Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > > >

Discussion of Poker Sites General discussion of online poker sites.

View Poll Results: Is Online Poker Rigged?
Yes 3,445 34.94%
No 5,522 56.00%
Undecided 893 9.06%
Voters: 9860. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 12:55 PM   #7676
DMoogle
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DMoogle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern VA, USA
Posts: 7,140
Re: The great "Poker is rigged debate" - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkoTheClown View Post
This sounds like a pretty good idea to me. You might want to do this at the micro stakes level because the site is going to grind a fee. After thousands of hands, it is going to add up. But...this might be a good investment if it answers your questions because playing and thinking that a site might be rigged sure effects your game. It is like playing with scared money, it just doesnt work...
You, or another person who thinks this theory is or might be true, can do this. I'm not going to because I think it's a ridiculous theory that's not true.
DMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #7677
DonkoTheClown
adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 741
Re: The great "Poker is rigged debate" - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markusgc View Post
Donko, I swear I mean this in the most constructive way possible...

If you spend the time and energy improving your game that it seems you intend to use checking out some figures to determine whether or not the sites are fair, I promise your results will improve. I strongly suggest you try that first.
Thanks Markusgc. Taken constructively. The only problem I have is that it is going to make it difficult for me to improve if I am influenced by the suspicion of being cheated. My goal is to clear this from my game and focus on getting better at the math because I am sure that I am leaving a good amount of EV on the table.

I will be the first to thank you guys for your help and to contribute on the side of "Not Rigged" if and when I reach this conclusion.

I get your point and it may be very obvious to you because you are at higher level of experience and understanding with all of this.
DonkoTheClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:01 PM   #7678
Rounding4Rent
journeyman
 
Rounding4Rent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 234
Re: The great "Poker is rigged debate" - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markusgc View Post
Donko, I swear I mean this in the most constructive way possible...

If you spend the time and energy improving your game that it seems you intend to use checking out some figures to determine whether or not the sites are fair, I promise your results will improve.

Mark you can't promise ****. If the game is rigged then his results will not improve - if the game is not rigged his results will improve. WHICH IS IT?

Obv I know your opinion. But you people need to stop dancing around here acting like you can guarantee online poker is not rigged - PROVE IT.
Rounding4Rent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:01 PM   #7679
DonkoTheClown
adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 741
Re: The great "Poker is rigged debate" - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMoogle View Post
You, or another person who thinks this theory is or might be true, can do this. I'm not going to because I think it's a ridiculous theory that's not true.
I hope you are right because I would like to make poker half of what I do for a living. I think I have what it takes because I am showing good results live. I do know that there is a big difference between brick and mortar and online though.
DonkoTheClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:04 PM   #7680
Markusgc
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Markusgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Noodles, Hockey & Punk Rock!
Posts: 8,788
Re: The great "Poker is rigged debate" - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkoTheClown View Post
Thanks Markusgc. Taken constructively. The only problem I have is that it is going to make it difficult for me to improve if I am influenced by the suspicion of being cheated.
yeah, I can appreciate that.

during your study, maybe you notice some of your bad habits and correct them at the same time.
Quote:
I get your point and it may be very obvious to you because you are at higher level of experience and understanding with all of this.
it never occurred to me that I was getting cheated, just that I needed to learn more. but if you've got it stuck in your head that it's possible, and have the perseverance to get this project completed, that's cool. but I honestly think that your time would be better spent reading HoH or the MTT Forum here.
Markusgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:04 PM   #7681
DonkoTheClown
adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 741
Re: The great "Poker is rigged debate" - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounding4Rent View Post
Mark you can't promise ****. If the game is rigged then his results will not improve - if the game is not rigged his results will improve. WHICH IS IT?

Obv I know your opinion. But you people need to stop dancing around here acting like you can guarantee online poker is not rigged - PROVE IT.
It would be so much easier if some of the higher level guys did show us their hand histories and their thinking on this because then the newer guys would not have to jump through all of the hoops to getting to the right conlusion. I have not seen anything done like this myself, but maybe someone has already done this?
DonkoTheClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:07 PM   #7682
Arouet
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Arouet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,433
Re: The great "Poker is rigged debate" - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounding4Rent View Post
Mark you can't promise ****. If the game is rigged then his results will not improve - if the game is not rigged his results will improve. WHICH IS IT?

Obv I know your opinion. But you people need to stop dancing around here acting like you can guarantee online poker is not rigged - PROVE IT.
Welcome back. We missed you R4R!
Arouet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:09 PM   #7683
KingOfFelt
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
KingOfFelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: West Coast
Posts: 7,233
Re: The great "Poker is rigged debate" - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman4hire View Post
LLLLLLLLLLLooooooooooLLLLLLLL
Im not hard to find at 5/10...But my intelect forbides me to engage with mindless fools who play on unregulated sites and trust them with money no matter how big or small That have cheated customers one way or another in the past and STILL continue to operate.
Good day sir.
PS love the zoo always GTD a jolly laugh
LOL
KingOfFelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:10 PM   #7684
DonkoTheClown
adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 741
Re: The great "Poker is rigged debate" - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markusgc View Post
yeah, I can appreciate that.

during your study, maybe you notice some of your bad habits and correct them at the same time.

it never occurred to me that I was getting cheated, just that I needed to learn more. but if you've got it stuck in your head that it's possible, and have the perseverance to get this project completed, that's cool. but I honestly think that your time would be better spent reading HoH or the MTT Forum here.
You are probably right. I am a bit obsessive and meticulous... LOL!
I am hoping that this character trait will be useful in my direction forward with online poker. It has worked pretty well in other areas of my life, but this is poker...not other areas in my life...lol
DonkoTheClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:13 PM   #7685
otatop
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: unstuckpolitics.com
Posts: 12,727
Re: The great "Poker is rigged debate" - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounding4Rent View Post
Mark you can't promise ****. If the game is rigged then his results will not improve - if the game is not rigged his results will improve. WHICH IS IT?
wat. So you're saying now that it's so rigged that no amount of improvement in your game will make any change on your results?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkoTheClown View Post
It would be so much easier if some of the higher level guys did show us their hand histories and their thinking on this because then the newer guys would not have to jump through all of the hoops to getting to the right conlusion. I have not seen anything done like this myself, but maybe someone has already done this?
You don't even have to look to higher level guys for this. Any of the PL/NL strat forums are full of this. Unless by "show their hand histories" you mean they've run their hands and seen if they run above, at, or below EV.
otatop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:13 PM   #7686
Markusgc
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Markusgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Noodles, Hockey & Punk Rock!
Posts: 8,788
Re: The great "Poker is rigged debate" - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounding4Rent View Post
Mark you can't promise ****. If the game is rigged then his results will not improve - if the game is not rigged his results will improve. WHICH IS IT?
the non-******ed one.

I steadfastly believe I was granted a Golden Account after I read all three HoH books. I think even you could get one by doing the same.
Quote:
Obv I know your opinion. But you people need to stop dancing around here acting like you can guarantee online poker is not rigged - PROVE IT.
I don't feel the need to prove it. I'm satisfied that I'm getting a fair shake. If you want to convince me or others it's rigged, then the burden of proof is on you.

However, if Donko follows my advice I'm sure he'll become a better player and not blame some lame conspiracy in $.25 NO RAKE MTT's preventing him from winning them every time.
Markusgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:38 PM   #7687
DMoogle
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DMoogle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern VA, USA
Posts: 7,140
Re: The great "Poker is rigged debate" - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkoTheClown View Post
It would be so much easier if some of the higher level guys did show us their hand histories and their thinking on this because then the newer guys would not have to jump through all of the hoops to getting to the right conlusion. I have not seen anything done like this myself, but maybe someone has already done this?
There are a LOT of really smart math guys with strong ethics in the online poker world. Nobody has EVER found any strong evidence that the deal is rigged at ANY of site that I know of.

FWIW, I disagree with the phrase "The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence," I think it very well can be evidence of absence, just not proof of absence.
DMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #7688
Rounding4Rent
journeyman
 
Rounding4Rent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 234
Re: The great "Poker is rigged debate" - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKUSGC
I'm satisfied that I'm getting a fair shake. If you want to convince me or others it's rigged, then the burden of proof is on you
First off, it is not either of our responsibilities to obtain the burden of proof. WHY IS IT, OUT OF ALL THE ONLINE POKER SITES, NOT ONE IS CONSISTENTLY REGULATED BY A TRUSTWORTHY ORGANIZATION? It is their job to offer the proof, not us.

Second off, you can have any opinion you want, just as I do. But the fact you come in here berating other people because of theirs makes you look like even more of a fool because you have no evidence to back up your beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKUSGC
and not blame some lame conspiracy in $.25 NO RAKE MTT's preventing him from winning them every time.
Another reason you probably don't believe online poker has the possibility to be rigged is because you don't understand simple business concepts/models.
Rounding4Rent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:42 PM   #7689
qpw
banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pulling the tails of rigtards
Posts: 4,019
Re: The great "Poker is rigged debate" - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounding4Rent View Post
Mark you can't promise ****. If the game is rigged then his results will not improve - if the game is not rigged his results will improve. WHICH IS IT?

Obv I know your opinion. But you people need to stop dancing around here acting like you can guarantee online poker is not rigged - PROVE IT.
When are you going to stop this shilling for RealDeal?

What's that you say?

You're not shilling?

Well: PROVE IT

Or stop posting this nonsense that a cretin with advanced alzheimers would be ashamed to admit to.

Have a nice day.
qpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:45 PM   #7690
Arouet
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Arouet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,433
Re: The great "Poker is rigged debate" - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounding4Rent View Post
Another reason you probably don't believe online poker has the possibility to be rigged is because you don't understand simple business concepts/models.
Who in this thread has ever said its not possible online poker is rigged?
Arouet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:47 PM   #7691
Rounding4Rent
journeyman
 
Rounding4Rent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 234
Re: The great "Poker is rigged debate" - Collected threads edition

Quote:
When are you going to stop this shilling for RealDeal?

What's that you say?

You're not shilling?

Well: PROVE IT
More incentive for you to! 1000$!!!
Rounding4Rent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #7692
DMoogle
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DMoogle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern VA, USA
Posts: 7,140
Re: The great "Poker is rigged debate" - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounding4Rent View Post
First off, it is not either of our responsibilities to obtain the burden of proof. It is their job to offer the proof, not us.
I'm going to accuse you right now of scamming me out of $5 million dollars. Prove you didn't, or pay me my $5M back. After all, using your logic the burden of proof is on you, is it not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounding4Rent View Post
WHY IS IT, OUT OF ALL THE ONLINE POKER SITES, NOT ONE IS CONSISTENTLY REGULATED BY A TRUSTWORTHY ORGANIZATION?
Explain how the Isle of Man Gambling Supervision Commission is not a trustworthy organization.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounding4Rent View Post
Second off, you can have any opinion you want, just as I do. But the fact you come in here berating other people because of theirs makes you look like even more of a fool because you have no evidence to back up your beliefs.
I'm going to guess you can't see how your "second off" contradicts your "first off".
DMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #7693
spadebidder
Actually Shows Proof
 
spadebidder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: This looks interesting.
Posts: 7,906
Re: The great "Poker is rigged debate" - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounding4Rent View Post
Another reason you probably don't believe online poker has the possibility to be rigged is because you don't understand simple business concepts/models.
It's pretty obvious that you don't with the non-sequiter statement. Nobody in this thread ever said it wasn't possible. But for large successful sites, the business case involves cost/benefit (where risk is also a cost) and the LRO for business decisions. This doesn't rule out any rigging, but it's a big factor.
spadebidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:59 PM   #7694
DonkoTheClown
adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 741
Re: The great "Poker is rigged debate" - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by otatop View Post
wat. So you're saying now that it's so rigged that no amount of improvement in your game will make any change on your results?

You don't even have to look to higher level guys for this. Any of the PL/NL strat forums are full of this. Unless by "show their hand histories" you mean they've run their hands and seen if they run above, at, or below EV.
Sorry, that is what I mean. I would like to see the data and the outcome connected to how they ran and if this was within statistical norm. I would also like to see stats on how someone ran during critical times like "All in with the best hand", "All in with most of your stack in", etc, etc.
DonkoTheClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:31 PM   #7695
spadebidder
Actually Shows Proof
 
spadebidder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: This looks interesting.
Posts: 7,906
Re: The great "Poker is rigged debate" - Collected threads edition

Worthless posts like the above make this thread useless and not worth reading. 3 column-feet to whine about normal hands with no information content whatsoever. One day I'll just quit checking back to this thread to avoid the cringe factor. Might start today.
spadebidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:33 PM   #7696
Blinky2099
adept
 
Blinky2099's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 900
Re: The great "Poker is rigged debate" - Collected threads edition

Hey guys look at the very common amount of times I lost coinflips and 65/35s POKER MUST BE RIGGED
Blinky2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #7697
Arouet
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Arouet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,433
Re: The great "Poker is rigged debate" - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadebidder View Post
Worthless posts like the above make this thread useless and not worth reading. 3 column-feet to whine about normal hands with no information content whatsoever. One day I'll just quit checking back to this thread to avoid the cringe factor. Might start today.
Spade, please don't abandon this thread. I love your posts and learn from almost all of them. Just put him on ignore.
Arouet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #7698
DMoogle
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
DMoogle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern VA, USA
Posts: 7,140
Re: The great "Poker is rigged debate" - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounding4Rent View Post
I made a deposit on OP this week just to have some fun - This is why I do not play OP:
Why did you deposit if you don't play?

I'm guessing live poker isn't for you either since those are just as standard live.
DMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:51 PM   #7699
burden2
banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 969
Re: The great "Poker is rigged debate" - Collected threads edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by qpw View Post
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzt.

WRONG!

Determining just how often you would expect a rare event to happen is one of the fundamental purposes of probability maths.
No your wrong. What you like to do is look at rare events and explain them away with extreme bias, which is the opposite of the application of probability to real world problems.

You look at all these graphs of expected diverging from actual as a function of time (or hands played whatever) and you start talking about variance even though variance is not phenomenon that is supposed explain relationships.
burden2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:53 PM   #7700
Rounding4Rent
journeyman
 
Rounding4Rent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 234
Re: The great "Poker is rigged debate" - Collected threads edition

Quote:
I'm guessing live poker isn't for you either since those are just as standard live.
Every game? No, don't think so.
Rounding4Rent is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive