Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Politics and Society Contentions, Controversies, and Conflicts

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2020, 03:08 PM   #601
lagtight
Pooh-Bah
 
lagtight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 5,121
Re: framing the abortion debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cut View Post
The difference is that one is deceptive by design and the other is not. You are indeed free to continue using your wicked deception. Or we could have a rational debate using the terminology of (pro- or anti-) abortion-rights. This is not a religion forum. The political/legal issue is abortion rights.
Fair enough.
lagtight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:11 PM   #602
lagtight
Pooh-Bah
 
lagtight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 5,121
Re: framing the abortion debate

How about this:

"When ought it be legally permissible to terminate a living organism that has the DNA of a homosapian?"
lagtight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:12 PM   #603
d2_e4
Pooh-Bah
 
d2_e4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 5,103
Re: framing the abortion debate

Out of curiosity, what are your views on euthanasia, and briefly, why?
d2_e4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:15 PM   #604
lagtight
Pooh-Bah
 
lagtight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 5,121
Re: framing the abortion debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2_e4 View Post
Out of curiosity, what are your views on euthanasia, and briefly, why?
I don't want to derail this thread. If you start a euthanasia thread, I will participate.

I don't have a firm position on that topic .
lagtight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:16 PM   #605
d2_e4
Pooh-Bah
 
d2_e4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 5,103
Re: framing the abortion debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagtight View Post
I don't want to derail this thread. If you start a euthenasia thread, I will participate.

I don't have a firm position on that topic .
Well, it's sort of relevant, as there are some parallels that can be drawn, no?
d2_e4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:17 PM   #606
lagtight
Pooh-Bah
 
lagtight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 5,121
Re: framing the abortion debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2_e4 View Post
Well, it's sort of relevant, as there are some parallels that can be drawn, no?
I agree it's relevant somewhat, but I don't want to discuss it in THIS thread.
lagtight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:19 PM   #607
lagtight
Pooh-Bah
 
lagtight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 5,121
Re: framing the abortion debate

Since this is a POLITICS thread, I will endeavor to focus on that aspect of the abortion issue.
lagtight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:21 PM   #608
lagtight
Pooh-Bah
 
lagtight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 5,121
Re: framing the abortion debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookie View Post
That's an interesting definition of choice you have there. It also appears you believe myths about abortion.
My sources are counselors who have counseled women who have had abortions.
lagtight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:23 PM   #609
d2_e4
Pooh-Bah
 
d2_e4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 5,103
Re: framing the abortion debate

Well yeah, but religious zealotry permeates every aspect of American politics, and possibly none more so than this one, so any discussion of the motivations behind opposition to abortion would necessitate a discussion of religious beliefs.
d2_e4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:28 PM   #610
wet work
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
wet work's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7,509
Re: framing the abortion debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagtight View Post
How about this:

"When ought it be legally permissible to terminate a living organism that has the DNA of a homosapian?"
Or how about this--If I go dust off my fb acct I could point out to you numerous 'pro-life' Rs I grew up with who I know for an absolute fact have had/paid for multiple abortions. Why should they be able to lecture me/the rest of us on morality(0+vasectomy after 2 kids)? By their own definition they're 'serial killers' so forgive me for not trusting their judgement
wet work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:29 PM   #611
Max Cut
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Max Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12,878
Re: framing the abortion debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagtight View Post
How about this:

"When ought it be legally permissible to terminate a living organism that has the DNA of a homosapian?"
Let's not beat around the bush and just get to the pertinent point, which I have already given my opinion on in this thread (iirc). I think for abortion rights, termination of a pregnancy after conception should be legally permissible and terminating a pregnancy just before birth should not (with compelling medical reasons excepted). I don't know precisely where the cutoff should be and defer to medical experts.
Max Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:30 PM   #612
lagtight
Pooh-Bah
 
lagtight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 5,121
Re: framing the abortion debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2_e4 View Post
Well yeah, but religious zealotry permeates every aspect of American politics, and possibly none more so than this one, so any discussion of the motivations behind opposition to abortion would necessitate a discussion of religious beliefs.
For the record, I confess to being a zealot for Jesus Christ.
lagtight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:31 PM   #613
d2_e4
Pooh-Bah
 
d2_e4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 5,103
Re: framing the abortion debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagtight View Post
For the record, I confess to being a zealot for Jesus Christ.
Yeah, buddy, that ain't news.
d2_e4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:31 PM   #614
Max Cut
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Max Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12,878
Re: framing the abortion debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagtight View Post
I agree it's relevant somewhat, but I don't want to discuss it in THIS thread.
Well it does go directly to the question you posed.
Max Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:36 PM   #615
lagtight
Pooh-Bah
 
lagtight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 5,121
Re: framing the abortion debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet work View Post
Or how about this--If I go dust off my fb acct I could point out to you numerous 'pro-life' Rs I grew up with who I know for an absolute fact have had/paid for multiple abortions. Why should they be able to lecture me/the rest of us on morality(0+vasectomy after 2 kids)? By their own definition they're 'serial killers' so forgive me for not trusting their judgement
"Some professing vegans secretly eat scrambled eggs for breakfast.

"Therefore, what these hypocrite vegans have to say about the health benefits of veganism should be summarily ignored."
lagtight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:40 PM   #616
Max Cut
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Max Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12,878
Re: framing the abortion debate

yeah, assuming that's all you know about them, get your info about veganism health benefits somewhere else, in my opinion. Is that not like duh obvious. You don't go anti-veganism just because of it either, which may be what you are implying.
Max Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:41 PM   #617
wet work
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
wet work's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7,509
Re: framing the abortion debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagtight View Post
"Some professing vegans secretly eat scrambled eggs for breakfast.

"Therefore, what these hypocrite vegans have to say about the health benefits of veganism should be summarily ignored."
More like--do as I say not as I do. I think I'm so special I should be able to force people to follow rules I couldn't follow myself. Not 1 thing is stopping you or them from adding zero to the total.
wet work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:42 PM   #618
lagtight
Pooh-Bah
 
lagtight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 5,121
Re: framing the abortion debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cut View Post
Well it does go directly to the question you posed.
You're right. My response was before I proposed my resolution.

I will shortly propose a slightly modified resolution to keep the focus on abortion.

Edit:. I messed up the timeline in this thread. Hard to do this on my phone. Will post later.
lagtight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:57 PM   #619
lagtight
Pooh-Bah
 
lagtight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 5,121
Re: framing the abortion debate

Revised Proposed Question:

"When ought it be legally permissible to terminate the life of a living organism in the womb of a homosapian if the organism has the DNA of a homosapian."
lagtight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:58 PM   #620
d2_e4
Pooh-Bah
 
d2_e4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 5,103
Re: framing the abortion debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagtight View Post
Revised Proposed Question:

"When ought it be legally permissible to terminate the life of a living organism in the womb of a homosapian if the organism has the DNA of a homosapian."
Lol at you trying to sound all smart. What other DNA would it have?

Edit: since you want to get all technical and ****, it's "Homo sapien". With an E. And a space. And capitalised.

Last edited by d2_e4; 05-04-2020 at 04:05 PM.
d2_e4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:59 PM   #621
lagtight
Pooh-Bah
 
lagtight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 5,121
Re: framing the abortion debate

Will continue discussing this tonight or tomorrow.
lagtight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:02 PM   #622
lagtight
Pooh-Bah
 
lagtight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 5,121
Re: framing the abortion debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2_e4 View Post
Lol at you trying to sound all smart. What other DNA would it have?
Corona Virus.

See ya!
lagtight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:09 PM   #623
MrWookie
Don't Call Me Meredith
 
MrWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Treating my drinking problem.
Posts: 93,582
Re: framing the abortion debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagtight View Post
My sources are counselors who have counseled women who have had abortions.
That wasn't the part I was disputing.
MrWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:59 PM   #624
David Sklansky
Administrator
 
David Sklansky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 15,672
Re: Antifa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagtight View Post
Killing animals for food is fine. Many animals were created for that purpose.
.
What do you think is the difference in average IQs or other measures of intelligence, between those who are quite sure that the above is true and those who are quite sure it isn't?
David Sklansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:52 PM   #625
lagtight
Pooh-Bah
 
lagtight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 5,121
Re: Antifa

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sklansky View Post
What do you think is the difference in average IQs or other measures of intelligence, between those who are quite sure that the above is true and those who are quite sure it isn't?
11.7834
lagtight is online now   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online