Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Casino & Cardroom Poker Discussions of the activities, rules and etiquette of Live Casino and Cardroom Poker Venues.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2020, 09:12 AM   #226
DC2LV
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 2,771
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberkuber View Post
Yes, but it occurs somewhat rarely. And there's a vaccine for shingles.
Define "somewhat rarely."

According to the National Foundation of Infectious Diseases, roughly 1 in every 3 adult Americans will get shingles at sometime during their life. I don't know about you, but I don't consider that somewhat rare.

https://www.nfid.org/infectious-dise...es-for-adults/

Moreover, the shingles vaccine does not provide 100% protection from getting shingles.
DC2LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:15 AM   #227
DC2LV
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 2,771
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2LV View Post
Sadly, there were more than 500 deaths in NYC alone just in the last 24 hours.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/03/new-...yesterday.html

And according to Johns Hopkins, there have already been 6,058 deaths in the U.S. to this point in time. (Which is double from where we were when you posted just a few days ago.) We're already 10x MikeStarr's prediction, and unfortunately, we're still in the early stages of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore View Post
MS comments were ridiculous when made. But that was for NY state. Probably won’t have 500 in NYC alone for another day or two.
Thanks for the correction. Yes, that figure was for NYS, not NYC.

And speaking of MikeStarr, I see that he continues to peruse the forum, with his last visit being yesterday afternoon, but he still doesn't have the balls to post.
DC2LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:50 AM   #228
uberkuber
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,491
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2LV View Post
Define "somewhat rarely."

According to the National Foundation of Infectious Diseases, roughly 1 in every 3 adult Americans will get shingles at sometime during their life. I don't know about you, but I don't consider that somewhat rare.

https://www.nfid.org/infectious-dise...es-for-adults/

Moreover, the shingles vaccine does not provide 100% protection from getting shingles.
Well I stand corrected. Honestly didn't think it was that much.

I know the vaccine isn't 100% bullet-proof. It's rare that one is though.
uberkuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:12 PM   #229
SpewingIsMyMove
veteran
 
SpewingIsMyMove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 3,050
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by albedoa View Post
I got shingles last year in my mid-thirties! It's scary as hell when you don't know what it is, but otherwise it's just a temporary annoyance. Scarring is rare. There's no sign I ever had it now.
I got shingles a few weeks after I had Bell's palsey. Both were caused by having middle ear surgery where the nerve that hosts the varicella virus lives got agitated. Both were scary until diagnosed, then just annoying.
SpewingIsMyMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:38 PM   #230
Marshall28
veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,933
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playbig2000 View Post
I warned players in my room to cash out all their chips but they didn't seem to worry about it. I would call your casino and ask them if you can somehow do it.
Have tried. No one at Aria answers the phone.
Marshall28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:41 PM   #231
Fore
old hand
 
Fore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,668
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpewingIsMyMove View Post
I got shingles a few weeks after I had Bell's palsey. Both were caused by having middle ear surgery where the nerve that hosts the varicella virus lives got agitated. Both were scary until diagnosed, then just annoying.
I have never heard anyone who had a serious case of shingles describe it as annoying. My wife had a case and her description was incredibly painful. Definitely more than annoying to her.
Fore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:12 PM   #232
Fore
old hand
 
Fore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,668
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberkuber View Post
Why would you say it's "likely"?
Being a little pedantic but I did not say “likely”. I said possible and maybe likely.

Why I said that is maybe naive or optimistic but what I have heard about the virus, its history and the progress we appear to be making on treatments and vaccines. It seems this virus has some specific vulnerabilities which are also stable. I believe Our immune system will find these vulnerabilities and how to attack them. We may not become immune but I think if not immune our bodies willl grow to make at least a manageable sickness.
Fore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:11 AM   #233
amazinmets73
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,298
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore View Post
I have never heard anyone who had a serious case of shingles describe it as annoying. My wife had a case and her description was incredibly painful. Definitely more than annoying to her.
Had it when I was 20. Sickest I've ever been in my life. Definitely more than annoying.
amazinmets73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:44 AM   #234
uberkuber
veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,491
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore View Post
Being a little pedantic but I did not say “likely”. I said possible and maybe likely.

Why I said that is maybe naive or optimistic but what I have heard about the virus, its history and the progress we appear to be making on treatments and vaccines. It seems this virus has some specific vulnerabilities which are also stable. I believe Our immune system will find these vulnerabilities and how to attack them. We may not become immune but I think if not immune our bodies willl grow to make at least a manageable sickness.
Thanks for precising.

So our immune system would have an "exploitative" approach (find vulnerabilities and attack them) instead of playing GTO defense?
uberkuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:53 AM   #235
albedoa
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,855
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore View Post
I have never heard anyone who had a serious case of shingles describe it as annoying. My wife had a case and her description was incredibly painful. Definitely more than annoying to her.
At its height, it was certainly painful (hot showers sucked), but the relief of finding out what it was allowed me to treat and power through it. Sorry, I meant to emphasize the weirdness of having had it, not minimize its pain.
albedoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:12 PM   #236
SpewingIsMyMove
veteran
 
SpewingIsMyMove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 3,050
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore View Post
I have never heard anyone who had a serious case of shingles describe it as annoying. My wife had a case and her description was incredibly painful. Definitely more than annoying to her.
I had heard that as well, but aside from some throbbing, shooting nerve pain (which was not debilitating), it wasn't as bad as I had heard.
SpewingIsMyMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:10 PM   #237
borg23
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9,722
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore View Post
I have never heard anyone who had a serious case of shingles describe it as annoying. My wife had a case and her description was incredibly painful. Definitely more than annoying to her.
my grandfather had it a couple of years ago in his mid 80s and it was extremely painful for 6 weeks or so

it's supposed to be worse the older you are
borg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 03:31 AM   #238
art_vandelay
centurion
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 136
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by djshawk View Post
I think it's a bit overdramatic to say poker won't come back, but to expect it any time soon is unrealistic. There is bound to be a significant transition where distancing is commonplace and that's what we're seeing the early stages of in China. People have short memories and once getting on a train or drinking in a bar feel normal again enough people will relax and want to play poker. Personally I don't see how we can reach this stage until a vaccine is available, which looks like at least a year away.
I was thinking about this earlier today. Does live poker come back before a vaccine is available? If so, what changes are made to make it safer? Only electronic tables? Would you all play before a vaccine is available? If it is the same setup as before with 9 handed tables and physical chips and cards I can’t see how I would.
art_vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:02 AM   #239
answer20
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
answer20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Corner of Walk/Don't Walk
Posts: 7,914
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

It will be interesting for sure. How far can government go in it's enforcement of health rules? Remember that states can always be more restrictive than the Feds. So just because there's 'back to normal' poker in Vegas doesn't mean it will be allowed in other areas ... and certainly not all at once.

It comes down to responsibility and liability. Entering a casino might become a 'at your own risk' facility just like a sports stadium (baseball). Even if you were able to build/install/revamp for electronic tables they are still going to get touched. Yes, there's less community touching, but it's still a potential exposure to someone else's 'left overs'. Are the casinos really going to staff so that someone 'preps' a poker seat before the next Player sits down?

A vaccine would be nice, but is it really necessary if the strain does die out eventually? I certainly haven't been given any vaccines for the previous corona viruses that I know of ... there's been 18, eh,? They call this 19 for a reason.

They are talking about an antibody test to see if a person has already developed a resistance and didn't know it ... but how do you prove that you either 'took' the vaccine or have the antibodies? Does everyone carry around a medical card in order to go out in public?

I would assume that home games will pick up until more and more folks become comfortable back out in public. Then you will have the issue of disposable income to play .. and perhaps more influence at home to 'not' go out and be exposed to so many other people unnecessarily.

Lots more to come for sure ... GL
answer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:34 AM   #240
CowboyCold
veteran
 
CowboyCold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sweetwater, TX
Posts: 2,404
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

I think they call it Covid19 because it started in 2019.
CowboyCold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:03 PM   #241
dinesh
Pooh-Bah
 
dinesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,653
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by answer20 View Post
A vaccine would be nice, but is it really necessary if the strain does die out eventually? I certainly haven't been given any vaccines for the previous corona viruses that I know of ... there's been 18, eh,? They call this 19 for a reason.

They are talking about an antibody test to see if a person has already developed a resistance and didn't know it ... but how do you prove that you either 'took' the vaccine or have the antibodies? Does everyone carry around a medical card in order to go out in public?
Aye, as cowboy said, it is based on WHO naming standards and the year it was first discovered https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ct%20illnesses.

Quote:
On February 11, 2020 the World Health Organization announced an official name for the disease that is causing the 2019 novel coronavirus outbreak, first identified in Wuhan China. The new name of this disease is coronavirus disease 2019, abbreviated as COVID-19. In COVID-19, ‘CO’ stands for ‘corona,’ ‘VI’ for ‘virus,’ and ‘D’ for disease. Formerly, this disease was referred to as “2019 novel coronavirus” or “2019-nCoV”.

There are many types of human coronaviruses including some that commonly cause mild upper-respiratory tract illnesses. COVID-19 is a new disease, caused be a novel (or new) coronavirus that has not previously been seen in humans. The name of this disease was selected following the World Health Organization (WHO) best practice for naming of new human infectious diseases.

A vaccine helps try to get the strain to die out. One (hopefully) becomes immune to a virus or antigen in one of two ways:
1- you catch it, you maybe get sick, your body's immune system develops antibodies which kill it, and now you don't ever catch it again (unless it mutates)
2- you get a vaccine (which is something that fakes being CV) which triggers your body's immune system to develop antibodies against it, so if you get infected your body already knows how to fight it, so you don't get sick or pass it on before you kill it

Once enough people develop antibodies (through catching it or being vaccinated) the population develops herd immunity, which helps ensure the virus dies out and/or becomes isolated if it does re-appear.

Finally, yes, our government is specifically talking about issuing ID cards to people who have been tested and show antibodies to CV, meaning they are "safe" to be in public and/or work with sick people. Fauci has talked about it.

Note that these immunities can become worthless if the virus mutates quickly enough. Seasonal flues work this way. Your vaccine from last year is generally worthless this year because they have mutated since then.

Last edited by dinesh; 04-11-2020 at 12:14 PM.
dinesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 02:50 PM   #242
DC2LV
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 2,771
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

nvm, already answered.
DC2LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:11 PM   #243
Jah_fee
newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 38
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Are cardroom even open? If not, how long do you think until some do open?
Jah_fee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:49 PM   #244
Fore
old hand
 
Fore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,668
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyCold View Post
I think they call it Covid19 because it started in 2019.
Correct there are 7 human corona viruses including SARS, MERS and SARS2 (which is covid19).
Fore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:52 PM   #245
Trixie2
journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Vegas Baby
Posts: 309
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by answer20 View Post
It will be interesting for sure. How far can government go in it's enforcement of health rules? Remember that states can always be more restrictive than the Feds. So just because there's 'back to normal' poker in Vegas doesn't mean it will be allowed in other areas ... and certainly not all at once.
Also remember that states can pass laws and regulations in contrast to Federal laws. Take the case of marijuana for instance. It is still federally illegal but states have passed laws making it legal in their jurisdictions,

So we may eventually see states opening up for business in contrast to federal govt orders.

For those of you non U.S. based ppl, yes we are that screwed up and full of infighting here political...
Trixie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:11 PM   #246
desire
centurion
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 167
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberkuber View Post
Well I stand corrected. Honestly didn't think it was that much.

I know the vaccine isn't 100% bullet-proof. It's rare that one is though.
Make sure you get the latest shingles vaccine. Walmart administered the prior one to me and it is only 50-70% effective versus 95% for the latest one. Some vaccine vendors will deplete their older stock before administering the latest one. When I went to the pharmacist he apologized and said he was forced to deplete the older vaccine stock before getting into the newer stock, which he had on hand. I had to pay for the newer one because insurance said they weren't paying twice. My husband still suffers horribly for post-shingle nerve pain, going on two years. The doctor advised him it could be permanent. If you haven't had the vaccine, you'll rue the choice if you come down with it. It's a torturous virus.
desire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:41 PM   #247
Fore
old hand
 
Fore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,668
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Did I miss it? I do not recall a federal quarantine or orders that states lockdown? It has been suggested Trump would do so but he has not.

By the way that does not make us screwed up. It is how our federal system was designed. Far too hard to fully discuss here given entire careers have been spent researching and writing on the topic. But there is a reason our system has states (and a commonwealth) and not nor provinces, districts, regions, etc.

Our system is one of dual sovereignty. This is the basis of how it actually is possible to be tried twice for the same crime yet still not run afoul the Constitution. However, where these separates soverns are in conflict it is well established the seniority among them. With the pot laws there is not even a conflict. The conflict would exist only if the federal govt demand the states enforce the federal law and noth that of the state. As long as the feds do their own enforcement no conflict exists.
Fore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:00 PM   #248
albedoa
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,855
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore View Post
Did I miss it? I do not recall a federal quarantine or orders that states lockdown? It has been suggested Trump would do so but he has not.
No, you didn't miss anything. That comment does not make sense.
albedoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:05 PM   #249
albedoa
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,855
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

Such misconceptions are popular though. My wife's family in New Hampshire are certain that it is illegal to go outside in Boston without a mask on. That was news to us as Bostonians.
albedoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:15 PM   #250
FellaGaga-52
veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 2,733
re: General poker-related coronavirus discussion, argument, and jibber jabber

What about poker players filing for unemployment because the casinos are closed? Something like independent contractor out of work in corona lock down. Is that a thing or go fish?
FellaGaga-52 is online now   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online