Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

News, Views, and Gossip For poker news, views and gossip.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2019, 08:11 AM   #2901
dankhank
dankest of hanks
 
dankhank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: for me the action is the juice
Posts: 8,094
re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind On My Mind View Post
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/381941687?t=5970s

. Look at his reactions. Just so gross 1:39:30
He hates Bryan. Maximum punish and maximum mocking.
dankhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:14 AM   #2902
SootedPowa
veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,627
re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocked View Post
No, it was Taylor Carroll.
https://mobile.twitter.com/taylorw_carroll?lang=en

His on-stream name was "Hart Banson" as a joke because Bart Hanson was sitting right next to him.
SootedPowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:14 AM   #2903
hAmThEkIlLeR
grinder
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 569
re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

To Mike's statement about most feard players in Tunica 2003-2008:

Negranu, Greenstein, and Scotty Nguyen played the most often there, along with Moneymaker of course. Ivy showed up occasionally. You can look them up on the leaderboards with a quick search. Guess whose name doesn't come up on a leaderboard during that time period?
hAmThEkIlLeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:18 AM   #2904
27AllIn
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
27AllIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Every night to me is Halloween
Posts: 6,580
re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind On My Mind View Post
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/381941687?t=5970s

. Look at his reactions. Just so gross 1:39:30
One commentator sighs and goes "that's Mike Postle..." The lady in the commentary booth isn't even paying attention because it's nothing out of the ordinary for him to get it in on the flop for a 5k pot with second pair and scoop on a two board run-out.
27AllIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:18 AM   #2905
TimStone
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
TimStone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: all across Asia
Posts: 8,373
re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Guys hating on yellow vettes should be tarred and feathered on teh spot imo
TimStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:19 AM   #2906
a dewd
Pooh-Bah
 
a dewd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: west of the easternmost pt up north
Posts: 3,920
re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SootedPowa View Post
Can you link this post/hand, thank you.
I cannot remember the guys name here, something like 2_7_.... He only had a cpl of posts, last night he posted it, I think around 9:30-10:00 PM California time.
a dewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:21 AM   #2907
Alpha Fish
Pooh-Bah
 
Alpha Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,515
re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

SVP with GOAT presentation for someone who knows nothing about poker
Alpha Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:23 AM   #2908
a dewd
Pooh-Bah
 
a dewd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: west of the easternmost pt up north
Posts: 3,920
re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTLou View Post
we wont but investigators will. actual cheating devices are I am sure in a dumpster, but aren;t needed for prosecution.

Cant throw away text messages, phone logs, google searches, credit card charges (someone had to did buy cheating hardware, there were probably too stupid to not put on CC). Stuff in cloud lasts forever.

With other(s) having to be involved in setting up scam, hard to believe they didnt leave some electronic trail. they are toast.
If a legit investigation by L.E. is launched, they will eventually get word of someone involved. They will inform them that they will do everything they can to insure they sit in prison for a decade or two. You look like you"d be popular in prison, etc....and they will flip.
a dewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:28 AM   #2909
coach999
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: My basement
Posts: 1,155
re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

I just wanna say that if Mike really had 9s8s in that hand where they flipped the cards from 86o to 9s8s on the river then he would have checkraised the flop having a straight flush draw!
He really had the 86o and checkraised turn because he turned an OESD.

The mofo Taylor doing the graphics that night is for sure in on it. Investigate that guy!
coach999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:29 AM   #2910
Grind On My Mind
journeyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 325
re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/381941687?t=8032s

Picture of mikes phone with apps. Zoom in. 2:13:52. Is that the same device found from joeys stream? What apps are on that phone. Im on mobile so i cant dissect and zoom currently. But that looks like his device he uses for sure. Is that a normal phone with normal apps?
Grind On My Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:37 AM   #2911
lemon42
stranger
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 6
re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

love you guys, created this just to say awesome work
lemon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:38 AM   #2912
Loctus
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Loctus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,331
re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind On My Mind View Post
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/381941687?t=8032s

Picture of mikes phone with apps. Zoom in. 2:13:52. Is that the same device found from joeys stream? What apps are on that phone. Im on mobile so i cant dissect and zoom currently. But that looks like his device he uses for sure. Is that a normal phone with normal apps?
First off; really nice find. We've never seen the screen of his phone before. But, it looks like the normal homepage of any smartphone to me...
Loctus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:42 AM   #2913
~PLO~
enthusiast
 
~PLO~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: imakewinhappen
Posts: 65
re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Has anyone reviewed Mike's play from 2016-17? What were his results and how he acted at the table and whether or not he was doing the whole phone thing?
~PLO~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:45 AM   #2914
RobFarha
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
RobFarha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: @robbyrobbb
Posts: 9,472
re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/276443823?t=01h08m51s

Another card reader error with postles cards being the ones involved.

Haven’t seen this before
RobFarha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:46 AM   #2915
lvprof
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 128
re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Im headed to bed enough grinding the drama. I really think anyone whos got time should really look at others in the game. If he was this arrogant of making it this obvious hes cheating i think at some point he would have invited someone else to table to cheat with him. He clearly thought he wasn't going to get caught why not up the hourly. I think all the play needs to be looked at.
lvprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:46 AM   #2916
h.rauen
stranger
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 10
re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Wow, it's been awhile I've been here, but this is too juicy to pass.

I just want to make some comments on the overall situation:

First of all, let me make this clear: I believe Mike is guilty. With that out of the way, let's go: Mike is clearly not an idiot. Also he clearly did not come out of nowhere and started crushing it today. The testimonies suggest he was indeed a crusher back in the day and he played a similar style of super loose, weirdly agressive. Now we all now how poker was back then and this is in my opinion very believable. He probably even truly did super well online on that same time period. That to me seems all credible. He also probably was a great guy and someone fun to be around.

Now, poker has evolved and most (if not all) players that crushed with that kind of style evolved. Because people got smarter. Playing that way and still crushing? Not likely. But that is what Mike claimed he has managed to do.

My personal opinion is that along with almost everyone else who were winning big, he started winning less and less. To the point he became a losing player.

Now, he is back to old playstyle but with a little help. To be honest the suspicious **** about him is not his playstyle (like many people assume he is an idiot because he gets involved with low equity hands, and he is obviously cheating because no one would get involved in situation X without knowing villains hole cards etc). That's probably how he has always done it. But he used to get away with it (like people used to get away with 3b 50% of hands). The suspicious **** is that he almost never seems to be at the bad end of a move. The old school guys (from which he is a part) loves to fold their strong hands when they think their opponents are strong and bluff ridiculous spots when they think their opponents are weak (anyone remember hellmuth vs jungle on king of the hill?).

So to me he is just playing the style he probably has always played, but unlike the hellmuth and matusow of the world he just never (or at least almost never) get it wrong. And that is the weird part.

So don't focus on him doing strange pre flop calls, flop/turn floats or river leads. That's probably how he has always played. Focus on the fact that his timing is impeccable, not that he does it often.

One poster a long time ago said that if he/she were to cheat with access to hole cards, he/she would play their exact game but change frequencies in their favor, like: " I should call here 50% of the time, but since I know I'm beat I'll only call 20%."

That makes perfect sense, and I think Mike is doing exactly that, but based on his play style. He is the kind of guy who probably folds KK pre if he has a read that his opponent has AA. So when he does that on stream, it's not like a theory based player folding because he has a cheat. It's a "feel" player doing his thing. So the folding is not the suspicious part, it is the fact that he basically only folds (and bluffs) correctly.
h.rauen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:48 AM   #2917
Halo_P1
centurion
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 104
re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehandfold View Post
What's this poker app?
I am seriously convinced there is a money trail via that Poker App. And wouldn’t be surprised if the one/two accomplices needed a lot of money “transfers” for the 25c/50c game on it.
Halo_P1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:49 AM   #2918
PTLou
JellyBean
 
PTLou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Playing Offline Poker
Posts: 5,064
re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a dewd View Post
If a legit investigation by L.E. is launched, they will eventually get word of someone involved. They will inform them that they will do everything they can to insure they sit in prison for a decade or two. You look like you"d be popular in prison, etc....and they will flip.
will not decades. Up to 10K fine and 1yr in prison. There are specific crimes called out in CA Gaming Statutes.

1 yr will be plenty of time for Bubba to have his way with Mikey's arse



Quote:
337V. PROHIBITED DEVICES
It is unlawful for any person at a gambling establishment to use, or to possess with
the intent to use, any device to assist in any of the following:
(a) In projecting the outcome of the gambling game.
(b) In keeping track of the cards played.
(c) In analyzing the probability of the occurrence of an event relating to the gambling
game.
142 Statutes
Penal Code
(d) In analyzing the strategy for playing or wagering to be used in the gambling game,
except as p
PTLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:50 AM   #2919
minraisecall
stranger
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 8
re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Just registered on here to post as I've been following since day 1 and I must start by saying congrats everyone on one of the best threads I've seen on here to date.

In the space of a few pages this thread jumps from some of the most thorough online private detective work ever seen to posts that resemble Inspector Clouseau on a bad day (morse code and RFID detectors able to read the entire deck from metres away come to mind). It has made for a hilarious read.

My two cents on this are:

1. This should have been the perfect crime. A wifi access point with little to no security gives you access to the server receiving the RFID data in real time, stream the output from the video poker table software to your phone and when they ban phones just have someone read out the cards to you via concealed bone-conducting headphones. During the phone era it's likely that Mike was simply watching the stream in real time on his phone, it's hard to call someone out for watching a stream on his phone when everyone else is watching the 30 min DELAYED stream on theirs. Unless they specifically check your phone and see the real time action it looks as innocent as everyone else. Simple but effective. More importantly i feel this shows us Mike's real life poker ability in a stark light. Put this method in the hands of an actual 5-5 crusher with bad intentions and he manipulates the results so perfectly that he ends up crushing just that bit harder and everyone around him is none the wiser and can't prove otherwise. It takes someone with a very poor poker mind to pull off the things he did, which is why it was so painfully obvious to the poker community.

2. It's not a certainty that there was an accomplice. I agree Justin being out of town is fishy and there is a high probability someone else was involved, but hear me out. Perhaps Mike isn't a complete bonehead and managed to get the password for Justin's user account (the two being close friends might help). On this account there is access to the passwords for the wifi access points, or perhaps even access to a dashboard for the entire wifi network showing every device connected to it. Perhaps Mike realises that to make his whole scheme work in any way he must only log in to this account when Justin is in the building and those are the only requirements. Logging into the account when Justin leaves for vegas leaves a very glaring paper trail that something fishy is going on to any IT administrator. He might have thought that once he's covered this base it's fair game and he can do what he wants on the table, no matter how stupid and clear the cheating looks. He was clearly under the impression he was untouchable.

3. Stones have handled this like children It's hard not to argue this. I'm not even sure where to start but every time they seem to be getting something right they end up falling so wide of the mark it's not even funny any more. They only have themselves to blame that we all think that there are moles within the company as that is exactly how all of this looks. Please can the gaming commission or someone without obvious conflict of interest take a serious and thorough look into this. It matters not just for the poker community but for the integrity of live streamed sports, e-sports and the gaming community in general.

Thanks for a great thread guys can't wait for the movie starring Ed Norton.
minraisecall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:53 AM   #2920
Gowon
stranger
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9
re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hAmThEkIlLeR View Post
To Mike's statement about most feard players in Tunica 2003-2008:

Negranu, Greenstein, and Scotty Nguyen played the most often there, along with Moneymaker of course. Ivy showed up occasionally. You can look them up on the leaderboards with a quick search. Guess whose name doesn't come up on a leaderboard during that time period?
I haven't been on 2+2 in many years but this thread brought me back. I used to play with Mike a lot back in exactly those years 2003-2008 in Tunica and I knew him fairly well outside of the tables as well. I just wanted to shed some light on some parts of that at least. Mike was definitely considered one of the better players in Tunica during that time and he had a "celebrity aura" at the casino even back then. All the dealers, floors and players would seemingly look up to him. The local game was an uncapped $2/5 that played huge, with a lot of people buying in 10k deep even back then. Postle was definitely not god-moding like he is now, but he was very LAG and liked to drink at the table and gamble a lot back then and he was a good poker player. I don't think of him as a live game crusher back then but in all fairness I don't think I've played many sessions with him when he actually tried. It always felt like he was blowing off steam and gambled for fun when he played live.

He didn't play that cashgame regularly however, as I know he was grinding 10/25 cashgames on UB at the same time. He would just pop in on occasion a few times a month and just splash around in the games with the attitude of it being a way smaller game than what he normally plays. He did this for years. The local 40 dollar Monday rebuy tournament he would usually get drunk and try to set rebuy records (and he won that very tournament a few dozen times).

I don't know if he was a 2 million winner as he claims, but he was beating the games, definitely had money and I know he was playing 10/25+ headsup on there. It's all just such a clusterfk to hear all this about him afterwards... surreal.
Gowon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:58 AM   #2921
THAY3R
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
THAY3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Que?
Posts: 36,550
re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THAY3R View Post
My read is that Justin and others are in on it

I think the best defense of Justin is a great Chomsky quote in an interview with a top political commentator:

"I’m sure you believe everything you’re saying. But what I’m saying is that if you believe something different, you wouldn’t be sitting where you’re sitting.”
THAY3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:01 AM   #2922
hemstock
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,623
re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.rauen View Post
Wow, it's been awhile I've been here, but this is too juicy to pass.

I just want to make some comments on the overall situation:

First of all, let me make this clear: I believe Mike is guilty. With that out of the way, let's go: Mike is clearly not an idiot. Also he clearly did not come out of nowhere and started crushing it today. The testimonies suggest he was indeed a crusher back in the day and he played a similar style of super loose, weirdly agressive. Now we all now how poker was back then and this is in my opinion very believable. He probably even truly did super well online on that same time period. That to me seems all credible. He also probably was a great guy and someone fun to be around.

Now, poker has evolved and most (if not all) players that crushed with that kind of style evolved. Because people got smarter. Playing that way and still crushing? Not likely. But that is what Mike claimed he has managed to do.

My personal opinion is that along with almost everyone else who were winning big, he started winning less and less. To the point he became a losing player.

Now, he is back to old playstyle but with a little help. To be honest the suspicious **** about him is not his playstyle (like many people assume he is an idiot because he gets involved with low equity hands, and he is obviously cheating because no one would get involved in situation X without knowing villains hole cards etc). That's probably how he has always done it. But he used to get away with it (like people used to get away with 3b 50% of hands). The suspicious **** is that he almost never seems to be at the bad end of a move. The old school guys (from which he is a part) loves to fold their strong hands when they think their opponents are strong and bluff ridiculous spots when they think their opponents are weak (anyone remember hellmuth vs jungle on king of the hill?).

So to me he is just playing the style he probably has always played, but unlike the hellmuth and matusow of the world he just never (or at least almost never) get it wrong. And that is the weird part.

So don't focus on him doing strange pre flop calls, flop/turn floats or river leads. That's probably how he has always played. Focus on the fact that his timing is impeccable, not that he does it often.

One poster a long time ago said that if he/she were to cheat with access to hole cards, he/she would play their exact game but change frequencies in their favor, like: " I should call here 50% of the time, but since I know I'm beat I'll only call 20%."

That makes perfect sense, and I think Mike is doing exactly that, but based on his play style. He is the kind of guy who probably folds KK pre if he has a read that his opponent has AA. So when he does that on stream, it's not like a theory based player folding because he has a cheat. It's a "feel" player doing his thing. So the folding is not the suspicious part, it is the fact that he basically only folds (and bluffs) correctly.
He calls an AI preflop with 54o 3way.
Literally put the last money in.
And this guy is winning close to 150bb/100.
hemstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:01 AM   #2923
GarbageReg
banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 393
re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK Barrel View Post
People who played against him are not at fault. Only a handful of the hands he played are suspicious on their own. Most can be reasonably explained on their own. It's the fact that he took the perfect line, every single time, over hundreds of hours that made the cheating obvious.

Thousands of people watched the live streams, it took Veronica coming forward to blow this open. It's hard to notice cheating until you are looking for it. Then it's obvious.

Even the commentators were duped. I doubt the entire commentating crew were in on it. You wouldn't even consider that someone who plays every show is blatantly cheating.

Whole sessions are suspicious, hundreds of hands, and it only takes 1 of those super dodgy hands to basically give the game up, like the 86o or 84 call down or the A3cc bluff when he should never have even got the river let alone bluffed.

I'm sure many people watching the stream thought it was suspicious but they didn't have the public platform to get noticed. I never said the players deserved to be robbed but they were just stupid to not notice someone super using so blatantly with hole cards exposed. Commentators were clearly idiots also or part of the scam the way they were selling that bs.
GarbageReg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:04 AM   #2924
momentaryblip
journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 274
re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Re: theories about that the checking of the phone is actually him calling or texting the back or asking them to call him and then him receiving the call in the bone conduction headphones....

If he has the bone conduction headphones and the ability to hook a phone call into it, why would he be on and off queuing them manually somehow to “call him”...? Wouldn’t they just have an ongoing call that persists throughout the whole session? That would make more sense to me. I think that the looking down at the phone he is looking at a text communication that has simple instructions for every street decision. Eg “call” “3x raise”, “jam” etc.

Eg, KISS
momentaryblip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:07 AM   #2925
a dewd
Pooh-Bah
 
a dewd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: west of the easternmost pt up north
Posts: 3,920
re: Mike Postle cheating allegations (FAQ in first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTLou View Post
will not decades. Up to 10K fine and 1yr in prison. There are specific crimes called out in CA Gaming Statutes.

1 yr will be plenty of time for Bubba to have his way with Mikey's arse
If he is working with others, then it would be a conspiracy to commit fraud. Federal L.E., not a gaming commission, could take this over. Conspiracy charges definitely carry more than a year sentence.

They would use it as a threat, anyway. Once someone lawyers up, cops cannot talk to them directly without representation present. This has blown up to the extent a non poker related show on ESPN had a segment on it. I'd almost be surprised if the feds don't step in at this point.

One year is county time and in California that is very short, probably be out in 3 or 4 months and as a non violent crime, it would be at a medium security which is not a big deal.
a dewd is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive