Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Internet Poker Discussions of Internet poker venues, including RB & bonuses.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2015, 07:19 AM   #1376
TimStone
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
TimStone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: all across Asia
Posts: 8,368
Re: 3rd Party Software on PokerStars: Proposed Rule Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thstreetpete View Post
Hi guys, there seems to be a lot of confusion when it comes to paying taxes on online poker in Canada. Please keep all discussion regarding taxes in Canada in this thread for Canadian players (as well as people from abroad who may be contemplating moving to Canada or just interested in this subject).

First, I like to say that I am in no way qualified to give legal advice. From reading the various forums and researching with CCRA I have a few things to add.

I see a lot of posters here vehemently declaring that there are no taxes on gambling in Canada and that you don't have to pay taxes on gambling winnings. Trust me, I would like nothing better than to believe that this is true. However this only partially correct.

After reading the official website for the CCRA, (looking under "other types of income, ie gambling) they do bring up the subject of "reasonable expectation of profit". This is a very gray area, and is very vague. You can be taxed on carrying the business of gambling, as well as placing bets and wagering. A poster in the another thread stated that it does not necessarily have to do with how much you won but by the frequency of your activity. This is absolutely correct.

What does this all mean? Basically, if you're a for lack of a better term 'recreational player' then it's a fair assumption that you won't get taxed. However if you play very frequently and show a consistent profit for an extended amount of time, then you will fall into the dreaded category of "reasonable expectation of profit" and be deemed a professional gambler.

As far as I know no one has ever been busted for this, I could be wrong. However that doesn't mean that this won't happen in the future. Please remember that professional gamblers get taxed for their winnings and you're hardly unique in what you are doing.
If you make any considerable amount of money in poker and it seems like a lot of us in this forum do, it's best to consult with a qualified tax attorney to give you all the answers before you think about not paying your taxes on poker winnings.

If anyone have anything to add please feel free.

I know this is a sensitive subject but I would like to know of any canadian players who have paid taxes on their winnings in the past or have seeked legal advice on this subject, it would be of great help. Thanks.
Good poast and pretty much 100% my take on it.

Notecaddy is essentially teh direct link between a tracker and automated decision sw. It shouldve never been allowed in teh first place.

That being said i dont blame people that use and sell packs for defending it
TimStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:31 AM   #1377
TimTamBiscuit
veteran
 
TimTamBiscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: cRUSHed!!!!!!
Posts: 2,134
Re: 3rd Party Software on PokerStars: Proposed Rule Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonIrenicus View Post
Stars have to draw a line in how powerful a software can be considering they keep getting stronger and stronger.
Any line drawn has to be clear and logically defensible. The trouble is that the underlying HUD tools HM2 and PT4 already provide much more than basic HUDs, for example, customised stats that are effectively like NC.

Quote:
I don't believe it affects a rec so much in practice because they usually have a low sample for most of the stats to be effective. Only in rare circumstances where there is a large enough sample.
And datamining gives unfair players a large enough sample so now what?

Quote:
And the line should in my opinion be around here: You can show a basic hud like hm2 does but more than that is too much.
Why is it too much?

Quote:
For example a hud shows you a fold to 3bet stat and you kind of know if you do the math that 70% is too much but you are using your judgment and math for it.

But when you see a badge that shows you should 3bet someone because combining fold equity preflop+fold equity from his call and fold to a cbet would make it a profitable move that crosses the line.
In practice it is still very much a judgement call because opponents don't play like bots never varying their play.

Quote:
What does an actual bot do assuming he doesn't click the button itself?
Tells you to call, raise, fold basically. And what badges and stats like that do is they tell
you the same thing.
You see this badge-> you fold, call or raise.
IMO if you treat a badge robotically you will lose money. Most opponents adapt to robotically being raised and cbet constantly. Especially regs and you already said recs don't count as too small sample.

Also, regs behind you will counter exploit you figuring you are exploiting the same badge they are seeing so you must judge other opponents yet to act.

Quote:
If it's a stat that shows you his fold to 3bet, his call 3bet and his fold to cbet on the flop then I would say that is acceptable, because you actually need to check 3 stats and combine them yourself then decide what is enough and what isn't.
But when a badge tells you YES/NO it acts too close to a bot. It is game advice, it tells you FOLD/CALL/RAISE in a clear way based on the badge there.
IMO if you treat a badge as YES/NO you will lose money. Maximising profit with a badge takes significant judgement.

What is your axe to grind sir as your simplistic yes/no interpretation of the badge contradicts your skills as a winning player and a coach? In other words you know applying a badge is not that simple so why are you pretending otherwise?
TimTamBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:39 AM   #1378
devera
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 92
Re: 3rd Party Software on PokerStars: Proposed Rule Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTamBiscuit View Post
What is your axe to grind sir as your simplistic yes/no interpretation of the badge contradicts your skills as a winning player and a coach? In other words you know applying a badge is not that simple so why are you pretending otherwise?
Could be because he knows and has the guts to tell it, from the perspective of someone really using them badges, that's it's not really that complicated to learn to use one?

I don't get it, really.. NC advocates constantly crying foul when people say these live leak finders give too much of an advantage, saying this is not really the case. Well if this is not really the case, you're not gonna lose that much if these tools are banned while playing, are you?

And it's getting really pathetic hearing people saying that learning how to use these sort of supertools is "so hard" and requires a lot of work and that people that want them banned are just "lazy". The amount of work one would have to put in to analyze his and his opponents' game using just PT/HM is way bigger than doing similar type of work using NT with its supertools (online and offline), yet all of us lazy bastards refuse to take the easy way of learning the ins and outs of these new supertools, "because it's go freaking hard to use them". No comment..

And as for your "YES/NO" comment about badges - please see THIS. It's Alan Jackson (whom I respect tremendously, btw, and he's my favorite vid creator of them all). He explains it very clearly there, in a way that covers your "YES/NO" comment.
devera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:47 AM   #1379
FR-Nit
adept
 
FR-Nit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 981
Re: 3rd Party Software on PokerStars: Proposed Rule Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidalot View Post
To those saying "in-game s/w can't be banned now because everyone's used to it":
The same argument could have been made for not abolishing slavery or not enfranchising women. The fact that people have become used to a different system and some people might lose out from the change, doesn't override the imperative to remove something that is unfair and bad for the long-term health of the system overall. Some of the NC supporters in particular come across a bit like slave-owners, producing contorted arguments for why the status quo should persist.
I read once in an article that you are founder and manager of an hedge fund. Didn't research any further so the following might not be matching for you and also is not ment offensive against you personally (i highly respect you as an intelligent person). Hedge funds are part of the system which is the cause of the problems we encounter currently in our western world. We see how the gap between rich and poor gets bigger and bigger and more unsuperable. We see how people have to work more and more efficient without a real chance to get anywhere in a lot of jobs. "Money has to work" is one of the biggest misconceptions of our modern world. Money can't work, no sane person would try to give a bill a shovel. People work and those working people need to support the parasitic system. Is this fair? Is this any good for the future health of our society? No, it's not. So why doesn't your company stop to participate in this and engages in something fair and pareto-efficient? The answer is quite easy: because you are sane. You know that your company might not survive longer than a few months and that maybe you wouldn't have even made a change/impact to the current system.

Now to return to the current discussion: the call for banning all 3rd party software is unrealistic. Online poker has developed with HUDs and tools since quite some time now and they are a substantial part of it. To demand from Stars to ban HUDs is compareable to asking your company to not be part of the exploitation-system anymore. A lot of people would consider both fairer and and more healthy for the future, but both lack feasibility due to economical risks in the short and medium run.
FR-Nit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:05 AM   #1380
mme
old hand
 
mme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: true anti-CFR-HUDs
Posts: 1,668
Re: 3rd Party Software on PokerStars: Proposed Rule Changes

fr-nit, please stick to one sentence posts. they offer the same low amount of insight + are easier to scroll by. ty
mme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:06 AM   #1381
FR-Nit
adept
 
FR-Nit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 981
Re: 3rd Party Software on PokerStars: Proposed Rule Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mme View Post
fr-nit, please stick to one sentence posts. they offer the same low amount of insight + are easier to scroll by. ty
Will do my best in the next post

Edit: you might also wanna try out the ignore-function on 2+2
FR-Nit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:15 AM   #1382
TimTamBiscuit
veteran
 
TimTamBiscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: cRUSHed!!!!!!
Posts: 2,134
Re: 3rd Party Software on PokerStars: Proposed Rule Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by devera View Post
And as for your "YES/NO" comment about badges - please see THIS. It's Alan Jackson (whom I respect tremendously, btw, and he's my favorite vid creator of them all). He explains it very clearly there, in a way that covers your "YES/NO" comment.
If you listen to your link, Alan says something like, "and fire lots of flops." He doesn't say fire all flops.

Judgement. The only time badges are black and white yes/Nos are on recs and you don't need them on recs.

He also simplifies by omitting what you must do in practice which is consider counter-exploitation by regs yet to act who know what we are trying to exploit.
TimTamBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #1383
mme
old hand
 
mme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: true anti-CFR-HUDs
Posts: 1,668
Re: 3rd Party Software on PokerStars: Proposed Rule Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Nit View Post
Edit: you might also wanna try out the ignore-function on 2+2
thanks for the pointer but no. i have a stat postfrequency / postlength. a glimpse on your your avatar while scrolling by is the quickest way to update it.

visit us at thread-poker.org

Last edited by mme; 06-20-2015 at 08:40 AM. Reason: teh lenght
mme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:49 AM   #1384
TimTamBiscuit
veteran
 
TimTamBiscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: cRUSHed!!!!!!
Posts: 2,134
Re: 3rd Party Software on PokerStars: Proposed Rule Changes

NC badges are deliberately configurable, too. Part of the judgement call is the current accepted understanding of what might be considered theoretically correct now but in hindsight was simply common but flawed practice.

Examples are steal percentage and 3B percentage.

Some years ago a high steal percentage might have been more than 35% then steal changed to where many players were stealing 100% because blinds were folding too much. The pendulum is currently swinging back as blind play improves. This appropriate number depends on population pools which vary by stake level and site. Some pools have more aggressive blind play. Other pools still fold too much. You adjust configurable parameters accordingly but also create pool-specific badges that may be useless in a different pool.

There are sites where 3 barrelling is very common. Other sites where flop folding is too high. There is way more variability than any current set of NC badges caters for.

3B/4B % and defense there of in cash games has also evolved significantly but still varies a lot from player pool to player pool across sites and stakes. A high 3B% used to be 8%+ but that would usually be seen as exploitably too low now...
TimTamBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:55 AM   #1385
Richas
veteran
 
Richas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: On the learning curve
Posts: 3,440
Re: 3rd Party Software on PokerStars: Proposed Rule Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTamBiscuit View Post
Table selection in cash or HUSNG based solely on hands you have played yourself is legal.

Table selection in cash based on datamined hands played by others is illegal. HUSNG selection based on third party queuing in sharkystrator is similarly a clear violation of TOS as the table selection is not based solely on playing against each other but is based on an implied reggyness based on licensing sharky.
Admission to the cartel is based upon improperly sharing data. To join the applicant must submit their record vs the cartel, they must demonstrate over a large sample what their ROI is - if good they get in if not not good enough, not good.

You can't fake your way in, your graphs and data are checked by the cartel against their collated data. This produces a Yes/No decision based upon complete data for the player, shared accross the cartel to get that Yes/No decision.

The entire structure of the cartel, the membership of it is built upon illegally shared/mined data. Pass the test by sharing data with the cartel and you get to avoid playing the elite...keep your data to yourself and nope, you will get sat by the elite - using a software tool to facillitate that table selection decision made via shared data.

Try to cheat the system, have a record that does not match the dataminers record and/or the data shared by other cartel members and there are consequences - "being sat/declined by "everyone" for life. The thread linked to goes in to considerable detail on how to audit a player's claims without access to the full HH database of that player, it relies on the cartel sharing their data vs the applicant with other cartel members and using data mined info.

Oh yeah just for fun they propose that whilst the applicant creates the report the cartel members get to watch them doing it via Teamviewer so gettiing it working and sharing your sceen with the cartel is the security they want - no chance of creating a collusion/ghosting ring there eh? Meanwhile if Stars said to them we have all you play data but we are a bit concerned about a couple of things, please can we have TeamViewer up and running on your play....and the cartel would be outraged at the Spyware proposal.

Cartels are all about table selection, that selection is based upon sharing data improperly and verifying it against datamined info....oh yes and the cartel will share "population" figures that are no just datamined/shared improperly but tailored to apply to non cartel members as the targetted population, a set of shared data only the cartel can generate.

If anyone does not think that this form of table selection uses shared/datamined data improperly, not just data from the players own play history, then god help us - the mutual decision not to seat each other is based upon sharing player data to prove that they are worthy enough to join thr Frat club, checked by datamining and once in - you get extra data on your opponent population..for a fee.
Richas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:07 AM   #1386
Richas
veteran
 
Richas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: On the learning curve
Posts: 3,440
Re: 3rd Party Software on PokerStars: Proposed Rule Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTamBiscuit View Post
NC badges are deliberately configurable, too. Part of the judgement call is the current accepted understanding of what might be considered theoretically correct now but in hindsight was simply common but flawed practice.

Examples are steal percentage and 3B percentage.

Some years ago a high steal percentage might have been more than 35% then steal changed to where many players were stealing 100% because blinds were folding too much. The pendulum is currently swinging back as blind play improves. This appropriate number depends on population pools which vary by stake level and site. Some pools have more aggressive blind play. Other pools still fold too much. You adjust configurable parameters accordingly but also create pool-specific badges that may be useless in a different pool.

There are sites where 3 barrelling is very common. Other sites where flop folding is too high. There is way more variability than any current set of NC badges caters for.

3B/4B % and defense there of in cash games has also evolved significantly but still varies a lot from player pool to player pool across sites and stakes. A high 3B% used to be 8%+ but that would usually be seen as exploitably too low now...
You do get that this is an explanation that by combining badges with relevant total population stats, your own vs Hero stats with a randomising element to give you the ideal 70% or whatever for that action you get not just incremental gains in advantage don't you?

It is an advert for the power of using a suite of HEM, NoteCaddy, illegal data, a randomiser and dynamic badges linking the lot..oh yeah and changing the sample size criteria by player categorisation from their datamined history let's you further tailor it to be flexible vs different opponents.....all existing software approaches ......essentially this is an explanation of a highly efficient CyBot. You get that right?

There is nothing new or innovative s/w wise to deliver this game killer, it is just buying the bits and integrating them in the SuperHUD.
Richas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:16 AM   #1387
devera
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 92
Re: 3rd Party Software on PokerStars: Proposed Rule Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTamBiscuit View Post
3B/4B % and defense there of in cash games has also evolved significantly but still varies a lot from player pool to player pool across sites and stakes. A high 3B% used to be 8%+ but that would usually be seen as exploitably too low now...
Yeah, so then I'll buy that new add-on pack that just came out, the one that deals with "new pool tendencies and exploits and all". I understand that just saying a badge is a YES/NO trigger that's universally applicable is an exaggeration, as there still is some judgement call to be made (in some, maybe most cases). What you don't admit is that these judgement calls get less and less "judgement calls" as these tools expose more and more of pool/players specific leaks.

It's like you're trying to get out of a maze - if you have one "traffic sign" every 10 corners let's say, you will eventually get out of the maze, by some trial and error. If instead you put "traffic signs" every 3 corners, your "judgement calls" are less and less important, as the right path is being shown to you with more and more precision.

I don't doubt that just using badges, scatter/spike graphs, heatmaps etc is NOT gonna make you a winning player. What I'm saying is that these sort of tools, if used while playing, point you in the right direction more often than not, with too much precision. And the counter argument of me trying to outsmart the ones that use these tools does not logically stand, unless you are willing to apply it to all situations, vs bots for example. They too don't have an absolutely perfect game plan (as there isn't one, really, for 6max), that's why they don't play at 5/10 and higher. So what's stopping you from exploiting their "almost definite answers" game plan instead of whining that bots are too good? I'm sure no one would complain about 1000 bots at their stake if all bots were actually losers. So no, the argument of "you could exploit the ones that try to exploit you with these tools" does not stand (although theoretically you are right).

Last edited by devera; 06-20-2015 at 09:33 AM.
devera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:30 AM   #1388
MrJuliusDhelas
banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 290
Re: 3rd Party Software on PokerStars: Proposed Rule Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richas View Post
Admission to the cartel is based upon improperly sharing data. To join the applicant must submit their record vs the cartel, they must demonstrate over a large sample what their ROI is - if good they get in if not not good enough, not good.

You can't fake your way in, your graphs and data are checked by the cartel against their collated data. This produces a Yes/No decision based upon complete data for the player, shared accross the cartel to get that Yes/No decision.

The entire structure of the cartel, the membership of it is built upon illegally shared/mined data. Pass the test by sharing data with the cartel and you get to avoid playing the elite...keep your data to yourself and nope, you will get sat by the elite - using a software tool to facillitate that table selection decision made via shared data.

Try to cheat the system, have a record that does not match the dataminers record and/or the data shared by other cartel members and there are consequences - "being sat/declined by "everyone" for life. The thread linked to goes in to considerable detail on how to audit a player's claims without access to the full HH database of that player, it relies on the cartel sharing their data vs the applicant with other cartel members and using data mined info.

Oh yeah just for fun they propose that whilst the applicant creates the report the cartel members get to watch them doing it via Teamviewer so gettiing it working and sharing your sceen with the cartel is the security they want - no chance of creating a collusion/ghosting ring there eh? Meanwhile if Stars said to them we have all you play data but we are a bit concerned about a couple of things, please can we have TeamViewer up and running on your play....and the cartel would be outraged at the Spyware proposal.

Cartels are all about table selection, that selection is based upon sharing data improperly and verifying it against datamined info....oh yes and the cartel will share "population" figures that are no just datamined/shared improperly but tailored to apply to non cartel members as the targetted population, a set of shared data only the cartel can generate.

If anyone does not think that this form of table selection uses shared/datamined data improperly, not just data from the players own play history, then god help us - the mutual decision not to seat each other is based upon sharing player data to prove that they are worthy enough to join thr Frat club, checked by datamining and once in - you get extra data on your opponent population..for a fee.

I think what u wrote is not true if i play against 10 players i can show them my graph wich i suppose its not illegal has it does not contain any hands but only results and they can confirm in theyr graphs if its true or not , no need to exchange hand histories


This thread is full of innacuracies


BTW i think cartels and scripts are way more harmfull for poker than the software mentioned seems pokerstars has theyr priorities wrongly inverted
MrJuliusDhelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:37 AM   #1389
bravadomacho
banned
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 154
Re: 3rd Party Software on PokerStars: Proposed Rule Changes

The argument for the use of hud software that anyone can use a hud is ridiculous when Pokersttars itself has commercials promoting play on phones and ipads and non hud compliant devices. Not even trying to be funny because it's reality, but the next Nadal commercial should be a spilt screen of Nadal one tabling on ipad with Elky and 4 other team pros sniping him using huds. That is honesty to customers
bravadomacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:43 AM   #1390
Richas
veteran
 
Richas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: On the learning curve
Posts: 3,440
Re: 3rd Party Software on PokerStars: Proposed Rule Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJuliusDhelas View Post
I think what u wrote is not true if i play against 10 players i can show them my graph wich i suppose its not illegal has it does not contain any hands but only results and they can confirm in theyr graphs if its true or not , no need to exchange hand histories
Sharing a graph amngst a few mates or discussion group, or even posted here is not crossing a line. Doing so in order to be admitted to a conspiracy regarding table selection is - especially when it is verified by a full audit, using other players data, illegally data mined information and a security check via TeamViewer to watch the graph being created in real time, that explains the complexity of the conspiracy.
Richas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:56 AM   #1391
JonIrenicus
See my coaching listing
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 899
Re: 3rd Party Software on PokerStars: Proposed Rule Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTamBiscuit View Post
What is your axe to grind sir as your simplistic yes/no interpretation of the badge contradicts your skills as a winning player and a coach? In other words you know applying a badge is not that simple so why are you pretending otherwise?
Of course it takes some skill but in some positions not so much.
If you are the BB you're the last to act so no worries about players behind you.
Opponents counter-exploiting you if you try to exploit them? The answer to that is dynamic vs hero stats so you're still getting a YES/NO thing in the end.
I am simplifying this a little bit obv but the difference is small like between a 5bb and 7bb winner.

It used to take some skill before in using NC but now a pack will just appear and give you everything in a simple to use manner.
JonIrenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:17 AM   #1392
MX210
banned
 
MX210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 401
Re: 3rd Party Software on PokerStars: Proposed Rule Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonIrenicus View Post
Opinions here have mostly been biased:
-someone like Timstone wants NC banned bc he uses PT4 and doesn't have it
-losing regs want it banned because they believe they would be winners otherwise(unlikely)
-NC packs seller want it allowed for obv reasons

Under the current rules I've been around 6-7bb winner and a successful coach
??
seems like your 7bb winrate was between the times PTR was inactive or are you admiting to forgery?

Spoiler:
MX210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:19 AM   #1393
TheDefiniteArticle
Indecisive
 
TheDefiniteArticle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 14,090
Re: 3rd Party Software on PokerStars: Proposed Rule Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richas View Post
Sharing a graph amngst a few mates or discussion group, or even posted here is not crossing a line. Doing so in order to be admitted to a conspiracy regarding table selection is - especially when it is verified by a full audit, using other players data, illegally data mined information and a security check via TeamViewer to watch the graph being created in real time, that explains the complexity of the conspiracy.
Where do you draw the line? If I post a hand in a study group and someone says 'oh, call, he's a ******', this is obviously fine, right? What if I post a hand and say 'oh, call, he overbluffs rivers'? What about 'oh, call, his river bet when checked to after calling two barrels is 72%'? What about a screenshot of their HUD stats on a particular player?
TheDefiniteArticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:26 AM   #1394
LektorAJ
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
LektorAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: none
Posts: 7,716
Re: 3rd Party Software on PokerStars: Proposed Rule Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Nit View Post
I read once in an article that you are founder and manager of an hedge fund. Didn't research any further so the following might not be matching for you and also is not ment offensive against you personally (i highly respect you as an intelligent person). Hedge funds are part of the system which is the cause of the problems we encounter currently in our western world. We see how the gap between rich and poor gets bigger and bigger and more unsuperable. We see how people have to work more and more efficient without a real chance to get anywhere in a lot of jobs. "Money has to work" is one of the biggest misconceptions of our modern world. Money can't work, no sane person would try to give a bill a shovel. People work and those working people need to support the parasitic system. Is this fair? Is this any good for the future health of our society? No, it's not. So why doesn't your company stop to participate in this and engages in something fair and pareto-efficient? The answer is quite easy: because you are sane. You know that your company might not survive longer than a few months and that maybe you wouldn't have even made a change/impact to the current system.

Now to return to the current discussion: the call for banning all 3rd party software is unrealistic. Online poker has developed with HUDs and tools since quite some time now and they are a substantial part of it. To demand from Stars to ban HUDs is compareable to asking your company to not be part of the exploitation-system anymore. A lot of people would consider both fairer and and more healthy for the future, but both lack feasibility due to economical risks in the short and medium run.
Apart from the ridiculous off-topic rant (I live in a country with no real financial sector beyond retail banking and therefore no venture capitalists - all major enterprises are therefore owned by foreigners or rich families - young people with ideas leave and go to be "exploited" in the west), Pokerstars improving it's ecology would be equivalent to a agro-business stopping using chemicals it's always used, because they have discovered they are killing the crops.
LektorAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:03 AM   #1395
kobmish
old hand
 
kobmish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Winrate minimizing
Posts: 1,751
Re: 3rd Party Software on PokerStars: Proposed Rule Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richas View Post
Admission to the cartel is based upon improperly sharing data. To join the applicant must submit their record vs the cartel, they must demonstrate over a large sample what their ROI is - if good they get in if not not good enough, not good.

You can't fake your way in, your graphs and data are checked by the cartel against their collated data. This produces a Yes/No decision based upon complete data for the player, shared accross the cartel to get that Yes/No decision.

The entire structure of the cartel, the membership of it is built upon illegally shared/mined data. Pass the test by sharing data with the cartel and you get to avoid playing the elite...keep your data to yourself and nope, you will get sat by the elite - using a software tool to facillitate that table selection decision made via shared data.

Try to cheat the system, have a record that does not match the dataminers record and/or the data shared by other cartel members and there are consequences - "being sat/declined by "everyone" for life. The thread linked to goes in to considerable detail on how to audit a player's claims without access to the full HH database of that player, it relies on the cartel sharing their data vs the applicant with other cartel members and using data mined info.

Oh yeah just for fun they propose that whilst the applicant creates the report the cartel members get to watch them doing it via Teamviewer so gettiing it working and sharing your sceen with the cartel is the security they want - no chance of creating a collusion/ghosting ring there eh? Meanwhile if Stars said to them we have all you play data but we are a bit concerned about a couple of things, please can we have TeamViewer up and running on your play....and the cartel would be outraged at the Spyware proposal.

Cartels are all about table selection, that selection is based upon sharing data improperly and verifying it against datamined info....oh yes and the cartel will share "population" figures that are no just datamined/shared improperly but tailored to apply to non cartel members as the targetted population, a set of shared data only the cartel can generate.

If anyone does not think that this form of table selection uses shared/datamined data improperly, not just data from the players own play history, then god help us - the mutual decision not to seat each other is based upon sharing player data to prove that they are worthy enough to join thr Frat club, checked by datamining and once in - you get extra data on your opponent population..for a fee.
You like to talk about things you don't understand or don't have a clue about, right? Does it feel good, make you feel special? Dreaming of "illegally data mined information" was particularly good one. If I share my win/loss vs someone and he checks in his db and confirms it's like that, there is so much "illegally data mined information" indeed. But please, by all means keep going.

I remember previously someone in the same thread telling you that you don't have a clue what you are talking about (it was entirely another subject). Wonder why that keeps happening with you. Curious do you have any topics at all you are not competent about? Or you just know it all....
kobmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:07 AM   #1396
Mecastyles
Pooh-Bah
 
Mecastyles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hyper, Hyper
Posts: 4,660
Re: 3rd Party Software on PokerStars: Proposed Rule Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richas View Post
Sharing a graph amngst a few mates or discussion group, or even posted here is not crossing a line. Doing so in order to be admitted to a conspiracy regarding table selection is - especially when it is verified by a full audit, using other players data, illegally data mined information and a security check via TeamViewer to watch the graph being created in real time, that explains the complexity of the conspiracy.
There is no conspiracy at all. You can choose to show your results or not and in so join or not join. Pokerstars has examined this process and declared it fully legal so to go offtopic and adress this is not constructive in any way whatsoever. It seems like this is not the first time you try to prove something that is completely false as well.

In every way possible this ''conspiracy'' you claim is put in place to NOT have a conspiracy or gangup where a group of friends can ruin one guy for an irrational reason.

Blame pokerstars for high rake so regvsreg is quite hard/virtually impossible to maintain if anything.
Mecastyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:13 AM   #1397
DaycareInferno
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DaycareInferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,279
Re: 3rd Party Software on PokerStars: Proposed Rule Changes

Stars should work on figuring out how to enforce the restrictions that they already have in place before coming up with new things that they have an even worse chance of enforcing.
DaycareInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:14 AM   #1398
devera
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 92
Re: 3rd Party Software on PokerStars: Proposed Rule Changes

All the stables boys coming in and justifying that sort of behavior with all kind of convoluted reasoning is really funny. And just that - funny

Last edited by devera; 06-20-2015 at 11:29 AM.
devera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:23 AM   #1399
JonIrenicus
See my coaching listing
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 899
Re: 3rd Party Software on PokerStars: Proposed Rule Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX210 View Post
??
seems like your 7bb winrate was between the times PTR was inactive or are you admiting to forgery?

Spoiler:
My 7 bb winrate is in the last ~2 years.
I specify this in my coaching thread which is pretty old, so if there was any forgery involved someone would've accused me by now considering I gave out my sn and there is a russian PTR out there :-)

PTR is down since 3-4 years ago and it was during the time we were using HM1 and I was griding for sne while being a mediocre player at fullring.
JonIrenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:26 AM   #1400
Riverallin
newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 37
Re: 3rd Party Software on PokerStars: Proposed Rule Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by devera View Post
All the stables boys coming in and justifying that sort of behavior with all kinds on convoluted reasoning is really funny. And just that - funny
+1


It would be fun if PS made 2 player pools.
One clean, and one with all s/w freaks.
It is nice to watch program vs program game.
It will be like 20 hands/hour.
Riverallin is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive