Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Politics and Society Contentions, Controversies, and Conflicts

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM   #176
Luckbox Inc
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Luckbox Inc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 37,968
Re: Trump vs. CNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet work View Post
I feel like I remember that moniker from at least back around ExxonValdez maybe?? It's been around a long time either way.
Neither google ngram nor the coca (corpus of contemporary american english) has any hits but a google search shows a handful using the term. I've never heard it anywhere else though.
Luckbox Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM   #177
neverbeclever
adept
 
neverbeclever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: non us
Posts: 997
Re: Trump vs. CNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2_e4 View Post
No, I can't, but you can, so go for it!
I cant receive Fox, so no.
Besides that i think i would not receive all that post counts like i do now.
Ok...i admit...some posts are troll posts...but hey...a post is a post imo!

But seriously, im here just for CNN...not Trump.
You are here for Trump...not CNN.

But keep it up imo...lets run up the post count to the max!
neverbeclever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM   #178
neverbeclever
adept
 
neverbeclever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: non us
Posts: 997
Re: Trump vs. CNN

Actually...i should have named this topic just ''CNN''.
It's ridiculous how they handle CV as well.
neverbeclever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM   #179
redbuck
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: S GA
Posts: 3,719
Re: Trump vs. CNN

CNN (or the Communist News Network as we call it here) blows.

I hope you get "credit" for this post before wn deletes it...
redbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM   #180
d2_e4
old hand
 
d2_e4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,836
Re: Trump vs. CNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbuck View Post
CNN (or the Communist News Network as we call it here) blows.

I hope you get "credit" for this post before wn deletes it...
Little known fact - CNN had its humble beginnings in Nazi Germany under Hitler as the "Socialist News Network" (SNN), but then they flipped the Latin "S" to a Cyrillic "C" in honour of the communist motherland, and it became the channel we all know and love today.

Last edited by d2_e4; Yesterday at 11:23 AM.
d2_e4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM   #181
redbuck
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: S GA
Posts: 3,719
Re: Trump vs. CNN

You forgot Ted Turner's input...
redbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM   #182
wet work
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
wet work's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,392
Re: Trump vs. CNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckbox Inc View Post
Neither google ngram nor the coca (corpus of contemporary american english) has any hits but a google search shows a handful using the term. I've never heard it anywhere else though.
Might just be related to growing up so close to/spending so much time around/having so many friends from DC. A decent chunk of the friends I grew up around ended up being activists of one stripe or another. So those kinda terms were always floating around. But some of those same kids grew up and ended up being directly/partly responsible for getting laws changed around the country.
wet work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM   #183
neverbeclever
adept
 
neverbeclever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: non us
Posts: 997
Re: Trump vs. CNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbuck View Post
CNN (or the Communist News Network as we call it here) blows.
Ok tnx, so its not only me lol.
neverbeclever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM   #184
tame_deuces
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
tame_deuces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,663
Re: Trump vs. CNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverbeclever View Post
[...]
Go to Europe...and experience how press/media was 30 years ago.
Whats normal for u guys...its absurd over here.
[...]
Sure, Americans love TV / video pundits, while in Europe visual punditry is generally seen as a bit awkward and embarrassing.

But European media has been writing editorials and opinions pieces for as long as we have had media, and regular OpEd writers on hire is a long-standing media tradition. The US simply took the concept to the TV screen.

And I don't think European media today really resembles US media 30 years ago. The traditions are actually fairly different. In Europe news anchors are mostly just "a person reading the news". In the US they got the "Walter Chronchite" tradition, TV and news personalities which rose to prominence and did not just read the news, but would indeed sometimes also write editorials and comments on current events.
tame_deuces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM   #185
Willd
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Willd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,434
Re: Trump vs. CNN

My 2 line summary would be that cable news networks in the US frequently blur the lines between news and opinion to the point that it can become (intentionally) misleading. It is certainly not specific to CNN or other "left" leaning networks and Fox is the worst culprit of the major networks by a distance.

I'm going to quote this again though because it's the best post in the thread by many orders of magnitude:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tame_deuces View Post
While there is certainly bad media in this world, this sentiment is largely one pushed by the kind of leaders (and their underlings) which don't particularly like that anyone looks at what they *do*, generally preferring that we just listen to what they *say*. From the all-out genocidal maniacs like Stalin, Hitler, Xi Jinping and Pol Pot, through the runner-ups like Putin, Erdogan, Netanyahu and Obahn, and all the way down to the wannabes like Duterte, Trump, Bolsonaro or Chavez. They all thrive on making people listen to only them.

And generally if your world view falls under the category of just categorically stating "the media is corrupt", there are three likely reasons:

a) You fell for the formerly described propaganda.
b) Your worldview is of the type that feels very uncomfortable when somebody shines facts or logic on it.
c) You are intellectually lazy.

Now there is no single media that trumps all. You have to read several, and you need to couple it with fact-checking (encyclopedias, scholarly articles, reputable surveys and so forth). There is no lazy way to become informed. And contrary to popular belief, there never has been.

A quick solution for which media to not read are:
a) Those that don't specifically flag opinionated pieces as opinion pieces or editorials
b) Those that don't do retractment.
c) Those which don't have disclosed ownership.
d) Those who are sponsored by private individuals, political groups or governments with very strong and specific political beliefs.
e) Those that don't have editorial freedom.

Generally, you will find that many of the more dubious media ticks several of the boxes above. These are things that tend to go hand in hand. As for bias, that bias is somehow the big problem is overblown. It's when the bias is coupled with bad media practice or poor ethics you have an issue. A communist-leaning newspaper can write good articles, and so can a pro-capitalism one - as long as they abide by decent press ethics.
Willd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM   #186
tame_deuces
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
tame_deuces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,663
Re: Trump vs. CNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willd View Post
My 2 line summary would be that cable news networks in the US frequently blur the lines between news and opinion to the point that it can become (intentionally) misleading. It is certainly not specific to CNN or other "left" leaning networks and Fox is the worst culprit of the major networks by a distance. [...]
That would be my observation as well. Punditry is often take to extreme levels.

And if neverbeclever raises one good point, it is that it is indeed problematic if the news anchor is also a pundit. Then it becomes difficult to tell the news apart from the opinion, like you say here.
tame_deuces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:44 PM   #187
neverbeclever
adept
 
neverbeclever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: non us
Posts: 997
Re: Trump vs. CNN

Hi guys,
Thank u all for shining lights on this subject!

U have to understand this though:
In EU its not like: im a lefty so i tune into this channel, im a righty so i tune into that channel. (markets are much smaller due to languages)

If i had that option that would not be a bad thing at all!

Its just that it works different here in EU, and what for u guys is normal, is not heard of here. (Hence my confusion)

Also, CNN is like the largest news media worldwide...therefore i found it strange they take sides. (should be objective in this case imo)

But anyway, im a righty and all that i guess.
The thing is this: if you are a lefty and watch CNN, u gotta know u r being spoon fed right? (could be the same on Fox ofcourse)
Its just an avalanche of things u wanna hear if u are a lefty.

On the other hand u cant even watch it as a righty or a Trumpy.

Not even talking CV...they feast on it.
Not to mention CV+Trump.

Also this Arbery situation...hes black so he must be victim/innocent.
I do not know the exact situation...but they bring it like its case closed...but that could be just me.

Anyway, watching CNN for me has become a complete joke.
Thing is they have the power to ''infect'' nation-, worldwide.

Guess its part of the ''new reality''.
neverbeclever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:50 PM   #188
ChiddyBang
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,598
Re: Trump vs. CNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverbeclever View Post
Hi guys,
Thank u all for shining lights on this subject!

U have to understand this though:
In EU its not like: im a lefty so i tune into this channel, im a righty so i tune into that channel. (markets are much smaller due to languages)

If i had that option that would not be a bad thing at all!

Its just that it works different here in EU, and what for u guys is normal, is not heard of here. (Hence my confusion)

Also, CNN is like the largest news media worldwide...therefore i found it strange they take sides. (should be objective in this case imo)

But anyway, im a righty and all that i guess.
The thing is this: if you are a lefty and watch CNN, u gotta know u r being spoon fed right? (could be the same on Fox ofcourse)
Its just an avalanche of things u wanna hear if u are a lefty.

On the other hand u cant even watch it as a righty or a Trumpy.

Not even talking CV...they feast on it.
Not to mention CV+Trump.

Also this Arbery situation...hes black so he must be victim/innocent.
I do not know the exact situation...but they bring it like its case closed...but that could be just me.

Anyway, watching CNN for me has become a complete joke.
Thing is they have the power to ''infect'' nation-, worldwide.

Guess its part of the ''new reality''.
They are going for clicks and views. Same with fox, MSNBC, the entire corporate press. They are not trying to be subjective.
ChiddyBang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM   #189
d2_e4
old hand
 
d2_e4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,836
Re: Trump vs. CNN

OP, what are your views on climate change? Do you think it is a leftist conspiracy?
d2_e4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:01 PM   #190
goofyballer
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
goofyballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 67,099
Re: Trump vs. CNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverbeclever View Post
Also this Arbery situation...hes black so he must be victim/innocent.
It's good to see WN has learned from PU7.0
goofyballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:47 PM   #191
MrWookie
Don't Call Me Meredith
 
MrWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Treating my drinking problem.
Posts: 91,567
Re: Trump vs. CNN

Everyone knows that it's a liberal media conspiracy to suggest that a black man might be innocent after getting murdered
MrWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:48 PM   #192
Smudger2408
old hand
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1,204
Re: Trump vs. CNN

What did I miss?
Smudger2408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:49 PM   #193
neverbeclever
adept
 
neverbeclever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: non us
Posts: 997
Re: Trump vs. CNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2_e4 View Post
OP, what are your views on climate change? Do you think it is a leftist conspiracy?
I dont know...but i will let u know as soon CNN launches the ''climate crisis''.
neverbeclever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:40 AM   #194
neverbeclever
adept
 
neverbeclever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: non us
Posts: 997
Re: Trump vs. CNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyballer View Post
It's good to see WN has learned from PU7.0
I was just/only saying CNN did not showed all sides of the story.
I mean...he must have done something to piss these guys off right?
Its like: innocent black guy is just jogging, minding his own...and Bam...he gets killed for no reason at all.

Anyway, thats how i interpreted it when i watched it...

I follow it a little bit on 2p2...but it occurs hes been charged at some point for having a gun and what not.
What im saying is: there are possible 2 or more sides to this tragic...but CNN only covered one in that broadcast i watched. (while on 2p2 it was already known he might be not as clean as he looked?)
neverbeclever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:47 AM   #195
goofyballer
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
goofyballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 67,099
Re: Trump vs. CNN

You might even say, he was no angel!
goofyballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:50 AM   #196
neverbeclever
adept
 
neverbeclever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: non us
Posts: 997
Re: Trump vs. CNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiddyBang View Post
They are going for clicks and views. Same with fox, MSNBC, the entire corporate press. They are not trying to be subjective.
They are super super objective!!!...(but only for their target audience-)
clicks and views...its sad.
If Trumps wins and overcomes the crises...and 75% all of a sudden is pro-Trump...they will change the recipe.
neverbeclever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:03 AM   #197
neverbeclever
adept
 
neverbeclever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: non us
Posts: 997
Re: Trump vs. CNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyballer View Post
You might even say, he was no angel!
To his mom he was in that broadcast!
To CNN he was in that broadcast!
neverbeclever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:24 AM   #198
markksman
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
markksman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Unstuckpolitics.com
Posts: 19,447
Re: Trump vs. CNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckbox Inc View Post
They'll find a way to make it about Trump in any thread you started. Many of them didn't even know there was a such a thing called politics until Trump was elected. So don't kick yourself too much there.
What is the title of this thread knucklehead?
markksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:32 AM   #199
markksman
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
markksman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Unstuckpolitics.com
Posts: 19,447
Re: Trump vs. CNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverbeclever View Post
I was just/only saying CNN did not showed all sides of the story.
I mean...he must have done something to piss these guys off right?
Its like: innocent black guy is just jogging, minding his own...and Bam...he gets killed for no reason at all.

Anyway, thats how i interpreted it when i watched it...

I follow it a little bit on 2p2...but it occurs hes been charged at some point for having a gun and what not.
What im saying is: there are possible 2 or more sides to this tragic...but CNN only covered one in that broadcast i watched. (while on 2p2 it was already known he might be not as clean as he looked?)
What are the ways he might have pissed off three white guys to cause them to murder him? Give some plausible examples, otherwise you just...
markksman is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online