Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

News, Views, and Gossip For poker news, views, and gossip

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2015, 07:02 PM   #51
madlondoner
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,538
Re: Bluff magazine to cease publication in February. Subscribers will be refunded

I guess it's because with the online poker market falling, they just aren't getting much advertising anymore. As said it's nearly always free.
madlondoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:03 PM   #52
ArtyMcFly
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
ArtyMcFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Enchantment Under the Sea
Posts: 8,614
Re: Bluff magazine to cease publication in February. Subscribers will be refunded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Malmuth View Post
In our 2+2 books, we're conscious of using a print size that puts a lot of information on a page but which is still fairly easy to read.
If 2+2 ever publishes another book, hero's holecards will be spread over two pages and the footnotes will extend all the way to the moon. I hope.
ArtyMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:16 PM   #53
Transcendence
grinder
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Legend Shall Rise Soon...
Posts: 527
Spade Re: Bluff magazine to cease publication in February. Subscribers will be refunded

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorcher1 View Post
actually I love reading print magazines. I do read books on kindle...but there is just something about holding magazine..turning the pages...saving a special issue. oh well...guess we're a dying breed
Absolutely mate! Saving a special issue was the best. I would even make sure to keep it in excellent condition with no tears or folds. Nothing like saving a special issue. Gna miss magazines..
Transcendence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:04 AM   #54
agoo758
journeyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hmm
Posts: 249
Re: Bluff magazine to cease publication in February. Subscribers will be refunded

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStuntman View Post
o/u that any print books/magazines/newspapers will still be in existence by 2030.
I don't think you know how an over/under bet works
agoo758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:11 AM   #55
agoo758
journeyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hmm
Posts: 249
Re: Bluff magazine to cease publication in February. Subscribers will be refunded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Malmuth View Post
Hi Everyone;

I was in The Bellagio a little earlier and picked up three different magazines, one of which was (probably the last printed issue) of Bluff. And there was one thing I immediately noticed which as a publisher is something which I would immediately pick up on but most other people wouldn't think was important, and it's the fact that extremely small print is used throughout Bluff.

In our 2+2 books, we're conscious of using a print size that puts a lot of information on a page but which is still fairly easy to read. But I can't help but think that the print size which Bluff was using made much of the magazine unreadable for some people, and the print size in both the other poker magazines scanned was substantially larger.

So this may actually have something to do with the end of Bluff as a printed magazine. Of course, this is just speculation and could be way off base. But if I was the Bluff magazine publisher, larger print would have been used even if it meant that less material was put inside a fixed number of pages.

Best wishes,
Mason
The magazine industry has been in decline for several years now due to technological advances. bluff is one of many magazines that have discontinued/are planning to discontinue hard copies.

a major figurehead at two plus two is apparently completely unaware of this, and instead cites small print as the likely cause.

I don't think two plus two it's going to be around much longer. Lol
agoo758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:25 PM   #56
doublejoker
Old News
 
doublejoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9,879
Re: Bluff magazine to cease publication in February. Subscribers will be refunded

The current cardplayer magazine is very thin compared to prior issues.

With the demise of bluff, what other print poker magazines are still printed?
doublejoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:49 PM   #57
Dagrims
journeyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 366
Re: Bluff magazine to cease publication in February. Subscribers will be refunded

All-In and Ante Up both show up in my local poker room.
Dagrims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:29 PM   #58
WateryBoil
Pooh-Bah
 
WateryBoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: And mine are long and sharp my Lord
Posts: 4,539
Re: Bluff magazine to cease publication in February. Subscribers will be refunded

lol i dont think ive read a book or magazine in 10+ years


just feels so old

rip bluff, i did not know ye.
WateryBoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:12 PM   #59
Gabethebabe
Malware Jedi
 
Gabethebabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In front of my monitor
Posts: 22,323
Re: Bluff magazine to cease publication in February. Subscribers will be refunded

Dunno why you would cease a magazine. You can pull a Charlie and business will be booming
Gabethebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:45 PM   #60
synth_floyd
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,509
Re: Bluff magazine to cease publication in February. Subscribers will be refunded

So now what will I skim through for 5 minutes while waiting for a table when I go to a poker room?
synth_floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:20 PM   #61
Wilbury Twist
Pooh-Bah
 
Wilbury Twist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: 4977 miles from Kells
Posts: 4,356
Re: Bluff magazine to cease publication in February. Subscribers will be refunded

The small print in Bluff and the reduced contrast of running type over a color photo are both pretty annoying practices, and one of the characteristics I sure as hell did not miss when I switched to the app version of the magazine. (Note: I read while doing cardio stuff at the gym so small typeface does matter if I'm moving).

But to cite it as a reason why Bluff is ending its print version? Just no. Or better yet, if it's a factor, it's a very tiny, almost insignificant one.

Mason, I suppose you could test it. Gather a sample of publications with similar typefaces and/or page layout styles to Bluff. If their sales/subscription drop-off has been much sharper than those publications with larger typefaces or with mostly black-on-white print, then you might have something. However, I suspect you'll find that the decline in print media has been steady across the board. Cosmetic switches from Times to Caslon or Utopia have not rescued newspapers.
Wilbury Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:16 PM   #62
Mason Malmuth
Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 10,555
Re: Bluff magazine to cease publication in February. Subscribers will be refunded

Quote:
Originally Posted by agoo758 View Post
The magazine industry has been in decline for several years now due to technological advances. bluff is one of many magazines that have discontinued/are planning to discontinue hard copies.

a major figurehead at two plus two is apparently completely unaware of this, and instead cites small print as the likely cause.

I don't think two plus two it's going to be around much longer. Lol
You're right. I have very little understanding as to what is happening in the industry I participate in.

When an entity like Bluff Magazine ceases publication, it's usually for a number of reasons, and the general pressure on printed magazines due to technological advances is certainly one of them. But when I see something like print that is too small, it makes me think that there were probably a number of mistakes that were made which contributed to the cessation of printing, some which may be internal to the organization that I would have no knowledge of.

Mason
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:25 PM   #63
Mason Malmuth
Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 10,555
Re: Bluff magazine to cease publication in February. Subscribers will be refunded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbury Twist View Post
The small print in Bluff and the reduced contrast of running type over a color photo are both pretty annoying practices, and one of the characteristics I sure as hell did not miss when I switched to the app version of the magazine. (Note: I read while doing cardio stuff at the gym so small typeface does matter if I'm moving).

But to cite it as a reason why Bluff is ending its print version? Just no. Or better yet, if it's a factor, it's a very tiny, almost insignificant one.
As my other post implies, using font size that is so small it's difficult to read implies to me that there may be other mistakes made as well in addition to the general negative pressure on printed magazines. Frequently these mistakes are caused by financial pressure, and in this case it just might be that going to smaller print allowed Bluff to produce a magazine with less pages but the same amount of content, and thus saving money on their print cost.

But it is an indication, at least it is to me, that there were issues leading to the cessation of their print magazine and that these issues may not have been addressed correctly. However, I have no inside information on Bluff and my comments are speculative in nature and certainly don't necessarily reflect what was really going on.

Quote:
Mason, I suppose you could test it. Gather a sample of publications with similar typefaces and/or page layout styles to Bluff. If their sales/subscription drop-off has been much sharper than those publications with larger typefaces or with mostly black-on-white print, then you might have something. However, I suspect you'll find that the decline in print media has been steady across the board. Cosmetic switches from Times to Caslon or Utopia have not rescued newspapers.
There's lots of things I could do which never happen, and this would be one of them. But advertisers for magazines tend to want their ads to go in magazines that actually get read, and if the print is too small to read and an advertiser realizes this, they may take their advertising someplace else. So while I can't say for sure, it's my opinion that going to print which is too small may be a more significant error than some of you might think.

Mason
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:58 PM   #64
venice10
Referee
 
venice10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nowhere special
Posts: 22,576
Re: Bluff magazine to cease publication in February. Subscribers will be refunded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Malmuth View Post
if the print is too small to read and an advertiser realizes this, they may take their advertising someplace else. So while I can't say for sure, it's my opinion that going to print which is too small may be a more significant error than some of you might think.

Mason
I think it is much more likely that the cause of the small type is the lack of advertisers, rather than the small type causing a exodus of advertisers. It doesn't mean that it wasn't an error, just that using a larger type wasn't going to save "Bluff." Going smaller may have gained them a couple of extra issues but the end result was going to be the same no matter what.

Without going to a "Huffington Post" or "2+2" model where people provide content for free, it seems that going to an online model is just one more stop gap to avoid facing the reality that narrow based content providers need their consumers to fund operations to survive.
venice10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:28 AM   #65
Sol Rosenberg
journeyman
 
Sol Rosenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 311
Re: Bluff magazine to cease publication in February. Subscribers will be refunded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Malmuth View Post

In our 2+2 books, we're conscious of using a print size that puts a lot of information on a page but which is still fairly easy to read.
Mason:

I own a half-dozen 2+2 books, and the type is indeed easy to read. However, the graphic design is awful. I stopped buying them because they are so ugly.

The content is almost always outstanding. But after a while, the nonstop Times New Roman with amateurish line and paragraph spacing, the lack of font variation (at least mix it up with sans-serif headers, for God's sake), and the hideous diagrams make me want to poke out my eyes with knitting needles.

There are two or three of your newer books I would have already bought if I didn't know they'd hurt to look at. Jeff Hwang's first PLO book is similar in overall format, but the design is (subtly) much better than any 2+2 book, IMO.

You are correct about font size, though. Graphic designers need to understand type is on the page to to convey information, not just to look pretty as a design element. Readability trumps all.

You are still in business because your content is excellent. Bluff's content and design were both mediocre at best.

All that said, thank you for the most entertaining site with the best group of users on the interwebs.
Sol Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:50 AM   #66
baudib1
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
baudib1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: dude,bro
Posts: 20,762
Re: Bluff magazine to cease publication in February. Subscribers will be refunded

Clear sign that I am now part of the older, obsolete generation is that I still love reading magazines. I love reading Esquire and GQ and even SI on occasion. Don't get the same thrill reading them on tablet.
baudib1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:25 AM   #67
Sol Rosenberg
journeyman
 
Sol Rosenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 311
Re: Bluff magazine to cease publication in February. Subscribers will be refunded

Quote:
Originally Posted by baudib1 View Post
Clear sign that I am now part of the older, obsolete generation is that I still love reading magazines. I love reading Esquire and GQ and even SI on occasion. Don't get the same thrill reading them on tablet.
I am getting old too. My friends put their Yankees and UCONN special national champeen SI editions on display. They are under the glass surface of his coffee table. You can't do that with RSS feeds.
Sol Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:30 AM   #68
Wilbury Twist
Pooh-Bah
 
Wilbury Twist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: 4977 miles from Kells
Posts: 4,356
Re: Bluff magazine to cease publication in February. Subscribers will be refunded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Malmuth View Post
As my other post implies, using font size that is so small it's difficult to read implies to me that there may be other mistakes made as well in addition to the general negative pressure on printed magazines. Frequently these mistakes are caused by financial pressure, and in this case it just might be that going to smaller print allowed Bluff to produce a magazine with less pages but the same amount of content, and thus saving money on their print cost.

But it is an indication, at least it is to me, that there were issues leading to the cessation of their print magazine and that these issues may not have been addressed correctly. However, I have no inside information on Bluff and my comments are speculative in nature and certainly don't necessarily reflect what was really going on.
If this is true — and it very well could be because it makes sense — then the small typeface is a symptom, not a reason.
Wilbury Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:11 AM   #69
plaaynde
Poker Historian
 
plaaynde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Local Group
Posts: 16,645
Re: Bluff magazine to cease publication in February. Subscribers will be refunded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbury Twist View Post
If this is true — and it very well could be because it makes sense — then the small typeface is a symptom, not a reason.
It can be both. Mason realizing it may be one of the secrets for him being a successful publisher. In the end it may much be about really realizing that 2+2=4.

Btw, Mason: not one page has disintegrated from any of my poker books from 2+2, no matter how I've treated it. That must also be an indication of taking realities into account, helping being successful.

Last edited by plaaynde; 01-24-2015 at 09:20 AM.
plaaynde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:58 PM   #70
SuperDuperTilt
journeyman
 
SuperDuperTilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Chelsea MA
Posts: 338
Re: Bluff magazine to cease publication in February. Subscribers will be refunded

Publishing, is folding.
SuperDuperTilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:01 PM   #71
NickMPK
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9,618
Re: Bluff magazine to cease publication in February. Subscribers will be refunded

I never had a problem with the small type, but Bluff did several things that made their content difficult to read, like running text over dark backgrounds, strangely patterned backgrounds, or pictures where the contrast was not very high.

Given than most people reading print magazines are going to be older people who may have trouble with this sort of thing, I can certisnly see it being a factor in their declining popularity relative to other poker magazines.
NickMPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:49 PM   #72
plaaynde
Poker Historian
 
plaaynde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Local Group
Posts: 16,645
Re: Bluff magazine to cease publication in February. Subscribers will be refunded

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMPK View Post
Given than most people reading print magazines are going to be older people who may have trouble with this sort of thing, I can certisnly see it being a factor in their declining popularity relative to other poker magazines.
All printed magazines must suffer due to IT. But some suffer more. Bluff was the one to go. That may at least temporaily strengthen some of the survivors.

Btw, didn't like the name "Bluff" to begin with. Maybe the suboptimal name of the magazine got to it. I mean partly, so nobody says I'm thinking it just was the name that brought the magazine down.

Last edited by plaaynde; 01-24-2015 at 02:57 PM.
plaaynde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:27 PM   #73
nit3.runn3r
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
nit3.runn3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: I Have Jungle Fever, Wisconsin
Posts: 8,294
Re: Bluff magazine to cease publication in February. Subscribers will be refunded

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsmith22 View Post
no
Lol. Perfect.
nit3.runn3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:44 PM   #74
ESKiMO-SiCKNE5S
What SN is this?
 
ESKiMO-SiCKNE5S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: RoMAN EmpIre ЯR ЯR
Posts: 29,040
Re: Bluff magazine to cease publication in February. Subscribers will be refunded

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStuntman View Post
o/u that any print books/magazines/newspapers will still be in existence by 2030.
Basically 100%, even if they are mostly just for collectors and hipsters.

LPs and radios are still going strong. Books will be around for at least a hundred years in some form imo.
ESKiMO-SiCKNE5S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:17 PM   #75
Wilbury Twist
Pooh-Bah
 
Wilbury Twist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: 4977 miles from Kells
Posts: 4,356
Re: Bluff magazine to cease publication in February. Subscribers will be refunded

Thumbing through an issue I have on my desk right now. Forget the typeface or the monthly writeup from Jennifer Tilly, it's the overuse of stock photos that did this thing under.

Wilbury Twist is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online