Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

News, Views, and Gossip For poker news, views, and gossip

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2018, 07:39 PM   #876
pucmo
grinder
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Euro
Posts: 550
Re: Many Pokerstars accounts hacked recently, Stars accepts no liability

Quote:
Originally Posted by vherreral View Post
Are these kind of links safe?
Not as a default, as you don't know what there is. Or if you limit your browser and so on and never click anything there, it might be safe, but who knows.

The safest is to use another computer, e.g. a tablet to visit unknown sites as one can clean it with a push of the button (losing all but what it was when you bought it).

What comes to the knowledge there, it seems hackers prefer to lose the account money to other players, including to the player(s) cashing it out.

The hacker can make a new deposit/withdrawal method, and you are not protected well enough; a couple of days (you might get an email of the deposit, and other things to think about here) or a raking need that takes minutes as far as the small deposit amount goes.

The link lists ways to protect so the hacker e.g. never gets into your account in the first place.
pucmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:24 AM   #877
I_C_YA_KARDZ
journeyman
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: On the river
Posts: 263
Re: Many Pokerstars accounts hacked recently, Stars accepts no liability

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmoTrutta View Post
Bad idea. You want people to be able to login from wherever without carrying a token and waiting for it to be mailed out before getting in on the action etc. The day hopping onto the table isn't a casual matter the site dies.

Being able to connect a new neteller account just like that as a thief is the absurd part in this. Many other sites will only allow you to withdraw to the same card/account you deposited with, otherwise you have to go through a verification process with support etc.
After I had issue with my account a few years ago stars told me to start using the keypad the 1 which comes up after entering your P.W & every time you log in the numbers move around.

They should make that 1 mandatory for everyone since they have it if its going to add some extra security.

I agree its CRAZY how someone could add a new neteller account & withdrawl.
I_C_YA_KARDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:26 AM   #878
+rep_lol
El Guapo
 
+rep_lol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 12,480
Re: Many Pokerstars accounts hacked recently, Stars accepts no liability

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucmo View Post
Not as a default, as you don't know what there is. Or if you limit your browser and so on and never click anything there, it might be safe, but who knows.

The safest is to use another computer, e.g. a tablet to visit unknown sites as one can clean it with a push of the button (losing all but what it was when you bought it).

What comes to the knowledge there, it seems hackers prefer to lose the account money to other players, including to the player(s) cashing it out.

The hacker can make a new deposit/withdrawal method, and you are not protected well enough; a couple of days (you might get an email of the deposit, and other things to think about here) or a raking need that takes minutes as far as the small deposit amount goes.

The link lists ways to protect so the hacker e.g. never gets into your account in the first place.
ehh maybe a PSA here re: that link- i dont think i'd even click it tbh. "pokeroff" (staking organization run out of russia by max katz, i think) bought a large chunk of my main event action a few years back- everything went smoothly. then the next year i tried to contact a couple of them to see if they were interested again and the website was down, the email links were broken, couple of the liasons were nowhere to be found, so i just kinda shrugged and assumed they went busto and i sold off to others instead.

i'd be extremely skeptical of any "pokeroff.ru" link, particularly any having anything to do with hackers.

note that i'm not implying anybody from pokeroff is trying to hack or scam people, but that hackers may have co-opted the website domain and are getting people that way
+rep_lol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:32 AM   #879
Josem
human chemical weapon
 
Josem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Getting Trolled
Posts: 16,589
Re: Many Pokerstars accounts hacked recently, Stars accepts no liability

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_C_YA_KARDZ View Post
After I had issue with my account a few years ago stars told me to start using the keypad the 1 which comes up after entering your P.W & every time you log in the numbers move around.

They should make that 1 mandatory for everyone since they have it if its going to add some extra security.
The numeric keypad was good, 10 years ago, when it was introduced, against certain, limited threats. Particularly, it was useful for people who were crap at creating unique passwords (lol, WSOP2004), and helped people who were at risk of having a family member log on to their device without their authorisation. Thus, it helped against "accidental" or less sophisticated offenders.

However, the keypad thing is pretty mediocre at defending against determined malicious hackers who can obtain a victim's email address, since it can easily be reset by email.


Instead, to combat against the sorts of threats at risk in this thread and more common these days, PokerStars should make this far more prominent/default/mandatory: https://www.pokerstars.com/poker/roo...smsvalidation/

The widespread adoption of SMS Validation by PokerStars customers would substantially reduce the risk of hackers like those that have plagued this thread, and that are likely to be common in the near future.
Josem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #880
falldown
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,012
Re: Many Pokerstars accounts hacked recently, Stars accepts no liability

Having read a bunch of this thread, and with no dog in the fight, I wasn't hacked and I live in the US so don't play on stars...

1) I think dual layer token type logins would obviously help.
2) There is next to zero chance that Pokerstars' passwords haven't been hacked from the source. Too many people with unique passwords to Pokerstars having only their Pokerstars stuff stolen.

So both sides of this debate are right. Pokerstars however is wrong.
falldown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:58 AM   #881
LektorAJ
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
LektorAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: none
Posts: 6,533
Re: Many Pokerstars accounts hacked recently, Stars accepts no liability

^ It was pretty much confirmed ITT (by the question being repeated ignored) that the passwords were stored in hashed but not salted form, which is not secure enough basically.

However, re: two-factor authentication I keep saying this but it keeps getting ignored. Some of the hacked accounts are ones that had been dormant for some time, money was deposited fraudulently then withdrawn / lost to other accounts.

Pokerstars are never going to start issuing RSA tokens to people who last played years ago and nor should those people be responsible for knowing they should get them.

PS need to improve their internal procedures and everything else is a non-starter.
LektorAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:49 AM   #882
mirage01
veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,678
Re: Many Pokerstars accounts hacked recently, Stars accepts no liability

How could someone hack your password? Its pretty hard to just get hacked these days if you have a firewall I would have thought. They didn't also get you internet banking details, just PS account hey?..
mirage01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:10 AM   #883
Josem
human chemical weapon
 
Josem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Getting Trolled
Posts: 16,589
Re: Many Pokerstars accounts hacked recently, Stars accepts no liability

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage01 View Post
How could someone hack your password? Its pretty hard to just get hacked these days if you have a firewall I would have thought. They didn't also get you internet banking details, just PS account hey?..
There's no evidence that there's been a breach of PokerStars passwords on PokerStars' end. Apart from anything else, failing to disclose it on their end would probably open the company up to a whole range to really harsh penalties.
Josem is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online