Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

News, Views, Gossip and Books For poker news, views, gossip and books.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2021, 04:51 PM   #1
Devplaza
stranger
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 4
Heart WPT 500 Event #24 Winner Disqualified -- Help Me

Hi, my name is David Afework and I recently won $160 000 on Party poker. It was my biggest win ever and the most amazing moment of my life. However today I received an email from party poker telling me that I have been disqualified because they believe I gave my account to a third party
Which is just complete rubbish. I played on my account, on my Dell Laptop in the room I had been living in for months, my girlfriend (who has no understanding of poker) was the only person that saw me throughout the time of the tournament. I was completely alone for 99% of the time. I imagine this third party nonsense comes from the fact that I have been living with another poker player for the best part of 7 months so maybe they see we share the same ip address or whatever but I'm completely transparent about that and don't want to hide that, no one has ever had access to my account other than myself, that's a 100% guarantee.

The truth is I played the tournament and I won, it's as simple as that and to see how Party poker have taken things is just the biggest disappointment ever and I'm just at a loss for words. Making it to the final table with some really good players to then come out on top was just wow. I played better than I ever have and also had the luck I needed on the way. Even the final hand like, to crack aces with the flush on the river like come on, or when I took out Jamie staples who had King queen suited and flopped a two pair and I flopped the flush with ten six of hearts. Everything was just going for me. So much so that after the tournament I whacked £2000 of my winnings onto roulette and got it up to £18 000. But they have taken it all away.

Either way went I lost a few thousand pounds in the weeks prior I never saw any concern from party poker towards me or my account, because there was no reason to. Now though I won, and I won big and they don't want me to win, it's as clear as day.

Anyhow, the reason I'm reaching out here on 2 + 2 is because I need the support of the community and I don't know how else to capture the communities attention. I have already contacted the UK gambling commission to inform them about what's happened as well as making the initial steps to take legal action. Has it ever happened to anyone before ?

If you feel compelled to get the word out it would be greatly appreciated. I'll keep those who are interested updated along the journey because it's going to be a long one.
Devplaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 05:25 PM   #2
Yin&Yang
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 63
Re: WPT 500 Event #24 Winner Disqualified -- Help Me

I feel for you man! If you speak the truth, it must be your 16k roulette win.

Poker rooms are destroying their own business if this keeps going on. People get scared to deposit and to play if it is so easy for them to steal/keep money from players.

It would be better if a in depended third party keeps all the money and not the poker room.

I think Party tracks also your mouse movement with special software, so they can see if it is you that's playing... Maybe you can use that in court to prove it was you that was playing.

GL in court... 160k is worth it!
Yin&Yang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 05:45 PM   #3
Moon Pie
stranger
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 2
Re: WPT 500 Event #24 Winner Disqualified -- Help Me

I would get into contact with Rob Yong and Partypoker through Twitter and ask them to take a look at this
Moon Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:11 PM   #4
GazzyB123
Pooh-Bah
 
GazzyB123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yer maw
Posts: 5,232
Re: WPT 500 Event #24 Winner Disqualified -- Help Me

GL OP, a friend of mine going through a similar situation with 888 (though I shan't derail your thread). Poker rooms need to be held accountable for **** like this.
GazzyB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:07 PM   #5
bumpnrun
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: lol imo
Posts: 2,838
Re: WPT 500 Event #24 Winner Disqualified -- Help Me

OP. So your flat mate was not home the entire time you were making this deep run ? If you can find a way to prove that it should help your cause ?

I think this highlights the potential danger of poker players living together. Itís natural to rail a friend closely in this situation . Are you supposed to just watch silently?
bumpnrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:23 PM   #6
Mason Malmuth
Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 12,055
Re: WPT 500 Event #24 Winner Disqualified -- Help Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devplaza View Post
Hi, my name is David Afework and I recently won $160 000 on Party poker. It was my biggest win ever and the most amazing moment of my life. However today I received an email from party poker telling me that I have been disqualified because they believe I gave my account to a third party
Which is just complete rubbish. I played on my account, on my Dell Laptop in the room I had been living in for months, my girlfriend (who has no understanding of poker) was the only person that saw me throughout the time of the tournament. I was completely alone for 99% of the time. I imagine this third party nonsense comes from the fact that I have been living with another poker player for the best part of 7 months so maybe they see we share the same ip address or whatever but I'm completely transparent about that and don't want to hide that, no one has ever had access to my account other than myself, that's a 100% guarantee.

The truth is I played the tournament and I won, it's as simple as that and to see how Party poker have taken things is just the biggest disappointment ever and I'm just at a loss for words. Making it to the final table with some really good players to then come out on top was just wow. I played better than I ever have and also had the luck I needed on the way. Even the final hand like, to crack aces with the flush on the river like come on, or when I took out Jamie staples who had King queen suited and flopped a two pair and I flopped the flush with ten six of hearts. Everything was just going for me. So much so that after the tournament I whacked £2000 of my winnings onto roulette and got it up to £18 000. But they have taken it all away.

Either way went I lost a few thousand pounds in the weeks prior I never saw any concern from party poker towards me or my account, because there was no reason to. Now though I won, and I won big and they don't want me to win, it's as clear as day.

Anyhow, the reason I'm reaching out here on 2 + 2 is because I need the support of the community and I don't know how else to capture the communities attention. I have already contacted the UK gambling commission to inform them about what's happened as well as making the initial steps to take legal action. Has it ever happened to anyone before ?

If you feel compelled to get the word out it would be greatly appreciated. I'll keep those who are interested updated along the journey because it's going to be a long one.
Hi Devplaza:

I think you need to quickly hire an attorney who has a good understanding of gambling law, especially for the country that you live in which I think is England. He'll probably be expensive, but the right person with the right attorney skills might be able to put a lot of pressure on Party.

Now I have no idea as to why this was done (and depending on their guidelines plus the specifics of the situation they may have been correct to hold the payment up), and I suspect that they won't want to tell you all of their reasons for not paying you. But a good attorney might be able to force the information out of Party as to why this decision not to pay you was done. And once this is done, you may have something you can challenge plus the poker site may not like the bad publicity that they might get.

Best wishes,
Mason
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:28 PM   #7
ChicagoJoey
Papi
 
ChicagoJoey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: I AM GTO
Posts: 15,434
Re: WPT 500 Event #24 Winner Disqualified -- Help Me

They didn't give you further reasoning on why they suspected someone else was using your account??
ChicagoJoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:49 PM   #8
ejames209
adept
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: 6bet me's no. 1 fan's no. 1 fan
Posts: 966
Re: WPT 500 Event #24 Winner Disqualified -- Help Me

hope this is a genuine mistake and OP gets his money if he did nothing wrong
ejames209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:02 PM   #9
jjjou812
veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,462
Re: WPT 500 Event #24 Winner Disqualified -- Help Me

Remember the bad publicity card can only be played once.
jjjou812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 09:10 PM   #10
persianpunisher
veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,365
Re: WPT 500 Event #24 Winner Disqualified -- Help Me

You got Joey in this thread Devplaza. That's your best chance at getting this taken care of without legal recourse.
persianpunisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:17 PM   #11
Kid-A
journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 247
Re: WPT 500 Event #24 Winner Disqualified -- Help Me

Was this the tournament where Jaime finished third? I watched a lot of that FT and (no offence) OP didn't play like a professional. Hope this gets sorted. Seems crazy they can just withhold that much money.
Kid-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:40 PM   #12
WiCane
old hand
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,887
Re: WPT 500 Event #24 Winner Disqualified -- Help Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid-A View Post
Was this the tournament where Jaime finished third? I watched a lot of that FT and (no offence) OP didn't play like a professional. Hope this gets sorted. Seems crazy they can just withhold that much money.
This.

I happened to be watching and the announcers were even commenting on OPs less then conventional approach. They were cheering hard for him bc of this.

OP, you should contact the announcers. I think it was James Dempsey, Patrick Leonard, and Henry Kilbane. Think they normally do the PP streams. They might be able to help you.
WiCane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 11:07 PM   #13
SwoopAE
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
SwoopAE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 22,038
Re: WPT 500 Event #24 Winner Disqualified -- Help Me

Going to be an interesting thread to follow

GL getting your money back OP assuming everything is as described in your post

+1 for contacting Joey and Pads directly decent chance they may be able to help out here assuming everything occurred exactly as you claimed.
SwoopAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 11:21 PM   #14
pmarrsouth
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Global
Posts: 4,075
Re: WPT 500 Event #24 Winner Disqualified -- Help Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Malmuth View Post
I think you need to quickly hire an attorney who has a good understanding of gambling law, especially for the country that you live in which I think is England.
No. OP can do so much more before going the legal route. Once you mention the legal aspect of this to a site, the site can just state that they need to receive all correspondence from your legal representative to theirs and they wont discuss your account with you further directly. That will get very expensive, very fast, unnecessarily.

@OP, post the full email chain etc from Party about this here
pmarrsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:28 AM   #15
Mason Malmuth
Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 12,055
Re: WPT 500 Event #24 Winner Disqualified -- Help Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth View Post
No. OP can do so much more before going the legal route. Once you mention the legal aspect of this to a site, the site can just state that they need to receive all correspondence from your legal representative to theirs and they wont discuss your account with you further directly. That will get very expensive, very fast, unnecessarily.

@OP, post the full email chain etc from Party about this here
Hi pmartsouth:

I agree that what you say is probably accurate except I don’t think they’ll discuss his account any more with him anyway.

Best wishes,
Mason
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:07 AM   #16
MicroDonkYT
grinder
 
MicroDonkYT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 530
Re: WPT 500 Event #24 Winner Disqualified -- Help Me

Seems like they would have a tough time proving it wasn't you, unless your play style changed completely.
MicroDonkYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:36 AM   #17
Efte
newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 39
Re: WPT 500 Event #24 Winner Disqualified -- Help Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiCane View Post
This.

I happened to be watching and the announcers were even commenting on OPs less then conventional approach. They were cheering hard for him bc of this.

OP, you should contact the announcers. I think it was James Dempsey, Patrick Leonard, and Henry Kilbane. Think they normally do the PP streams. They might be able to help you.
Sounds like a f***up by Party, OP you have my full support - which is worth nothing^^
Efte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 03:52 AM   #18
PokerPlayingGamble
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 3,850
Re: WPT 500 Event #24 Winner Disqualified -- Help Me

160,000 is definitely lawyer territory. pretty shocking that they would blatantly steal your money like that, but party poker has done a lot of really sketchy things in the past so I'm not surprised.
PokerPlayingGamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 04:33 AM   #19
deuceblocker
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 2,134
Re: WPT 500 Event #24 Winner Disqualified -- Help Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayingGamble View Post
160,000 is definitely lawyer territory. pretty shocking that they would blatantly steal your money like that, but party poker has done a lot of really sketchy things in the past so I'm not surprised.
When they disqualify the 1st place winner, do they give the 2nd place winner 1st place money and so on or do they just keep the money?

In a horse race, if the winner is disqualified, the 2nd place finisher comes in 1st and so on. The house pays out all the pool to the betters and the prize money to the owners of the horses. It doesn't make any more money than if no one was disqualified.
deuceblocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:01 AM   #20
lsaw22
enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 90
Re: WPT 500 Event #24 Winner Disqualified -- Help Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoJoey View Post
They didn't give you further reasoning on why they suspected someone else was using your account??

Industry standard is to not give out evidential information to the player.

More detailed information will be provided to legal representatives if that route is taken.



In my experience as an integrity agent 99% of people who post like this on 2+2 are not accurate about their circumstances or behaviour.



IF OP legitimately played the tournament:

then he should engage a lawyer and make a complaint to the relevant dispute resolution authority, at this point Party will be obligated to justify their decision with internal information that would not be released to the player.


A confiscation of this size will have to have been signed off at a high level in any company run by competent adults, for this to have been signed off they clearly thought that they had the requisite proof to withstand a legal complaint. Understand that Party really don't benefit nor are they incentivised to take such actions, they don't keep the funds, and have to inform players a fraudulent player was active on their site and they only caught them after they had binked big.


Quote:
Originally Posted by deuceblocker View Post
When they disqualify the 1st place winner, do they give the 2nd place winner 1st place money and so on or do they just keep the money?
Theoretically the money should be paid out as if the player hadn't existed, so 2nd goes 1st etc etc. However given the scale of the payout and the likelihood of complaint or dispute, it would be foolish for them to action any form of prize pool adjustment until such time as the confiscated player had time to go through all reasonable legal avenues and the case was fully resolved.
lsaw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:07 AM   #21
YGOchamp
old hand
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,507
Re: WPT 500 Event #24 Winner Disqualified -- Help Me

lsaw brings up some great points

I want to believe OP, but party has no incentive to do this maliciously, and it's too big of a payout for an oversight to have been likely.

Curious to see how this plays out though
YGOchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:13 AM   #22
Yin&Yang
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 63
Re: WPT 500 Event #24 Winner Disqualified -- Help Me

We all know how David Afework plays of course...

Judge yourself with the recorded stream of OP final table. Just kidding David, hope you played yourself and that you will get your money in the end.

WPT500 Final Table | 1st $160.210 | $1M Gtd | Buy-in $530 | partypoker
Yin&Yang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:18 AM   #23
Adjusted
adept
 
Adjusted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Hua Hin
Posts: 1,009
Re: WPT 500 Event #24 Winner Disqualified -- Help Me

This is why decentralized poker needs to happen. GL to the OP.
Adjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:54 AM   #24
garbagetime
centurion
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 131
Re: WPT 500 Event #24 Winner Disqualified -- Help Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroDonkYT View Post
Seems like they would have a tough time proving it wasn't you, unless your play style changed completely.
In the past I have completely changed my playstyle between hands. That's not proof of anything.
garbagetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 06:06 AM   #25
chuckamuck
journeyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 341
Re: WPT 500 Event #24 Winner Disqualified -- Help Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yin&Yang View Post
We all know how David Afework plays of course...

Judge yourself with the recorded stream of OP final table. Just kidding David, hope you played yourself and that you will get your money in the end.

WPT500 Final Table | 1st $160.210 | $1M Gtd | Buy-in $530 | partypoker
Thanks for the link!

Quote from the commentators, around this timestamp:David doubles up

"He's played a lot of hands, and then he gets the aces!"

Multiple comments ITT, and the commentators, seem to point to this being a true bink.

One question to the original poster - can you just confirm, do you know whether or not your roommate played in this tournament also?
chuckamuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive