Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

News, Views, Gossip and Books For poker news, views, gossip and books.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2021, 03:20 PM   #126
restacks
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 121
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Malmuth View Post
Hi restacks:

This is from your "Introduction" and the bolding is mine:

This book is the accumulation of all the HUPLO knowledge Iíve built from playing the game and training high stakes players. Over the years, Iíve built a database of over 2000 handmade strategy graphs covering every line and every stack size in PLO. Iíve used these to look down at the game from a hgh level and develop heuristics that can guide a player in any situation. This doesnít mean that youíll automatically be able to beat them right away as there are many other soft skills in poker that only experience can teach, but given time and study, I expect a number of the readers of this book to ascend to the highest stakes.

So how should you use this book?


A competent editor would not allow the same expression to be used three times so near each other.

Also, for your information, way back, probably in 2006, I told Tommy Angelo that this editor was not competent.

Again, I want to stress that these comments don't mean that the information in the book is not top notch. But I'll see how clear and concise the advice is.

Best wishes,
Mason

Thanks Mason, I know your feedback is going to help me improve my writing skill so I'm very appreciative of that.

One final thing I should mention (I only just remembered this): I had asked Anna to do more of a "blunder check" rather than the most in-depth edit possible. This was to save a bit of time and also because I didn't feel my readership would be put off by issues like the one you illustrated. I'm quite confident she saw this and decided it fell into the category of "minor blunder".

While I made a concerted effort to write as well as I could, I'm just beginning this journey and still have a lot of weaknesses and blind spots. I look forward to more of your feedback so I can continue to improve.
restacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:16 PM   #127
Mason Malmuth
Former Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 12,120
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by restacks View Post
Thanks Mason, I know your feedback is going to help me improve my writing skill so I'm very appreciative of that.

One final thing I should mention (I only just remembered this): I had asked Anna to do more of a "blunder check" rather than the most in-depth edit possible. This was to save a bit of time and also because I didn't feel my readership would be put off by issues like the one you illustrated. I'm quite confident she saw this and decided it fell into the category of "minor blunder".

While I made a concerted effort to write as well as I could, I'm just beginning this journey and still have a lot of weaknesses and blind spots. I look forward to more of your feedback so I can continue to improve.
Hi restacks:

I'm just starting to read your book and after this post my emphasis will not be on the writing. However, I've looked at a lot of manuscripts over the years, many which we published, and even more that we didn't publish, and virtually all of them needed editing, and this includes those written by me.

Here is the first paragraph (and since this is a book for sale I won't be putting a lot of excerpts up) in the "Chart Terms Defined" chapter:

Being able to properly visualize our strategy and the optimal response is the most direct path to poker improvement. Unfortunately, due to the vastness of PLO ranges, there is no easy way to create visuals the way the 13x13 grid did for NLH in PioSOLVER. To remedy this, I have opted to create charts that graphically represent our strategy. These charts will allow you to see every major subcategory of hands, how often it occurs in our range, how often that group chooses to take a certain action, and where a certain subgroup of hands falls in our opponentís range. With training, you will also be able to imagine how the strategy represented in each graph will change based on your opponentís tendencies.

Here is my rewrite:

Being able to visualize strategy as well as the optimal response is the best path to improving your strategy. Unfortunately, due to the vastness of PLO ranges, there'ss no easy way to create visuals similar to the 13x13 grid for NLH that programs like PioSOLVER produce.

To remedy this, I have created charts which graphically represent expert strategy. They allow you to see every major subgroup (of hands), how often they occur in our range, how often you should, depending on the category, take a certain action, and where each subgroup falls in our opponentís range. With training, it should also become possible to imagine how the strategy represented in each graph will change based on your opponentís tendencies.


Best wishes,
Mason
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 03:11 AM   #128
RalphWaldoEmerson
Pooh-Bah
 
RalphWaldoEmerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: san francisco
Posts: 5,688
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Mason, this is a book written by a poker professional. You should expect the writing quality to be poor, and the information excellent. Nobody buys a $1600 poker manual expecting good writing.
RalphWaldoEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 03:25 AM   #129
PokerPlayingGamble
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 4,012
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

I think for $1600 we can expect both.
PokerPlayingGamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 03:58 AM   #130
Mason Malmuth
Former Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 12,120
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphWaldoEmerson View Post
Mason, this is a book written by a poker professional. You should expect the writing quality to be poor, and the information excellent. Nobody buys a $1600 poker manual expecting good writing.
Hi Ralph:

What I think the author needs to do is to look at my post and compare his version of the paragraph to my rewrite. If he feels that his version holds up well relative to my version, he should be done. If he thinks that my version is a lot better, my suggestion is to go our and find a competent editor (who has worked in poker/gambling) and work on improving the writing. It's not my decision.

Best wishes,
Mason
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:03 AM   #131
restacks
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 121
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Mason's edits are clear improvements, I agree. This is certainly not the last iteration of the book and all the buyers will get the updates for free.

I guess what I would say to a prospective buyer is: Read my original passage that Mason included and look at his improvement. If you feel my original passage is unreadable, please let me know and I'll make changing that a priority. I suspect that for most of the audience the poker content will be their primary focus. I also suspect that most won't pick up on the issues Mason is illustrating which require a high degree of literary skill to detect.

Regardless, I'm happy to receive the feedback
restacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:31 AM   #132
MATT111
Pooh-Bah
 
MATT111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Free Vuvuzela!
Posts: 5,999
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

I agree with that the book is lacking proper editing. As an example the description of the charts is inconsistent. Some show SPRs, while others don’t etc. There is no page count too.
Makes studying unnecessarily hard..
MATT111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:34 AM   #133
restacks
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 121
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATT111 View Post
I agree with that the book is lacking proper editing. As an example the description of the charts is inconsistent. Some show SPRs, while others don’t etc. There is no page count too.
Makes studying unnecessarily hard..
Okay, thanks for the feedback. That's an easy fix on my end. I'll aim for the update to be released in 1 month. I figured the PDF reader would take care of the page count issue. Is that not the case?
restacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:37 AM   #134
MATT111
Pooh-Bah
 
MATT111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Free Vuvuzela!
Posts: 5,999
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by restacks View Post
Okay, thanks for the feedback. That's an easy fix on my end. I'll aim for the update to be released in 1 month. I figured the PDF reader would take care of the page count issue. Is that not the case?
yeah, it is. I printed some out though, as I prefer studying that way.
MATT111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 02:38 PM   #135
restacks
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 121
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATT111 View Post
yeah, it is. I printed some out though, as I prefer studying that way.
I'm really sorry that I wasn't able to send out print copies. I prefer that as well. I didn't think the graphics would be readable and wanted to leave people the option to zoom in.

The upside is that since it's an ebook, it makes sense to think of the book as a new piece of software. Never perfect at the beginning, but future iterations will see an improvement.

I've already started a list of things to improve. Feel free to email me any issues or drop them here. I'm going to add some more content in various places too.
restacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:02 PM   #136
Mason Malmuth
Former Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 12,120
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Hi Everyone:

I have now read a little of the book and since all my earlier comments were somewhat negative I wanted to add something positive.

Based on the small amount I've read, this does look like a strong book. For instance, I thought the author did a good job of explaining why the in position player when the SPR is 2 should make a small bet, if he bets, after the out of position player bets.

I'll also be slowly reading my way through it and may add comments here and there. However, in whatever I say, everyone should understand that I'm not a PLO player so may not always get everything right.

Best wishes,
Mason
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:18 PM   #137
Fossilkid93
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Fossilkid93's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Puerto Vallarta
Posts: 11,905
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Malmuth View Post
Based on the small amount I've read, this does look like a strong book. For instance, I thought the author did a good job of explaining why the in position player when the SPR is 2 should make a small bet, if he bets, after the out of position player bets.
If SPR is 2 and the OOP donks, he'll be potting it which is effectively a shove and there wouldn't be any room for IP to make a small bet.

Maybe you're referring to when he was explaining that as SPR approaches 2.9, OOP can consider a quarter pot bet sizing, so as to be able to maintain a larger betting range than if he chooses a pot size.

Last edited by Fossilkid93; 06-13-2021 at 06:26 PM.
Fossilkid93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 07:19 PM   #138
Mason Malmuth
Former Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 12,120
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossilkid93 View Post
If SPR is 2 and the OOP donks, he'll be potting it which is effectively a shove and there wouldn't be any room for IP to make a small bet.

Maybe you're referring to when he was explaining that as SPR approaches 2.9, OOP can consider a quarter pot bet sizing, so as to be able to maintain a larger betting range than if he chooses a pot size.
I think I meant to write ďafter the out of position player checks.

Best wishes,
Mason
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:52 AM   #139
Chubs
enthusiast
 
Chubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 73
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Malmuth View Post
I think I meant to write ďafter the out of position player checks.

Best wishes,
Mason
damn should have had a competent editor look at that
Chubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:44 PM   #140
Mason Malmuth
Former Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 12,120
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubs View Post
damn should have had a competent editor look at that
Thanks for the insult, but you're actually correct. These type of errors in highly sophisticated poker strategy books are easy to make, and this is one of the things we look for when editing a book of this type.

Mason
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:16 AM   #141
Gabethebabe
Malware Jedi
 
Gabethebabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In front of my monitor
Posts: 25,856
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubs View Post
damn should have had a competent editor look at that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Malmuth View Post
Thanks for the insult, but you're actually correct. These type of errors in highly sophisticated poker strategy books are easy to make, and this is one of the things we look for when editing a book of this type.

Mason
If Mason replies to your a message and doesn't include his standard "Best wishes", means you probably rustled him deeply
Gabethebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:57 PM   #142
Al Mirpuri
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Narnia
Posts: 5,449
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Malmuth View Post

Here is my rewrite:

...

Best wishes,
Mason
We have come a long way from the Hemingway Defence (yes, with a "c" as I am a Limey) found in A Note On The English, 7CSFAP and elsewhere. What is the Hemingway Defence? Well, 2+2 were so stung by the criticism of the prose found in their books they argued that with all the money their advice made us we could buy any number of Hemingway books and enjoy the prose found in them.

I am glad 2+2 and the individuals in it grew.

Al Mirpuri

Last edited by Al Mirpuri; 06-15-2021 at 06:08 PM.
Al Mirpuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 05:32 PM   #143
Mason Malmuth
Former Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 12,120
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Hi Everyone:

While my reading has been very slow, I've now read about 50 pages of the book. And, keep in mind that I'm not very knowledgeable about PLO. But with that in mind, this does appear to be a strong book based on what I've read.

Best wishes,
Mason
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:13 PM   #144
rdedrde1
newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 42
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Malmuth View Post
Hi Everyone:

While my reading has been very slow, I've now read about 50 pages of the book. And, keep in mind that I'm not very knowledgeable about PLO. But with that in mind, this does appear to be a strong book based on what I've read.

Best wishes,
Mason
Can you elaborate?

Bearing in mind you may not be strong at PLO what concepts/principles lead you to believe this is A+ material?

(And I am not shilling. I am a potential buyer who wants a price crash )
rdedrde1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 03:29 AM   #145
restacks
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 121
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdedrde1 View Post
Can you elaborate?

Bearing in mind you may not be strong at PLO what concepts/principles lead you to believe this is A+ material?

(And I am not shilling. I am a potential buyer who wants a price crash )
Hey,

On my website, I have a free downloadable version of the table of contents and one of the early chapters of the book if you'd like to check it out. This chapter falls in the first 50 pages of the book so it's one of the chapters that Mason has read at this point.
restacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:24 PM   #146
Mason Malmuth
Former Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 12,120
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdedrde1 View Post
Can you elaborate?

Bearing in mind you may not be strong at PLO what concepts/principles lead you to believe this is A+ material?

(And I am not shilling. I am a potential buyer who wants a price crash )
Hi rdedrde1:

As one example I thought the author's discussion of "Contradictory Exploits" was quite good.

Best wishes,
Mason
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:32 AM   #147
Maximus215
banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 21
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Haven't we learned by now $1000 poker books are for suckers??? There is so much wrong with buying a super expensive poker book. What if your opponents read the same book? How would you have an edge? What if your opponents are brilliant and crush you anyway after reading this book? If the information in this book could be translated into making a good living playing poker, why would crybaby Cory, the guy who's fault it is heads up PLO was removed from WPN, being selling it in the 1st place??? Good poker players that make real money play poker. Broke poker players are trying to coach suckers!!
Maximus215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:03 AM   #148
Slugant
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,140
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

thats right kiddos... never buy study materials
better yet, never even study at all. what if your opponents study the same thing!? you'll have no edge !
never train for anything because what if, just if, someone who is brilliant still beats you after training... All has been for nothing!!
Slugant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 07:19 PM   #149
Outoftime44444
grinder
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 622
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus215 View Post
Haven't we learned by now $1000 poker books are for suckers??? There is so much wrong with buying a super expensive poker book. What if your opponents read the same book? How would you have an edge? What if your opponents are brilliant and crush you anyway after reading this book? If the information in this book could be translated into making a good living playing poker, why would crybaby Cory, the guy who's fault it is heads up PLO was removed from WPN, being selling it in the 1st place??? Good poker players that make real money play poker. Broke poker players are trying to coach suckers!!
How did Cory get heads up PLO removed from WPN?
Outoftime44444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:28 AM   #150
Al Mirpuri
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Narnia
Posts: 5,449
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by restacks View Post
Hey,

On my website, I have a free downloadable version of the table of contents and one of the early chapters of the book if you'd like to check it out. This chapter falls in the first 50 pages of the book so it's one of the chapters that Mason has read at this point.
I did this.

It all looks kosher to me.

Though, I am just a microstakes plo reg.
Al Mirpuri is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive