Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

News, Views, and Gossip For poker news, views, and gossip

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2018, 01:09 AM   #26
shoeshinebox
grinder
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 409
Re: Could a Poker Themed Hotel make it in Vegas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
If the Commerce or the Bike could get slots they'd throw out nearly every poker table w/ the next day's trash. There's your answer.

This is the Truth. A Simple,Honest answer. Realist. , The same as Canterbury Park in MN. If they could of got Slots at the track,Poker would've been Gonnneeee...Then they tried and failed, The Mystic Casino group bought them out. Commerce and Bike would be Slots and Pit games. Only. Every Dam* Sq. FT. T.y. and gd nt.
shoeshinebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:23 AM   #27
illdonk
veteran
 
illdonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,507
Re: Could a Poker Themed Hotel make it in Vegas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well Read Ted View Post
For you to be so anti-poker themed hotel it seems like there might be a possibility that you feel such a project might hurt you somehow financially (e.g. you might run a poker room, or be associated with a big poker room, etc.)
Or they might have just thought about the idea for 15 seconds.

Last edited by illdonk; 02-23-2018 at 02:24 AM. Reason: 30 seconds seemed too long.
illdonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:41 AM   #28
RalphWaldoEmerson
Pooh-Bah
 
RalphWaldoEmerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: the ocean
Posts: 4,797
Re: Could a Poker Themed Hotel make it in Vegas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
Free donuts at 5 a.m. would be a nice touch.
RalphWaldoEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:35 AM   #29
Bobo Fett
2+2 Ad Man
 
Bobo Fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canada, eh!
Posts: 46,562
Re: Could a Poker Themed Hotel make it in Vegas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well Read Ted View Post
For you to be so anti-poker themed hotel it seems like there might be a possibility that you feel such a project might hurt you somehow financially (e.g. you might run a poker room, or be associated with a big poker room, etc.)

If this is not the case, why should it be any skin off your nose that someone tries such a project.
LOL, what a ridiculous post.

Would you like me to change your thread title to something more suitable, like "I think there should be a poker-themed hotel, and if you don't agree it's a good idea it must be because it will hurt you financially"?

Advanced posting tip: Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to.
Bobo Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:44 AM   #30
PeteBlow
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Guildford, UK
Posts: 7,200
Re: Could a Poker Themed Hotel make it in Vegas?

At 55 past every hour, everything could pause. The slots freeze, the table games close down, everyone dashes for the bathrooms...
PeteBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:00 AM   #31
Well Read Ted
grinder
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 524
Re: Could a Poker Themed Hotel make it in Vegas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo Fett View Post
LOL, what a ridiculous post.

Would you like me to change your thread title to something more suitable, like "I think there should be a poker-themed hotel, and if you don't agree it's a good idea it must be because it will hurt you financially"?

Advanced posting tip: Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to.
Somewhat of a strawman argument because I said it "might be" and not it "must be".

I just find it hard to see why someone who says they love poker would be so adament that a poker themed hotel makes zero financial sense. Do you deny that there might be some people in the Vegas casino industry and poker room industry who might not like a poker themed hotel coming along?
Well Read Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:16 AM   #32
Bobo Fett
2+2 Ad Man
 
Bobo Fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canada, eh!
Posts: 46,562
Re: Could a Poker Themed Hotel make it in Vegas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well Read Ted View Post
Somewhat of a strawman argument because I said it "might be" and not it "must be".
No, it's really not, because my point doesn't change if I correct my sentence to:

Quote:
Would you like me to change your thread title to something more suitable, like "I think there should be a poker-themed hotel, and if you don't agree it's a good idea it might be because it will hurt you financially"?
But I apologize for the error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well Read Ted View Post
I just find it hard to see why someone who says they love poker would be so adament that a poker themed hotel makes zero financial sense.
Why can someone who loves poker not make the very valid argument that a poker-themed hotel doesn't make financial sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well Read Ted View Post
Do you deny that there might be some people in the Vegas casino industry and poker room industry who might not like a poker themed hotel coming along?
No idea. Who cares?

Seems like you're more interested in discrediting the poster than debating the points he made.
Bobo Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:37 AM   #33
Sir Huntington
adept
 
Sir Huntington's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 778
Re: Could a Poker Themed Hotel make it in Vegas?

I actually kind of like a hotel you can go to and just gambling it up with other hotel guests and get your grind on. My biggest problem is you put this hotel in Vegas. I'd much rather it be in the middle of nowhere like Foxwoods (I think) is where it's surrounded by a beautiful atmosphere and I'd probably be able to find a place to discgolf to get away from the ****ty gambling/tourist atmosphere.


I have no clue where it would be a good option tho other then a vegas style tourist trap.
Sir Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:11 AM   #34
Well Read Ted
grinder
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 524
Re: Could a Poker Themed Hotel make it in Vegas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo Fett View Post
...Why can someone who loves poker not make the very valid argument that a poker-themed hotel doesn't make financial sense?...
Basically his argument is it's hard to get a gaming license and why go through all that to just have poker and not other games too. And poker doesn't make as much money as the other games and slots.

Well that might be true if you're just another poker room. But if you really concentrate only on poker and forget the other games, you might really be able to create something special. Things like:

-the most competitive rake in town.
-Some tables with a no tipping policy or having no tipping days.
-Liberal food comps.
-Having at least one Poker celeb being on site (as a host) each night.

There's all kinds of things you could do to be the best place in town to play. Once word got around, it might become the #1 room in town and thus attract more people to the hotel. I think if poker is ever to grow, these are the kinds of things that need to happen.
Well Read Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:00 AM   #35
PTLou
Jellybean
 
PTLou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,529
Re: Could a Poker Themed Hotel make it in Vegas?

Isnt this thread just the Live players version of Phil Galfond Gonna start an Online Site Thread?

OP's idea is great, well except for this harsh reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
If the Commerce or the Bike could get slots they'd throw out nearly every poker table w/ the next day's trash. There's your answer.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Well Read Ted View Post
-the most competitive rake in town.
-Some tables with a no tipping policy or having no tipping days.
-Liberal food comps.
-Having at least one Poker celeb being on site (as a host) each night.
So take the least profitable sq. footage on the floor and make it even less profitable by decreasing revenue and increasing expenses? Reminds me of sales joke "lose money on every deal but make it up in volume".

Ted, Ted, use your head.
PTLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:13 AM   #36
falldown
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,927
Re: Could a Poker Themed Hotel make it in Vegas?

So take the least profitable game a casino runs (per SF), make it less profitable with lower rake, higher salaries to dealers, more giveaways and shut down all other forms of gaming revenue = profit?
falldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:20 AM   #37
robert_utk
veteran
 
robert_utk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ValueTown
Posts: 2,164
Re: Could a Poker Themed Hotel make it in Vegas?

I would not go to Vegas to play poker in a hotel, even for zero rake.
robert_utk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:27 AM   #38
ATrainBoston
journeyman
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 270
Re: Could a Poker Themed Hotel make it in Vegas?

I'm thinking a craps themed hotel, maybe like "Just Craps" or "World of Craps". Nothing but rows and rows of craps tables; also, lots of really good toilets.
ATrainBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:13 AM   #39
H0RUS
Pooh-Bah
 
H0RUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: BBV blasters club
Posts: 4,235
Re: Could a Poker Themed Hotel make it in Vegas?

If it has royal flush girls im there
H0RUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:33 AM   #40
Kelvis
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,972
Re: Could a Poker Themed Hotel make it in Vegas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well Read Ted View Post
For you to be so anti-poker themed hotel it seems like there might be a possibility that you feel such a project might hurt you somehow financially (e.g. you might run a poker room, or be associated with a big poker room, etc.)

If this is not the case, why should it be any skin off your nose that someone tries such a project.
Yes, he is running a poker room and he is worried that you are going to buy this hotel and turn it into the biggest poker hotel in Vegas and he will lose business.

.....
Kelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:34 AM   #41
illdonk
veteran
 
illdonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,507
Re: Could a Poker Themed Hotel make it in Vegas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well Read Ted View Post
And poker doesn't make as much money as the other games and slots. Well that might be true if you're just another poker room. But if you really concentrate only on poker and forget the other games, you might really be able to create something special. Things like:

-the most competitive rake in town.
-Some tables with a no tipping policy or having no tipping days.
-Liberal food comps.
-Having at least one Poker celeb being on site (as a host) each night.
You don't seem to understand how money and revenue works.

Anyway, you could throw in free rooms and I still wouldn't fly to Vegas to stay in a low/mid-level hotel in a bad location (as it would need to be), where the differentiating factor is the lack of anything to do other than play poker and I guess meet Jean-Robert Bellande and look at photos of Sailor Roberts.

Not to mention that there's nothing on this list that another casino couldn't do.

Anyway, gotta run. The MGM Resorts board meeting is starting in 20 min---wait. I mean, I have to drive the kids to school. That's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrainBoston View Post
I'm thinking a craps themed hotel, maybe like "Just Craps" or "World of Craps". Nothing but rows and rows of craps tables; also, lots of really good toilets.
I laughed.

Last edited by illdonk; 02-23-2018 at 11:40 AM.
illdonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:57 AM   #42
madlex
Custom User Title
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,452
Re: Could a Poker Themed Hotel make it in Vegas?

You’re presenting your idea to your target audience. That’s always a good thing to do.

But if said target audience rejects your idea that decidedly, you might want to consider if your idea just isn’t feasible instead of getting that argumentative about it.
madlex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:06 PM   #43
Gzesh
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UTG
Posts: 1,769
Re: Could a Poker Themed Hotel make it in Vegas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbury Twist View Post
Hahaha yeah, I can't disagree with that.

However, my point is this: if a poker-centric venue was a viable idea, someone in Vegas would have done it by now, and it most likely would have happened sometime around 2005 or so. A casino would have discovered poker to be so profitable that it would be worth replacing table games and machines with more tables, step by step, until we reached something resembling the OP's vision.

I suppose the closest we've come is the WSOP, during which the Rio turns its entire convention center into a poker-only behemoth. So maybe for a few months every year, it DOES happen.
Very good point, Wilbury.

OP, please notice that the Rio does not keep its poker motif year round, re-purposing the convention facility to other uses ... so the answer appears to be "part of the year".

Time to close the thread ...
Gzesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:11 PM   #44
magking1
grinder
 
magking1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 673
Re: Could a Poker Themed Hotel make it in Vegas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well Read Ted View Post
Basically his argument is it's hard to get a gaming license and why go through all that to just have poker and not other games too. And poker doesn't make as much money as the other games and slots.

Well that might be true if you're just another poker room. But if you really concentrate only on poker and forget the other games, you might really be able to create something special. Things like:

-the most competitive rake in town.
-Some tables with a no tipping policy or having no tipping days.
-Liberal food comps.
-Having at least one Poker celeb being on site (as a host) each night.

There's all kinds of things you could do to be the best place in town to play. Once word got around, it might become the #1 room in town and thus attract more people to the hotel. I think if poker is ever to grow, these are the kinds of things that need to happen.
Nah
magking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:24 PM   #45
borg23
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7,589
Re: Could a Poker Themed Hotel make it in Vegas?

This is the worst idea I've heard since the jump to conclusions mat in office space
borg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:37 PM   #46
illdonk
veteran
 
illdonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,507
Re: Could a Poker Themed Hotel make it in Vegas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzesh View Post
OP, please notice that the Rio does not keep its poker motif year round, re-purposing the convention facility to other uses ... so the answer appears to be "part of the year".
Minneapolis did strong business a few weeks back with their football-themed events and motif as well. Other cities might find it more difficult.
illdonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:29 PM   #47
Well Read Ted
grinder
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 524
Re: Could a Poker Themed Hotel make it in Vegas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by illdonk View Post
You don't seem to understand how money and revenue works...
Some probably said that about Benny Binion when he had $2 steak dinners and raised the craps odds to 10x's the odds.

Quote:
...Anyway, you could throw in free rooms and I still wouldn't fly to Vegas to stay in a low/mid-level hotel in a bad location (as it would need to be), where the differentiating factor is the lack of anything to do other than play poker and I guess meet Jean-Robert Bellande and look at photos of Sailor Roberts...
Yeah but a lot of middle income players, serious players, and locals, might if they got to meet Jennifer Harman one night, Tom Dwan the next, and the photos on the walls were of Phil Ivey.
Well Read Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:04 PM   #48
borg23
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7,589
Re: Could a Poker Themed Hotel make it in Vegas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well Read Ted View Post
Some probably said that about Benny Binion when he had $2 steak dinners and raised the craps odds to 10x's the odds.

Yeah but a lot of middle income players, serious players, and locals, might if they got to meet Jennifer Harman one night, Tom Dwan the next, and the photos on the walls were of Phil Ivey.
1)we don't know whether or not people told binion his ideas were terrible but either way you can literally say that about any idea ever "well people told binion his ideas were terrible therefore (insert horrible idea) is a good idea also. it's completely illogical.

2)no literally nobody cares about meeting jennifer harmon or other pros. this would have been a bad idea in 2005 and in 2018 it's a horrendous idea.

People on this site actually play poker and are telling you it's beyond a god awful idea and it will do nothing to bring in people who aren't poker players.

This is a worse idea than the "strike" on poker stars.
borg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:33 PM   #49
Well Read Ted
grinder
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 524
Re: Could a Poker Themed Hotel make it in Vegas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well Read Ted View Post
They have a pirate themed hotel, a Middle Ages/Castle themed hotel, why not a Poker themed hotel. A nine story China themed hotel that is less than 2 years old is being auctioned today in Las Vegas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SF7D-R0Z2o

It might be too late for some rich poker enthusiast to buy that one but there could always be one up for sale down the road...
Looks like it's not too late. Here is what Wiki (Lucky Dragon)says about it:

"During a bankruptcy hearing on February 21, 2018, a judge ruled that there would not be a foreclosure auction of the resort, and that the hotel would remain open until March 27, 2018, when another bankruptcy hearing will be held."
______

Also here is some footage of the inside of the casino (start at 2:25)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5T4sxMEQB4&t=214s

So tell all your billionaire friends there is still time to give the poker community their own hotel.
Well Read Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:40 PM   #50
95 LT1
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 72
Re: Could a Poker Themed Hotel make it in Vegas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well Read Ted View Post
Some probably said that about Benny Binion when he had $2 steak dinners and raised the craps odds to 10x's the odds.

Yeah but a lot of middle income players, serious players, and locals, might if they got to meet Jennifer Harman one night, Tom Dwan the next, and the photos on the walls were of Phil Ivey.
I get your love of poker and even that it clouds reasonable judgement. You could have some what of an argument, even if it's a terrible idea, by saying you never know till you try it. However, people have pointed out that the Rio essentially does what your describing every year. Putting your blind faith in the this idea to the side and just using normally intelligence. Why do you think the Rio only does this for less than a month every year instead of all year?
95 LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ę 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online