Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Politics and Society Contentions, Controversies, and Conflicts

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2021, 06:38 AM   #3601
lagtight
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
lagtight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 7,422
Re: Covid-19, lockdowns and reopenings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo Fett View Post
Jesus, this guy is a ****ing idiot sometimes. Maybe all the time; I'm not "lucky" enough to have seen him in action often enough to say for sure.

See Rand Paul spar with Dr. Fauci over masks
I agree with you that Dr. Fauci is an idiot sometimes.
lagtight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:12 AM   #3602
King Spew
Antici
 
King Spew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: pation
Posts: 13,445
Re: Covid-19, lockdowns and reopenings

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagtight View Post
...Dr. Fauci is an idiot sometimes.
Cite or ban.
King Spew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 12:50 PM   #3603
BlueWave!
newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 36
Re: Covid-19, lockdowns and reopenings

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Spew View Post
Cite or ban.
No reason to be walking around with masks- Fauci

May need to wear masks through 2022

Now Fauci in his position and his educational pedigree may not have understood how much masks would help in reducing the spread. It seems like there is a good argument that his statements are idiotic. No cite or ban on people denigrating Rand Paul who is a medical doctor after all? Interesting.
BlueWave! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 01:24 PM   #3604
tame_deuces
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
tame_deuces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 16,854
Re: Covid-19, lockdowns and reopenings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWave! View Post
No reason to be walking around with masks- Fauci

May need to wear masks through 2022

Now Fauci in his position and his educational pedigree may not have understood how much masks would help in reducing the spread. It seems like there is a good argument that his statements are idiotic. No cite or ban on people denigrating Rand Paul who is a medical doctor after all? Interesting.
Your links contradict your own argument.
tame_deuces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 02:28 PM   #3605
King Spew
Antici
 
King Spew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: pation
Posts: 13,445
Re: Covid-19, lockdowns and reopenings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWave! View Post
No cite or ban on people denigrating Rand Paul who is a medical doctor after all?
Someone has to finish Last in Class.

Even his own medical school alumni and faculty have submitted a request to revoke his license.

My opinion: the guy is a moron; really not that smart.
King Spew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:06 PM   #3606
Bobo Fett
2+2 Ad Man
 
Bobo Fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canada, eh!
Posts: 52,091
Re: Covid-19, lockdowns and reopenings

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagtight View Post
I agree with you that Dr. Fauci is an idiot sometimes.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you know that this isn't agreeing with my point.

So...what's the issue here? Are you thinking this is a good job by Rand here, or was this just a good opportunity to express your disagreement with Fauci? And if the latter, what in particular are your issues with him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWave! View Post
No reason to be walking around with masks- Fauci

May need to wear masks through 2022

Now Fauci in his position and his educational pedigree may not have understood how much masks would help in reducing the spread. It seems like there is a good argument that his statements are idiotic.
LOL. Please share how Fauci's statements in those links are idiotic.
Bobo Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:21 PM   #3607
Cuepee
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Cuepee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7,513
Re: Atlanta spa killings (excised from "Other news")

With regards to Covid specifically, I do think Hilary, and almost anyone else would have done better than Trump.

Trump made a singular bet that was all based around a belief that if citizens got spooked around Covid fears that would impact the Stock Market in an election year and that could, potentially harm him. So instead, despite seeing the risks, he bet on it not being so bad or his ability to sell that it was not so bad, and allowing what was going to happen to happen while DNEYING it.

He was so convinced of his ability to deny reality and then impose a false narrative as truth that he thought that was the correct path for Covid.


Any other leader would have taken the 'safer path' of allowing the 'Experts' to define the problem and solution and then simply going along. They would make themselves Chief rallier to a Cause, while allowing others (CDC) to make the tough decisions'.


This provides a large measure of Credit when things work out, but also blame mitigation when the choices end up being wrong. "Everyone was following the experts!"

Yes it might end up with a short term confidence blip impacting the Stock Market (Trump wanted to avoid) but again the politician would not really be blamed as we have seen in real war efforts.
Cuepee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:30 PM   #3608
Cuepee
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Cuepee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7,513
Re: Covid-19, lockdowns and reopenings

Re Fauci comments on masks and other reasons some (mostly Trump supporters) say Fauci is an idiot is because they think of science in the same way they think about religion.


They do not understand that Science not only allows for, but has built in to it the understand that statement will evolve and expand and change as new data is gathered. Instead they quote a prior statement, and contrast it with a latter statement and say 'See 'Difference"," and say that is proof they were wrong and dumb and can not be trusted.


Peter Navarro and Larry Kudlow and Trump used to be cited on the talking head TV shows doing this all the time.


So if you get a Novel virus which by its very nature is largely UNKNOWN. scientists begin with guidance based on what they think is the nearest comparable virus. Call them 'educated guesses'.

Thus do, or do not, focus on hand washing, masks, distancing, etc.

As data comes in any or all of them may change and rightly so and true to science.


A Trumper does not understand that. Instead they think...

'[I]You started by saying you think hand washing might be key and now you are saying it is not, in fact, the key means of transmission. ZOMG... you scientists know nothing and change your minds all the time. You are so dumb and not to trusted[/I].'


Fact of the matter is science is to be trusted because it DOES evolve. It does correct itself.
Cuepee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 02:01 PM   #3609
Trolly McTrollson
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Trolly McTrollson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Winesburg, Ohio
Posts: 31,314
Re: Covid-19, lockdowns and reopenings

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Spew View Post
Cite or ban.
You could just ban him.
Trolly McTrollson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 05:20 PM   #3610
lagtight
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
lagtight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 7,422
Re: Covid-19, lockdowns and reopenings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo Fett View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you know that this isn't agreeing with my point.
Yes, I was being "playfully sarcastic."

Quote:
So...what's the issue here? Are you thinking this is a good job by Rand here, or was this just a good opportunity to express your disagreement with Fauci? And if the latter, what in particular are your issues with him?
I didn't watch the video. I generally oppose any member of the mob of pea brains that advocated for long-term restrictions, like government deciding which businesses are "essential" and which are not.

The masks that about 95% of people wear in public have little to no effect in the spreading of Covid. A surgical mask would certainly do the trick, but not the "100 masks for $10" variety.
lagtight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 05:24 PM   #3611
lagtight
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
lagtight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 7,422
Re: Covid-19, lockdowns and reopenings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolly McTrollson View Post
You could just ban him.
Maybe a ban on both you and me would be +EV for the Forum.
lagtight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:22 PM   #3612
lagtight
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
lagtight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 7,422
Re: Covid-19, lockdowns and reopenings

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Spew View Post
Someone has to finish Last in Class.
Somebody always finishes last in the United States Closed Chess Championship, too. What is your opinion of the "worst" chess master in the United States?

Quote:
Even his own medical school alumni and faculty have submitted a request to revoke his license.
Please let us know when the request is granted. Thanks in advance.

Quote:
My opinion: the guy is a moron; really not that smart.
My opinion: Morons don't graduate from medical school.
lagtight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:52 AM   #3613
Cuepee
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Cuepee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7,513
Re: Covid-19, lockdowns and reopenings

Sigh... Florida.

There simply is no issue Republicans won't try to turn into a culture war.



Florida governor to issue executive order to forbid 'vaccine passports'

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said Monday that he would issue an executive order forbidding local governments and businesses from requiring so-called “vaccine passports” to show proof that customers have been inoculated against the coronavirus.
He made the announcement on a day when more Floridians would become eligible for vaccination and during a ceremony he convened at the state Capitol to sign into law a bill approved by the Legislature on Friday that would bar COVID-related lawsuits against businesses that have made good-faith efforts to comply with guidelines meant to stop the spread of the virus.
Cuepee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:52 AM   #3614
Cuepee
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Cuepee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7,513
Re: Covid-19, lockdowns and reopenings

Cuepee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:01 PM   #3615
Cuepee
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Cuepee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7,513
Re: Covid-19, lockdowns and reopenings

Cuepee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:25 PM   #3616
lozen
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
lozen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 17,847
Re: Covid-19, lockdowns and reopenings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuepee View Post
Sigh... Florida.

There simply is no issue Republicans won't try to turn into a culture war.



Florida governor to issue executive order to forbid 'vaccine passports'

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said Monday that he would issue an executive order forbidding local governments and businesses from requiring so-called “vaccine passports” to show proof that customers have been inoculated against the coronavirus.
He made the announcement on a day when more Floridians would become eligible for vaccination and during a ceremony he convened at the state Capitol to sign into law a bill approved by the Legislature on Friday that would bar COVID-related lawsuits against businesses that have made good-faith efforts to comply with guidelines meant to stop the spread of the virus.

Though I agree with you mainly on this but if you have had Covid why get the vaccine? Until science says hey the vaccine is good for this many years or if you have had covid than you will only be immune for this many years.

Sadly I would take Desantis over Gavin or Cuomo .
lozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 03:11 PM   #3617
campfirewest
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
campfirewest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,780
Re: Covid-19, lockdowns and reopenings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuepee View Post
Now you have something in common with all the other people who don't trust states to count things
campfirewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:13 PM   #3618
Slighted
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Slighted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 15,029
Re: Covid-19, lockdowns and reopenings

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozen View Post
Sadly I would take Desantis over Gavin or Cuomo .
lol. huge surprise. the "not a trumper"s pick trump everytime around here.
Slighted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 10:19 PM   #3619
lagtight
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
lagtight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 7,422
Re: Covid-19, lockdowns and reopenings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuepee View Post
Best to take with a grain of salt any post that begins "Researchers say..."
lagtight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:07 AM   #3620
pinhigh47
journeyman
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 244
Re: Covid-19, lockdowns and reopenings

It is genuinely very concerning to me that the world is moving to a place, even so far as to reach an off topic poker forum thread, that a negative statement about dr fauci results in a cascade of people asking for said person to be banned. If things continue going the way of extreme polarism, only allowing for echo chambers, extreme division...man the world is looking to be moving to a place that I don't want to experience. Honestly I am just feeling more and more ashamed to also be a human over the last decade or so.
pinhigh47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:29 AM   #3621
Luckbox Inc
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Luckbox Inc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 52,956
Re: Covid-19, lockdowns and reopenings

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhigh47 View Post
It is genuinely very concerning to me that the world is moving to a place, even so far as to reach an off topic poker forum thread, that a negative statement about dr fauci results in a cascade of people asking for said person to be banned. If things continue going the way of extreme polarism, only allowing for echo chambers, extreme division...man the world is looking to be moving to a place that I don't want to experience. Honestly I am just feeling more and more ashamed to also be a human over the last decade or so.
Lots of people really like Fauci though.
Luckbox Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:32 AM   #3622
nutella virus
veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,112
Re: Covid-19, lockdowns and reopenings

Anybody else notice he has very little hands
nutella virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 04:50 AM   #3623
Bobo Fett
2+2 Ad Man
 
Bobo Fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canada, eh!
Posts: 52,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhigh47 View Post
It is genuinely very concerning to me that the world is moving to a place, even so far as to reach an off topic poker forum thread, that a negative statement about dr fauci results in a cascade of people asking for said person to be banned. If things continue going the way of extreme polarism, only allowing for echo chambers, extreme division...man the world is looking to be moving to a place that I don't want to experience. Honestly I am just feeling more and more ashamed to also be a human over the last decade or so.
Well, if it makes you feel any better, that "cascade of people" consists of a moderator who I assume wasn't especially serious or he would have banned him by now, and one poster who probably wouldn't mind if lagtight was banned for pretty much anything. So while I actually have also often lamented the extreme polarism we see in the world these days, I don't think this thread is a great example of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagtight View Post
A rather elitist comment. Goat farmers are incapable of saying intelligent things?
I don't believe he said they were incapable of saying intelligent things, but was mocking you for 100% believing them. And to be fair, he did specify uneducated goat farmers. The educated goat farmers are far more credible.
Bobo Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:52 AM   #3624
chezlaw
Limey Bastard
 
chezlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: London
Posts: 41,900
Re: Covid-19, lockdowns and reopenings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo Fett View Post
Well, if it makes you feel any better, that "cascade of people" consists of a moderator who I assume wasn't especially serious or he would have banned him by now, and one poster who probably wouldn't mind if lagtight was banned for pretty much anything. So while I actually have often also lamented the extreme polarism we see in the world these days, I don't think this thread is a great example of it.
This

"cite or ban' would have been ludicrous if it was serious but it was extremely unlikely to be serious.

And the other poster was a trolley
chezlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:42 AM   #3625
lagtight
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
lagtight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 7,422
Re: Covid-19, lockdowns and reopenings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo Fett View Post
Well, if it makes you feel any better, that "cascade of people" consists of a moderator who I assume wasn't especially serious or he would have banned him by now, and one poster who probably wouldn't mind if lagtight was banned for pretty much anything. So while I actually have also often lamented the extreme polarism we see in the world these days, I don't think this thread is a great example of it.
Well said.

Quote:
I don't believe he said they were incapable of saying intelligent things, but was mocking you for 100% believing them. And to be fair, he did specify uneducated goat farmers. The educated goat farmers are far more credible.
Thanks for clarifying.
lagtight is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive