Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

News, Views, Gossip and Books For poker news, views, gossip and books.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2021, 08:36 PM   #101
Yeodan
veteran
 
Yeodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Belgium, Antwerp
Posts: 2,946
Re: Carrying a firearm at the poker table

As someone who lives in Western Europe (Belgium) I've never seen a gun up close in my life, except for army troops and police (always holstered)

My 1st reaction to this thread was "wtf this is insane" people explode in my poker games all the time, who in their right mind would allow them to have a gun???

Then reading through the thread made it a bit better, I guess people who are legally allowed to carry a gun are not the kind of people who would explode and start shooting around at other people because they lost a hand of poker.

Also allowing some people to walk around with guns legally, opens up access to walk around with guns illegally.
I'd feel much safer knowing it's very hard to come by a gun. I honestly wouldn't know where to start looking.

Still, I'm now going to have to seriously re-consider moving to the USA to play poker professionally.
Yeodan is offline  
Old 06-13-2021, 08:59 PM   #102
MHE
journeyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 209
Re: Carrying a firearm at the poker table

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkraisdraw View Post
Anyone that is from a developed country that isnít the US would find the idea of taking a gun to the casino crazy. I think that was his point.
You speak for all people from developed countries. That is quite the responsibility you have sir.
MHE is offline  
Old 06-13-2021, 09:04 PM   #103
MHE
journeyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 209
Re: Carrying a firearm at the poker table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeodan View Post
As someone who lives in Western Europe (Belgium) I've never seen a gun up close in my life, except for army troops and police (always holstered)

My 1st reaction to this thread was "wtf this is insane" people explode in my poker games all the time, who in their right mind would allow them to have a gun???

Then reading through the thread made it a bit better, I guess people who are legally allowed to carry a gun are not the kind of people who would explode and start shooting around at other people because they lost a hand of poker.

Also allowing some people to walk around with guns legally, opens up access to walk around with guns illegally.
I'd feel much safer knowing it's very hard to come by a gun. I honestly wouldn't know where to start looking.

Still, I'm now going to have to seriously re-consider moving to the USA to play poker professionally.
I used to feel the same as you, my Flemish friend. However, once I realized that in the US there are so many bad guys with guns, I felt the best way to protect myself and my family is to pack heat, which I do, legally. I also took additional courses in gun safety and shooting lessons to make sure Iím competent with the weapon and safe. I feel a lot more comfortable walking around with large sums of cash knowing that if a fool tried to Jack me, he may end up taking the room temperature challenge.
MHE is offline  
Old 06-13-2021, 09:18 PM   #104
Mr.Jones
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 388
Re: Carrying a firearm at the poker table

Delete thread please. Too much garbage instead of sticking to original topic.
Mr.Jones is offline  
Old 06-13-2021, 09:24 PM   #105
Siberian13
centurion
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 121
Re: Carrying a firearm at the poker table

I’m just picturing Yosemite Sam and Bugs Bunny at the poker table. Good stuff in here
Siberian13 is offline  
Old 06-13-2021, 09:35 PM   #106
SimpleRick
veteran
 
SimpleRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,233
Re: Carrying a firearm at the poker table

No one has answered me yet if you've ever seen someone or even heard of someone pulling a gun at a poker game. It's a non-issue and anyone who can't see that is obtuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepeeme2008 View Post
Doyle Brunson was talking about the 50's and 60's during his rounder days in Texas. That's 60 years ago. Times have changed.

Why is it so difficult to put things in proper perspective.
I'm not talking about 60 years ago, I'm talking about the present. Go read Brunson's twitter sometime he carries a gun with him wherever he goes. So the question remains, would you not play poker with Doyle Brunson because he has a gun? Me personally it wouldn't bother me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBeer View Post
Americans probably shouldn't call London "very violent" given the US murder rate is 4x the UK's. Chicago, on it's own, had more murders in 2020 than the entirety of the UK.

Another fun fact, here are some countries with lower murder rates than the US: Iran, Lebanon, Pakistan and Angola.
You are conflating a lot of things in your post.

The murder rate might be 4x higher in USA vs UK and a lot of that has to do with the fact that yes it's easier to kill someone with a gun. But the violent crime rate is something different. And the overall violent crime rate in London is about 10x higher than the overall violent crime rate in the USA.

In 2019/2020 there were 222,000 violent crimes in a city of 7million. London is a very violent city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHE View Post
I used to feel the same as you, my Flemish friend. However, once I realized that in the US there are so many bad guys with guns, I felt the best way to protect myself and my family is to pack heat, which I do, legally. I also took additional courses in gun safety and shooting lessons to make sure I’m competent with the weapon and safe. I feel a lot more comfortable walking around with large sums of cash knowing that if a fool tried to Jack me, he may end up taking the room temperature challenge.
You watch Active Self Protection on youtube? Great channel.
SimpleRick is offline  
Old 06-13-2021, 09:49 PM   #107
MHE
journeyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 209
Re: Carrying a firearm at the poker table

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleRick View Post
No one has answered me yet if you've ever seen someone or even heard of someone pulling a gun at a poker game. It's a non-issue and anyone who can't see that is obtuse.



I'm not talking about 60 years ago, I'm talking about the present. Go read Brunson's twitter sometime he carries a gun with him wherever he goes. So the question remains, would you not play poker with Doyle Brunson because he has a gun? Me personally it wouldn't bother me.



You are conflating a lot of things in your post.

The murder rate might be 4x higher in USA vs UK and a lot of that has to do with the fact that yes it's easier to kill someone with a gun. But the violent crime rate is something different. And the overall violent crime rate in London is about 10x higher than the overall violent crime rate in the USA.

In 2019/2020 there were 222,000 violent crimes in a city of 7million. London is a very violent city.



You watch Active Self Protection on youtube? Great channel.
The man is a bit overzealous, but it he does post a lot of useful information.
MHE is offline  
Old 06-13-2021, 10:04 PM   #108
ment52
veteran
 
ment52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Estonia
Posts: 2,067
Re: Carrying a firearm at the poker table

There is absolutely no way those violent crime rates share the same methodology anyway, but idk where you managed to take 10x from.


Last edited by ment52; 06-13-2021 at 10:09 PM. Reason: I'm going to assume in the US assault only recorded when someone starts blasting, while in europe every punch in a bar does
ment52 is offline  
Old 06-13-2021, 10:52 PM   #109
The Apex
veteran
 
The Apex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: nerf irelia
Posts: 3,493
Re: Carrying a firearm at the poker table

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleRick View Post
No one has answered me yet if you've ever seen someone or even heard of someone pulling a gun at a poker game. It's a non-issue and anyone who can't see that is obtuse.



I'm not talking about 60 years ago, I'm talking about the present. Go read Brunson's twitter sometime he carries a gun with him wherever he goes. So the question remains, would you not play poker with Doyle Brunson because he has a gun? Me personally it wouldn't bother me.



You are conflating a lot of things in your post.

The murder rate might be 4x higher in USA vs UK and a lot of that has to do with the fact that yes it's easier to kill someone with a gun. But the violent crime rate is something different. And the overall violent crime rate in London is about 10x higher than the overall violent crime rate in the USA.

In 2019/2020 there were 222,000 violent crimes in a city of 7million. London is a very violent city.



You watch Active Self Protection on youtube? Great channel.

Active self protection is outstanding. Anyone who lives in a jurisdiction where they are legally allowed to own a firearm should at least consider it. Having some basic knowledge of punching/kicking/grappling would be a good idea as well. Everyone has to choose for themselves what is the correct amount of money to invest in the protection of their own life. Imho it should be greater than 0.
The Apex is offline  
Old 06-13-2021, 11:01 PM   #110
Nepeeme2008
veteran
 
Nepeeme2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: In position
Posts: 2,870
Re: Carrying a firearm at the poker table

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleRick View Post


I'm not talking about 60 years ago, I'm talking about the present. Go read Brunson's twitter sometime he carries a gun with him wherever he goes. So the question remains, would you not play poker with Doyle Brunson because he has a gun? Me personally it wouldn't bother me.

No, I follow Doyle on twitter, but haven't been much of anyone on twitter of late. If that's the case, that's totally different. I had a friend who has conceal carry and sometimes packs to games. To be honest, he's a bit of a hothead and I wasn't all that comfortable with it. But no, I wouldn't care one bit about Doyle. The problem is when you're playing with a bunch of amateur strangers. That's a whole different scenario. Just do a YouTube or Google search on Casino poker room fights. Imagine those people had guns.
Nepeeme2008 is offline  
Old 06-13-2021, 11:04 PM   #111
MHE
journeyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 209
Re: Carrying a firearm at the poker table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepeeme2008 View Post
No, I follow Doyle on twitter, but haven't been much of anyone on twitter of late. If that's the case, that's totally different. I had a friend who has conceal carry and sometimes packs to games. To be honest, he's a bit of a hothead and I wasn't all that comfortable with it. But no, I wouldn't care one bit about Doyle. The problem is when you're playing with a bunch of amateur strangers. That's a whole different scenario. Just do a YouTube or Google search on Casino poker room fights. Imagine those people had guns.
Yeah. Imagine if that Aria dealer from a few months ago was strapped when he brutally attacked that player minding his own business. Peaches or something was his name. He wouldíve totally **** that dude. And taken out witnesses too.
MHE is offline  
Old 06-13-2021, 11:06 PM   #112
SimpleRick
veteran
 
SimpleRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,233
Re: Carrying a firearm at the poker table

Quote:
Originally Posted by ment52 View Post
There is absolutely no way those violent crime rates share the same methodology anyway, but idk where you managed to take 10x from.

Comparing London (a big city) to USA as a whole. Not exactly a fair comparison. But my point is that USA is not as violent as some foreigners assume. If you compare violent crime rates London and NYC are about the same.
SimpleRick is offline  
Old 06-14-2021, 02:31 AM   #113
Morphismus
BBV poker player of 2020
 
Morphismus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: noiɈɒɔo⅃
Posts: 22,278
Re: Carrying a firearm at the poker table

To be fair if Germany had the same guns laws as the US, it would be way worse than in the US. There would be murders over parking spots every week, if not every day.
Morphismus is offline  
Old 06-14-2021, 03:21 AM   #114
IQofTwoPlusTwo
grinder
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 492
Re: Carrying a firearm at the poker table

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCGWC View Post
They have signs open the door saying no weapons but concealed means concealed.
Interesting theory. Let's try it this way: Concealed means concealed but no weapons means no weapons.
IQofTwoPlusTwo is offline  
Old 06-14-2021, 05:12 AM   #115
checkraisdraw
old hand
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,263
Re: Carrying a firearm at the poker table

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHE View Post
You speak for all people from developed countries. That is quite the responsibility you have sir.
Itís quite common knowledge that people outside the US think our gun laws are terrible
checkraisdraw is offline  
Old 06-14-2021, 05:45 AM   #116
MHE
journeyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 209
Re: Carrying a firearm at the poker table

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkraisdraw View Post
Itís quite common knowledge that people outside the US think our gun laws are terrible
Youíve expanded your responsibilities to now speak for all people outside the US. That must be an exhausting responsibility, maíam.
MHE is offline  
Old 06-14-2021, 06:14 AM   #117
PTLou
JellyBean
 
PTLou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Playing Offline Poker
Posts: 4,940
Re: Carrying a firearm at the poker table

checking in on this thread to see if anything interesting posted. nah.

Cliff Notes:

MHE likes guns. MHE is "straped" and "heavy" and "packing heat". MHE's hero is Vanilla Ice the wannabe gangsta rapper. He (and others) should take their politarding to politics forum.
PTLou is offline  
Old 06-14-2021, 06:30 AM   #118
Bobo Fett
Carpe Diem
 
Bobo Fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canada, eh!
Posts: 52,108
Re: Carrying a firearm at the poker table

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHE View Post
I didn’t in Troy any political stuff. I was responding to something someone said, thank you very much.
Yeah, it's pretty clear that if this thread is off on a general gun discussion tangent, it certainly doesn't have anything to do with you. You're just responding to something someone everything everyone says.
Bobo Fett is offline  
Old 06-14-2021, 06:34 AM   #119
MHE
journeyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 209
Re: Carrying a firearm at the poker table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo Fett View Post
Yeah, it's pretty clear that if this thread is off on a general gun discussion tangent, it certainly doesn't have anything to do with you. You're just responding to something someone everything everyone says.
1. You act like Iím the only one. Go back and read all the posts, Iím not the first one to introduce the line of dialogue regarding the wisdom of US gun laws. You come off as a bitter Canadian who is jealous of our freedoms.
2. You say nothing of the personal insults lobbed at me yet I have not lowered myself to that level.
MHE is offline  
Old 06-14-2021, 06:36 AM   #120
MHE
journeyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 209
Re: Carrying a firearm at the poker table

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTLou View Post
checking in on this thread to see if anything interesting posted. nah.

Cliff Notes:

MHE likes guns. MHE is "straped" and "heavy" and "packing heat". MHE's hero is Vanilla Ice the wannabe gangsta rapper. He (and others) should take their politarding to politics forum.
Iíve never said I like guns. I do, however, see the wisdom of a force multiplier seeing that I live in a country with lots of people who are prone to violence as well as I tend to carry large sums of cash money on my person. I own very few guns, 2 pistols and two rifles. Iím not a hunter nor a shooter for sport. I merely protect myself in certain situations. No need to demonize me.
MHE is offline  
Old 06-14-2021, 06:54 AM   #121
PTLou
JellyBean
 
PTLou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Playing Offline Poker
Posts: 4,940
Re: Carrying a firearm at the poker table

ice ice baby

allan kessler has never actually "said" he likes free buffet tickets, but its pretty obvious he does.
PTLou is offline  
Old 06-14-2021, 07:07 AM   #122
checkraisdraw
old hand
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,263
Re: Carrying a firearm at the poker table

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHE View Post
Youíve expanded your responsibilities to now speak for all people outside the US. That must be an exhausting responsibility, maíam.
If you had confidence in your position you wouldnít be so bad faith and pedantic. Just compare European gun control laws to the US and youíll see a stark contrast.

However you are right in some respect, in that actually a majority of the United States supports stricter gun control laws too. We just happen to have a system of government where laws are difficult to pass.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/1645/guns.aspx
checkraisdraw is offline  
Old 06-14-2021, 07:28 AM   #123
MHE
journeyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 209
Re: Carrying a firearm at the poker table

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkraisdraw View Post
If you had confidence in your position you wouldnít be so bad faith and pedantic. Just compare European gun control laws to the US and youíll see a stark contrast.

However you are right in some respect, in that actually a majority of the United States supports stricter gun control laws too. We just happen to have a system of government where laws are difficult to pass.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/1645/guns.aspx
Iíve always supported responsible gun ownership. Iíve long been in favor of thorough background checks and mandatory education of gun safety. I could probably even get behind broad licensure. Do not try to distort my positions.
MHE is offline  
Old 06-14-2021, 07:29 AM   #124
MHE
journeyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 209
Re: Carrying a firearm at the poker table

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTLou View Post
ice ice baby

allan kessler has never actually "said" he likes free buffet tickets, but its pretty obvious he does.
My body count cannot be compared to a morbidly obese man at a Chinese buffet. You need to up your trolling game.
MHE is offline  
Old 06-14-2021, 08:39 AM   #125
+rep_lol
El Guapo
 
+rep_lol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 14,880
Re: Carrying a firearm at the poker table

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchOnDaRocks View Post
Whatever suits you, go ahead

But I seriously doubt that the average law abiding gun holder is shaking in his boots without one. They just have a different philosophy to life than you do, to never ever live at the whims of others.
real men are born with fists, not straps on their ankles
+rep_lol is offline  

Closed Thread
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive