Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

News, Views, and Gossip For poker news, views, and gossip

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2021, 07:33 PM   #326
inmyrav
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,589
Re: Hellmuth vs. Negreanu "High Stakes Duel 2" Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dima2000123 View Post
I predict Negreanu will break down his performance and figure out effectively what he'll need to do differently next time.
If he had simply put phil all in when he had the 64 vs 99 he'd have won. But DNegs had a strategy that included goals beyond winning the match. He wanted to humiliate Phil. He's been at this for years, even when they were analysis 'partners' and DNegs would just go after all of Phil's well known soft spots. Like a 5 year old killing ants on the sidewalk.

DNegs is a lowlife. He lost because he wants to humiliate Phil and he increased the risk continuing the match with Phil short stacked instead of going all in and ending it.

That's a poor poker decision, and it is a huge weakness in his game. If he can't focus on poker and stop trying to play mind games with Phil, he'll continue to get caught up in Phil's white magic and forget what they are there to do.

This happened specifically because Phil manipulates players into engaging his Poker Brat personality. It's a very important part of his game and it works to his advantage. You guys don't include this as part of a poker skill set, but it is as much as being a social butterfly is. Memorizing push fold charts as the 'greatest' today do isn't a skill.
inmyrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:27 PM   #327
BSumner
newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 29
Re: Hellmuth vs. Negreanu "High Stakes Duel 2" Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid-A View Post
I think we all know what's gonna happen.. Phil will play play objectively terrible poker and win. And we'll never hear the end of it. Just like the times he never cheated on his wife.
Weird how that style has led to the best tourney numbers of all time. Maybe he is "objectively terrible" like a fox?

Dont get mad at me, the numbers are the numbers
People belittle and downplay his tourney results, and yet no one has topped them, so it's kinda like finding a way to downplay Brady's SB rings. "ya, well guys like Montana played a decade less . . . " so?
BSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:32 PM   #328
BSumner
newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 29
Re: Hellmuth vs. Negreanu "High Stakes Duel 2" Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisron View Post
That is what I was thinking. But as it turned out to be a 6 hour+ match, maybe it worked out for him, as toward the end Daniel was probably feeling hungry. .
IF Daniel is indeed a vegan AND works out, he has to eat every 3 hours or so, nothing in the vegan diet will hold you for longer than that.
BSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:41 PM   #329
BSumner
newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 29
Re: Hellmuth vs. Negreanu "High Stakes Duel 2" Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmode View Post
Is Phil too stubborn to adjust to the modern game or does he feel that his style of play is superior?
Would his tourney results the past decade lead him to suspect it isn't superior?

The number of ways people try to belittle PH's accomplishments is astounding.

If he had the personality of Dan Harrington, no one would do this. People just hate his personality so much they can't accept that he is still the Tourney GOAT
BSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:44 PM   #330
BSumner
newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 29
Re: Hellmuth vs. Negreanu "High Stakes Duel 2" Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore View Post
Surprise!!! Watching or even playing live poker is boring. This is why hundreds of hours of HSPhands were edited to less than 10 hours of poker. It is why the Nov nine format sucked so much. Same for pretty much all live poker.

Live poker should almost never be shown or watched live.
This might be the most intelligent post in this entire thread.
BSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:16 AM   #331
SizzlerFTW
veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,086
Re: Hellmuth vs. Negreanu "High Stakes Duel 2" Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSumner View Post
IF Daniel is indeed a vegan AND works out, he has to eat every 3 hours or so, nothing in the vegan diet will hold you for longer than that.
Confirmed 0 knowledge of vegan (and other) diet.
SizzlerFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 05:24 AM   #332
Notor1ous
grinder
 
Notor1ous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: still isolating limpers
Posts: 622
Re: Hellmuth vs. Negreanu "High Stakes Duel 2" Confirmed

People ITT severely overvaluing live tourney results nitpicked to show that he is a successful live tournament player lol. It s not like Federer in Tennis which has confronted himself with the top competition each year for 10+ years. I am rooting for Phil ofc but cmon
Notor1ous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:35 AM   #333
SimpleRick
veteran
 
SimpleRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,735
Re: Hellmuth vs. Negreanu "High Stakes Duel 2" Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSumner View Post
IF Daniel is indeed a vegan AND works out, he has to eat every 3 hours or so, nothing in the vegan diet will hold you for longer than that.
Confirmed 0 knowledge of food or the human body.

Oatmeal sticks to your ribs. You've probably never eaten falafel. Simple beans and rice will fill you up for a long time. Peanut butter sandwiches are delicious.

Your liver stores glycogen which is a polysaccharide of glucose. Your adipose tissue (fat) stores triglyceride. Both are stores of energy. The average human being can go a long time without eating and be fine, in fact periods of fasting are healthy for all animals. Most metabolic diseases are from overeating and animals (including humans) who eat too much and too often actually live shorter less healthy lives.
SimpleRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:23 AM   #334
ScotchOnDaRocks
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: SealsWithClubs
Posts: 2,658
Re: Hellmuth vs. Negreanu "High Stakes Duel 2" Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmyrav View Post
If he had simply put phil all in when he had the 64 vs 99 he'd have won. But DNegs had a strategy that included goals beyond winning the match. He wanted to humiliate Phil. He's been at this for years, even when they were analysis 'partners' and DNegs would just go after all of Phil's well known soft spots. Like a 5 year old killing ants on the sidewalk.

DNegs is a lowlife. He lost because he wants to humiliate Phil and he increased the risk continuing the match with Phil short stacked instead of going all in and ending it.

That's a poor poker decision, and it is a huge weakness in his game. If he can't focus on poker and stop trying to play mind games with Phil, he'll continue to get caught up in Phil's white magic and forget what they are there to do.

This happened specifically because Phil manipulates players into engaging his Poker Brat personality. It's a very important part of his game and it works to his advantage. You guys don't include this as part of a poker skill set, but it is as much as being a social butterfly is. Memorizing push fold charts as the 'greatest' today do isn't a skill.
Yes, he could have probably ended on that hand. And he was taunting him as well, sort of like the Red Viper against the Mountain in Game of Thrones. Then it ended up the same as the show.
ScotchOnDaRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:02 PM   #335
kevmode
veteran
 
kevmode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Monterey Bay area
Posts: 3,492
Re: Hellmuth vs. Negreanu "High Stakes Duel 2" Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSumner View Post
Would his tourney results the past decade lead him to suspect it isn't superior?

The number of ways people try to belittle PH's accomplishments is astounding.

If he had the personality of Dan Harrington, no one would do this. People just hate his personality so much they can't accept that he is still the Tourney GOAT
In my post I mentioned that Phil has solid reads and is dangerous player. I wasn't belittling Phi I was mentioning that Phil could incorporate some of the newer age poker strategies into his game while still having his own style. Phil is who he is I don't hate his personality but I am not sure he is the goat of mtts because that is hard to determine. I watched Dan Coleman play and thought he was very good as well. That Fedor guy plays well also.
kevmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 03:25 PM   #336
harkin
Pooh-Bah
 
harkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tahoe
Posts: 3,748
Re: Hellmuth vs. Negreanu "High Stakes Duel 2" Confirmed

I think Phil’s infantile outbursts deserve no place at the poker table and his astonishing need to continually expound on his greatness is low-class as well as a sign of an inferiority complex.

You have to wonder if he had been givin some timeouts (or if the other players had chanted ‘TOOL’ till he shut up) if it would’ve nipped it in the bud.

And I have no idea why I still (usually) root for him.
harkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:22 PM   #337
David Sklansky
Administrator
 
David Sklansky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 15,791
Re: Hellmuth vs. Negreanu "High Stakes Duel 2" Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossilkid93 View Post
The game has passed him by and he desperately wants to believe that the heros from his era are still ahead of the young GTO wizards crushing the games that matter.
GTO was known to be the optimum way to play against tough opponents in the early 1960s. The reasons it was not implemented as much, was that most opponents played badly and the fact that computers couldn't handle the calculations for the first few rounds of multi round games like holdem. Zadeh and Ankeny wrote about GTO draw and lowball and GTO on the river was expounded upon by me. I do think some players fall back on playing GTO a little too much. But in no way do I share an opinion on that subject with the nitwits who you call heroes. To say that I think they are "still ahead" could only be uttered by someone who was taking my previous post literally.
David Sklansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:30 PM   #338
David Sklansky
Administrator
 
David Sklansky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 15,791
Re: Hellmuth vs. Negreanu "High Stakes Duel 2" Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sklansky View Post
It should be noted that an odd aspect of GTO, theoretically speaking, is that if the opponent deviates from it a little bit, the counter strategy will often be to deviate from it a lot. If a pot sized river bluff in situations that indicates either a bluff or the nuts comprises 35% all your opponents river bets rather than the GTO recommendation of 33.3%, the correct counterstrategy is to call 100% rather than the GTO recommendation of 50%, until you think the opponent has caught on. Perhaps it is for such reasons that Phil and Daniel are making plays that are over everyone on this forum's head.
First I was talking about situations where you will always beat a bluff, never beat a non bluff, and those are the the only alternatives. As for 33.3% versus 100% I wasn't including situations where reducing variance adds to your chances of winning a SNG.

Most of you probably realized that I brought out this odd large change in theoretically correct strategy only so I could pretend to espouse a viewpoint that you should all know I don't have.
David Sklansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:40 PM   #339
inmyrav
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,589
Re: Hellmuth vs. Negreanu "High Stakes Duel 2" Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkin View Post
I think Phil’s infantile outbursts deserve no place at the poker table and his astonishing need to continually expound on his greatness is low-class as well as a sign of an inferiority complex.

You have to wonder if he had been givin some timeouts (or if the other players had chanted ‘TOOL’ till he shut up) if it would’ve nipped it in the bud.

And I have no idea why I still (usually) root for him.
I know, right. I love the guy! Can't help it.

Lay off the amateurs.
inmyrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:47 PM   #340
inmyrav
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,589
Re: Hellmuth vs. Negreanu "High Stakes Duel 2" Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchOnDaRocks View Post
Yes, he could have probably ended on that hand. And he was taunting him as well, sort of like the Red Viper against the Mountain in Game of Thrones. Then it ended up the same as the show.
I have to learn concision.
inmyrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:06 PM   #341
parisron
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
parisron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 13,947
Re: Hellmuth vs. Negreanu "High Stakes Duel 2" Confirmed

May 5th rematch. Daniel Negreanu & Phil Hellmuth Recap High Stakes Duel II | No Gamble No Future - Ep. 12

parisron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 01:01 AM   #342
blankoblanco
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
blankoblanco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,399
Re: Hellmuth vs. Negreanu "High Stakes Duel 2" Confirmed

I really don't want to watch all the post-match stuff, but I'm curious if DNegs acknowledged that his play was awful vs. Phil's short stack, or did he attribute all of it to bad luck?
blankoblanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 01:37 AM   #343
garbagetime
centurion
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 104
Re: Hellmuth vs. Negreanu "High Stakes Duel 2" Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankoblanco View Post
I really don't want to watch all the post-match stuff, but I'm curious if DNegs acknowledged that his play was awful vs. Phil's short stack, or did he attribute all of it to bad luck?
Of course he didn't acknowledge his play was awful.
garbagetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:59 PM   #344
Dima2000123
veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,488
Re: Hellmuth vs. Negreanu "High Stakes Duel 2" Confirmed

He did admit that he overdid it on the adjustments for his short stack play against Hellmuth.
Dima2000123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:05 PM   #345
29offutgshove
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 62
Re: Hellmuth vs. Negreanu "High Stakes Duel 2" Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSumner View Post
IF Daniel is indeed a vegan AND works out, he has to eat every 3 hours or so, nothing in the vegan diet will hold you for longer than that.
Where did you get this from??? I am vegan, usually eat breakfast around 7:30am, lunch around 12:00pm, and dinner around 8pm.
29offutgshove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:08 PM   #346
rickroll
oddly catty
 
rickroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: serene, serene, puissant, puissant
Posts: 9,849
Re: Hellmuth vs. Negreanu "High Stakes Duel 2" Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29offutgshove View Post
Where did you get this from??? I am vegan, usually eat breakfast around 7:30am, lunch around 12:00pm, and dinner around 8pm.
RIP you poor soul
rickroll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:50 PM   #347
deuceblocker
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 2,042
Re: Hellmuth vs. Negreanu "High Stakes Duel 2" Confirmed

I guess this business like open shoving with an ace and 5xBB was developed with online SNGs about 20 years ago, and these guys don't know it?
deuceblocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:23 PM   #348
18000rpm
adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,118
Re: Hellmuth vs. Negreanu "High Stakes Duel 2" Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsl82 View Post
Why can't I fast forward?
I'm not gonna watch 6h.
I watch it in web browser, no problem fast forwarding. I also have a video speed controller plugin that allows me to watch it at high speed.
18000rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:52 PM   #349
MicroDonkYT
grinder
 
MicroDonkYT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 507
Re: Hellmuth vs. Negreanu "High Stakes Duel 2" Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notor1ous View Post
People ITT severely overvaluing live tourney results nitpicked to show that he is a successful live tournament player lol. It s not like Federer in Tennis which has confronted himself with the top competition each year for 10+ years. I am rooting for Phil ofc but cmon
There's no nitpicking. PH is the greatest MTT player of all time. It isn't really even close.
MicroDonkYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:04 AM   #350
Ivey #1 Fan
stranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 2
Re: Hellmuth vs. Negreanu "High Stakes Duel 2" Confirmed

Daniel can do this next match. He can and will win.
Ivey #1 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive