Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

News, Views, and Gossip For poker news, views, and gossip

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
GovGaryJohnson
Gary Johnson For President
 
GovGaryJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Taos, New Mexico
Posts: 8
Answering Some of Your Questions

Hello 2+2,

First, I'd just like to say that I'm very grateful for all the interest and support I have received from the poker community. From the bottom of my heart, thank you!

The campaign trail has been very busy. I'm in our newly-opened New Hampshire campaign headquarters this morning, kicking back after three full days of campaigning in the Granite State. This afternoon I'll be flying to New York for a number of media appearances Monday and Tuesday, and then I'll be visiting Washington, DC, and Iowa before returning to New Mexico for a couple days of rest. After that I'll be right back in New Hampshire again!

I have written answers to a few of the questions asked in the 40+ page thread about my campaign, and (with Matt's help) I'm preparing to post those answers to kick off this discussion thread.

Whether you agree with all of my positions or not, I really appreciate you all for being active citizens -- for taking time to consider and discuss the important issues facing our country.

Gary Johnson
GovGaryJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
WAtR
veteran
 
WAtR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 2,387
Re: Answering Some of Your Questions

Well you have my support, even though I can't vote! All the best...
WAtR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
GovGaryJohnson
Gary Johnson For President
 
GovGaryJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Taos, New Mexico
Posts: 8
Re: Answering Some of Your Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro Rec Player View Post
I thought Barrack Obama was pro poker.

Meaning that although a 'pro-poker' president has to be better than an 'anti-poker' president, isn't it true that on the issue of poker the United States President's opinion is of only limited relevance?
The Justice Department is an executive branch agency that answers to the President. The sudden decision to begin enforcing UIGEA earlier this year was a decision that did not have to be made and should not have been made. There are literally thousands of federal crimes now (only three are listed in the U.S. Constitution), so itís clear not all of them can be enforced. The Justice Department must choose which laws to prioritize, and for as long as UIGEA remains on the books, I believe it should be at the bottom of the Justice Departmentís list with a priority of zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpain View Post
Is his plan to bring government regulation to online poker or to find some way around the UIGEA and declare it unconstitutional or something like that?
As President I would support legislation to repeal UIGEA and correct the problem at its core. I would prefer for there to be no federal laws interfering with online gaming, which is obviously a passion for millions of Americans. If there is to be government regulation of online gaming sites based in the U.S., I would prefer for that to be done at the state level rather than at the federal level. The best way to go about legalizing online poker and other forms of online gaming is, of course, an open discussion, and I welcome that discussion going forward.
GovGaryJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:27 PM   #4
GovGaryJohnson
Gary Johnson For President
 
GovGaryJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Taos, New Mexico
Posts: 8
Re: Answering Some of Your Questions

Quote:
Even more nonsense about the federal debt. He clearly does not understand how the monetary system in the US works.

One question to him: How can a sovereign issuer of money, with no foreign denominated debt, with a floating exchange rate run out of money/risk default?

Answer: It can't (unless it chooses to). The main thing to worry about is inflation. But I haven't seen one Republican make a convincing argument that inflation is going to be a problem in the short/medium term.

This whole budget hysteria is going to hurt the US economy dearly. Can't support any person who will hurt economic growth based on misconceptions.
I would argue that the writing is on the wall with regard to inflation. We are now borrowing and printing 43 cents out of dollar that we spend as a country. There is no way we can possibly repay 14 trillion dollars in debt when our ongoing deficits are 1.6 trillion dollars a year.

Because of this reality, we already see a reduced appetite for U.S. debt. Do you realize that the Federal Reserve is currently printing money and buying up to 70% of U.S. treasuries? This is what economists call ďmonetizing the debt,Ē simply printing more money to cover shortfalls, and itís an obvious recipe for serious inflation.

When government simply increases the amount of money it prints, thatís more money chasing the same amount of goods and services. Doesnít it have to result in higher prices? Of course it does, and all Americans suffer. Also consider the fact that over half of our currency is overseas -- if the dollar stops being used as a worldís reserve currency, those dollars will come back to America, and massive price inflation will be the result.

As for economic growth, I believe my 8 year term as governor suggests that I do understand what conditions are necessary for economic growth. One proposal I really like is the Fair Tax, which I believe would blow the lid off of jobs in the U.S. -- learn more at FairTax.org.
GovGaryJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
GovGaryJohnson
Gary Johnson For President
 
GovGaryJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Taos, New Mexico
Posts: 8
Re: Answering Some of Your Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahunterpa View Post
Welcome to the forums Governor Johnson. After a quick look at some of your positions you're the kind of guy that would get my vote,esp because of your position on poker.

My vote hinges on your answer to 2 questions and if you answer them correctly you have my vote.

Question 1: Do you believe that John Quincy Adams was a founding father.

Question 2: Do you know the difference between John Wayne (the actor) and John Wayne Gacy (the serial killer)

As these could be difficult questions to answer and may require deep thought and analysis please feel free to consult your political advisors and take as much time as you need.
Ok, this is a fun pair of questions! Iíll do my best.

(1) No -- I believe his father, John Adams, would be considered a founding father of the U.S. but not John Quincy.

(2) I believe I do!!!
GovGaryJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
GovGaryJohnson
Gary Johnson For President
 
GovGaryJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Taos, New Mexico
Posts: 8
Re: Answering Some of Your Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by NameOnTheCake View Post
I've never before volunteered for any campaign, nor have I ever voted Republican in the general, but I've already signed up to make calls for this guy. I think it's my perspective as a disenchanted Democrat voter that makes me so excited about this guy - and there are a ton of us.
Thank you very much for your offer to volunteer! If this campaign is to achieve its ambitious goals, we will need to develop a strong base of volunteers across the country.

If others would like to sign up to volunteer, here is the web form for doing that: http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/volunteer

Thanks again to Mason, everybody at 2+2, and all of you on the forums for your well-placed concerns regarding the future of this country. I hope to be seeing many of you soon on the campaign trail!
GovGaryJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
Rhubarbwp
journeyman
 
Rhubarbwp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 243
Re: Answering Some of Your Questions

I have issues with this thread being in this particular sub forum but since this may be my only opportunity to post something political in NVG and to someone who may be a future President of the US - ho hum...

Mr. Johnson, when if ever, do you think that the rating agencies will downgrade US debt? If you believe 'never' do you believe that that will be because it is simply not justifiable or because the rating agencies would consider it political suicide to do so?

Cordially, yours,

Rhubarbwp.
Rhubarbwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
zizek
veteran
 
zizek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,062
Re: Answering Some of Your Questions

Best of luck in your campaign. You have my support, 100%.
zizek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
NoahSD
Is Right
 
NoahSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 18,865
Re: Answering Some of Your Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovGaryJohnson View Post
The Justice Department is an executive branch agency that answers to the President. The sudden decision to begin enforcing UIGEA earlier this year was a decision that did not have to be made and should not have been made. There are literally thousands of federal crimes now (only three are listed in the U.S. Constitution), so it’s clear not all of them can be enforced. The Justice Department must choose which laws to prioritize, and for as long as UIGEA remains on the books, I believe it should be at the bottom of the Justice Department’s list with a priority of zero.
There was no sudden decision earlier this year to begin enforcing the UIGEA. The actions of April 15th were the result of an investigation that took at least five years and primarily dealt with bank fraud. They were not even the first seizures of gambling-related transactions that happened. I believe the first major seizure that affected poker players was Neteller in 2006, and after that there was a long series of seizures beginning I believe in June of 2009.

The bank fraud was slightly related to UIGEA in that many banks stopped accepting gambling transactions because of UIGEA. However, many banks reject gambling transactions simply because they are a frequent cause of chargebacks and because customers who gamble frequently don't repay their loans.

It is true that the president technically could have stopped the actions on April 15th, but I disagree with the characterization that this was a sudden decision. It certainly wasn't sudden, and I wouldn't be surprised if the president was completely unaware of it. I'd be very surprised if either Obama or Bush ever directly said "Let's go after online gambling" or anything similar.

Last edited by NoahSD; 07-24-2011 at 01:33 PM.
NoahSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
PokerMikie
grinder
 
PokerMikie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 572
Re: Answering Some of Your Questions

This is not level....

Not voting for you...

Who lines your pockets Sir?
PokerMikie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #11
stevdoro
banned
 
stevdoro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,587
Re: Answering Some of Your Questions

Have you ever played online poker?
stevdoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #12
NoahSD
Is Right
 
NoahSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 18,865
Re: Answering Some of Your Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevdoro View Post
Have you ever played online poker?
Governor Johnson answered this question in my interview with him:

NSD: Alright, so Iíll finish with a softball: Do you play poker?

GJ: Well, Iíve played poker my entire life. Have I ever played it online for money? No.

NSD: But you enjoy the game?

GJ: Yes, well, Iím a chess guy, and Iím a backgammon guy, and Iím a game guy. Iíve been a game guy my whole life.
NoahSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #13
hangdealer
centurion
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 168
Re: Answering Some of Your Questions

You've done amazing things as Governor of New Mexico.

You have my support & good luck!
hangdealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #14
Interpleader
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 868
Re: Answering Some of Your Questions

Where do you stand on gay marriage, death penalty, and abortion?
Interpleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #15
Videopro
Formerly Professionalpoker
 
Videopro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Henderson of course.
Posts: 17,081
Re: Answering Some of Your Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpleader View Post
Where do you stand on gay marriage, death penalty, and abortion?
A couple of your questions are answered here:
http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/issues/civil-liberties

His homepage for issues:

http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/issues

Last edited by Videopro; 07-24-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Videopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #16
Interpleader
adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 868
Re: Answering Some of Your Questions

Thanks. this definitely helps. The statements are a little confusing, however, especially on gay marriage. Also, is "fetal viability" the 3rd trimester? Sorry for asking social questions - I hope that is alright.
Interpleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #17
2DMB2LIV
adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,011
Re: Answering Some of Your Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpleader View Post
Where do you stand on gay marriage, death penalty, and abortion?
There are plenty of really good interviews with Gov.Johnson on youtube that answer all of these questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpleader View Post
Thanks. this definitely helps. The statements are a little confusing, however, especially on gay marriage. Also, is "fetal viability" the 3rd trimester? Sorry for asking social questions - I hope that is alright.
Wikipedia: "Viability refers to a point in fetal development at which the fetus may survive outside the womb. The lower limit of viability is approximately five months gestational age, and usually later"

Edit: Personally, for an issue as sensitive as abortion I feel that the concept of viability is a great point at which to draw the line.
2DMB2LIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #18
ChicagoRy
 
ChicagoRy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ColoradoRy
Posts: 19,864
Re: Answering Some of Your Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahSD View Post
There was no sudden decision earlier this year to begin enforcing the UIGEA. The actions of April 15th were the result of an investigation that took at least five years and primarily dealt with bank fraud. They were not even the first seizures of gambling-related transactions that happened. I believe the first major seizure that affected poker players was Neteller in 2006, and after that there was a long series of seizures beginning I believe in June of 2009.

The bank fraud was slightly related to UIGEA in that many banks stopped accepting gambling transactions because of UIGEA. However, many banks reject gambling transactions simply because they are a frequent cause of chargebacks and because customers who gamble frequently don't repay their loans.

It is true that the president technically could have stopped the actions on April 15th, but I disagree with the characterization that this was a sudden decision. It certainly wasn't sudden, and I wouldn't be surprised if the president was completely unaware of it. I'd be very surprised if either Obama or Bush ever directly said "Let's go after online gambling" or anything similar.
Hacking off the arms of a few processors is a lot different than effectively shutting down 95% of the places US players play.

While your details are obviously correct and the governor isn't likely aware of all of them, he's still effectively correct.

If Obama didn't know about online poker stuff, that's still inaction and inaction in our case is the equivalent to opposition.

If the governor were at the helm he says he wouldn't enforce this, so that would be an example of a pro poker prospect.

I would certainly characterize Obama as anti poker, whether he pays attention or not, it's still a bad result for us.

Many banks blocking poker transactions versus all banks blocking poker transactions is a big difference too. Without the justice department's aggressive stance on online poker would we not be in "many" territory instead of "all?" I'm deliberately not counting misleading or creative cashout methods.
ChicagoRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #19
ChaosReigns
old hand
 
ChaosReigns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pontiff of Poodles
Posts: 1,974
Re: Answering Some of Your Questions

Some people are not supporting you because they do not see you as a viable candidate (meaning one who has any chance of winning even your party's nomination). What do you say to those people?
ChaosReigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #20
Mutant K12
Vacant... with a hint of sadness
 
Mutant K12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Gloom, despair and agony on me
Posts: 7,017
Re: Answering Some of Your Questions

What made you decide to run as a Republican? Your social views (most of which I agree with btw) clearly put you at odds with the Republican right and they currently control who is getting nominated and who is not.

I understand that running as a Democrat wasn't an option, but did you ever consider a third party run?
Mutant K12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #21
smudgie
journeyman
 
smudgie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 265
Re: Answering Some of Your Questions

In your heart of hearts, do you truly think you can win election to the presidency? I know there are many people who run for president (e.g., Ralph Nader) who can't rationally believe they will win, but who maybe want to use it as a forum to express their views, to satisfy some ego needs, etc. Given that the you have no realistic chance of winning, what are your real reasons for running? In other words, when it's over and you've lost, for what reasons will you feel it was worth spending all this time and money?
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #22
Videopro
Formerly Professionalpoker
 
Videopro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Henderson of course.
Posts: 17,081
Re: Answering Some of Your Questions

Collection of Gary Johnson videos:

https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/vi...e=gary-johnson
Videopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #23
LiveActionPro
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
LiveActionPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,598
Re: Answering Some of Your Questions

Gary, how are you going to win an election talking about legallizing online poker? When there are so many more important issues to talk about. All these people donated money to the PPA in hopes of doing what your trying to do, and that failed, and I can not help but think that all the money being sent to you right now will be just as much of a waste as the PPA.
LiveActionPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:47 PM   #24
Sdgullsfan84
grinder
 
Sdgullsfan84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 453
Re: Answering Some of Your Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovGaryJohnson View Post
The Justice Department is an executive branch agency that answers to the President. The sudden decision to begin enforcing UIGEA earlier this year was a decision that did not have to be made and should not have been made. There are literally thousands of federal crimes now (only three are listed in the U.S. Constitution), so itís clear not all of them can be enforced. The Justice Department must choose which laws to prioritize, and for as long as UIGEA remains on the books, I believe it should be at the bottom of the Justice Departmentís list with a priority of zero.
Do you really consider yourself a serious candidate for president espousing such views as 'some laws are created more equal than others, therefore we should pick and choose which ones to enforce arbitrarily?' Wouldn't the more responsible approach be say that the DOJ was correct to act the way it did given the laws in place, but that you believe that the laws are wrong and should be changed on an ideological basis?

Do you further believe that it is responsible or even politically prudent to lobby the support of a group of people who on a wide range of political issues pretty much 100% disagree with you, other than on this single, solitary issue?
Sdgullsfan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:48 PM   #25
permafrost
old hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,968
Re: Answering Some of Your Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovGaryJohnson View Post
As President I would support legislation to repeal UIGEA and correct the problem at its core.
Please explain how repeal of UIGEA would correct, at it's core, the problem of UIG. Or are you saying UIGEA is the problem?

Quote:
I would prefer for there to be no federal laws interfering with online gaming, which is obviously a passion for millions of Americans.
Federal laws don't interfere much with lawful online gaming; so are you saying unlawful online gaming is a problem caused by states and all "interfering" fed laws should be repealed? Various Congresses put those laws in place and had good reasons; are you saying they were all wrong? What is the probability of any repeal if you are elected?

Quote:
If there is to be government regulation of online gaming sites based in the U.S., I would prefer for that to be done at the state level rather than at the federal level.
Me too, in fact states have already regulated gambling businesses, online and other, and it works well.

Quote:
The best way to go about legalizing online poker and other forms of online gaming is, of course, an open discussion, and I welcome that discussion going forward.
Great, me too.
permafrost is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online