Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

News, Views, Gossip and Books For poker news, views, gossip and books.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2021, 08:01 PM   #1
restacks
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 121
My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Hi Guys, My name is Cory Mikesell and Iím excited to announce the release of my newest book for serious PLO players:

HUPLO: The Definitive Guide.

This book is the culmination of years of my own creative approach to studying and the work I've done with numerous HUPLO crushers.

If you want to find out more about it, check out the latest Runchuks Podcast where we discuss the book and a myriad of other topics. Thanks!
restacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 08:27 PM   #2
PTLou
JellyBean
 
PTLou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Playing Offline Poker
Posts: 4,952
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Did Mason write the forward?

if not. could be problem
PTLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:24 PM   #3
whitemares
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4,917
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Trying to advertise your book for free without mod approval might not be the way to go
whitemares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:35 PM   #4
whosnext
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
whosnext's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: California
Posts: 6,337
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

I may be wrong but I think self-promotion of books is allowed now (with certain restrictions).
whosnext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 12:00 AM   #5
Mason Malmuth
Former Top Dog
 
Mason Malmuth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: @MasonMalmuth
Posts: 12,120
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemares View Post
Trying to advertise your book for free without mod approval might not be the way to go
https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/2...olicy-1619293/

Best wishes,
Mason
Mason Malmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 12:07 AM   #6
madmansam
adept
 
madmansam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,150
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Is there a preview, table of contents, or anything you can share? I understand you have a reputation as a good player but paying $1600 for a book based on reputation and a one paragraph description is a stretch.

This is not a troll but meant as a constructive criticism as I am a potential buyer. I immediately googled the book and was planning to buy before I was aware of the price. I understand it could easily be worth the cost, but I would prefer a more precise description/reviews/more info before making the investment.
madmansam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:31 AM   #7
SandraXII
old hand
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,966
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

At that price you have to suspect it Mike not Sell
SandraXII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:47 AM   #8
+rep_lol
El Guapo
 
+rep_lol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 14,889
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

i dont think your RIO videos are good (i used to specialize in o8)

i definitely would not buy your book

that kido pham incident was funny too
+rep_lol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:52 AM   #9
restacks
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 121
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmansam View Post
Is there a preview, table of contents, or anything you can share? I understand you have a reputation as a good player but paying $1600 for a book based on reputation and a one paragraph description is a stretch.

This is not a troll but meant as a constructive criticism as I am a potential buyer. I immediately googled the book and was planning to buy before I was aware of the price. I understand it could easily be worth the cost, but I would prefer a more precise description/reviews/more info before making the investment.
Hey man, yep, I'm happy to provide both. Can you PM me with your email address and I'll send them to you?
restacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:54 AM   #10
restacks
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 121
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Sorry I couldn't post a longer description of the book. The rules say we have to keep it under 100 words which makes it hard to provide any depth about the book. I made a longer post on RIO and a few of my students have responded with their experience working with the material from the book.
restacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:32 AM   #11
tomsOn
centurion
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 172
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Cory is a friend of mine, I have been a HU PLO 25/50-50/100 reg for the past 4 years and I wrote a short foreword to the book. If you're sceptical - I have no % in the sales and at this point I'm close to retired from poker so my take is honest here as I have nothing to gain or lose.

While I understand 1597$ for a book might seem like a lot, if someone can afford to invest that amount in learning in HU PLO it's going to be the best ROI on the market hands down. It's not possible to get a comparable amount of knowledge about the format for a similar price through coaching or coaching sites (not enough high level HU PLO vids covering the same variety of topics, would need probably like 50 in-depth theory vids spread out thematically to hit all bases). The book is actually so dense in valuable information many sections will deserve repeated slow-reads. In terms of HU PLO (quite a lot of concepts will transfer to 6max as well) this is the absolute investment you can make if your goal is to become a crusher in the format. Highly recommend.
tomsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:35 AM   #12
tomsOn
centurion
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 172
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by +rep_lol View Post
that kido pham incident was funny too
Not to derail, but if you're still sceptical about Cory's claim about him here's a well known fact in the HS HU PLO community - not long after the thread kidopham was banned on Partypoker.
tomsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:46 AM   #13
krolewicz
adept
 
krolewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,052
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

i don't think solving 20bb plo HU requires 1600$.
krolewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 10:58 AM   #14
restacks
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 121
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by krolewicz View Post
i don't think solving 20bb plo HU requires 1600$.
Hi and thanks for your interest,

The book covers all stack sizes and focuses the most on 100bb with 40bb being the secondary focus. That being said, the game space at 20bb is actually quite complex, given the presence of high SPR limped pots where somewhat large asymmetries are created, leading to frequent donks on low boards.

I weight the coverage of each stack size based on how readily available they are to players. 20bb isn't really a viable option (due to rake) on most sites until we reach 10-20 so I agree that it doesn't deserve our full attention.
restacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:29 AM   #15
z0mgtiltz
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
z0mgtiltz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: GetDatSzechuan McNuggetSauce
Posts: 10,866
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsOn View Post
Cory is a friend of mine, I have been a HU PLO 25/50-50/100 reg for the past 4 years and I wrote a short foreword to the book. If you're sceptical - I have no % in the sales and at this point I'm close to retired from poker so my take is honest here as I have nothing to gain or lose.

While I understand 1597$ for a book might seem like a lot, if someone can afford to invest that amount in learning in HU PLO it's going to be the best ROI on the market hands down. It's not possible to get a comparable amount of knowledge about the format for a similar price through coaching or coaching sites (not enough high level HU PLO vids covering the same variety of topics, would need probably like 50 in-depth theory vids spread out thematically to hit all bases). The book is actually so dense in valuable information many sections will deserve repeated slow-reads. In terms of HU PLO (quite a lot of concepts will transfer to 6max as well) this is the absolute investment you can make if your goal is to become a crusher in the format. Highly recommend.
Have you used the book and apply it to your game?

Think I have seen Cory claim that you can use this book to beat the best players in the world, but I have never seen him play above 5/10 on Stars.
z0mgtiltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:46 AM   #16
madmansam
adept
 
madmansam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,150
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by restacks View Post
Hey man, yep, I'm happy to provide both. Can you PM me with your email address and I'll send them to you?
Sent, ty. Another question, is the book digital or physical? If digital is it searchable or a pdf?
madmansam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 12:06 PM   #17
restacks
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 121
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmansam View Post
Sent, ty. Another question, is the book digital or physical? If digital is it searchable or a pdf?
I originally wanted to make it physical, but the dark charts I used this time around (before I decided to put them in a book) just don't print well. They look nice on a computer screen, but printers don't like all the ink.

It's in a PDF, but I just tried entering a chapter name in the search function and was able to jump right to that chapter so I think it's reasonably easy to navigate.
restacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 12:47 PM   #18
IhateJJ
journeyman
 
IhateJJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 268
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

I'm very curious how you came to the exact price of $1597 for your book. I assume you determined that this is the optimal value to maximize your EV on book sales, but what was your process to calculate that price? Was is done by modeling, and if so, what inputs were used? Or was it simply spit out by an RNG, as it would seem any amount over $50 for a poker book would asymptotically hit a flattening demand curve in relation to price rather quickly.
IhateJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 01:44 PM   #19
restacks
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 121
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by IhateJJ View Post
I'm very curious how you came to the exact price of $1597 for your book. I assume you determined that this is the optimal value to maximize your EV on book sales, but what was your process to calculate that price? Was is done by modeling, and if so, what inputs were used? Or was it simply spit out by an RNG, as it would seem any amount over $50 for a poker book would asymptotically hit a flattening demand curve in relation to price rather quickly.
At the time, I was charging $3500 for 10 hours of coaching (I've since increased that to $4000 after getting so many snap calls) so this was roughly half of that. My thinking actually was that if someone took 50 hours of coaching with me, that is roughly how long it would take for us to cover all of this material and for them to essentially "buy the book". So I thought it was reasonable to sell the book for 1/10th what it would cost to teach those hours.

You allude to an interesting problem. I've written books at various price points and was thinking about where I should put this one. The problem is, if I charged a small amount for content like this a) it would be so far over the heads of the people who would buy, they would feel they are getting ripped off and b) the players it would help, would never consider it. There is actually an element of "signaling" built in.

The final element is "how many buy ins should 200/500/1k/2k PLO player be willing to pay to dramatically improve their game and how quickly will they win back that investment. That's up for each individual to decide, but I remember starting out at 10-25 cent NLH and paying $1500 for lessons with Andrew Seidman. I'm still getting a ROI from that purchase.
restacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 02:00 PM   #20
IhateJJ
journeyman
 
IhateJJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 268
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Thanks for the explanation, makes sense, and good luck with the book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by restacks View Post
At the time, I was charging $3500 for 10 hours of coaching (I've since increased that to $4000 after getting so many snap calls) so this was roughly half of that. My thinking actually was that if someone took 50 hours of coaching with me, that is roughly how long it would take for us to cover all of this material and for them to essentially "buy the book". So I thought it was reasonable to sell the book for 1/10th what it would cost to teach those hours.

You allude to an interesting problem. I've written books at various price points and was thinking about where I should put this one. The problem is, if I charged a small amount for content like this a) it would be so far over the heads of the people who would buy, they would feel they are getting ripped off and b) the players it would help, would never consider it. There is actually an element of "signaling" built in.

The final element is "how many buy ins should 200/500/1k/2k PLO player be willing to pay to dramatically improve their game and how quickly will they win back that investment. That's up for each individual to decide, but I remember starting out at 10-25 cent NLH and paying $1500 for lessons with Andrew Seidman. I'm still getting a ROI from that purchase.
IhateJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 02:50 PM   #21
Loctus
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Loctus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,300
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

What are your public SN's?
Loctus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 03:30 PM   #22
restacks
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 121
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loctus View Post
What are your public SN's?
I've been stuck in the US for close to a year now so I haven't really played for a while (really hard to play HUPLO in the US). When I was last abroad, I put almost all of my action in on Party Poker. There my screenname was 420isaPSB, but I also played under my real name at their real name tables.
restacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 03:45 PM   #23
restacks
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 121
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loctus View Post
What are your public SN's?
Looks like I also played some HU on 6 max tables at one of the Chico sites under BigSlick7478398. I quickly lost action there because I won like 15 buy ins in a few thousand hands of 5-10. kurvakolousek on Betsson which is a tiger skin I think. No one would play there though.
restacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 02:13 PM   #24
Vvvvv
grinder
 
Vvvvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 441
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Can we see your graphs from HU PLO somewhere?

Do you play HU PLO these days? If you do, what stakes and with what evBB/100?

Are you planning to release some free content, so that we know what we are buying?
Vvvvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 03:07 PM   #25
restacks
centurion
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 121
Re: My Latest Book: HUPLO: The Definitive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vvvvv View Post
Can we see your graphs from HU PLO somewhere?

Do you play HU PLO these days? If you do, what stakes and with what evBB/100?

Are you planning to release some free content, so that we know what we are buying?
Hey, Sure happy to release graphs from the last time I played. I had to come back to the US when my visa expired in 2020 and haven't played much due to being in the US where HU really is hard to find, writing this book, and writing a novel. Find it hard to write and play at the same time and the writing is more important to me RN.

https://gyazo.com/d6f2e8797b9418a5a246984f285b2f80
https://gyazo.com/29a005739065b1356140df866d577bdc
https://gyazo.com/78f8517d171bf408dd86218114d65928
https://gyazo.com/d5e8ec5578dd92b2392b843cd5554d63

Please note a few things. I'll also answer some FAQs here:

1). These are all the hands I've played since switching to HM3 and was basically my entire 2020 and some 2019.
2). The 7.5bb/100 average is inaccurate as well. During the same period, over another 3k hands I won like 15 buy ins at 5-10 on chico (I think), but didn't have tracking set up. I'm sure people will say I'm lying which is fine, but as we all know, graphs are easily faked anyway so at some point it's a matter of trust
3) Included my graph on Party where I put in most of my volume. Why didn't I play much on Stars? Games are worse, I had a sweet rakeback deal, rake is better, and zoom is too fast for my brain
4) Did I just bumhunt on Party? No, The only player I wouldn't play is the one I suspected of being a bot. I even made separate databases for each player which means I can show exactly how much I played vs regs
5) Why didn't I play higher if I was beating 5-10 so soundly? Combination of factors including weak mental game, not enjoying the game, being cheated a lot of different ways in the past which limited my bankroll.

I'm sure people (not suggesting you, but rather various forum trolls) will twist some of the things I'm saying as "proof" that I'm bad or ripping people off and that's fine. Feel free to check out some of the results my students have posted on my book thread on RIO. I believe in the content and so do they. Cheers and thanks for your interest!

Last edited by restacks; 05-31-2021 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Messed up the graphs first time
restacks is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive