Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

News, Views, Gossip and Books For poker news, views, gossip and books.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2021, 01:12 PM   #26
Dream Crusher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dream Crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Dallas
Posts: 15,662
Re: Burglar who robbed Chad Power of $1 million sent to jail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchOnDaRocks View Post
Yeah good point but home invasion scenario could possibly entail them waiting for you outside and making you take care of security system
We were talking about a scenario where they enter the premises and discover a safe that is too heavy to move. In that scenario, I'd welcome them to wait around at my house, inside or out.

Regardless, if someone is waiting outside your property you'd be wise not to drive up without backup. If you have a propensity to carry large amounts of cash on you you should probably live in a place where there aren't many lurkers and a where a random car or person will stick out like a sore thumb.
Dream Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 01:23 PM   #27
ScotchOnDaRocks
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: SealsWithClubs
Posts: 2,771
Re: Burglar who robbed Chad Power of $1 million sent to jail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Crusher View Post
We were talking about a scenario where they enter the premises and discover a safe that is too heavy to move. In that scenario, I'd welcome them to wait around at my house, inside or out.

Regardless, if someone is waiting outside your property you'd be wise not to drive up without backup. If you have a propensity to carry large amounts of cash on you you should probably live in a place where there aren't many lurkers and a where a random car or person will stick out like a sore thumb.
Yes, but they could always leave and then come back
ScotchOnDaRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 01:33 PM   #28
Dream Crusher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dream Crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Dallas
Posts: 15,662
Re: Burglar who robbed Chad Power of $1 million sent to jail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchOnDaRocks View Post
Yes, but they could always leave and then come back
That's far less of a threat than if they just did a home invasion in the first place. By leaving and coming back they've completely lost the element of surprise.
Dream Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 02:33 PM   #29
ScotchOnDaRocks
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: SealsWithClubs
Posts: 2,771
Re: Burglar who robbed Chad Power of $1 million sent to jail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Crusher View Post
That's far less of a threat than if they just did a home invasion in the first place. By leaving and coming back they've completely lost the element of surprise.
Depending how they got in you might not even know they were there, and even if you had warning there might not be much you could do about it

Unless he armed himself but most poker players these days don’t do that I’d guess
ScotchOnDaRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 02:41 PM   #30
Dream Crusher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dream Crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Dallas
Posts: 15,662
Re: Burglar who robbed Chad Power of $1 million sent to jail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchOnDaRocks View Post
Depending how they got in you might not even know they were there, and even if you had warning there might not be much you could do about it
Sure, if you are doing everything wrong. However, if you are doing things right then you will have cameras alerting you anytime someone steps foot on your property (or are close to your property, depending on the layout)..
Dream Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:01 PM   #31
SplawnDarts
veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,113
Re: Burglar who robbed Chad Power of $1 million sent to jail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchOnDaRocks View Post
Yeah good point but home invasion scenario could possibly entail them waiting for you outside and making you take care of security system
Seriously, this is NOT a new problem. Stop trying to re-solve it. Every jeweler in the world has already solved it and you would be wise to learn from them.
  • Have cameras and an alarm system
  • Keep the valuables in a UL-rated safe with a time rating longer than your alarm response time
  • Have a silent alarm as part of the safe, so that when you open the safe, there's a way to trigger an armed response while opening it
  • Have good physical security so there's a time gap between someone trying to get in, and getting in
  • Have a suitable gun and know how to use it.

If they show up any you're not home, they set off the alarm and may find the safe but won't mess with it because they know they're on the clock.

If they show up and you are home, hopefully the physical security is good enough they bail or that you get to play shoot-a-thug. But if you get caught unaware, let them force you to open the safe, use the silent alarm, and there's a very good chance they get caught.

Certainly there's nothing wrong with using cages or banks, but if you decide not to this is well traveled ground.
SplawnDarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:15 PM   #32
ScotchOnDaRocks
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: SealsWithClubs
Posts: 2,771
Re: Burglar who robbed Chad Power of $1 million sent to jail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplawnDarts View Post
Seriously, this is NOT a new problem. Stop trying to re-solve it. Every jeweler in the world has already solved it and you would be wise to learn from them.
  • Have cameras and an alarm system
  • Keep the valuables in a UL-rated safe with a time rating longer than your alarm response time
  • Have a silent alarm as part of the safe, so that when you open the safe, there's a way to trigger an armed response while opening it
  • Have good physical security so there's a time gap between someone trying to get in, and getting in
  • Have a suitable gun and know how to use it.



If they show up any you're not home, they set off the alarm and may find the safe but won't mess with it because they know they're on the clock.

If they show up and you are home, hopefully the physical security is good enough they bail or that you get to play shoot-a-thug. But if you get caught unaware, let them force you to open the safe, use the silent alarm, and there's a very good chance they get caught.

Certainly there's nothing wrong with using cages or banks, but if you decide not to this is well traveled ground.
Iím not trying to resolve anything, but the five seconds of thought I put into this earlier would solve a lot of issues though

I will say that I would value coming out of the affair alive more than them getting caught. So I still like the thought of quickly getting them a smaller amount and out the door as opposed to what, the silent alarm going off, and then you are in the house with them with the police outside?
ScotchOnDaRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 09:46 PM   #33
LOLOL
centurion
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 132
Re: Burglar who robbed Chad Power of $1 million sent to jail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplawnDarts View Post
But if you get caught unaware, let them force you to open the safe, use the silent alarm, and there's a very good chance they get caught.
There's some chance, maybe better than a coinflip, but I don't know if its a 'very good' one.

It doesn't take very long to empty a safe and zip tie a dude. If the alarm is triggered upon the safe opening, they can be out of there in under a minute or two, if they know what they're after... and if they're planners and aware of the various trip-ups that tend to catch people who garner a lot of post-crime scrutiny, they'll already be aware of things like TLO and how that relates to their getaway... and we live in an era where wearing masks is A-OK.

I dunno man. If someone gets the drop on your and makes you open a safe, I'm thinking at that point, you basically lose, even if you live.
LOLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 01:05 AM   #34
smoothcriminal99
adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,169
Re: Burglar who robbed Chad Power of $1 million sent to jail

Waiting for the thread where a player gets killed because the robber couldn’t get into their safe before they got home so he panicked and shot them so everyone can tell him how stupid he was for having such a secure safe.

On a serious note I do keep a decoy safe though that isn’t very secure or well hidden in hopes robbers take that and leave to open it later to find nothing.

Last edited by smoothcriminal99; 05-22-2021 at 01:20 AM.
smoothcriminal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 02:18 AM   #35
RJT
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: East of Eden
Posts: 3,571
Re: Burglar who robbed Chad Power of $1 million sent to jail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Crusher View Post
Where did Chad get his safe from, Office Depot? I have a small 900lb safe bolted to the house foundation...
How can a 900# safe be small and why would it need to be bolted to the foundation?
RJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 03:52 AM   #36
ProffesionalMalaka
journeyman
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 249
Re: Burglar who robbed Chad Power of $1 million sent to jail

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothcriminal99 View Post
Waiting for the thread where a player gets killed because the robber couldnít get into their safe before they got home so he panicked and shot them so everyone can tell him how stupid he was for having such a secure safe.

On a serious note I do keep a decoy safe though that isnít very secure or well hidden in hopes robbers take that and leave to open it later to find nothing.
Thanks for telling us.
ProffesionalMalaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 04:59 AM   #37
onedollars
grinder
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 470
Re: Burglar who robbed Chad Power of $1 million sent to jail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT View Post
How can a 900# safe be small and why would it need to be bolted to the foundation?
Steel is extremely dense at almost 500 pounds per cubic foot. That's basicallly an 18 inch cube with 2 inch thick walls.

You bolt the safe into the foundation because with the help of machines, thieves can easily carry a 900+ pound safe to a location where they can take their sweet time getting it open
onedollars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 07:56 AM   #38
venice10
Referee
 
venice10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nowhere special
Posts: 24,654
Re: Burglar who robbed Chad Power of $1 million sent to jail

Real solution is to keep the money in the banking system. Then you don't have to a sophisticated security system or worry about getting tortured to open your safe.

Only reason to keep $1 million at home earning nothing is to evade taxes. That is more difficult to do once you make headlines in the news.
venice10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:45 AM   #39
Dochrohan
Pooh-Bah
 
Dochrohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Somewhere else
Posts: 4,194
Re: Burglar who robbed Chad Power of $1 million sent to jail

It sucks he got robbed but it's also a good reminder that if you don't protect yourself on the simplest of levels, especially dealing with physical cash/goods at some point your vulnerabilities might get taken advantage of.

Add in the fact a lot of people are big into social media and showcasing their lifestyle to the general public makes them a more commonly targeted person. Robbing someone with limited security measures and lots of cash is a whale in the criminal world.

It sucks, but until policing progress to a point where it's entirely deterred or the world of making money is easier. You'll always have crime and have to do your due diligence.
Dochrohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:36 AM   #40
Dream Crusher
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dream Crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Dallas
Posts: 15,662
Re: Burglar who robbed Chad Power of $1 million sent to jail

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice10 View Post
Real solution is to keep the money in the banking system. Then you don't have to a sophisticated security system or worry about getting tortured to open your safe.

Only reason to keep $1 million at home earning nothing is to evade taxes. That is more difficult to do once you make headlines in the news.
That's not true at all. The reason to keep $1 million is for easy access to play poker. Keeping it in the banking system doesn't provide that. Imagine there's a big home game running at 8pm on a Saturday. If all your money is tied up in the banking system then you're screwed. Banking hours tend not to be in line with poker hours.
Dream Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:58 AM   #41
squid face
ChatThreadPrez
 
squid face's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: grabbin c-notes from the money tree
Posts: 10,116
Re: Burglar who robbed Chad Power of $1 million sent to jail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Crusher View Post
That's not true at all. The reason to keep $1 million is for easy access to play poker. Keeping it in the banking system doesn't provide that. Imagine there's a big home game running at 8pm on a Saturday. If all your money is tied up in the banking system then you're screwed. Banking hours tend not to be in line with poker hours.

if only they had 24 hour safe deposit boxes in vegas. Maybe someday sum 1 will think of that
squid face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 12:48 PM   #42
ScotchOnDaRocks
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: SealsWithClubs
Posts: 2,771
Re: Burglar who robbed Chad Power of $1 million sent to jail

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid face View Post
if only they had 24 hour safe deposit boxes in vegas. Maybe someday sum 1 will think of that
seems like there would be a market for it
ScotchOnDaRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 12:56 PM   #43
LOLOL
centurion
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 132
Re: Burglar who robbed Chad Power of $1 million sent to jail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dochrohan View Post

Add in the fact a lot of people are big into social media and showcasing their lifestyle to the general public makes them a more commonly targeted person.
Anyone who has B- level Google/Data Acquisition skills can get anyone's home address.

Guys who have A+ level data acquisition skills and know how to leverage use of 3rd party data brokers, etc, can get horrifyingly accurate personal information, including real time stuff.

It all goes back to people being naive; if you were raised in the cul-de-sac, when it comes to situational awareness, you're like one of those extinct flightless island birds who had no natural predators, that would walk up to starving sailors who just landed ashore and promptly be clobbered and eaten. People who are naive tend to be incredibly reckless with their actions, since they've never met the kinds of people who respond to said actions in a rather scary way.

In the information age, wealth privacy is many many many many times more important. The same information that lets you brag to the world also empowers someone who would take what you have to find out where you live.
LOLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 12:58 PM   #44
LOLOL
centurion
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 132
Re: Burglar who robbed Chad Power of $1 million sent to jail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT View Post
How can a 900# safe be small and why would it need to be bolted to the foundation?
They're not small but they're movable with two guys and an appliance dolly (or, they come out the same way they went in)

You bolt it to the floor since it makes it just that much harder to get out the door with.
LOLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 09:59 PM   #45
madmansam
adept
 
madmansam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,148
Re: Burglar who robbed Chad Power of $1 million sent to jail

Chad power is idiot.
1.obv should have 10 ton safe with only $100 in it.
2. hide the rest in sock drawer.
3. give robber the code to safe and say downswing/crypto took the rest.
4. ???
5. Profit
madmansam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:45 PM   #46
AllinPoker
journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 359
Re: Burglar who robbed Chad Power of $1 million sent to jail

I lived with some high stakes poker players in vegas before...

They had really fancy big safes bolted into the floors very nicely installed and boxes at the casinos plus the banks, big amounts invested in the markets, etc...It's not that they are evading taxes to keep so much at home but banks are not always open and money kind of flows around and shows up unexpected especially the bigger you play when you loan big amounts or if a horse wins big and brings you money. Big Private game that pays you out in cash at night or something. You never delay to get paid out big when the offer is on the table because it's night time and the bank is closed. if the guy is robbed, or in jail or dead the next day and you will never get paid and that's happened plenty of times to a lot of people in the gambling world
AllinPoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 12:19 AM   #47
jcorb
veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: banishment land
Posts: 2,386
Re: Burglar who robbed Chad Power of $1 million sent to jail

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice10 View Post
Real solution is to keep the money in the banking system. Only reason to keep $1 million at home earning nothing is to evade taxes. That is more difficult to do once you make headlines in the news.
this. all cheaters don't look at their cell phone in the crotch. Al Capone went to Alcatraz for being a tax cheat.
jcorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:41 PM   #48
deuceblocker
veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 2,183
Re: Burglar who robbed Chad Power of $1 million sent to jail

There must be some big private games in Vegas. The games at casinos are mostly not high enough stakes that you would need to have $1 million in cash available.

This isn't the first robbery of a poker pro's home. https://lasvegassun.com/news/1998/ap...-by-armed-men/
deuceblocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 12:22 PM   #49
News777
adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 712
Re: Burglar who robbed Chad Power of $1 million sent to jail

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid face View Post
if only they had 24 hour safe deposit boxes in vegas. Maybe someday sum 1 will think of that
Didn't you read my previous post in the thread. There was a 24/7 Private Vault and a whole handful of boxes were broken into. You are essentially trusting a private individual other than a bank to oversee the security of your box. He has nothing to lose other than his business. What are you going to sue him for. You can't prove the contents of your box. How many bank safe deposit vaults are broken into. I think I have read a story about once every two decades. The Private Vault in Las Vegas wasn't the only vault that was burglarized. There was a vault in Fort Lauderdale that was hit around 25 years ago. There was also a Private Vault in Beverly Hills, in that case the feds this year seized every box. To reclaim the property you have to prove that everything in the box was yours. Try to doing that when it comes to cash, gold, rare coins and jewelry. You might have a chance with the jewelry if you can show a receipt where you purchased the rings or bracelets.
News777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 05:00 AM   #50
Donk2
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 18
Re: Burglar who robbed Chad Power of $1 million sent to jail

Why is it not mentioned b4 he was robbed in his home in Washington. This guy has been involved in quite a few candles as well ,ice tea scam , staking bs controversy, cheating and colluding alligations , card counting and more
Donk2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive