Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Casino & Cardroom Poker Discussions of the activities, rules and etiquette of Live Casino and Cardroom Poker Venues.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2020, 09:18 PM   #251
parisron
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
parisron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,567
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/2...16/index4.html

Cliffs: you have to wait until your state updates their system to take self employed people. Which some already have and other will be this week.
parisron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:45 PM   #252
FellaGaga-52
veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 2,678
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisron View Post
https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/2...16/index4.html

Cliffs: you have to wait until your state updates their system to take self employed people. Which some already have and other will be this week.
Thx. I wasn't going to do it anyway, but it looks hopeless. I just wondered about it. 1/3 thing nixes me plus I think the aftermath of all this isn't going to be too kosher.
FellaGaga-52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:46 PM   #253
parisron
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
parisron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,567
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

No the 1/3 thing is for the loan. Not for getting unemployment payment.
parisron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:58 AM   #254
answer20
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
answer20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Corner of Walk/Don't Walk
Posts: 7,903
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Poker may prove to be a little bit trickier for unemployment. But if you are a 'professional gambler' then it's going to be really easy to file for unemployment since all you need to do is attach your 1099 or an official win/loss statement to your claim application.

For poker players you will need to delve deeper into your 2018/19 Federal returns and provide the pages where you detail poker as a profession, probably Schedule C.

I helped my wife, a personal shopper, file yesterday and my state indicated that she would be eligible for a minimum of $160 per week (up to $362.50 maximum) PLUS the $600 extra payment. We'll see in 7 days what they do with her claim.

Remember that you will also have to have a qualifying reason. There were 10-12 of those in the application, but I didn't really examine them once I got to 'kids staying home from school' as our main reason to file on her behave. GL
answer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 12:26 PM   #255
pig4bill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 30,337
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lattimer View Post
Source? AFAIK this is neither proved nor disproved, they just don't know yet (about COVID-19 duh, not chicken pox).
One you have recovered you will have antibodies in your blood. How long they will last is the only thing they don't know, but it won't be for a few weeks. It will be months at a minimum, so said some doctor talking head on tv.
pig4bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 12:35 PM   #256
pig4bill
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 30,337
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpewingIsMyMove View Post
I got shingles a few weeks after I had Bell's palsey. Both were caused by having middle ear surgery where the nerve that hosts the varicella virus lives got agitated. Both were scary until diagnosed, then just annoying.
Don't sleep on shingles. It's highly contagious and if you think you might have it (a rash that suddenly appears) be careful and read up on it. If you get a severe case on your face you may lose your sight in an eye or two. If it was just "an annoyance" you got lucky.

edit: Also, once it starts you only have 3 or 4 days to get the prescription for it (can't remember what it's called) before it won't do any good. Supposedly it reduces the intensity of the shingles considerably. So be sure to tell the doc/nurse when you call so they get you in right away.

Last edited by pig4bill; 04-13-2020 at 12:43 PM.
pig4bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 05:42 PM   #257
Dennisa
veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,149
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah_fee View Post
Are cardroom even open? If not, how long do you think until some do open?
The 1 table cardroom down the street in San Rafael will probably open when bars and restaurants are allowed to inside patrons.

Commerce, Bike and The Gardens casinos will probably not be allowed to operate until sporting events and large theaters can open up again.

At least in California it will be dependent on how many people can congregate simultaneously in a location.
Dennisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 11:01 PM   #258
18000rpm
adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 995
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig4bill View Post
One you have recovered you will have antibodies in your blood. How long they will last is the only thing they don't know, but it won't be for a few weeks. It will be months at a minimum, so said some doctor talking head on tv.
South Korea reports more recovered COVID-19 patients testing positive again
18000rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 11:52 PM   #259
CowboyCold
veteran
 
CowboyCold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sweetwater, TX
Posts: 2,404
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Did you read the article? Or just the click bait headline?

Quote:
Officials are still investigating the cause of the apparent relapses. But Jeong Eun-kyeong, director of the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC), has said the virus may have been reactivated rather than the patients being re-infected.

Other experts said faulty tests may be playing a role, or remnants of the virus may still be in patients' systems but not be infectious or of danger to the host or others.
CowboyCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 10:06 AM   #260
DC2LV
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 2,768
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playbig2000 View Post
I don't think poker will ever be back to where it was before, I hope I'm wrong of course but looking at the casinos in China that have just reopened it's gonna be a whole new experience and players are not gonna wanna congregate in crowded places anymore, thats why it was dead even prior to everyone being shut down.
Here's a little story about a small group of 8 poker players who weren't concerned about the virus so they continued to hold their weekly poker game in a condominium's card room in South Florida. So far, 3 have died and the other 5 are infected. BTW, for any SoFla players here, at least some of the 8 used to play at Hard Rock in Hollywood and The Big Easy (formerly Mardi Gras) casino in Hallandale Beach. I wonder how many other poker players they might have infected before the casinos closed down last month.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronav...jee-story.html
DC2LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:47 PM   #261
michelle227
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 2,172
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2LV View Post
Here's a little story about a small group of 8 poker players who weren't concerned about the virus so they continued to hold their weekly poker game in a condominium's card room in South Florida. So far, 3 have died and the other 5 are infected. BTW, for any SoFla players here, at least some of the 8 used to play at Hard Rock in Hollywood and The Big Easy (formerly Mardi Gras) casino in Hallandale Beach. I wonder how many other poker players they might have infected before the casinos closed down last month.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronav...jee-story.html
According to the article, they were clearly in the at-risk demo, with the youngest of the three being 84 and the oldest having had several significant health conditions already under professional care.

Of the survivors,
Quote:
Molko said she is in her 70s and does not have any pre-existing conditions. Her husband, Ronald, is in his 80s and does not have any of the risk factors, either. Despite testing positive for the virus, he did not need to be hospitalized.
michelle227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 01:19 PM   #262
uberkuber
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,489
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

True gamblers will even gamble with their health it seems.
uberkuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:34 PM   #263
Austin Idol
newbie
 
Austin Idol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 42
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
I think there will be less than 500 deaths in the US. That's a bold statement considering 20,000 have died from the flu in the US this flu season. They dont close schools every year for the flu. They dont play professional and college basketball games with no fans in the stands every year for the flu. They don't do anything special about the flu. They just accept that 10,000s will die every year.

But my main point is that this virus is no worse than past viruses. The media is just doing everything they can to put everyone into full on panic mode and its working.
Might want to check your variables and rerun your sim on this...if that fails - maybe you need to reboot your computer, your estimate of 500 is way low. Today we are at 29,215 known reported (deaths) in the US. So you are off from a factor of 58.4 times your estimate.

Well maybe it is a bold statement you made - boldly wrong - but hey - everyone has been wrong before.

I guess this why you are a poker player and not a Health Scientist. You said to check back in a few weeks and you would say " I told you so " Hmm - what do you say now?

No need to respond - alot of people have under estimated the problem and over estimated the problem - everyone is not an expert in everything, but calling this a bad cold or a flu is alot like your estimate - way off.

just some thoughts- i dont what to have this come across as flaming you or anything, just offering some thoughts and opinions - just like you have done.

Keep Safe, in time the poker community will be back at the tables.
Austin Idol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:20 PM   #264
WTjed
banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 180
The Antebody Ante Tournament

Some predictions...

There will be no more live poker inside of a casino in 2020 in the USA.

Poker will be the last casino activity to resume.

The first live public poker games in the USA will be in Texas.

The first games will only be for people who can test positive for coronavirus antibodies onsite. It will take place at the end of July.

I also predict that there will be an "antebody ante tournament", perhaps to kick things off. To even enter the room you need to pass the antibody test.

Antibody tests might not mean that you are immune, see discussions elsewhere on this, but it is a indicator that if you do get it again, you probably won't die because you already survived once
WTjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:46 PM   #265
WTjed
banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 180
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2LV View Post
That is sad. I think I recognize the gentleman but it could just be from around town or Im mistaken, condolences go out either way. I think that by march 12th I had decided I would not play at Hard Rock because it has more of an out-of-town demographic and it is larger etc. Just risker. I don't play Mardi Gras. I last played Gulfstream about 1 week prior to this and remember washing my hands A LOT because the drum beat was getting louder. This was at a point where people just hadn't yet realized what type of stuff was about to go down. I would have played in home games that week too, in fact, I was hoping I would get a call. Sorry.
WTjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:56 AM   #266
cannabusto
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,679
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Jeeeeesus, that MikeStarr post. Yeah it's all a conspiracy! The media!!!! I know more than public health professionals because I have hot takes!! People like this ruin the world for the rest of us.
cannabusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:11 PM   #267
SK1992
stranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 1
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by art_vandelay View Post
I was thinking about this earlier today. Does live poker come back before a vaccine is available? If so, what changes are made to make it safer? Only electronic tables? Would you all play before a vaccine is available? If it is the same setup as before with 9 handed tables and physical chips and cards I canít see how I would.
The day after the Wynn/Mlife closed their poker rooms the Venetian/Orleans still had games running for a day or two. They were 3-max and 5-max handed tables. Those tweets are still on their respective twitters.

I remember checking Bravo to see who in the hell would be going to play poker during that time. And i remember distinctly seeing only 1 or 2 tables at the V. Didn't check the Orleans. So there were only a handful of players since the V was 3-max.

Macau reopened already and they took away every other slot machine and table game area. Every other seat was also taken out for blackjack/baccarat/etc.

For the rest of the year I think the ONLY way poker is available is 3-5 MAX handed. Obviously the nits and grinders will have to decide if they want to play in that. No way 8-9 handed is made available in 2020 considering poker is the most crowded game.

The seats next to the dealer will have to be empty and every other seat will probably need to be empty to comply with social distancing.
SK1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:20 PM   #268
parisron
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
parisron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,567
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

I read an article about Macau this morning that said in the poker room, there was a dedicated employee to wash each individual chip touched by a player.

That was the way it was worded but I assume they meant every time a player went to the cage to cash out, that all those chips were washed.

That would be interesting if they did that in Las Vegas upon opening again.
parisron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:21 PM   #269
Pork Fri Rize
Pooh-Bah
 
Pork Fri Rize's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Elbow reconstructive surgery center
Posts: 5,200
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Very intriguing...

https://news.yahoo.com/sunlight-dest...200745675.html
Pork Fri Rize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:10 AM   #270
WTjed
banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 180
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Fri Rize View Post
If this was bankable, S Florida would be doing way better right now but instead Miami is at the top of the pack for infections and deaths etc. South FL in March and April is similar to the rest of the country in summer time... only stronger UV rays and higher humidity still.

However, (trumpers can stop reading here this is above your level), I see they did link to the original study on the SSRN website and I see some respectable names behind it so it is not garbage. I was actually shocked at that that, I didnt think journalists did that sort of thing anymore, maybe I will consider adding yahoo news into my rss aggregator

Perhaps its worth pointing out that much of the country is still cold and we imported a lot of the virus down here... actually, all of it. In the summer, overall US conditions might be better I guess so it will matter.
WTjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 01:26 AM   #271
Pork Fri Rize
Pooh-Bah
 
Pork Fri Rize's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Elbow reconstructive surgery center
Posts: 5,200
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTjed View Post
If this was bankable, S Florida would be doing way better right now but instead Miami is at the top of the pack for infections and deaths etc. South FL in March and April is similar to the rest of the country in summer time... only stronger UV rays and higher humidity still.

However, (trumpers can stop reading here this is above your level), I see they did link to the original study on the SSRN website and I see some respectable names behind it so it is not garbage. I was actually shocked at that that, I didnt think journalists did that sort of thing anymore, maybe I will consider adding yahoo news into my rss aggregator

Perhaps its worth pointing out that much of the country is still cold and we imported a lot of the virus down here... actually, all of it. In the summer, overall US conditions might be better I guess so it will matter.

Florida passed it's peaks 2 weeks ago projected deaths by August are only about 1/4 of what they were 3 weeks ago. It's just starting to warm up . i would not be surprised if FL is the first top 10 state to get close to normal as others not NYNJ. Only thing I don't like is test results are lagging about a week from private labs, however case % has been stagnant and dropping over the last week which is great news where like 25% of the state is +65

Great resource state by state from ihme https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

Yes ihme has been off but with constant moving data that is not to be unexpected
Pork Fri Rize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 01:41 PM   #272
SpewingIsMyMove
veteran
 
SpewingIsMyMove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 3,050
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Fri Rize View Post
This may reduce the spread through secondary contact (Virus lands on a surface, person touches surface, then touches face). But I would be surprised if this impacts the spread through inhalation of airborne droplets.

I think most people suspect a seasonal drop in new infections will occur, but we need to be cautious about overestimating the effect of warmer, moister weather. If we let our guard down, the virus (which now has a much wider base from which to spread) could come back very hard, very fast.
SpewingIsMyMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 02:08 PM   #273
amazinmets73
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,295
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Fri Rize View Post
Florida passed it's peaks 2 weeks ago projected deaths by August are only about 1/4 of what they were 3 weeks ago. It's just starting to warm up . i would not be surprised if FL is the first top 10 state to get close to normal as others not NYNJ. Only thing I don't like is test results are lagging about a week from private labs, however case % has been stagnant and dropping over the last week which is great news where like 25% of the state is +65

Great resource state by state from ihme https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

Yes ihme has been off but with constant moving data that is not to be unexpected

Doctors have hypothesized that dry heat is best for dispelling the virus. Assuming that's true southwestern states should fare best.
amazinmets73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 05:11 PM   #274
Eponymous
Photoshop Comic Genius
 
Eponymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: How many letters do we have for thi
Posts: 4,567
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
Doctors have hypothesized that dry heat is best for dispelling the virus. Assuming that's true southwestern states should fare best.
Actually, they hypothesize that heat might be best for dispelling the virus for the reason that hot air is able to carry more humidity than cold air. It is thought that one of the reasons that the flu spreads in the colder months is because colder air is drier and can't carry as much water vapor. So it's actually humid southeastern states like Florida that would fare better than dry southwestern states under that hypothesis.

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/2003/2003.05003.pdf

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...vid-19-outcome
Eponymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:29 PM   #275
albedoa
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,855
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTjed View Post
If this was bankable, S Florida would be doing way better right now
Way better than what? You have no way of knowing what the effect of humidity has been on South Florida. "Number is big" does not imply "number could not be bigger".
albedoa is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online