Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Internet Poker Discussions of Internet poker venues, including RB & bonuses.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008, 08:46 AM   #51
Shephard
adept
 
Shephard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Avoiding WSOP because of CJ
Posts: 815
Re: Site payouts after death

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebreal View Post
for ****'s sake, would someone PLEASE BAN this moron (lawstudent)
+1

Last edited by Mike Haven; 09-05-2008 at 03:14 PM.
Shephard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:40 AM   #52
NFuego20
Pooh-Bah
 
NFuego20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 4,305
Re: Site payouts after death

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebreal View Post
for ****'s sake, would someone PLEASE BAN this moron (lawstudent)
+2

For somebody claiming to be educated he sure doesn't show it in his debate skills. Gee I disagree with somebody who is trying to have a perfectly rational discussion with me. I know how I'm going to resolve this.....gonna call him a donkey and ROFL ROFL ROFL!!!

Last edited by Mike Haven; 09-05-2008 at 03:14 PM.
NFuego20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:56 AM   #53
SquawkIdent
journeyman
 
SquawkIdent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 254
Re: Site payouts after death

Seeing this type of douchebaggery (lawstudent101) is obnoxious. You're a law student (or recent graduate, possibly). Calm down.

FWIW, it's not about the law that these sites are governed under, it's about business. If these sites were making it impossible to withdraw funds when someone dies, and it became publicly known, fewer players would risk leaving any real money on the site or perhaps playing there at all. Considering the hundreds of millions of dollars that these sites hold via deposits/balances, allowing someone's wife to withdraw after they die makes good business sense. The more comfortable people are with leaving money online, the more money the site makes on those funds while they are being held as a balance.
SquawkIdent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:59 PM   #54
Lawstudent101
banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 145
Re: Site payouts after death

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkIdent View Post
Seeing this type of douchebaggery (lawstudent101) is obnoxious. You're a law student (or recent graduate, possibly). Calm down.

FWIW, it's not about the law that these sites are governed under, it's about business. If these sites were making it impossible to withdraw funds when someone dies, and it became publicly known, fewer players would risk leaving any real money on the site or perhaps playing there at all. Considering the hundreds of millions of dollars that these sites hold via deposits/balances, allowing someone's wife to withdraw after they die makes good business sense. The more comfortable people are with leaving money online, the more money the site makes on those funds while they are being held as a balance.
You know what? I agree with this post 100%. However, some people (working for pokerstars) are trying to make the argument that, HEY! We are bound by laws! The Isle of Man has laws! We are bound by those. That is just laughable.

It isn't a certain country's laws that stops pokerstars from doing lame stuff, it is (business law) or (economic law). AKA, how to run a business the best way possible to make the most money by giving the best service etc.

So in short, yeah man, I agree with you, and you're 100% right. The pokerstars guy claiming "zomg! we are bound by teh isle of man" is full of it IMHO.



As for everyone wanting to ban me, I haven't really done anything that is considered bannable. I'm simplying typing responses that are thoughtful and full of knowledge, yes I do call people donkey or muppet here or there, is that worth being banned over? No. You guys just don't like me because #1 I'm more educated than you, making you jealous. #2 I'm better at poker than you, making you jealous.

Hope that clears things up.
Lawstudent101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #55
KingOfFelt
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
KingOfFelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: West Coast
Posts: 6,854
Re: Site payouts after death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawstudent101 View Post
You know what? I agree with this post 100%. However, some people (working for pokerstars) are trying to make the argument that, HEY! We are bound by laws! The Isle of Man has laws! We are bound by those. That is just laughable.

It isn't a certain country's laws that stops pokerstars from doing lame stuff, it is (business law) or (economic law). AKA, how to run a business the best way possible to make the most money by giving the best service etc.

So in short, yeah man, I agree with you, and you're 100% right. The pokerstars guy claiming "zomg! we are bound by teh isle of man" is full of it IMHO.



As for everyone wanting to ban me, I haven't really done anything that is considered bannable. I'm simplying typing responses that are thoughtful and full of knowledge, yes I do call people donkey or muppet here or there, is that worth being banned over? No. You guys just don't like me because #1 I'm more educated than you, making you jealous. #2 I'm better at poker than you, making you jealous.

Hope that clears things up.


Dude...you got owned...EVERYONE who EVER reads this thread will know you got owned. I think it is time for you to GTFO....seriously.
KingOfFelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #56
Markusgc
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Markusgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Noodles, Hockey & Punk Rock!
Posts: 8,788
Re: Site payouts after death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawstudent101 View Post
You guys just don't like me because #1 I'm an annoying prick, making you sad for the human race. #2 I'm better at making you nauseous.
Hope that clears things up.
Markusgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:18 PM   #57
stoopid n00b
centurion
 
stoopid n00b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: ...................................
Posts: 109
Re: Site payouts after death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawstudent101 View Post
As for everyone wanting to ban me, I haven't really done anything that is considered bannable. I'm simplying typing responses that are thoughtful and full of knowledge, yes I do call people donkey or muppet here or there, is that worth being banned over? No. You guys just don't like me because #1 I'm more educated than you, making you jealous. #2 I'm better at poker than you, making you jealous.

Hope that clears things up.
This thread was started by someone who wanted to know how sites would react to a players passing away. We had a very respected member, who is also an employee for the #1 site in the world, respond with their policies. You call him an idiot and then continue to insult him. This thread isn't about what countries laws apply where and if the isle of man government meets your approval, because really no one cares about you or your opinions. Now in regards to you not doing anything banworthy, I would disagree and will be in touch with mods and encourage everyone else to do the same.
stoopid n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:31 PM   #58
Lawstudent101
banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 145
Re: Site payouts after death

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid n00b View Post
This thread was started by someone who wanted to know how sites would react to a players passing away. We had a very respected member, who is also an employee for the #1 site in the world, respond with their policies. You call him an idiot and then continue to insult him. This thread isn't about what countries laws apply where and if the isle of man government meets your approval, because really no one cares about you or your opinions. Now in regards to you not doing anything banworthy, I would disagree and will be in touch with mods and encourage everyone else to do the same.

Okay, get in touch with the "mods". You do that.

Fact is, the arguments I made are 100% accurate and you know it.

Why do you think pokerstars chose to operate in the isle of man?

Think about it.....think about it.......

You think they pointed to some island and said "this one?"

No of course not.

They chose a remote island with a weak gov't to do business in.

Why?

Because they have lax regulatory authority, don't have the resources to enforce all the laws they "pass", and pokerstars can use this to their advantage if they ever get into a dispute with that gov't.

Yeah..."techincally" pokerstars is bound by the isle of man's laws....and?

That's like saying "techincally" the people in Iraq are bound by laws passed by their new "gov't" Yeah and?

It is in the best interest of pokerstars to claim they are bound by some government, it'll make players feel more safe.

However, this is very dishonest.

Instead of claiming that they are bound by a puppet gov't authority, they should just say they are bound by sound business and economic principals and leave it at that.


Now you want to ban me because I reveal the truth? Because it'll hurt your bottom line? Go right ahead, however I have not violated the TOS of this site, even though the TOS does not really apply to me.

If the mods want to ban me...guess what? They can.

They aren't bound by ANY laws, they can do whatever they want, period.
Just like....you guessed it! POKERSTARS!
Lawstudent101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:35 PM   #59
stoopid n00b
centurion
 
stoopid n00b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: ...................................
Posts: 109
Re: Site payouts after death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawstudent101 View Post
Okay, get in touch with the "mods". You do that.

Fact is, the arguments I made are 100% accurate and you know it.

Why do you think pokerstars chose to operate in the isle of man?

Think about it.....think about it.......

You think they pointed to some island and said "this one?"

No of course not.

They chose a remote island with a weak gov't to do business in.

Why?

Because they have lax regulatory authority, don't have the resources to enforce all the laws they "pass", and pokerstars can use this to their advantage if they ever get into a dispute with that gov't.

Yeah..."techincally" pokerstars is bound by the isle of man's laws....and?

That's like saying "techincally" the people in Iraq are bound by laws passed by their new "gov't" Yeah and?

It is in the best interest of pokerstars to claim they are bound by some government, it'll make players feel more safe.

However, this is very dishonest.

Instead of claiming that they are bound by a puppet gov't authority, they should just say they are bound by sound business and economic principals and leave it at that.


Now you want to ban me because I reveal the truth? Because it'll hurt your bottom line? Go right ahead, however I have not violated the TOS of this site, even though the TOS does not really apply to me.

If the mods want to ban me...guess what? They can.

They aren't bound by ANY laws, they can do whatever they want, period.
Just like....you guessed it! POKERSTARS!
None of these issues have anything to do with the questions raised in the OP.

You are a rude troll and need to be dealt with.
stoopid n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:37 PM   #60
Markusgc
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Markusgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Noodles, Hockey & Punk Rock!
Posts: 8,788
Re: Site payouts after death

Gimmick Report Card for Lawdouche101

Social Skills: Fail
Trolling Skills: Through the roof!

Summary:
Special kinda 'tard.
Markusgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:47 PM   #61
DuderinoAB
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Stars SNGs
Posts: 1,377
Re: Site payouts after death

you're dead...what's the difference?
DuderinoAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:00 PM   #62
Lawstudent101
banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 145
Re: Site payouts after death

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid n00b View Post
None of these issues have anything to do with the questions raised in the OP.

You are a rude troll and need to be dealt with.
Yes they do. OP's inquiry was about what pokerstars would do in the event of his death regarding his funds.

He brought up his last will and testament, stating that he has left his account and the funds in it to his wife.

The question OP presented was, will pokerstars comply with what is stated in his will.

The entire discussion was whether or not pokerstars would comply, and if they choose to do so, under what legal authority (if any) they would be following.

Don't be such a douche and just LISTEN and THINK for a second.


I know it's hard, I know you're just a poker player and most likely HIGHLY uneducated, and I forgive you. But seriously man. Your IQ level is just so low.

The natural response would be jealousy and wanting to get me banned.

Typical human flith.
Lawstudent101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:21 PM   #63
KingOfFelt
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
KingOfFelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: West Coast
Posts: 6,854
Re: Site payouts after death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawstudent101 View Post
Yes they do. OP's inquiry was about what pokerstars would do in the event of his death regarding his funds.

He brought up his last will and testament, stating that he has left his account and the funds in it to his wife.

The question OP presented was, will pokerstars comply with what is stated in his will.

The entire discussion was whether or not pokerstars would comply, and if they choose to do so, under what legal authority (if any) they would be following.

Don't be such a douche and just LISTEN and THINK for a second.


I know it's hard, I know you're just a poker player and most likely HIGHLY uneducated, and I forgive you. But seriously man. Your IQ level is just so low.

The natural response would be jealousy and wanting to get me banned.

Typical human flith.

FAIL.
KingOfFelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:07 PM   #64
Mike Haven
Moderotor of Moderots
 
Mike Haven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Self-flagellating re poor modding
Posts: 13,255
Re: Site payouts after death

Lawstudent101

I have banned you for two days because of your constantly abusive and inflammatory troll posting in this thread.

If you continue on this path when you return you will be banned again.

If you wish to debate reasonably and politely and show some knowledge to support your point of view, you will be treated fairly.

MH
Mike Haven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:38 PM   #65
peetar69
old hand
 
peetar69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,554
Re: Site payouts after death

Damm, seemed like such a nice kid too.
peetar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:44 PM   #66
VP$IP
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
VP$IP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Zero Millions
Posts: 6,841
Re: Site payouts after death

Quote:
Originally Posted by peetar69 View Post
Damm, seemed like such a nice kid too.
sometimes bad things happen to good people
VP$IP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:24 AM   #67
technologic
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: jurassic park
Posts: 5,048
after death, where does your money go?

do online sites have provisions to where your money goes if you die? i mean i assume it's already happened before where people have significant money online and have died...how do people (particularly american citizens) recover this money (assuming they don't know the password)? is it really possible for them to?

don't know if this is the right forum, mods move if necessary
technologic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:27 AM   #68
Josem
human chemical weapon
 
Josem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Getting Trolled
Posts: 16,584
Re: after death, where does your money go?

Imo:

Step #1: Ask sites

Step #2: Post answers
Josem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:49 AM   #69
NoahSD
Is Right
 
NoahSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 18,865
Re: after death, where does your money go?

I remember someone from Stars posting on here at some point that they obv do the right thing and give the money to the relatives. Of course, Stars will only know that a dead guy has an account with them if someone talks to them.

I imagine that it'd be ****ing hell to deal with this situation with a site with totally braindead support.

Since you're the famous Doug Lee who was on TV once and once took a picture with a picture of a famous poker player, you're obv rolling in dough and should have a will just in case.
NoahSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:51 AM   #70
GuiGui_88
old hand
 
GuiGui_88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,660
Re: after death, where does your money go?

ya obv if the relatives know the guy was playing online its a lot easier to deal with but if the guy was silent about it then I really don't know how it can be resolved.
GuiGui_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:13 AM   #71
technologic
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: jurassic park
Posts: 5,048
Re: after death, where does your money go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahSD View Post
I remember someone from Stars posting on here at some point that they obv do the right thing and give the money to the relatives. Of course, Stars will only know that a dead guy has an account with them if someone talks to them.

I imagine that it'd be ****ing hell to deal with this situation with a site with totally braindead support.

Since you're the famous Doug Lee who was on TV once and once took a picture with a picture of a famous poker player, you're obv rolling in dough and should have a will just in case.
this doug lee thing needs to stop. REALLY. don't you have any sympathy after i crashed and burned at the borg?!?!?
technologic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:55 AM   #72
Fermion5
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Fermion5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Michael Huemer & Larken Rose
Posts: 8,381
Re: after death, where does your money go?

Quote:
Since you're the famous Doug Lee who was on TV once and once took a picture with a picture of a famous poker player, you're obv rolling in dough and should have a will just in case.
Fermion5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:57 AM   #73
Black Peter
veteran
 
Black Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Pass
Posts: 2,876
Re: after death, where does your money go?

Quote:
after death, where does your money go?
To Jesus...






























Ferguson, that is.
Black Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:56 AM   #74
Rek
HUZA 2008
 
Rek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London
Posts: 10,035
Re: after death, where does your money go?

This is probably why Party and some other sites charge a % fee when your account has not been used for some time. Eventually the site gets it all. I assume the sites that do not charge a fee eventually close an account after a number of years when it is clear the player is not returning.

Assuming you contact a site after death then no doubt the money will be given to the deceased's estate but it will involve a bit of aggro getting it no doubt.
Rek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:14 AM   #75
MKarne
adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 762
Re: after death, where does your money go?

In case it's about your own death. If you use the identity bank before you die, where your identity (fingerprints, dna) is stored and you store there your passwords etc., and if your parents in your next life uses the identity bank, and you are born with the same prints, you will get your money back immediately after your new birth. Though the cake, pacific, party networks already have taken your money until your identity is recovered when you are still in the womb (or the cake network figures to wait for one year).

The relatives might not honor your will here, when you die, but if they will, and will wait even for some months, there is a possibility to recover up to everything after one's death. If they won't honor it (they could at least for one year), it's then a long shot that one's parents in the next life will know about identity banks and one's relatives in this life won't. There's though hope that no-one gets into one's identity bank's account without having the right prints, at least not till ten years have passed.

If one is married, the other one might have the moral rights to get his/her share. One thing to protect against such is to have lasting investments that produce or don't produce profits. In the worst case the relatives may leave at least your play money account (where there can be a top level of play money) as it was before you died, so you don't have to grind it all back when you are still an underage player.
MKarne is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online