Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

News, Views, and Gossip For poker news, views and gossip.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2019, 10:50 AM   #9126
Xenicide
journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 223
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

I just wanna point out who the real hero is in this whole thing. Veronica, if the other people working at stones had the same mentality as Veronica this whole thing would of ended months ago. Veronica only commentated a few times while Mike was cheating before she came out with her suspicions. These 4 people I have listed Commentated for Mike almost every time Mike was cheating and didn't say boo to anybody. Not only that but they have been hiding from the public since the day these accusations were made.
Xenicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:54 AM   #9127
lawdude
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,305
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK Barrel View Post
You can get awarded less than you ask but you can't get awarded more. It's why every lawsuit highballs the damages.
Not true. If you prove more damages, you can amend your complaint to conform to proof, and it's an abuse of discretion for that to be denied.

People highball the damages in the Complaint usually either to scare the other side or get the big number into the press coverage.
lawdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:11 AM   #9128
chuckamuck
journeyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 344
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenicide View Post
I just wanna point out who the real hero is in this whole thing. Veronica, if the other people working at stones had the same mentality as Veronica this whole thing would of ended months ago. Veronica only commentated a few times while Mike was cheating before she came out with her suspicions. These 4 people I have listed Commentated for Mike almost every time Mike was cheating and didn't say boo to anybody. Not only that but they have been hiding from the public since the day these accusations were made.
QFT

I posted similar a few days ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckamuck View Post
Joey is awesome, 100%. The thing is, he has a platform, and years of public credibility. So when he highlights issues, people listen.

If you want to talk about someone doing this single handedly, the obvious choice is Veronica Brill - a complete boss and hero. She followed her conviction without any platform, against a huge amount of pushback from Stones - which also included personal attacks on her intelligence and poker ability.

The fact that she stayed the course is a total endboss move. Mad props to Veronica!
chuckamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:36 AM   #9129
Xenicide
journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 223
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Well said chuckamuck, well said.
Xenicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:06 PM   #9130
jjjou812
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,551
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
Not true. If you prove more damages, you can amend your complaint to conform to proof, and it's an abuse of discretion for that to be denied.

People highball the damages in the Complaint usually either to scare the other side or get the big number into the press coverage.
The real issue is what is collectible from Postle and, maybe Stones. Postle is probably a turnip at this point, if they are lucky, maybe they can squeeze 50-100k from him.

There are no 30 million dollar employee theft provisions on any insurance policy I know of, especially for a midlevel California cardroom. Without insurance proceeds to pay a judgment, the Plaintiffs are left with a vicarious liability claim if employee conspirators can be proven with a possible intentional criminal act exclusion or a negligence claim against Stones.

Realistically, this case will settle for $250k or less. It has "cost of defense" settlement written all over it.
jjjou812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:11 PM   #9131
locopollo
centurion
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 109
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenicide View Post
I just wanna point out who the real hero is in this whole thing. Veronica, if the other people working at stones had the same mentality as Veronica this whole thing would of ended months ago. Veronica only commentated a few times while Mike was cheating before she came out with her suspicions. These 4 people I have listed Commentated for Mike almost every time Mike was cheating and didn't say boo to anybody. Not only that but they have been hiding from the public since the day these accusations were made.
Sadly the way she made the things public without any evidence, instead of setting the Stones cheaters up, gather evidence and then make the thing public is the reason he is going to walk away free with his buddies...
locopollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:15 PM   #9132
runout_mick
Pooh-Bah
 
runout_mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,163
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Everyone that has ever played live poker for money is in Veronica Brill's debt. In the presence of poker players there's no reason that she should have to pay for another drink, for the rest of her life.
runout_mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:19 PM   #9133
Xenicide
journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 223
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by runout_mick View Post
Everyone that has ever played live poker for money is in Veronica Brill's debt. In the presence of poker players there's no reason that she should have to pay for another drink, for the rest of her life.
I would gladly follow this statement for the rest of my days, Cheers to Veronica Brill.
Xenicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:29 PM   #9134
lawdude
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,305
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjou812 View Post
The real issue is what is collectible from Postle and, maybe Stones. Postle is probably a turnip at this point, if they are lucky, maybe they can squeeze 50-100k from him.

There are no 30 million dollar employee theft provisions on any insurance policy I know of, especially for a midlevel California cardroom. Without insurance proceeds to pay a judgment, the Plaintiffs are left with a vicarious liability claim if employee conspirators can be proven with a possible intentional criminal act exclusion or a negligence claim against Stones.

Realistically, this case will settle for $250k or less. It has "cost of defense" settlement written all over it.
I am not going to predict a settlement figure, because a lot will depend on what comes out regarding Stones' culpability.

But you are correct that this isn't a $30 million case.
lawdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:32 PM   #9135
lawdude
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,305
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by locopollo View Post
Sadly the way she made the things public without any evidence, instead of setting the Stones cheaters up, gather evidence and then make the thing public is the reason he is going to walk away free with his buddies...
This isn't just wrong, it's crazy wrong.

First of all, she tried to take it up the chain. She only went public when it continued to go on after she had alerted Stones management.

Second of all, if Sacramento law enforcement is anything like Southern California law enforcement, they don't care about poker cheating. They MIGHT care now, because it is a big public scandal. But if I caught someone cheating at the Commerce casino and called the LA Sheriff's Department or the LA County District Attorney, I am pretty sure they wouldn't care one bit or do anything.

Going to Joey Ingram, with his dogged approach to investigation, was the only chance Veronica had of doing anything about this.
lawdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:12 PM   #9136
Gzesh
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UTG
Posts: 5,702
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
I am not going to predict a settlement figure, because a lot will depend on what comes out regarding Stones' culpability.

But you are correct that this isn't a $30 million case.
I think finding Stones culpable falls under the facts they hold a license to provide poker services and a duty not to do so negligently..... and negligence could likely be found since the shceme involved their use of the technology for their business ....

No idea what the settlement figure may be, but it is clear whose stones are most subject to a profitable squeeze in this matter.
Gzesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:12 PM   #9137
Xenicide
journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 223
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
This isn't just wrong, it's crazy wrong.

First of all, she tried to take it up the chain. She only went public when it continued to go on after she had alerted Stones management.

Second of all, if Sacramento law enforcement is anything like Southern California law enforcement, they don't care about poker cheating. They MIGHT care now, because it is a big public scandal. But if I caught someone cheating at the Commerce casino and called the LA Sheriff's Department or the LA County District Attorney, I am pretty sure they wouldn't care one bit or do anything.

Going to Joey Ingram, with his dogged approach to investigation, was the only chance Veronica had of doing anything about this.
Exactly, Veronica played it perfectly imo.
Xenicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:16 PM   #9138
Natamus
Tripped and Fell
 
Natamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Where the buggalo roam
Posts: 16,373
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by locopollo View Post
Sadly the way she made the things public without any evidence, instead of setting the Stones cheaters up, gather evidence and then make the thing public is the reason he is going to walk away free with his buddies...


Sweet victim blaming bro Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)
Natamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:34 PM   #9139
JustSome1
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 82
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiYBxMOHIZ8
24/07/2019

Mike stacking off on the river - MUST SEE - BOMBPOT also
He actually lost all of his chips and stood up from the table before the session ends
I can already tell by how he is sitting if he is not in god mode

https://youtu.be/ZiYBxMOHIZ8?t=9928

Full look on his phone screen

https://youtu.be/ZiYBxMOHIZ8?t=2646

Handreader didn't catch Mike's hand first, suddenly it appears a bit later, the
cards were not on the reader at first because he was sitting back

https://youtu.be/ZiYBxMOHIZ8?t=2684

Mike folding on river vs 5high - god mode OFF

https://youtu.be/ZiYBxMOHIZ8?t=3161

Oh, wow, Mike got in preflop and bad, i can't remember EVER seeing this
AJ vs AK - 1k rebuy

https://youtu.be/ZiYBxMOHIZ8?t=6865

Keys on rail - JFK around at the table - Mike's hat backwards
Mike is a lot at his phone, not really trying to hide it at all here

Last edited by JustSome1; 10-21-2019 at 02:03 PM.
JustSome1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:49 PM   #9140
jjjou812
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,551
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzesh View Post
I think finding Stones culpable falls under the facts they hold a license to provide poker services and a duty not to do so negligently..... and negligence could likely be found since the shceme involved their use of the technology for their business ....

No idea what the settlement figure may be, but it is clear whose stones are most subject to a profitable squeeze in this matter.
You are probably right. While I don't know of any duty imposed by the granting of the license, the fact that their streaming technology was the likely source of the information that made the cheating possible opens up all kinds of possible negligence claims. If they let Postle do the installation work, if it was wireless, not encrypted, etc. Also, if their first investigation was completed negligently maybe they are responsible for all of the losses that occurred later.

Then again, maybe the reasoning of the Ivey decision that there is an implied contract can be used to get at Stones.

I am just not aware of any financial fraud/theft cases where the victims get back 100% of their losses, plus attorney fees. Let alone a case where they get a 1000% of their losses. I am sure one is out there but most of these types of cases I know about the victims are lucky to get back 50% before attorney fees.
jjjou812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:20 PM   #9141
urubu222
grinder
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 438
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
Second of all, if Sacramento law enforcement is anything like Southern California law enforcement, they don't care about poker cheating. They MIGHT care now, because it is a big public scandal. But if I caught someone cheating at the Commerce casino and called the LA Sheriff's Department or the LA County District Attorney, I am pretty sure they wouldn't care one bit or do anything.

Going to Joey Ingram, with his dogged approach to investigation, was the only chance Veronica had of doing anything about this.
Iam interessed in what is going to happen to him. I only read about people talking about how he cheate, who was their team mates, but what actually going to happen ? whats the chance this goes to court ?

Is there any chance he got ****ed with couple years in jail ? or having to pay a lot moer than he won because he ****ed with Stones Image etc etc ?

I live in a corrupt country is grey zone so I have no idea how this will play in a place with regulated gambling laws.
urubu222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:13 PM   #9142
lawdude
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,305
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by urubu222 View Post
Iam interessed in what is going to happen to him. I only read about people talking about how he cheate, who was their team mates, but what actually going to happen ? whats the chance this goes to court ?

Is there any chance he got ****ed with couple years in jail ? or having to pay a lot moer than he won because he ****ed with Stones Image etc etc ?

I live in a corrupt country is grey zone so I have no idea how this will play in a place with regulated gambling laws.
The laws are in place in California to prosecute cheaters. He's likely guilty of at least two crimes- cheating in a card game, and using an electronic device to cheat in a card game. Both of those are punishable by jail/prison time in California. He is also possibly guilty of larceny by trick, which can be a misdemeanor or felony, depending on the amount taken.

But none of us have any idea if any preparation for a criminal prosecution is actually being done.
lawdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:16 PM   #9143
zizek
veteran
 
zizek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,175
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
The laws are in place in California to prosecute cheaters. He's likely guilty of at least two crimes- cheating in a card game, and using an electronic device to cheat in a card game. Both of those are punishable by jail/prison time in California. He is also possibly guilty of larceny by trick, which can be a misdemeanor or felony, depending on the amount taken.

But none of us have any idea if any preparation for a criminal prosecution is actually being done.
You mentioned the civil damages earlier. Are the civil damages a negative freeroll for Mike? If he's expected to pay back the money he won bluffing a guy off 9 high, does he also get the money back he lost to Rich with the Ace high bluff that he wouldn't have done except the fact he was cheating?
zizek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:26 PM   #9144
Jake Stanton
grinder
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 437
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

is it possible to block threads from appearing on the new post list or any other? i hope the people invovled get what they deserve but this thread brings me down ever time i see it. especially if i view it right before i head out to play... these douchebags did more than just stole from the people they were playing, they stole from all poker players... if the recreational player hears this story it might cause him to quit which effects everyone he normally plays agaisnt and this snowballs down to.everyone...

when i read about this story all i can vision is, "moneymaker created the poker boom" and "postle killed poker"...
Jake Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:41 PM   #9145
jjjou812
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,551
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Sorry your feelings get hurt reading this thread. No one stole from all poker players. Don't look at the political threads about immigrant kids in cages if this thread upsets you.
jjjou812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:44 PM   #9146
JohnAhole
banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 9
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Stanton View Post
is it possible to block threads from appearing on the new post list or any other? i hope the people invovled get what they deserve but this thread brings me down ever time i see it. especially if i view it right before i head out to play... these douchebags did more than just stole from the people they were playing, they stole from all poker players... if the recreational player hears this story it might cause him to quit which effects everyone he normally plays agaisnt and this snowballs down to.everyone...

when i read about this story all i can vision is, "moneymaker created the poker boom" and "postle killed poker"...
Congrats sir, you made the dumbest post in this entire thread
JohnAhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:49 PM   #9147
lawdude
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,305
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zizek View Post
You mentioned the civil damages earlier. Are the civil damages a negative freeroll for Mike? If he's expected to pay back the money he won bluffing a guy off 9 high, does he also get the money back he lost to Rich with the Ace high bluff that he wouldn't have done except the fact he was cheating?
Depends if a court or jury buys that argument. (In the real world, I doubt the civil case gets to trial, but if it did, the defense would certainly argue that, although my guess would be that a jury or judge wouldn't buy it.)
lawdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:19 PM   #9148
RussellinToronto
veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,066
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
At this point a clever person would just fold so as to maintain the integrity of the cheat, ... and move on. ... Mike is a dumbo and goes for the Jam, getting the fold.
I was reminded of the many, many statements (such as the one above) about MP's overreaching when I read this passage in Margaret Atwood's Handmaid's Tale today:
Quote:
Perhaps he’s reached that state of intoxication which power is said to inspire, the state in which you believe you are indispensable and can therefore do anything, absolutely anything you feel like, anything at all.
RussellinToronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:31 PM   #9149
Eponymous
Photoshop Comic Genius
 
Eponymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: How many letters do we have for thi
Posts: 4,572
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Stanton View Post
when i read about this story all i can vision is, "moneymaker created the poker boom" and "postle killed poker"...
The various online poker scandals didn't kill online poker. The UIGEA did more towards that end than anything. Likewise, this scandal will not kill live poker. If may continue to decline in popularity from the peak of the poker boom, but that will be unrelated to Postle.

People have been cheating at poker since its inception. It's part of its folklore. And yet, it has managed to survive.
Eponymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:39 PM   #9150
Natamus
Tripped and Fell
 
Natamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Where the buggalo roam
Posts: 16,373
Re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eponymous View Post
The various online poker scandals didn't kill online poker. The UIGEA did more towards that end than anything. Likewise, this scandal will not kill live poker. If may continue to decline in popularity from the peak of the poker boom, but that will be unrelated to Postle.



People have been cheating at poker since its inception. It's part of its folklore. And yet, it has managed to survive.


Fair point, after all the antagonist in everyone’s favorite poker movie (worm) is a constant cheat who is proud of not beating the game straight up, but rather gets a rush off getting away with the con. He and Mike even cheat the frat boy game even tho they don’t need it to win. They just fall back into their old tricks
Natamus is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive