Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > > >

Discussion of Poker Sites General discussion of online poker sites.

View Poll Results: Is Online Poker Rigged?
Yes 3,444 34.94%
No 5,522 56.02%
Undecided 892 9.05%
Voters: 9858. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2009, 10:40 AM   #11101
1tripz1
old hand
 
1tripz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Paris
Posts: 1,209
re: The great "Poker is rigged" debate - Collected threads edition

What do people think about TV poker being rigged? Some of the hands we have seen over the years, makes you wonder if the producers stack the deck for entertainment value.
1tripz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:12 AM   #11102
tk1133
veteran
 
tk1133's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Making friends one post @ a time
Posts: 2,221
re: The great "Poker is rigged" debate - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tripz1 View Post
What do people think about TV poker being rigged? Some of the hands we have seen over the years, makes you wonder if the producers stack the deck for entertainment value.

I know what you mean, I watch that "Most extreme" reality show sometimes, and I think their producers rig the situations for people as well. Like the produces are driving through China and see a man cleaning windows on a 24 story building, and they think, let's set the building on fire, remove all the fire escapes, and film the futile rescue attempts....Entertainment Value....Sick people out there....

Last edited by tk1133; 12-14-2009 at 11:14 AM. Reason: I liked that story better then calling him an idiot...Glass is half full....
tk1133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:09 PM   #11103
qpw
banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pulling the tails of rigtards
Posts: 4,019
re: The great "Poker is rigged" debate - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk1133 View Post
I know what you mean, I watch that "Most extreme" reality show sometimes, and I think their producers rig the situations for people as well. Like the produces are driving through China and see a man cleaning windows on a 24 story building, and they think, let's set the building on fire, remove all the fire escapes, and film the futile rescue attempts....Entertainment Value....Sick people out there....
The really sad thing is: With tk1133 you can't be sure he isn't serious.
qpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:33 PM   #11104
SwedishMedusa
journeyman
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 390
re: The great "Poker is rigged" debate - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by obviously.bogus View Post
slot machines

[...]

Yes its random, but designed to generate action.
This reminds me of... poker! It seems rigtards forget that poker is already a game designed by casinos to give the house profit. It's already designed so that there sometimes will be big hands clashing together, it's already designed so that the underdog will suck out fairly often (often enough to encourage them to continue to chase draws etc), it's already designed so that players will bust out of a tourney etc.
SwedishMedusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:46 PM   #11105
obviously.bogus
Pooh-Bah
 
obviously.bogus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Up a creek ... Infractions: 37 (99)
Posts: 4,905
re: The great "Poker is rigged" debate - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tripz1 View Post
What do people think about TV poker being rigged? Some of the hands we have seen over the years, makes you wonder if the producers stack the deck for entertainment value.
Not rigged. Just highly edited so that they don't show any hands with no action on TV. And/or structured so the blinds are so high that marginal hands have to be played.
obviously.bogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:01 PM   #11106
SwedishMedusa
journeyman
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 390
re: The great "Poker is rigged" debate - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tripz1 View Post
What do people think about TV poker being rigged? Some of the hands we have seen over the years, makes you wonder if the producers stack the deck for entertainment value.
definitely rigged. sometimes it's like you can call out the exact card to come

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIT6N...eature=related

seriously though: yeah, because in reality, things that are unlikely to happen would never happen in a real game wouldnt they?

as I said above, randomness of poker in itself is sufficient to create all sorts of hands.
SwedishMedusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #11107
LVGambler
banned
 
LVGambler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: EXIT42O
Posts: 4,884
re: The great "Poker is rigged" debate - Collected threads edition

That's poker folks! Who are we kidding? Everyone hates the guy who can't play worth a sht, but happens to luckbox you in a big pot or knocks you out with K2os UTG.
LVGambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:28 PM   #11108
otatop
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: unstuckpolitics.com
Posts: 12,727
re: The great "Poker is rigged" debate - Collected threads edition

Darvin Moon thought ESPN might be cheating him, or at least that's his excuse for telling his wife his KQ was QQ.
otatop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:01 AM   #11109
obviously.bogus
Pooh-Bah
 
obviously.bogus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Up a creek ... Infractions: 37 (99)
Posts: 4,905
re: The great "Poker is rigged" debate - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by otatop View Post
Darvin Moon thought ESPN might be cheating him, or at least that's his excuse for telling his wife his KQ was QQ.
Or much more likely, considering he was miked-up with all kinds of people having access to the audio - including the folks at the Bluff magazine live commentary - that he was just exercising somewhat justifiable paranoia, since whatever he said could be relayed to other players at the table.

The meme that Darvin accused ESPN of cheating him has been way overblown, IMO.
obviously.bogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:21 AM   #11110
Jabbershot
grinder
 
Jabbershot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 495
re: The great "Poker is rigged" debate - Collected threads edition

I've spent a bit of time digging through this thread -- and I'm not convinced that poker is rigged. On the other hand, I am not going to blow off the idea that games might be fixed:

1.) Human nature is essentially selfish. People are motivated by greed and fear to maximize comforts and minimize pain, If juicing a poker site is hard to detect and profitable, why wouldn't someone do it?
2.) Poker and cheating are a long tradition. Poker was known as the cheating game in the 19th Century. Yardley remarked that off all the games in town, his was the only one that wasn't fixed.
3.) Juiced games are not easy to find. if the tweaks are subtle enough, they can be written off as variance. How many people their losses to the AP superusers was variance?

So don't beat up the rigtards so hard, okay?
Jabbershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:28 AM   #11111
spadebidder
Actually Shows Proof
 
spadebidder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: This looks interesting.
Posts: 7,906
re: The great "Poker is rigged" debate - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabbershot View Post
How many people [thought] their losses to the AP superusers was variance?
You started out ok, then this. I don't think variance means what you think it means. Actually I'm totally sure it doesn't.
spadebidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:34 AM   #11112
Andrew.s
Deactivated Rep Account
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3
re: The great "Poker is rigged" debate - Collected threads edition

I have noticed the same thing but over a much longer period of time. I have been questioning online poker for a while now and have actually started playing alot more live poker and my results are returning to where they were when the game was still sane.

I work in industry so I am privy to the software functionaltity of online sites and I cannot believe it is rigged or giving miracle cards to certain players even though it seems that way. It definately does not benefit any poker site to favour certain players.

My theory is rather simple but it is the only one that makes sense to me.
I believe the reason for the increase in the suck outs and bad beats is due to the influx of amateur players and gamblers. I think in past years you got to the river alot less than you do now because now certain players refuse to fold if they have hit 2nd pair or even bottom pair and therefore just on that point alone (not being able to get players to fold) you will experience more suck outs and bad beats.
Andrew.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:23 PM   #11113
solucky
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,480
re: The great "Poker is rigged" debate - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew.s View Post
I have noticed the same thing but over a much longer period of time. I have been questioning online poker for a while now and have actually started playing alot more live poker and my results are returning to where they were when the game was still sane.

I work in industry so I am privy to the software functionaltity of online sites and I cannot believe it is rigged or giving miracle cards to certain players even though it seems that way. It definately does not benefit any poker site to favour certain players.

My theory is rather simple but it is the only one that makes sense to me.
I believe the reason for the increase in the suck outs and bad beats is due to the influx of amateur players and gamblers. I think in past years you got to the river alot less than you do now because now certain players refuse to fold if they have hit 2nd pair or even bottom pair and therefore just on that point alone (not being able to get players to fold) you will experience more suck outs and bad beats.
You see the river more times 2003-2006..the problem is noone have the complete shuffling to analyse the games. You need all shuffled cards including whole cards and mucked hands.

They never rigg a deck that you can simple find ..i am sure that XX wins close to the expected time. Its more interesting to see all wholecards and the flop...but i dont have a tool to do this. If the site is rigged i am sure you find the secret in the dealt wholecards and the flop.
solucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:31 PM   #11114
Bingo_Boy
old hand
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,872
re: The great "Poker is rigged" debate - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by solucky View Post
You see the river more times 2003-2006..the problem is noone have the complete shuffling to analyse the games. You need all shuffled cards including whole cards and mucked hands.

They never rigg a deck that you can simple find ..i am sure that XX wins close to the expected time. Its more interesting to see all wholecards and the flop...but i dont have a tool to do this. If the site is rigged i am sure you find the secret in the dealt wholecards and the flop.
You have convinced yourself it is rigged without the holecard info and yet say that is where the secret is. So how did you unearth the secret without it?
Bingo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:25 PM   #11115
Markusgc
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Markusgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Noodles, Hockey & Punk Rock!
Posts: 8,788
re: The great "Poker is rigged" debate - Collected threads edition

frogythe knows how they DO it .Poker sites Program
Markusgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #11116
spadebidder
Actually Shows Proof
 
spadebidder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: This looks interesting.
Posts: 7,906
re: The great "Poker is rigged" debate - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markusgc View Post
That thread is the funniest stuff I've seen lately. I had to get up out of my chair almost crying.

Especially this:


Last edited by spadebidder; 12-15-2009 at 06:33 PM.
spadebidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:18 PM   #11117
otatop
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: unstuckpolitics.com
Posts: 12,727
re: The great "Poker is rigged" debate - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by solucky View Post
You see the river more times 2003-2006..the problem is noone have the complete shuffling to analyse the games. You need all shuffled cards including whole cards and mucked hands.

They never rigg a deck that you can simple find ..i am sure that XX wins close to the expected time.
You don't need to see every card to see if it's rigged slightly, so that hands that should win 80% of the time only win 78 or 79%. That would show up in any large sample knowing just one person's hole cards.

What you'd need to figure out is what benefit the site gains from having favorite hands win slightly less often than normal, how they could sneakily do this, and whether they'd make a profit from letting bad hands win slightly more often while keeping track of who's "due" to win with a worse hand/lose with a better one etc.
otatop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:16 PM   #11118
Jabbershot
grinder
 
Jabbershot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 495
re: The great "Poker is rigged" debate - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadebidder View Post
You started out ok, then this. I don't think variance means what you think it means. Actually I'm totally sure it doesn't.
"Variance" is just a of talking about luck.
Jabbershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:13 PM   #11119
Boxerz
veteran
 
Boxerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,033
If you were to believe poker is rigged

What site do you think would be rigged

Poll Coming
Boxerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:13 PM   #11120
HeavyTrev
adept
 
HeavyTrev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,189
Re: If you were to believe poker is rigged

first

/thread

Last edited by HeavyTrev; 12-15-2009 at 11:22 PM. Reason: That's the poll? Cereusly??
HeavyTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:26 PM   #11121
Autosuggestion
centurion
 
Autosuggestion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 142
re: The great "Poker is rigged" debate - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabbershot View Post
"Variance" is just a of talking about luck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk
Autosuggestion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:27 PM   #11122
rugmuncher
old hand
 
rugmuncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: getting into photography
Posts: 1,732
Re: If you were to believe poker is rigged

the blue pill
rugmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:30 PM   #11123
Boxerz
veteran
 
Boxerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,033
Re: If you were to believe poker is rigged

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugmuncher View Post
the blue pill
i care to dissent. red
Boxerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:30 PM   #11124
Khaos4k
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Khaos4k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 10,799
Re: If you were to believe poker is rigged

Cereusly?
Khaos4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:31 PM   #11125
Khaos4k
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Khaos4k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 10,799
Re: If you were to believe poker is rigged

Terrible poll.
Khaos4k is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive