Open Side Menu Go to the Top
Register
Dealers and The Wynn Poker Room Dealers and The Wynn Poker Room

05-23-2024 , 09:22 PM
Totally agree with Fore.

I think there's also a difference between dealers who talk a lot but to the whole table, vs dealers who end up in those intense 1-on-1 conversations with a player that drive me nuts. (Plus less attention to the game.) A dealer who acts like an MC can still pay attention because they're not looking at any 1 person for too long and it's not a deep conversation.

One type is good for the table, and the other is bad.
Dealers and The Wynn Poker Room Quote
05-25-2024 , 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore
Most who do it think they can do both and both well. Very few can and I REALLY disagree that most longtimers can. Also disagree with it at higher stakes. Honestly the higher the stakes the less the dealer should be saying.
When I've dealt games at the nosebleed stakes, the players generally already know each other and have played together a lot. They're generally engaged in a lively conversation and the last thing they need is a dealer to entertain them.

On the other hand, a 1-2 NL table can have a couple of outgoing players who are there solely to have fun and be social or it can be completely void of conversation. If I sit down at the latter, I'm going to try to initiate some kind of discussion to get people engaged with each other and to have more fun. This is better for my bottom line as a dealer, but it's also better for the game. Instead of quietly disengaging and nitting it up they're more likely to get involved in hands and to be a part of the game rather than staring at their phones and waiting to look down at pocket pairs or AK.

Quote:
How often can you recall a dealer having a conversation with a player on any High Stakes poker episode? Poker After Dark? WSOP featured table?
If I'm dealing a streaming or televised game, I'm aware of it and I'm going to treat it as if I was auditioning for a job. I'm doing everything by the book, and I'm not taking any of the shortcuts I might typically do (putting out the turn before I bring in all of the bets) and I'm probably not saying a word other than to answer a question a player asks me about the action or to say "thank you" when I receive a tip.
Dealers and The Wynn Poker Room Quote
05-25-2024 , 01:32 PM
Things that dealers do that are mutually beneficial


1. No mistakes
2. Positive non intrusive presence
3. Available to participate in table talk with pros and recs without alienating either
4. Understand how to navigate working for the house AND the players
5. Respectfully handle disgruntled players(this can be tough)


I can see how new dealers might not understand how to fit in while maintaining their #1 priority of running the game efficiently but in my opinion its crucial to success long term
Dealers and The Wynn Poker Room Quote
05-26-2024 , 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore
How often can you recall a dealer having a conversation with a player on any High Stakes poker episode? Poker After Dark? WSOP featured table?
These are completely different situations and I think you know that. These are tv shows and the dealers are instructed not to say anything because the producers donít want the dealers to be part of the show or take any of the spotlight away from the players.
Dealers and The Wynn Poker Room Quote
05-28-2024 , 08:22 AM
That's a huge difference between a 'Production' and a 'Stream'. Most of the streams do identify the Dealers and use them for 'white noise' comments to fill the airtime.

I don't even think the Dealers have a headset for PAD, HSP or NGNF. It's possible they do because of the dramatic pauses for the all-ins.. They only time I remember them being included is when someone says they'll tip extra for one reason or another. GL
Dealers and The Wynn Poker Room Quote
05-29-2024 , 03:12 PM
I’ve been playing some limit hold ‘em again which puts most of my play back at The Bellagio. And it’s clear they’ve been working with their dealers since they now seem to be at Wynn quality level.

Mason
Dealers and The Wynn Poker Room Quote
06-10-2024 , 06:49 PM
Played at the Venetian this past weekend a bit and the quality of the average dealer was horrendous. They had dealers in PLO that couldn't figure out pot, couldn't figure out how to quarter in double board bomb pots, etc.

Also lots of dealers that were talking way too much. One would make 2-3 jokes every hand and then crack up at himself as everyone at the table was eye rolling.

I think in the future even if I am staying at Venetian I will make the trip across the street to Wynn. I agree the dealers at Wynn are fantastic.
Dealers and The Wynn Poker Room Quote
06-10-2024 , 10:35 PM
I went there last time I was in town because they had a Big O cash game (during a big O tournament). It was very good action for a bit before getting bad but I agree about the dealers. They had no idea what to do and were too fast and reckless about splitting giant pots and quartering and I had to stop them several times so things wouldn’t be completely screwed up. They also talked way too much with the regulars. Finally though not having to do with the dealers they had ultimate last action for button straddles which is terrible. Places like Wynn are hard to beat (also like Resorts World for the mixed games and overall vibe).
Dealers and The Wynn Poker Room Quote
06-11-2024 , 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatoKrazy
Played at the Venetian this past weekend a bit and the quality of the average dealer was horrendous. They had dealers in PLO that couldn't figure out pot, couldn't figure out how to quarter in double board bomb pots, etc.

Also lots of dealers that were talking way too much. One would make 2-3 jokes every hand and then crack up at himself as everyone at the table was eye rolling.

I think in the future even if I am staying at Venetian I will make the trip across the street to Wynn. I agree the dealers at Wynn are fantastic.
Much, but not all, of poker management has little understanding of how bad the dealers are (in many places). This not only hurts the games, it hurts the revenue that the poker room should collect, and it hurts the dealers in reduced tips.

However, the tide seems to be turning as more poker room managers seem to be aware of the problem. But in many poker rooms, there's still a long way to go.

Mason
Dealers and The Wynn Poker Room Quote
06-11-2024 , 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Malmuth
Much, but not all, of poker management has little understanding of how bad the dealers are (in many places). This not only hurts the games, it hurts the revenue that the poker room should collect, and it hurts the dealers in reduced tips.

However, the tide seems to be turning as more poker room managers seem to be aware of the problem. But in many poker rooms, there's still a long way to go.

Mason
Plot twist:

My conspiracy is that the Managers know that they have subpar dealers, hiring dealers that are jussssst good enough to get the job done, which increases the safety of their job at the top....
Dealers and The Wynn Poker Room Quote

      
m