Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

News, Views, and Gossip For poker news, views, and gossip

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2018, 11:41 AM   #801
Gzesh
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UTG
Posts: 1,364
Re: Decentralised poker is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by btc View Post
The point remains the same, there was already demand for satellites and poker before the sites got big. Online was just gas on the fire. Please take the beer goggles off and rejoin reality.
You equate offering occasional live satellites in remote B&M casinos, yielding massive fields of (gasp) up to 600+ players for the ME, with the online and demand created among prospective players more than 50 miles from those occasional B&M events .

I maintain the "ever-available", 24/7, online experience and demand for it were something different than a one-off trip to a B&M venue to enter and play in some live event you cite.

Perhaps, you believe that there IS no difference between the two models .... In which case, try shopping at Borders Books, Blockbuster Video, Montgomery Ward or other merchants which ignored a new user/customer demand with their more limited established B&M services.

In any event, spare me the ad hominem argument.
Gzesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:14 PM   #802
btc
centurion
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 146
Re: Decentralised poker is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzesh View Post
You equate offering occasional live satellites in remote B&M casinos, yielding massive fields of (gasp) up to 600+ players for the ME, with the online and demand created among prospective players more than 50 miles from those occasional B&M events .

I maintain the "ever-available", 24/7, online experience and demand for it were something different than a one-off trip to a B&M venue to enter and play in some live event you cite.

Perhaps, you believe that there IS no difference between the two models .... In which case, try shopping at Borders Books, Blockbuster Video, Montgomery Ward or other merchants which ignored a new user/customer demand with their more limited established B&M services.

In any event, spare me the ad hominem argument.
They were occasional because the wsop didn't have a tour and the wpt did not exist yet. 600 was massive at the time in the same context that 10000 was massive at the peak internet boom years. Taking trips to the casino with friends was something people did then before society stopped leaving the house. Folks started playing online because of watching it on TV or seeing a commercial for easy $. That is where the online demand came from.

The b&m model and online model have always been the same because online poker literally copied casino poker brick for brick. Can you name the differences between the two business models? Aside from logistics of managing a room vs a server, it's acquire players and rake them, that's all their is to it. This is not a personal attack, but I dispute your version of events because its clearly lacking context from someone who was also there and your lawyerly posts keep rephrasing the same inaccuracies without acknowledging the point that there was already demand for poker before the sites got big whereas there is no demand for decentralized poker now.

P.S. yes I still buy books from a bookstore and so do many others.

Last edited by btc; 01-08-2018 at 12:20 PM.
btc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:17 PM   #803
PTLou
Jellybean
 
PTLou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,371
Re: Decentralised poker is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by btc View Post

The b&m model and online model have always been the same because online poker literally copied casino poker brick for brick. Can you name the differences between the two business models? Aside from logistics of managing a room vs a server, it's acquire players and rake them, that's all their is to it.
Im confused what any of this has to do with anything being discuss ITT.

also Gzesch is about the least lawerly lawyer I;ve come across on 2+2. Thats a good thing btw.
PTLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:27 PM   #804
Gzesh
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UTG
Posts: 1,364
Re: Decentralised poker is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by btc View Post
.... Folks started playing online because of watching it on TV or seeing a commercial for easy $. That is where the online demand came from.

The b&m model and online model have always been the same because online poker literally copied casino poker brick for brick. Can you name the differences between the two business models? ...

This is not a personal attack, but I dispute your version of events because its clearly lacking context from someone who was also there...

P.S. yes I still buy books from a bookstore and so do many others.
1. Back to chickens and eggs. ....Ain't no business, ain't no show. Who do you think sponsored all those poker television shows and online marketing efforts ? It wasn't Binions*and it wasn't Jack's Links, either..

(*As an aside, one company once ran some television advertisements for the WSOP which were co-branded directly with Binions. That was short-lived.)

2. Funny you talk about online sites' copying the live experience as closely as possible in the context of online poker. I know for certain one site, which offered a 3D-like experience, made you pick your cards up to look at them, and encouraged chat on the table, and directly took that as a design and marketing strategy. Some other sites copied it, then they all abandoned it as multi-tabling demanded a more uniform, uncluttered experience ....

3. I can certainly describe the differences between the online poker business model and the traditional B&M live poker model, but that's too much of a digression from the thread topic and not something you just get for asking. Stick to your comfortably general belief that "that's all there is to it".

4. I don't know whose remarks you think lack context about online poker and WSOP evolution, but I do not recall seeing you "there" back in the day.

Lou is right about the derail, this has little to do with the thread, other than I think there is potential demand for all sorts of decentralized gambling, of which poker can be an element in the future.

Last edited by Gzesh; 01-08-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Gzesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:53 AM   #805
btc
centurion
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 146
Re: Decentralised poker is the future

This topic belongs here: https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/3...prove-1132963/
btc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:37 AM   #806
PTLou
Jellybean
 
PTLou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,371
Re: Decentralised poker is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTLou View Post
interesting post. I think I get it. also algorithm such as you describe has applications in lots of other markets, but lets stick to poker for the test case.

I like the idea of players that haven't yet earned enough reputation paying more rake. Bots would loose some incentive.

But, I dont get how or who sets up and then measures the policies around reputation. Is this done automatically ?
Though sort of annoying, btc is correct that there are much easier ways to address above and all sites do some form of it now.

But thats not important, poker is just a test case. that point btc does not compute.

Edit: but link to that thread was pretty funny.

Last edited by Mike Haven; 01-09-2018 at 03:52 PM.
PTLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:14 PM   #807
1standlastquestion
newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 22
Re: Decentralised poker is the future

So are there any secure new cryptocurrency sites operating already? Been very confused with all the launch dates and so on
1standlastquestion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:57 PM   #808
zvonjimir
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 64
Re: Decentralised poker is the future

As a total IT noob, don't really get all this blockchain madness.
When people say all the players at the online tables will verify each others cards because there is no central server etc. will this process be instantaneous? It's not like dealing cards on each street will last for 10 seconds?

Not trolling and not interested in deep technical explanations, just tell me will it be insta or with delays
zvonjimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:07 PM   #809
Nooseknot
adept
 
Nooseknot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 779
Re: Decentralised poker is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1standlastquestion
So are there any secure new cryptocurrency sites operating already? Been very confused with all the launch dates and so on
Coinpoker is easy to sign up to and has great software. There are still in pre ico and so you can't withdrawal or deposit but there are free rolls going on.

acebusters also has test tables. You use eth and convert it to "nutz". Their software isn't as developed but they are going for a bigger goal

breakout gaming I think is running games too but you need to validate completely and I think go through a payment processor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvonjimir View Post
As a total IT noob, don't really get all this blockchain madness.
When people say all the players at the online tables will verify each others cards because there is no central server etc. will this process be instantaneous? It's not like dealing cards on each street will last for 10 seconds?

Not trolling and not interested in deep technical explanations, just tell me will it be insta or with delays
Yes its instant. You don't have to wait for verification, you can continue to play on and if anyone cheats THEN you call on the blockchain. The blockchain always verifies correctly and you lose your escrow if you don't hand in your "keys".

The game is never expected to call the blockchain since there is no incentive to do so.

It is very much like a lightning transaction. The blockchain has nothing to do with the cards and shuffling/dealing, It is only there to force players to pass in their "keys".

It is the biggest misconception out their in regard to p2p poker
Nooseknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:24 PM   #810
1standlastquestion
newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 22
Re: Decentralised poker is the future

Thank you for the clarification, many of us are not really interested in very technical stuff but still want to participate and have a simple understanding. Im sure your recent explanations will be valuable for me and many more.
1standlastquestion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:38 PM   #811
mrfunnywobbl
grinder
 
mrfunnywobbl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Sentient Ant Colony
Posts: 461
Re: Decentralised poker is the future

Are people here putting alot into the coinpoker ICO or waiting for virtuepoker and others? What makes one blockchain poker better than the next?
mrfunnywobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:31 AM   #812
Gzesh
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UTG
Posts: 1,364
Re: Decentralised poker is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfunnywobbl View Post
Are people here putting alot into the coinpoker ICO or waiting for virtuepoker and others? What makes one blockchain poker better than the next?
Buying coins in an ICO is not a "player" decision as such; it is a wager on a business model or concept

I personally believe (1) that other gambling channels are much more adaptable to a decentralized concept than is poker, and (2) adding decentralized payment processing systems to off-chain operations provides 85% of what 90% of those players who care about crypto will want to see in future business models. FWIW, adding crypto-denominated gaming to exisiting off-chain models will provide another 10%.

If two things are clear from the history of online poker,

1. poker sites which launch later need to compete for business against existing poker sites, this is true across centralized/decentrlaized platforms, the current of which are pretty adept at leveraging their current advantages

2. the player market for online poker demands three things first, liquidity, liquidity and liquidity. I would suggest that payment processing and perceived honesty/anti-collusion are important, but secondary to liquidity.... "there just aren't games/tournaments running when I want to play"

The future will be interesting, and I could be very wrong in my personal beliefs.
Gzesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM   #813
mrfunnywobbl
grinder
 
mrfunnywobbl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Sentient Ant Colony
Posts: 461
Re: Decentralised poker is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzesh View Post
Buying coins in an ICO is not a "player" decision as such; it is a wager on a business model or concept

I personally believe (1) that other gambling channels are much more adaptable to a decentralized concept than is poker, and (2) adding decentralized payment processing systems to off-chain operations provides 85% of what 90% of those players who care about crypto will want to see in future business models. FWIW, adding crypto-denominated gaming to exisiting off-chain models will provide another 10%.

If two things are clear from the history of online poker,

1. poker sites which launch later need to compete for business against existing poker sites, this is true across centralized/decentrlaized platforms, the current of which are pretty adept at leveraging their current advantages

2. the player market for online poker demands three things first, liquidity, liquidity and liquidity. I would suggest that payment processing and perceived honesty/anti-collusion are important, but secondary to liquidity.... "there just aren't games/tournaments running when I want to play"

The future will be interesting, and I could be very wrong in my personal beliefs.
Yes, but since these CHPS can be used for both playing on their site and traded (If I understand their model correctly) buying into the ICO can act as either/or depending on whether you poker with the chips or hodl them. In my case probably both.
mrfunnywobbl is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online