Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

News, Views, and Gossip For poker news, views, and gossip

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2008, 01:29 PM   #176
jmill
Freak you Bobo Fett
 
jmill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Earth, Jupiter, Mars
Posts: 19,715
Re: A critique of poker and poker players

Brit, confirm/deny:

It is possible for a small % of players to play poker for a living, because they have a clear edge on average over their opposition.
jmill is offline  
Old 06-21-2008, 01:30 PM   #177
BartJ385
veteran
 
BartJ385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: you gotta be joking
Posts: 2,668
Re: A critique of poker and poker players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britessential View Post
I can't please all the people all the time. Perhaps if I didn't see People on these forums regularly and cynically flame people for next to nothing 9including myself) then I might change my approach. Yes, my style is direct but sometimes it has to be for people to take note.

I am diplomatic. but im not going to be PC just cus some emo wants me I.P banned for having an opinion.
Well, have it your way. I can only tell you what I experienced. My first OP in this matter was almost like yours. It was moved from Poker Theory to BBV, and I got through to no one. The only people to reply were those kiddos who try desperately to get the "Carpal/'Tunnel" tag by writing "wat" and "ROFL" 100 times a day.

In my second approach I was much more diplomatic, and my thread stayed in Poker Theory and I got several approving replies.
BartJ385 is offline  
Old 06-21-2008, 01:31 PM   #178
spintronics929
newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 22
Re: A critique of poker and poker players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britessential View Post
There aren't as many levels of poker skill as people make out. People always like to use the "ultimate beginner" example to prove that skill is very important in poker but it is just common sense that someone new to something wont know what they are doing. Iam saying there is a big difference between the ultimate beginer and the experienced player but after that, there isn't much that sets anyone apart
You might have a good point here. I think quite a big chunk of differences in skilll levels (if they exist clearly for all levels) can be attributed to the players' bankroll. For example, if I was given 1 million dollars and I had to play heads up with Phil Ivey, I would play sub-optimally because I am playing way beyond my bankroll and fear of losing all of the money will interfere my play. However, if Phil and I were playing with play chips, I would be much more relaxed and play better. The interesting question is, upon assessing players and their skill levels, should their bankrolls be taken into consideration?
spintronics929 is offline  
Old 06-21-2008, 01:47 PM   #179
lucksack
adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 943
Re: A critique of poker and poker players

I love this thread. Keep posting Brit.
lucksack is offline  
Old 06-21-2008, 01:48 PM   #180
romdom
veteran
 
romdom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: MF ancient ruins
Posts: 2,698
Re: A critique of poker and poker players

Quote:
Originally Posted by romdom View Post
too bad u'll never find out for sure

weird because i am a winning player and it is all roses.

if it wasn't inspired by losing then what on earth inspired u?

u don't have time to play but u have all day to engage total strangers in a subject u know very little about?
why not follow all this with IMO, because the ad-hominem isn't cutting it.
Britessential is offline Report Post Reply With Quote


too bad u will never find out for sure, imo

why am i a winning tournament player and you're not a winning anything, imo

If this garbage wasn't inspired by losing, then what was it inspired by? imo?

How come u dont have time to play but u have time to engage strangers on the internet in a subject u know close to nothing about? imo?
romdom is offline  
Old 06-21-2008, 01:53 PM   #181
LysSta
banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 977
Re: A critique of poker and poker players

This thread is bulls.hit CLOSE!
LysSta is offline  
Old 06-21-2008, 02:06 PM   #182
potatoesareawesome
old hand
 
potatoesareawesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,349
Re: A critique of poker and poker players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britessential View Post
and how many more millions go broke, bust, borrow? I doubt you would find them on a google search bragging about it.

Aren't you saying that then there is a winning field? Sure it's small, but that is because this is a skill game, and only few people posses this skill to be able to beat poker long term, while having an edge of the larger field.
potatoesareawesome is offline  
Old 06-21-2008, 02:13 PM   #183
jontsef
veteran
 
jontsef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,065
Re: A critique of poker and poker players

Please post this in P5 I want to read the replies there too.
jontsef is offline  
Old 06-21-2008, 02:14 PM   #184
jxi
grinder
 
jxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: rake is too high
Posts: 501
Re: A critique of poker and poker players

OP, your brain=zero.
jxi is offline  
Old 06-21-2008, 02:18 PM   #185
iplay27off
banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 422
Re: A critique of poker and poker players

I agree with OP for the most part. lol at people getting all upset at op....it's like they are trying to defend their ugly GF or Wife...
iplay27off is offline  
Old 06-21-2008, 02:20 PM   #186
iplay27off
banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 422
Re: A critique of poker and poker players

[QUOTE=PrekiGeo;4745480]Brit,

Why do you think that you have the ability to see through the lies, yet all the other people, some of which are undoubtedly smarter than you, can't?

Is there a possibility that you're wrong because you don't really understand how the game works? Or are you just special, in that you are smarter than the people who have actually thought about this game for years?[/QUOTE]


Oh plz, tell me how pokah works sir!
iplay27off is offline  
Old 06-21-2008, 02:21 PM   #187
jxi
grinder
 
jxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: rake is too high
Posts: 501
Re: A critique of poker and poker players

you can find ppl to illustrate each of his points, but those are at the extreme end of the spectrum. iplay27off, you must be a loser, and for that i thank you.
jxi is offline  
Old 06-21-2008, 02:21 PM   #188
jrf361
newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: rockport
Posts: 21
Re: A critique of poker and poker players

Pilots aren't asked to fly blindfolded.

No, but if you made a contest in which people could wager on their ability to fly blindfolded fastest or farthest or straighest, whatever, people would. And some would be consistently better at it than others.
jrf361 is offline  
Old 06-21-2008, 02:32 PM   #189
iplay27off
banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 422
Re: A critique of poker and poker players

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxi View Post
you can find ppl to illustrate each of his points, but those are at the extreme end of the spectrum. iplay27off, you must be a loser, and for that i thank you.

You think you are a benefactor of my poker money? LOLZ

I don't play online but thanks for the insult. Me thinks you have an ugly GF or Wife and my post struck a nerve.
iplay27off is offline  
Old 06-21-2008, 02:44 PM   #190
jmill
Freak you Bobo Fett
 
jmill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Earth, Jupiter, Mars
Posts: 19,715
Re: A critique of poker and poker players

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplay27off View Post
You think you are a benefactor of my poker money? LOLZ

I don't play online but thanks for the insult. Me thinks you have an ugly GF or Wife and my post struck a nerve.
jmill is offline  
Old 06-21-2008, 03:25 PM   #191
pnycff
veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,600
Re: A critique of poker and poker players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britessential View Post
typical ego-driven response that does not address any point I made in the innitial OP. People like you think that there is SO MUCH to learn about poker--true there is a lot to learn, but to continually evolve as a poker player? No.
this is probably why u suck
pnycff is offline  
Old 06-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #192
2orange
grinder
 
2orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: way ahead
Posts: 612
Re: A critique of poker and poker players

stop trolling imo
2orange is offline  
Old 06-21-2008, 04:20 PM   #193
aa45955
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: A critique of poker and poker players

Everything you said was correct

I don't think you were harsh enough though. I mean, the poker community is home to some world-class idiots and fakers, and you barely mention that

Almost everyone here is totally delusional

Another thing you should've mentioned is that nobody's life has been improved by poker

99% of them are closet losers or win almost nothing, and the 1% that actually win money win that money at a prohibitively steep cost. They give up friends and family and relationships and college and opportunities, and somewhere down the road most of them will probably be pathetic remakes of the Stu Ungar story
 
Old 06-21-2008, 04:41 PM   #194
PoorSkillz
old hand
 
PoorSkillz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Not in prison for life!
Posts: 1,445
Re: A critique of poker and poker players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scansion View Post
I'd be very very surprised if Britessential's entire existence was not a level.
this made me lol
PoorSkillz is offline  
Old 06-21-2008, 04:44 PM   #195
LuckyDevil
Pooh-Bah
 
LuckyDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,511
Re: A critique of poker and poker players

I only read 1-3, but OP, please don't have children.
LuckyDevil is offline  
Old 06-21-2008, 05:23 PM   #196
NeonFlowerPot
newbie
 
NeonFlowerPot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 42
Re: A critique of poker and poker players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britessential View Post
The truth is you are all pretty much as good as eachother but some of you are getting luckier than others (for now).
I always knew I was just as good as Krantz.
NeonFlowerPot is offline  
Old 06-21-2008, 05:33 PM   #197
pnycff
veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,600
Re: A critique of poker and poker players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britessential View Post
No exam, no skillset, no qualifications. The fact that poker pros can turn pro whenever they want is a perfect illustration of the deluded nature of the game and the poker ego at work. Denial springs to mind. I'm gonna go down to wimbledon this summer, try and get a game on the account that I am a pro because my new donnay racket was 120 pounds.
there no exam to open a business either
whats your point
pnycff is offline  
Old 06-21-2008, 05:49 PM   #198
Britessential
banned
 
Britessential's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: it's cold like
Posts: 845
Re: A critique of poker and poker players

Quote:
Originally Posted by yi style View Post
op what are your thoughts on day trading for a living?

also, you should really try to focus on something more positive and productive besides denouncing poker on a ****ing internet poker forum, sick life.
how can you be sure my views on poker will not help anyone or haven't already?
Britessential is offline  
Old 06-21-2008, 05:52 PM   #199
Britessential
banned
 
Britessential's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: it's cold like
Posts: 845
Re: A critique of poker and poker players

Quote:
Originally Posted by romdom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by romdom View Post
too bad u'll never find out for sure

weird because i am a winning player and it is all roses.

if it wasn't inspired by losing then what on earth inspired u?

u don't have time to play but u have all day to engage total strangers in a subject u know very little about?
why not follow all this with IMO, because the ad-hominem isn't cutting it.
Britessential is offline Report Post Reply With Quote


too bad u will never find out for sure, imo

why am i a winning tournament player and you're not a winning anything, imo

If this garbage wasn't inspired by losing, then what was it inspired by? imo?

How come u dont have time to play but u have time to engage strangers on the internet in a subject u know close to nothing about? imo?
its the weekend
Britessential is offline  
Old 06-21-2008, 06:06 PM   #200
bobboufl11
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
bobboufl11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 14,300
Re: A critique of poker and poker players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britessential View Post
how can you be sure my views on poker will not help anyone or haven't already?
Telling people to learn the bare basics isn't helping...though if someone was dumb enough to believe that once you've played for a few months everyone is equal they deserve it.

Please poast a winning graph, I refuse to believe someone who beats poker thinks this way. I used to sort of think this before I came here but there's only so much you can blame on bad luck before you have to take responsibility for the leaks in your game and learn and evolve as a player

I agree almost everyone overestimates themselves, but it's a competitive game, why would you play if you didn't think you could win
bobboufl11 is offline  

Closed Thread
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive