Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

News, Views, and Gossip For poker news, views, and gossip

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2020, 09:02 PM   #26
whatthejish
Pooh-Bah
 
whatthejish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 5,051
Re: Maria Konnikova's Atlantic article: How I Became a Poker Champion in One Year

lol, anyone criticizing clearly only read the title.

It's a well written excerpt, sounds like the book is solid.
whatthejish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:30 PM   #27
WorldsBiggestNit
adept
 
WorldsBiggestNit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 903
Re: Maria Konnikova's Atlantic article: How I Became a Poker Champion in One Year

Somebody earlier said this but it's worth reiterating for the people nitpicking the title. Editors usually write story headlines for online outlets. Writers write the content. They oftentimes don't even see the headline before the story runs.

Listened to her on some podcast appearances. She seems very sharp and humble. Best yet, she's introducing poker to a totally new audience. I'm looking forward to reading the book.
WorldsBiggestNit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 04:50 AM   #28
Wilbury Twist
Pooh-Bah
 
Wilbury Twist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: 4977 miles from Kells
Posts: 4,799
Re: Maria Konnikova's Atlantic article: How I Became a Poker Champion in One Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthejish View Post
lol, anyone criticizing clearly only read the title.

It's a well written excerpt, sounds like the book is solid.
+1

The excerpt itself is what got me to put in my order. Definitely looks like a great read.
Wilbury Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:05 AM   #29
Elite Rounder
See my coaching listing
 
Elite Rounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Film studio
Posts: 1,205
Re: Maria Konnikova's Atlantic article: How I Became a Poker Champion in One Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooooBingo View Post
You do realise it's written for a non-poker audience. How do you think she should write for them?

"Anyway, so I was UTG+2 and I opened with JTs for 2.5 BBs. CO flats (ha, what a fish) and BTN raises to 9.5 BBs."

It's a story of a novice taking up a new game that she had misconceptions about, and what happened when she was coached by one of the winningest players of all time.

No nuance is required here. So what if she calls herself a "poker champion" or if Seidel isn't really the GOAT. No one except poker nerds care about either of those two things. And if poker nerds were smart enough to even realise why she wrote the book or who the target audience is (and isn't), then they wouldn't be complaining about it here.
Yeah, I just pointed out it's silly name for an article, which gives totally wrong idea what tournaments are about. Of course I understand the marketing side of it. It will make more money this way, but for a tournament professional it's a silly name for obvious reasons. Winning one tournament and calling yourself champ. Okay.. In the end, it's just marketing.

To me it's silly, to people who have no idea of MTTs it's probably fine.
Elite Rounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:45 AM   #30
M@tacow
stranger
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 12
Re: Maria Konnikova's Atlantic article: How I Became a Poker Champion in One Year

The article is well written that is why I am baffled she makes such a mistake as to say that Seidel had a set of queens versus Johnny Chan when he infact had top pair with a 7 kicker. That is a huge mistake in the article
M@tacow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:45 AM   #31
6 Deuce Suited
grinder
 
6 Deuce Suited's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: River Street
Posts: 456
Re: Maria Konnikova's Atlantic article: How I Became a Poker Champion in One Year

Great article and looking forward to reading the book. Sounds like she’s done a great job of portraying poker in a positive light for a more broader audience. And it’s even better coming from her because she’s already an established, and highly-successful author in the public’s eye. Good for the game in every aspect.

Don’t understand the criticism - many great books have small errors or slight exaggerations on details to make things more interesting.
6 Deuce Suited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:56 AM   #32
brandoh
stranger
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 9
Re: Maria Konnikova's Atlantic article: How I Became a Poker Champion in One Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Rounder View Post
Yeah, I just pointed out it's silly name for an article, which gives totally wrong idea what tournaments are about. Of course I understand the marketing side of it. It will make more money this way, but for a tournament professional it's a silly name for obvious reasons. Winning one tournament and calling yourself champ. Okay.. In the end, it's just marketing.

To me it's silly, to people who have no idea of MTTs it's probably fine.

Her book that the excerpt is from is titled The Biggest Bluff. As someone mentioned the editor chooses the article headline, not the author.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brandoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:06 AM   #33
harkin
veteran
 
harkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tahoe
Posts: 2,694
Re: Maria Konnikova's Atlantic article: How I Became a Poker Champion in One Year

Finally got around to reading the article.

Very enjoyable even though it was written for non-poker players. Anything that brings in more players is good and this would not only do that but also encourage more women to give it a try.

The brief mention of the names and complaints men have thrown her way is also illustrative of the added stuff women have to deal with in addition to the normal table shade.

Good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M@tacow View Post
The article is well written that is why I am baffled she makes such a mistake as to say that Seidel had a set of queens versus Johnny Chan when he infact had top pair with a 7 kicker. That is a huge mistake in the article
That got me too, I had to search the hand to make sure I remembered it correctly. For some reason there are plenty of recaps of the hand but I couldn’t find the video.
harkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 03:11 PM   #34
parisron
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
parisron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,318
Re: Maria Konnikova's Atlantic article: How I Became a Poker Champion in One Year

parisron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 03:28 PM   #35
MrFabulous
journeyman
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 361
Re: Maria Konnikova's Atlantic article: How I Became a Poker Champion in One Year

Okay, now we are High Stakes Poker...didn´t take long
MrFabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 04:36 PM   #36
harkin
veteran
 
harkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tahoe
Posts: 2,694
Re: Maria Konnikova's Atlantic article: How I Became a Poker Champion in One Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFabulous View Post
Okay, now we are High Stakes Poker...didn´t take long
Who will portray her in the movie?
harkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 05:54 PM   #37
archimedes11
adept
 
archimedes11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: u know what it is
Posts: 1,116
Re: Maria Konnikova's Atlantic article: How I Became a Poker Champion in One Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by M@tacow View Post
The article is well written that is why I am baffled she makes such a mistake as to say that Seidel had a set of queens versus Johnny Chan when he infact had top pair with a 7 kicker. That is a huge mistake in the article
This explains a lot, because if Seidel had had a set of Qs then he wouldn't be guilty of being "trapped" by Chan. That'd just be a cooler.
archimedes11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:42 AM   #38
AceJacko
stranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 13
Re: Maria Konnikova's Atlantic article: How I Became a Poker Champion in One Year

At risk of derailing the thread; losing with top pair short stacked and heads up is still a cooler. This is only a special hand because the hot girl in rounders said it was.

News media is biased towards sensationalism and laziness. It happens everywhere it’s just easier to spot when you are an expert in a topic.
AceJacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:01 AM   #39
DC2LV
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 2,716
Re: Maria Konnikova's Atlantic article: How I Became a Poker Champion in One Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iblis View Post
tl;dr?
Quote:
Originally Posted by namisgr11 View Post
So you won't be buying the book, then.

LOL
DC2LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:31 AM   #40
deuceblocker
old hand
 
deuceblocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 1,227
Re: Maria Konnikova's Atlantic article: How I Became a Poker Champion in One Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by archimedes11 View Post
This explains a lot, because if Seidel had had a set of Qs then he wouldn't be guilty of being "trapped" by Chan. That'd just be a cooler.
He wasn't trapped anyway like it was presented in Rounders. Seidel was value betting.
deuceblocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:49 PM   #41
legionrainfall
grinder
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 557
Re: Maria Konnikova's Atlantic article: How I Became a Poker Champion in One Year

It's amazing to have a legitimate educated person be an ambassador for the game.
This will be a great book, but it will not reach outside of poker circles
legionrainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:30 PM   #42
NickMPK
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10,736
Re: Maria Konnikova's Atlantic article: How I Became a Poker Champion in One Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by legionrainfall View Post
This will be a great book, but it will not reach outside of poker circles
I'm not sure why you believe that. The author has a pretty wide following as a book and magazine writer completely outside of poker.

The books is currently listed as the #29 best selling book on Amazon overall.

It is obviously the #1 book in the "card games" category, but also the #1 book in "cognitive psychology" and "business decision making".
NickMPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:58 PM   #43
parisron
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
parisron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,318
Re: Maria Konnikova's Atlantic article: How I Became a Poker Champion in One Year

I don't know where you are seeing "#29 best selling book on Amazon overall".
I am seeing #219 right now.

That is only because its new and popular, been on TV and people are touting it on Twitter.
In a month or 2, it will be #500 or much higher.

edit:
Ok, it is different for the hard cover book. I never look at that anyway. I only do kindle books for many years.
parisron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:02 PM   #44
NickMPK
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10,736
Re: Maria Konnikova's Atlantic article: How I Became a Poker Champion in One Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisron View Post
That is only because its new and popular, been on TV and people are touting it on Twitter.
OK, but don't you think this is how most popular books become popular?
When was the last time a poker book had this much mainstream attention?
NickMPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:55 PM   #45
Mason Malmuth
Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 11,333
Re: Maria Konnikova's Atlantic article: How I Became a Poker Champion in One Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisron View Post
I don't know where you are seeing "#29 best selling book on Amazon overall".
I am seeing #219 right now.

That is only because its new and popular, been on TV and people are touting it on Twitter.
In a month or 2, it will be #500 or much higher.

edit:
Ok, it is different for the hard cover book. I never look at that anyway. I only do kindle books for many years.
Hi parison:

This is a subject I know a little about. A sales rank of 500 still means a lot of books are being sold. The real answer will be what happens to the book over time. Some best sellers are done after six weeks, others can have good sales for much longer.

Best wishes,
Mason
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:17 AM   #46
agamblerthen
journeyman
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SF
Posts: 282
Re: Maria Konnikova's Atlantic article: How I Became a Poker Champion in One Year

Here's the passage from the Atlantic magazine article people have been criticizing as inaccurate:
"This is the most famous poker match in the nonpoker world, in which Seidel’s set of queens falls to Chan’s straight, after the older player sets an expert trap for his less experienced victim."

Here's the corresponding passage in Maria Konnikova's book The Biggest Bluff:
"The most famous poker match in the non-poker world. Seidel's queens falling to Chan's straight—an expert trap for an unwitting victim."

There are numerous differences, some minor (like getting rid of the hyphen in "non-poker"), some more substantial (like changing "Seidel's queens" to "Seidel's set of queens" and changing "unwitting victim" to "less experienced victim").

How did this happen? I can only speculate. The publisher wants to publish an excerpt in a magazine around the time the book comes out to drum up interest. The publisher sends uncorrected galley proofs to a handful of magazine editors, and the Atlantic secures the right to publish an excerpt. An Atlantic editor selects certain passages from the book, rearranges them, and massages the prose to make these snippets work as a stand-alone magazine piece. In fact, multiple editors may be involved in this process of selection, massaging, and copyediting; probably one of them made this erroneous change. Maybe the author saw the Atlantic excerpt before it went to press; maybe not. But if this change wasn't specifically called out for her approval, it could be easy to gloss over it—especially if it's been six months or a year since she wrote that passage.

My point is, give her a break. She's a top-notch writer. And she got Seidel's hand right in her book. And this does look to be a book, like Positively Fifth Street, that will appeal to poker players and non-poker-playing readers alike. I look forward to reading it soon.
agamblerthen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:05 AM   #47
DownandUnder
centurion
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 121
Re: Maria Konnikova's Atlantic article: How I Became a Poker Champion in One Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by agamblerthen View Post
Here's the passage from the Atlantic magazine article people have been criticizing as inaccurate:
"This is the most famous poker match in the nonpoker world, in which Seidel’s set of queens falls to Chan’s straight, after the older player sets an expert trap for his less experienced victim."

Here's the corresponding passage in Maria Konnikova's book The Biggest Bluff:
"The most famous poker match in the non-poker world. Seidel's queens falling to Chan's straight—an expert trap for an unwitting victim."

There are numerous differences, some minor (like getting rid of the hyphen in "non-poker"), some more substantial (like changing "Seidel's queens" to "Seidel's set of queens" and changing "unwitting victim" to "less experienced victim").

How did this happen? I can only speculate. The publisher wants to publish an excerpt in a magazine around the time the book comes out to drum up interest. The publisher sends uncorrected galley proofs to a handful of magazine editors, and the Atlantic secures the right to publish an excerpt. An Atlantic editor selects certain passages from the book, rearranges them, and massages the prose to make these snippets work as a stand-alone magazine piece. In fact, multiple editors may be involved in this process of selection, massaging, and copyediting; probably one of them made this erroneous change. Maybe the author saw the Atlantic excerpt before it went to press; maybe not. But if this change wasn't specifically called out for her approval, it could be easy to gloss over it—especially if it's been six months or a year since she wrote that passage.

My point is, give her a break. She's a top-notch writer. And she got Seidel's hand right in her book. And this does look to be a book, like Positively Fifth Street, that will appeal to poker players and non-poker-playing readers alike. I look forward to reading it soon.

Mods please ban this guy he clearly has way too much common sense, insight and intelligence for these forums.
DownandUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:57 PM   #48
brandoh
stranger
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 9
Re: Maria Konnikova's Atlantic article: How I Became a Poker Champion in One Year

I've sent a notice to The Atlantic notifying them of their set of Queens error. I hope that they can soon correct this travesty.
brandoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:01 PM   #49
Abbaddabba
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: twitch.tv/abbaddabba
Posts: 5,590
Re: Maria Konnikova's Atlantic article: How I Became a Poker Champion in One Year

cliffs: middle aged guy who has spent an entire life mastering poker offers free coaching to attractive woman, teaching her to beat tournaments that have profit ceiling of $20/h, then stakes her in big buy in tournaments and she rolls the dice over a trivial sample size.

whether she was actually profitable and/or whether eric got a BJ out of it? tbd

the funny thing is she's likely down a considerable amount of money at live tournaments (over what is an admittedly trivial sample size). there's a lot of ambiguity because we have no idea what percent of the tournaments that she played in were cashed in, but if it was 15 to 20% (which is to say there are 5-6 buyins at each stake for every cash) her buyins would add up to around 400-600k while she's only cashed for 300k.

granted most of the buyins would be from the 10ks and 5ks that she played in and she may well have cashed in 30-40% of them, in which case her buyins would only be in the ballpark of 200k, but even in that extremely optimistic scenario - with tax implications and costs associated with travel/hotels, she'd for sure be down money and probably quite a bit.

I don't have any issue with her writing about her experiences but the idea that we should venerate her because it will encourage more people to take up poker...

Quote:
Very enjoyable even though it was written for non-poker players. Anything that brings in more players is good and this would not only do that but also encourage more women to give it a try.
it's good for people who're making money at poker. probably not so good for the people will end up spending time and losing money because they've been fed an unrealistic portrayal of their chances of success.
Abbaddabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:55 PM   #50
BrickMMA
enthusiast
 
BrickMMA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 62
Re: Maria Konnikova's Atlantic article: How I Became a Poker Champion in One Year

The hostility on this topic is truly baffling. I can only speculate as to true motivation behind some of these posts. It was an entertaining little yarn in a magazine, coming from a book that's probably a nice, relaxing diverting read. Hope she makes a few bucks off it, the publishing world is brutal. Why the attacks? Nvm, I don't really care.
BrickMMA is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online