Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Casino & Cardroom Poker Discussions of the activities, rules and etiquette of Live Casino and Cardroom Poker Venues.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2018, 05:05 PM   #101
Bene Gesserit
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Bene Gesserit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: my old Kentucky Home
Posts: 6,261
Re: On pointing your finger at people

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ88 View Post
After he min-raised from the cut-off.....
This thread has reached the point of no return....
Was it you that said, How long to the point of Know return?
Bene Gesserit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:07 PM   #102
AKQJ10
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: I've been all over. Now Seattle.
Posts: 12,719
Re: On pointing your finger at people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Crispen View Post
What's with people almost never asking their neighbors for change?
In WA, I was told by a nitty ex-cardroom owner that players (i.e. without a badge) are never supposed to touch another player's chips. She did allow that you might live on the edge and help a poor guy pick up his chips if he drops three racks on the floor.

Even in a less nitty room, if I want to color up stacks of red and someone else wants to rebuy, they won't let me take the cash and then buy green. We have to have a chiprunner bring the green. Then I can make change for their red, but even that is apparently a bit on the margins.

Galapagos Islands of poker!
AKQJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:23 PM   #103
bolt2112
old hand
 
bolt2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,637
Re: On pointing your finger at people

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKQJ10 View Post
In WA, I was told by a nitty ex-cardroom owner that players (i.e. without a badge) are never supposed to touch another player's chips. She did allow that you might live on the edge and help a poor guy pick up his chips if he drops three racks on the floor.

Even in a less nitty room, if I want to color up stacks of red and someone else wants to rebuy, they won't let me take the cash and then buy green. We have to have a chiprunner bring the green. Then I can make change for their red, but even that is apparently a bit on the margins.

Galapagos Islands of poker!
This takes us away from manners and into the realm of practicality. There are plenty of valid reasons that have nothing to with being rude or polite why a player should never handle another player's chips.

That being said, I've been known to reach into another player's stack to post his big blind while he's been working on a plate of food next to him. In that instance my neighbor usually thanks me for the assist. I've also seen and would approve of helping a player who physically struggles with handling chips (e.g. arthritis).

As for not making change, that's a bit extreme, but I'm guessing it has something to do with chip dumping, collusion, or possibly even money laundering if you want to be that paranoid.
bolt2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:38 PM   #104
AKQJ10
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: I've been all over. Now Seattle.
Posts: 12,719
Re: On pointing your finger at people

Me, I'd go with "The people governing poker in this state don't actually know anything about poker" (there is plenty of evidence of this) -- Occam's razor -- but you could be right.
AKQJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:46 PM   #105
dingusmcphee
enthusiast
 
dingusmcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 99
Re: On pointing your finger at people

The question about rational arguments hints at the real reason it’s offensive to some. It triggers an entirely irrational and almost instantaneous rage in some people.

Think about a chimpanzee. No one ever taught him human manners or southern hospitality or service etiquette. But, if you were to point directly at him, he would most likely rip your finger off and smash you until you made faint gurgling noises. Why? Because he can. There is no “reason” and he’s not posting about it.

I have done this in the human world. In my college days, I was on a bus going from Wales to London. As we were in traffic I saw a drunk “yob” outside of a pub in a city, and he could see me. For fun I simply pointed at him, with a neutral expression on my face. I kept pointing as he got more and more enraged. As he started stumbling toward the bus my gf was panicking and telling me to stop. I did not. Just as he was getting close to us, our bus lurched forward and we left.

If you think about the people in the poker room, a non-trivial amount make very poor life decisions and have poor impulse control. This is very, very good for a game like poker, but very, very bad for interpersonal interactions, as evidenced by umpteen threads about choking, fighting, etc. You can see them hiding prison tats with long sleeves, screaming about child support into flip phones, rocking vulgar shirts and spray tans, looking around for any sign of offense, any reason to scream “come at me, bro.”

Do not point at these folks. Do not point near them. Do not expect a good reason why.
dingusmcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:17 AM   #106
iamthepush
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 161
Re: Tipping CONTAINMENT thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillrob View Post
stupid and made it unclear where the exits were. .
ironic don't you think?


It's all about class. When you're at the Olive Garden and ask "where is the men's room?" The server will point and say "it's over there". When you're at SW at Wynn and ask, they'll walk you to it. Tucking your napkin into the front of your shirt doesn't hurt anyone, but makes you look like a dip****.

Some of you are like school in the summer....
iamthepush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:09 PM   #107
albedoa
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,557
Re: On pointing your finger at people

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingusmcphee View Post
my gf was panicking and telling me to stop. I did not.
That's so badass dude.
albedoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:04 AM   #108
dingusmcphee
enthusiast
 
dingusmcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 99
Re: On pointing your finger at people

Quote:
Originally Posted by albedoa View Post
That's so badass dude.


Thanks! Game recognizes game. I still drink free just for recounting the tale.
dingusmcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:04 AM   #109
branch0095
grinder
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 627
Re: On pointing your finger at people

I've always tried to be respectful and courteous to others throughout my life, which includes my day to day encounters with strangers. Please, thank you, excuse me, and always holding the door open for others no matter their age , sex, or ethnicity are just part of my every day routine. That said, seemingly everyone being "offended" by something is a big part of what's wrong with today's culture IMO. I'll just never understand it, but then again there's literally nothing that a person could say to me that would offend me, so I guess I'm just wired differently than many. People being offended because someone pointed with a single finger instead of using a full open hand?....ummm okay.
branch0095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:27 AM   #110
callipygian
slowrolled by tpiranha!
 
callipygian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: but I don't know which
Posts: 19,593
Re: On pointing your finger at people

Quote:
Originally Posted by branch0095 View Post
I've always tried to be respectful and courteous to others throughout my life, which includes my day to day encounters with strangers. Please, thank you, excuse me, and always holding the door open for others no matter their age , sex, or ethnicity are just part of my every day routine. That said, seemingly everyone being "offended" by something is a big part of what's wrong with today's culture IMO. I'll just never understand it, but then again there's literally nothing that a person could say to me that would offend me, so I guess I'm just wired differently than many. People being offended because someone pointed with a single finger instead of using a full open hand?....ummm okay.
Too bad your "respect and courtesy" for others doesn't include "implying doubt by using scare quotes."
callipygian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:48 PM   #111
branch0095
grinder
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 627
Re: On pointing your finger at people

Quote:
Originally Posted by callipygian View Post
Too bad your "respect and courtesy" for others doesn't include "implying doubt by using scare quotes."
Whatever you say buddy. We'd all be much better if people had thicker skin and weren't offended or insulted by innocuous actions that anyone with any common sense would realize they don't carry any malice or intent.
branch0095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:57 PM   #112
callipygian
slowrolled by tpiranha!
 
callipygian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: but I don't know which
Posts: 19,593
Re: On pointing your finger at people

Quote:
Originally Posted by branch0095 View Post
Whatever you say buddy. We'd all be much better if people had thicker skin and weren't offended or insulted by innocuous actions that anyone with any common sense would realize they don't carry any malice or intent.
The whole point of "respect and courtesy" is to understand what bothers people and not do that. Manners isn't a set of rules that grants you immunity from criticism, it's a guideline on how a certain set of people want to be treated (different cultures have different and often opposite ways of indicating respect - you keep your shoes on in some peoples' houses, you take them off in others', both are polite depending on what the host considers dirty).

You want to know the people who are truly respectful and truly courteous? The people who, upon hearing someone is offended, starts off with "I'm sorry" rather than "it's your fault."
callipygian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:27 PM   #113
branch0095
grinder
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 627
Re: On pointing your finger at people

Quote:
Originally Posted by callipygian View Post
The whole point of "respect and courtesy" is to understand what bothers people and not do that. Manners isn't a set of rules that grants you immunity from criticism, it's a guideline on how a certain set of people want to be treated (different cultures have different and often opposite ways of indicating respect - you keep your shoes on in some peoples' houses, you take them off in others', both are polite depending on what the host considers dirty).

You want to know the people who are truly respectful and truly courteous? The people who, upon hearing someone is offended, starts off with "I'm sorry" rather than "it's your fault."
I never said anything about blaming the person who was offended. We're talking about an innocuous hand gesture that while it may offend some people, it's a completely subconscious movement by others that don't believe there's any ill meaning behind it. That's the main point. No matter what you do in life, somebody, somewhere is going to take issue to it and deem it to be offensive.

If I do or say something accidentally that someone takes issue with, then by all means I'll apologize to them. A lot of people just need to have some common sense and realize that innocent and innocuous actions are just that, and just because they find it offensive it doesn't mean that it's perceived that way by others or done intentionally to upset them. It's gotten to the point though that people are expected to walk on egg shells so they don't risk offending someone, and that's completely ridiculous to me. Your bones aren't broken and your heart won't stop beating because you're offended, so move on and don't worry about it.
branch0095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:31 AM   #114
callipygian
slowrolled by tpiranha!
 
callipygian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: but I don't know which
Posts: 19,593
Re: On pointing your finger at people

Quote:
Originally Posted by branch0095 View Post
I never said anything about blaming the person who was offended.


Quote:
A lot of people just need to have some common sense
Quote:
It's gotten to the point though that people are expected to walk on egg shells so they don't risk offending someone, and that's completely ridiculous to me.
callipygian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:57 AM   #115
branch0095
grinder
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 627
Re: On pointing your finger at people

Quote:
Originally Posted by callipygian View Post
Obviously you're one of those who lack common sense..... and your rolleyes emoji is very offensive. You should be ashamed of yourself.
branch0095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:46 AM   #116
Chris Partlow
enthusiast
 
Chris Partlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 60
Re: On pointing your finger at people

True story:

Two drunk friends in the back seat of my car arguing. After about 10 mins the following occurs:

Friend 1: points and friend two and makes an aggressive statement
Friend 2: "point at me again and I'll break your finger"
Friend 1: points at friend two while still arguing
Friend 2: grabs said finger, bends it back and breaks it.

I will go to my grave believing the above is the only correct response to someone pointing at you while arguing.
Chris Partlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:13 PM   #117
callipygian
slowrolled by tpiranha!
 
callipygian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: but I don't know which
Posts: 19,593
Re: On pointing your finger at people

Quote:
Originally Posted by branch0095 View Post
Obviously you're one of those who lack common sense..... and your rolleyes emoji is very offensive. You should be ashamed of yourself.
No, because I make no claims about being respectful and courteous to all.

I think the easiest way for you to resolve your hypocrisy is to do the same. If you don't understand why pointing is rude, that's fine. I don't understand it either, just like I don't understand why people get uppity when elbows are on the table or why people object to socks and sandles. But what I do understand is that when someone tells me they're offended, I appologize instead of telling them they shouldn't be.
callipygian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:33 PM   #118
albedoa
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,557
Re: On pointing your finger at people

Quote:
Originally Posted by branch0095 View Post
always holding the door open for others no matter their [...] ethnicity
This thread is such a honeypot, I love it.
albedoa is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online