Open Side Menu Go to the Top
Register
Adam Richardson and Ante Up for Africa: The Truth Adam Richardson and Ante Up for Africa: The Truth

07-11-2009 , 05:56 PM
Kinda odd:
Quote:
Registrant Name: Registration Private
Registrant Organization: Domains by Proxy, Inc.
Registrant Street1: DomainsByProxy.com
Registrant Street2: 15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Adam Richardson and Ante Up for Africa: The Truth Quote
07-11-2009 , 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSoup4U
The name of the charity they registered with the IRS could be Cheadle/Duke or just about anything, so it is quite possible that they are a legit charity who never mentions the actual name they have registered under. It would be unusual, but quite possible. I would assume that someone like Matt Damon would do due diligence before he associated with them, so the mere fact that we can't find a 990 doesn't mean that they aren't legit.

Even if they turn out to be an ordinary non-profit whose purpose is to raise money for other 501(c)3s, what they are doing is still good and meaningful (although not necessarily tax deductible) As a result of their actions, a lot of money has been raised for groups like Refugees International and the Enough Project, whose efforts are transparent and documented.

They don't appear to wasting an obvious ton of money. Their office address is a mailbox drop, so it is probably safe to assume that their overhead is not outrageous.
Adam Richardson and Ante Up for Africa: The Truth Quote
07-12-2009 , 08:24 PM
Why is that surprising? You think they should be renting office space for this organization that holds one activity per year? (AFAIK)
Adam Richardson and Ante Up for Africa: The Truth Quote
07-12-2009 , 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlineHandle
rememember when Annie Dukes new husband won the big donkament on UB.
Karma is a bitch dizzy Annie
LOL...Annie won it....it was back when Bluff did live radio/action calls (whatever u want to call it) during the UB online series.... they had UB pros call the action of the last few tables or something......

Annie was the pro for that event....she could not go on air w/ Bluff when she was scheduled to.... and when she finally did...she was on the phone w/ him....sound like "ghosting" LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOOLOLLLLLOOOOLLLOOOL OOLOOL

Annie PAWNS u all.....she is laughing all the way to the BANK...on EVERY level....

I know this 1st hand....no she said he said....
Adam Richardson and Ante Up for Africa: The Truth Quote
07-13-2009 , 05:51 PM
I'll try to update my progress on obtaining a 990 from AUFA periodically. Still have not heard from them. I am sending them one e-mail a week in the hopes that someone responds. I am also using some of my not-for-profit connections to try and get somebody on the phone but no luck as of yet.

Again if anyone has any leads on a way to contact a representative of AUFA in a professional manner I would appreciate the help.
Adam Richardson and Ante Up for Africa: The Truth Quote
07-13-2009 , 06:02 PM
I'm not a lawyer, but why doesn't Admo just sue Ante Up For Africa and "Hunter" for Libel? His lawyer can subpoena the leadership of AUFA to testify under oath who "Hunter" is. And threaten to deduct every dime of the costs of this suit from his intended donation.

AUFA can have a choice, give in to his demands, have Hunter can willingly reveal herself while issuing a public apology, and Admo will then make his contribution. Or, deal with the suit and the resulting bad publicity, all the while legal fees eat away at a large donation they could be getting.
Adam Richardson and Ante Up for Africa: The Truth Quote
07-13-2009 , 06:17 PM
... Hunter can willingly reveal herself ...

o_O
Adam Richardson and Ante Up for Africa: The Truth Quote
07-13-2009 , 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAt15
Why is that surprising? You think they should be renting office space for this organization that holds one activity per year? (AFAIK)
the claim is that the postbox makes it safe to assume that the overhead isnt too large. i find that very naive. to say the least.
Adam Richardson and Ante Up for Africa: The Truth Quote
07-13-2009 , 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnWithTheShow
They used a proxy to register their domain. This is a service you have to pay extra that obscures the contact info for the site behind a proxy. It reeks of impropriety, at least to me.

Their slogan is "your identity is nobody's business but ours"

Check it out: http://www.domainsbyproxy.com/
Not necessary shady. One trick spammers use is to farm through all the domain name registration forms. Because you are required to have a valid email address for your registration spammers know the email is valid and spam the crap out of it. To hide the registration email address from spammers you use a proxy service which filters and eliminates the spam. It's used all the time.
Adam Richardson and Ante Up for Africa: The Truth Quote
07-13-2009 , 07:50 PM
Ah okay, my misunderstanding. "Safe to assume" is a pretty strong statement, so I would agree that it would be nice to be able to see the paperwork.
Adam Richardson and Ante Up for Africa: The Truth Quote
07-13-2009 , 08:20 PM
This is starting to smell more fishy than a place with a lot of fish.
Adam Richardson and Ante Up for Africa: The Truth Quote
07-13-2009 , 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapple888
So it's perfectly OK to:

- Ask zero questions ahead of time
- Assume that because Annie Duke is involved, it is likely to be shady
- Pummel the soft field to a second-place finish
- Create a drama-bomb to focus attention on the issue
- NOW start asking questions

And anyone playing the event can, nay SHOULD, use the same strategy, because of Annie Duke's involvement.

Well, fine. I guess that's all there is to say. It's all Annie Duke's fault for starting up a charity, and it's all the organizers fault for actually expecting a top finisher to donate to the actual charity that put on the actual event, and Admo is a genius and a god.

OK, got it. Carry on.
It appears that you do NOT get it, pineapple. In fact, it's clear. Have you become JHughes' proxy?
Adam Richardson and Ante Up for Africa: The Truth Quote
07-13-2009 , 11:00 PM
theres no point in this debate whether he did right or wrong, all of 2+2 loves him so obv he did right.
Adam Richardson and Ante Up for Africa: The Truth Quote
07-14-2009 , 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarmNuts
theres no point in this debate whether he did right or wrong, all of 2+2 loves him so obv he did right.
So far, you are a one-trick pony. The reason why there is no debate is because nobody has made a valid accusation of any wrongdoing by Admo.

Perhaps you wanna have a go at it?
Adam Richardson and Ante Up for Africa: The Truth Quote
07-14-2009 , 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertCat
I'm not a lawyer, but why doesn't Admo just sue Ante Up For Africa and "Hunter" for Libel? His lawyer can subpoena the leadership of AUFA to testify under oath who "Hunter" is. And threaten to deduct every dime of the costs of this suit from his intended donation.

AUFA can have a choice, give in to his demands, have Hunter can willingly reveal herself while issuing a public apology, and Admo will then make his contribution. Or, deal with the suit and the resulting bad publicity, all the while legal fees eat away at a large donation they could be getting.
What are the damages? That is a required element.
Adam Richardson and Ante Up for Africa: The Truth Quote
07-14-2009 , 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oski
What are the damages? That is a required element.
From Wikipedia:

Under United States law, libel generally requires five key elements. The plaintiff must prove that the information was published, the plaintiff was directly or indirectly identified, the remarks were defamatory towards the plaintiff's reputation, the published information is false, and that the defendant is at fault.

I see nothing about having to prove quantifiable damages. I'm pretty sure Admo is beyond this point, but I think he'd definitely have a case.
Adam Richardson and Ante Up for Africa: The Truth Quote
07-14-2009 , 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarmNuts
theres no point in this debate whether he did right or wrong, all of 2+2 loves him so obv he did right.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but you should give 2+2 more credit.

Remember when Cornell Fiji did wonderfully thorough research into shady dealings wrt the whole UB/AP mess?

Praise was heaped upon him by the truckload. When the scandal came to light, 2p2ers (correctly) changed their mind as to his character.

Admo is extremely well-respected and admired in the 2p2 community. If convincing evidence came to light tomorrow that he routinely beats up infants and puppies for fun, then he would be despised (again correctly) by the same 2p2 community that loves him now.

Basically, we love Admo because he's awesome. If he screwed up (or otherwise stopped being awesome) he wouldn't get a pass just because he's Admo. The history on that is pretty clear.
Adam Richardson and Ante Up for Africa: The Truth Quote
07-14-2009 , 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMyndTrik
From Wikipedia:

Under United States law, libel generally requires five key elements. The plaintiff must prove that the information was published, the plaintiff was directly or indirectly identified, the remarks were defamatory towards the plaintiff's reputation, the published information is false, and that the defendant is at fault.

I see nothing about having to prove quantifiable damages. I'm pretty sure Admo is beyond this point, but I think he'd definitely have a case.
[x] Making a legal case to an attorney using Wikipedia.
Adam Richardson and Ante Up for Africa: The Truth Quote
07-14-2009 , 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMyndTrik
From Wikipedia:

Under United States law, libel generally requires five key elements. The plaintiff must prove that the information was published, the plaintiff was directly or indirectly identified, the remarks were defamatory towards the plaintiff's reputation, the published information is false, and that the defendant is at fault.

I see nothing about having to prove quantifiable damages. I'm pretty sure Admo is beyond this point, but I think he'd definitely have a case.
Well, you are wrong.

In some cases, you can have what are known as per se damages. That would be applicable, for example, against an attorney where his the worth of his profession is basically equated with his reputation. In those cases, damages are assumed.

Here, not so much.
Adam Richardson and Ante Up for Africa: The Truth Quote
07-14-2009 , 01:10 AM
D'oh, I lose at the internets.
Adam Richardson and Ante Up for Africa: The Truth Quote
07-14-2009 , 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMyndTrik
D'oh, I lose at the internets.
Not really. The damages portion of a suit usually trips a lot people up. It is easy to focus on the "wrong" and ignore the question of what damage it caused (if any) in a case where the harm is not tangible.
Adam Richardson and Ante Up for Africa: The Truth Quote
07-20-2009 , 09:42 AM
Quick update for those interested. As I mentioned before I began regularly e-mailing the support@anteupforafica.org address listed on their web site in order to try and obtain answers to the official status of Ante Up For Africa. For a couple of weeks I had received no response.

Then, much to my surprise, I opened my e-mail this morning to find the following:

support@anteupforafrica.org to me

Ante Up For Africa was incorporated in the 4th quarter of 2008. We had no income and no expenses in 2008 following our incorporation. We have applied for and been granted our 501(c)3 status and have been told our Determination Letter will arrive in the next 10 days. Since 2009 will be our first year of activity, we will be publishing our financial statements after the year end.

Thanks for your interest and support.


This does answer some of the questions about AUFA but certainly raises some additional ones. I guess my biggest question is how was the money AUFA received tracked prior to the 4th Quarter 2008?

For those wondering a "Determination Letter" is just an official letter a charity gets from the IRS telling them their organizational status in the eyes of the IRS. So basically AUFA should get a letter saying that they are a recognized 501(c)(3) within the next 10 days according to the above response. Then sometime in 2010 there should be an audited 990 available for public review.

I have sent them a response asking to be forwarded a copy of their determination letter whenever they receive it.

So in the end it looks like if someone wants to donate to AUFA they are going to have to wait a little less than a year to see how AUFA decides to use the donation. There is nothing inherently wrong with donating to a startup charity in its first year if you are comfortable with management and how you believe they will use your donation. Whether an individual is comfortable with how Annie and gang will use the money is up to the donating individual. If it was me I would probably just donate to Refugees International or another charity directly.
Adam Richardson and Ante Up for Africa: The Truth Quote
07-20-2009 , 11:55 AM
Application date probably = 1 day after this thread started
Adam Richardson and Ante Up for Africa: The Truth Quote
07-20-2009 , 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prana
Application date probably = 1 day after this thread started
lol
Adam Richardson and Ante Up for Africa: The Truth Quote
07-20-2009 , 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prana
Application date probably = 1 day after this thread started
It usually takes much longer. I have a non-profit association and it took nearly 6-9 months to get my determination letter.

But it does call in to question their earlier years. However, as someone said, they may have just been funneling the money to the other causes, but we will never know what percentage without the 990.
Adam Richardson and Ante Up for Africa: The Truth Quote

      
m