonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:17 PM   #9508
soapdodger
adept
 
soapdodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: baath time
Posts: 984
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

first time in a good few days managed to catch up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingErvin View Post
I had this theory about 3000 posts ago that probably got lost amidst all the posts. Nothing has happened since to change my thoughts on this so I still believe this same thing to be the most likely as a few weeks ago.
This hand is problematic, in that it makes no sense. Didn't fully appreciate why when discussing all those posts back. Whilst it makes no sense though, not sure what it tells us about the cheating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyMcFly View Post
We're still working on it, mainly by using sightings on the streams (e.g. visiting the table) and in the chatboxes. Lance is almost certainly entirely innocent. There is, however, a very strong correlation (albeit on so far limited data) between Taylor working in the peek room, and Postle engaging in God mode. Indeed, I'm yet to find a single stream where Godmode is on, and Taylor is definitely NOT at work. (By contrast, there are a few godmode sessions where JFK wasn't even in the country).
seems you are doing God's work (no pun intended). Can I ask though, have you considered the possibility that the insider may not have been any of the ones you have been logging, but another permanent technical member of the stream? To my the best of my knowledge the only footage of the Peep/Producers' room is on the phone vlog of one of the regular players there. Can't remember his name sorry, pretty sure he was interviewed by Joey? Who did that show. Think there were two people in there at the computers. Pretty sure one wasn't Lance, not sure if the other was Taylor.

Keep up the good work!
soapdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:47 PM   #9509
AmazingErvin
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
AmazingErvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: twitch.tv/amazingervin
Posts: 6,128
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapdodger View Post

This hand is problematic, in that it makes no sense. Didn't fully appreciate why when discussing all those posts back. Whilst it makes no sense though, not sure what it tells us about the cheating.

It tells us nothing about the cheating, but we do need to make some sense of the J4/JJ hand(which I think can be done) to confirm that the 86o > 98ss hand makes absolutely no sense and essentially implicates the graphics operator.
AmazingErvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:02 PM   #9510
TimM
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
TimM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 9,538
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitedJunk View Post
ummm... they had like 100 total viewers or less of these streams...
I wasn't necessarily referring to the viewers. How about the other players, the commentators, etc. Now the players don't know what he has all the time, but clearly they know something is up, when they are calling with J high and other plays. None of these guys feel cheated and decide to watch some streams? No one suspects a guy who comes off as being no genius, but is somehow a world class soul reader? Commentators joking about how he can see all the cards not making the leap that maybe he really can see all the cards? I guess in the end that's exactly what happened, I was just surprised it didn't happen sooner.
TimM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:15 AM   #9511
fumbling
stranger
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimM View Post
I wasn't necessarily referring to the viewers. How about the other players, the commentators, etc. Now the players don't know what he has all the time, but clearly they know something is up, when they are calling with J high and other plays. None of these guys feel cheated and decide to watch some streams? No one suspects a guy who comes off as being no genius, but is somehow a world class soul reader? Commentators joking about how he can see all the cards not making the leap that maybe he really can see all the cards? I guess in the end that's exactly what happened, I was just surprised it didn't happen sooner.
What's surprising to me is how obvious Mike's crotch cheating is now, but no one at the table seems to have noticed at the time. Veronica had her suspicions about cheating but didn't know how he cheated and never seemed to notice the crotch looking even though she was at the same table many times. I don't remember whether Polk or Ingram or other podcasts ever asked her if she ever noticed the crotch looking when she was at the same table with Mike.
fumbling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:30 AM   #9512
inmyrav
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,641
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimM View Post
You don't think the guy who laughed in people's faces as he stole their money should be prosecuted?
I'm not sure I take it as you do with him laughing in people's faces, but I'm socially awkward and the idea of prosecuting somebody for being socially awkward is abhorrent to me.

IF he's guilty and low man on the totem pole, then yes, just like the heroin dealer who is an addict, selling as a straw man for the real distributor, he should be offered a deal IF no evidence exists that can break the ring, and get a deal (not avoid prosecution, the very idea of offering a deal is that you are being prosecuted). Especially because he has a daughter that he is raising. Impact on others should be considered, as should the role someone takes in organizing a criminal act.
inmyrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:49 AM   #9513
GreatBigRedOne
grinder
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 618
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingErvin View Post
. If you're just tuning in most prevailing theories have Taylor as the prime suspect like Arty said and Justin just guilty of gross incompetence.

Justin's 'investigation' turning up nothing looks bad either way but if he's actually innocent it might not be a bad idea for him to turn over all evidence he has and throw the guilty parties under the bus.

Reason everyone is so hard on Taylor is that a lot of circumstantial evidence points at him(always being in building, fixing something at table and GODMODE is back on, etc) and there are graphics changes that still have no good explanations. Mike couldn't have done that by himself and that 86o to 98ss hand is mindboggling. I've been waiting for one thoughtful logically consistent way to explain this and have yet to see one(outside of the graphics operator changing it - which is pretty implicative and Taylor has been confirmed to be the operator at that moment).
The 86 to 89 is not mind boggling. Jamie Kersteader's K7 was turned to KJ then back to K7 on a recent PAD. Was your mind boggeled by that one? Do you know anything about RFID technology so that your mind was boggled by the 86 hand? Naw, your a pitchfork wielder who was told his mind was boggled so his mind was boggled like so much of the "evidence" in this thread.
GreatBigRedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:52 AM   #9514
TimM
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
TimM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 9,538
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
What's surprising to me is how obvious Mike's crotch cheating is now, but no one at the table seems to have noticed at the time. Veronica had her suspicions about cheating but didn't know how he cheated and never seemed to notice the crotch looking even though she was at the same table many times. I don't remember whether Polk or Ingram or other podcasts ever asked her if she ever noticed the crotch looking when she was at the same table with Mike.
They must have known he had his phone down there, and didn't think anything of it. He can be seen occasionally bringing it up into view and putting it back.

I recently finished Malcolm Gladwell's new book "Talking to Strangers", and it's pretty relevant to this case. In part of the book he describes cases of spies, the Madoff case, and sexual abusers (Sandusky, Nassar) who operated with impunity for years before being caught. In the latter case he had even abused students with a parent in the room. He attributes this to a theoretical bias humans have towards assuming honesty in others. It certainly seemed to be operating here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth-default_theory

http://timothy-levine.squarespace.co...default-theory
TimM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:02 AM   #9515
TimM
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
TimM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 9,538
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmyrav View Post
I'm not sure I take it as you do with him laughing in people's faces, but I'm socially awkward and the idea of prosecuting somebody for being socially awkward is abhorrent to me.

IF he's guilty and low man on the totem pole, then yes, just like the heroin dealer who is an addict, selling as a straw man for the real distributor, he should be offered a deal IF no evidence exists that can break the ring, and get a deal (not avoid prosecution, the very idea of offering a deal is that you are being prosecuted). Especially because he has a daughter that he is raising. Impact on others should be considered, as should the role someone takes in organizing a criminal act.
His demeanor when he knows the cards and when he doesn't is totally different, along with his play. This coincides with his phone either being hidden or on the table as well. He's not all smiles and laughter from being socially awkward. You can see when someone puts him to what should be a tough decision. In one case he smiles and stalls before calling, in the other case he obviously agonizes over the decision, as most do in that spot.

I also question how he could be low man. It's not like there was a ton of money to be split. Something like 250K over the course of a year? If you're not getting a good chunk of that, with the risk he was taking, it's probably better to just get a job.

Also, I assume someone will subpeona his cell phone records, if that's possible. Might not get the contents of texts, but may show the metadata like who texted him and when. Probably getting texts from the same number every single hand if this is how it was done. Maybe they used burners, who knows. Even then maybe geolocation can still be used to show that two people in that casino texted during each and every hand when crotch looking was a thing.

Last edited by TimM; 10-31-2019 at 01:14 AM.
TimM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:21 AM   #9516
deuceblocker
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 2,255
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

It doesn't make sense for poker room manager to praise a player's play or say allegations of cheating are false. It would be normal to say something like we haven't found any evidence, but we will continue to investigate.

JFK's statements are incriminating and probably will be used by the plaintiff in the suit.
deuceblocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:32 AM   #9517
lawdude
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,305
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimM View Post
They must have known he had his phone down there, and didn't think anything of it. He can be seen occasionally bringing it up into view and putting it back.

I recently finished Malcolm Gladwell's new book "Talking to Strangers", and it's pretty relevant to this case. In part of the book he describes cases of spies, the Madoff case, and sexual abusers (Sandusky, Nassar) who operated with impunity for years before being caught. In the latter case he had even abused students with a parent in the room. He attributes this to a theoretical bias humans have towards assuming honesty in others. It certainly seemed to be operating here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth-default_theory

http://timothy-levine.squarespace.co...default-theory
Combine this with the fact that accusations of cheating are something of a cliche in poker. We've all heard the losing player say that poker is RIGGED, I tell you RIGGED! So there's even more of a tendency to discount evidence of cheating. We're so used to false insinuations of cheating that we don't quickly notice actual evidence of it.
lawdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:34 AM   #9518
inmyrav
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,641
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimM View Post
I also question how he could be low man. It's not like there was a ton of money to be split. Something like 250K over the course of a year? If you're not getting a good chunk of that, with the risk he was taking, it's probably better to just get a job.

.
That's a lot of money. Split 4 ways it's still a lot of money.

Seems like a bit of a risk to me too frankly, but you don't know what's going on in the lives of people that lead them to commit crime. It's rarely just "I want a nicer car". And if you think about it, the people involved probably didn't realize how lucrative it would be. Or that it would blow up.

Given how MP acts, IF he's involved, I think he was recruited, and then took the cheating to a frequency where he was bound to be discovered (unless he's just that good and lucky!) because he's, well, he's who he is. We all heard him on Mouth's podcast. He sounds clueless to me. You really think he thought this up on his own?
inmyrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:15 AM   #9519
rickroll
oddly catty
 
rickroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: serene, serene, puissant, puissant
Posts: 11,012
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBigRedOne View Post
The 86 to 89 is not mind boggling. Jamie Kersteader's K7 was turned to KJ then back to K7 on a recent PAD. Was your mind boggeled by that one? Do you know anything about RFID technology so that your mind was boggled by the 86 hand? Naw, your a pitchfork wielder who was told his mind was boggled so his mind was boggled like so much of the "evidence" in this thread.
Very ignorant post, rfif doesn't work that way, I know there's a lot here but if you search the that you'll get a full discussion about how it's impossible for RFID to give the wrong cards and how it would have had to have been edited by someone in the booth while action was live IE the booth person has no idea either

RFID either scans a card or it doesn't much like grocery shopping you don't ring up Cheerios and it mistakenly rings up apples

If the cards don't scan properly, they'll show the cards from the prior hand

But RFID error or not, the guy in the booth can't possibly know what he is supposed to have so he took a big leap of faith in changing postle's have to the nuts which was very bold given that couldn't have possibly known what he had and it begs the question what his motivation for taking that risk would be
rickroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:21 AM   #9520
Husker
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Husker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Holsten's Diner
Posts: 12,373
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingErvin View Post
Cardplayer interview with Veronica, she slams on Justin pretty hard
This part is pretty telling:

SS: How much control did Justin Kuraitis have over the livestream?

VB: The whole livestream was a one-man show and it was Justin. Justin made every decision. He had sole control of Stones Live Poker. He had an IT director of Stones that he pushed out of the entire operation because the guy was asking questions, and wanted things done properly and wanted to oversee some of the IT portions of it.

Justin was there for almost every livestream. He would stand behind this podium and watch the entire show with his headphones on. And he had this like microphone on his blazer. I assumed he was talking to tech, and he may have been, but he would watch the entire show, and he would make comments during the show. If the cards were quote-unquote not being read properly, or they were wrong, Justin would quickly change them and make a comment like, ‘Oh, Postle’s good, but he’s not that good.” He was very involved in the show.
Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:54 AM   #9521
JustSome1
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 82
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapdodger View Post
seems you are doing God's work (no pun intended). Can I ask though, have you considered the possibility that the insider may not have been any of the ones you have been logging, but another permanent technical member of the stream? To my the best of my knowledge the only footage of the Peep/Producers' room is on the phone vlog of one of the regular players there. Can't remember his name sorry, pretty sure he was interviewed by Joey? Who did that show. Think there were two people in there at the computers. Pretty sure one wasn't Lance, not sure if the other was Taylor.

Keep up the good work!
https://youtu.be/Pe0Aa5rogQA?t=182

I remembered seeing the Peekroom on Jamans streams also, i found it again with Taylor inside.
JustSome1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:07 AM   #9522
angeles
old hand
 
angeles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 1,947
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grjr View Post
I think there's a good chance that it seems like he's running abnormally hot because we're cherry-picking all these hands that he won and not seeing all the others where the draws didn't come in.

He played a lot of hands in those 14 months and the only way to know for sure would be to document every hand. Would be a lot of work just to see if he's lucky or not.
I mean come on man. At least read up/do some research before making a post like this. His entire stream sessions have all been gone through and analyzed.
angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:54 AM   #9523
soapdodger
adept
 
soapdodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: baath time
Posts: 984
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSome1 View Post
https://youtu.be/Pe0Aa5rogQA?t=182

I remembered seeing the Peekroom on Jamans streams also, i found it again with Taylor inside.
ok thanks. I'm sure there is another shot with a couple of people sat at the computers. must be another video. thought it might be the 'Avoid Mike Postle' one, but can't immediately find it in there.
soapdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:58 AM   #9524
wtfdidido
banned
 
wtfdidido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: ZOG's clownworld
Posts: 135
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBigRedOne View Post
The 86 to 89 is not mind boggling. Jamie Kersteader's K7 was turned to KJ then back to K7 on a recent PAD. Was your mind boggeled by that one? Do you know anything about RFID technology so that your mind was boggled by the 86 hand? Naw, your a pitchfork wielder who was told his mind was boggled so his mind was boggled like so much of the "evidence" in this thread.
The irony.
wtfdidido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:50 PM   #9525
grjr
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,575
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeles View Post
I mean come on man. At least read up/do some research before making a post like this. His entire stream sessions have all been gone through and analyzed.
I have read this entire thread and as far as I know no one has broken down every hand he has played to where it could be determined what percentage of draws he hit during this period. I'm saying that would be a lot of work for no real gain.
grjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive