Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Casino & Cardroom Poker Discussions of the activities, rules and etiquette of Live Casino and Cardroom Poker Venues.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 02:04 PM   #1401
Dealer-Guy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dealer-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dealing with it, one hand at a time
Posts: 6,135
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinesh View Post
Brag: David Milch went to my high school. My 10th grade English teach wrote an episode of HSB with him.
I loved HSB. I was in law enforcement at the time it aired originally.
Dealer-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #1402
Rapini
ragging
 
Rapini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: DC
Posts: 13,072
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfapfap View Post
Sorry, Rapini, I didn't mean to ignore you earlier.

I dont want to get in too much detail, but it's awful for dealers everywhere. Rooms aren't getting any bigger, but the schools keep crapping out new dealers. Hardly anybody in Vegas is full-time, so no benefits or job security.

And I hear through the grapevine that the new Midwestern casinos are REJECTING those with experience because they want to train people on their policies.

Far more supply than demand right now. I'm only working because of the extremely good graces of someone else, which has turned bittersweet because his job was recently eliminated.

I was lucky that I ran away from my previous life and joined the circus when I did. At least I have some experience and skills to help me.
Thanks for the info. Pretty sickening stuff and it's no solace that it matches up with almost every other job market out there right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadstriker View Post
Preach it.

I had a player who I did not recognize today say to me, "So you got married since the last time I saw you!"

He noticed my wedding band. He remembered I didn't have one before. I don't even know the fellow by face or name. It made quite an impression.
That's amazing.
Rapini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:28 AM   #1403
Lord_Strife
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Lord_Strife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 6,495
What should be your policy on posted in competitors threads? A room that I play a lot of hours in frequently has the poker room manager taking shots at me online because he's assuming that I'm out to get him and that I'm obviously the enemy because I work for a rival. It's getting pretty annoying. Everyone from outside the situation that sees it just laughs because I try to remain as anonymous as I can to not stir the pot, but I can't help but voice concerns if I have them *as a player*
Lord_Strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:21 AM   #1404
youtalkfunny
dumbest smart person his mom knows
 
youtalkfunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: I can't believe it, either!
Posts: 21,602
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

Stop posting about his room. If his room is so bad, then don't play there.

If you're still going to play there, then it isn't so bad, so stop complaining. It doesn't look good.
youtalkfunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #1405
NewLiveFish
grinder
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 481
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Strife View Post
What should be your policy on posted in competitors threads? A room that I play a lot of hours in frequently has the poker room manager taking shots at me online because he's assuming that I'm out to get him and that I'm obviously the enemy because I work for a rival. It's getting pretty annoying. Everyone from outside the situation that sees it just laughs because I try to remain as anonymous as I can to not stir the pot, but I can't help but voice concerns if I have them *as a player*
You aren't just a player. You work for the competition. If you really wanted to effect changes, you'd speak to the manager directly as a fellow industry employee. I haven't seen the posts, but automatically would assume that you are bashing your firm's competitor. This isn't the place to say, "XYZ poker room's service sucks compared to their competitors" in this situation.

And from an outsider's point of view, if you saw a review of a Burger King sandwich and knew that the person worked for McDonalds, how much weight would you give that complaint?

Last edited by NewLiveFish; 12-13-2011 at 10:01 AM.
NewLiveFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:35 AM   #1406
UGotTheTouch
adept
 
UGotTheTouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 789
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfapfap View Post
I dont want to get in too much detail, but it's awful for dealers everywhere. Rooms aren't getting any bigger, but the schools keep crapping out new dealers. Hardly anybody in Vegas is full-time, so no benefits or job security.

And I hear through the grapevine that the new Midwestern casinos are REJECTING those with experience because they want to train people on their policies.
I did my 5 years in Vegas. I'm only ever going back to Vegas now as a tourist. With the constant expansion of gaming there's just no need to try and work in Vegas.

I haven't heard anything about outright rejections with the Midwest casinos, especially with the two Harrahs-owned Ohio casinos, just presuming so with Harrahs/Caesars being Harrahs/Caesars.

Plus, that would be dumb. If a person is experienced, teach them your policies! What's so hard about that? But again, I presume you're talking about Harrahs/Caesars, and, well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dealer-Guy View Post
Reading this I recall that I failed to comment on a post made by Psandman on a similar subject. I mentioned a dealer left WinStar to go to Las Vegas and look for work shortly after teh WSOP ended and during a period of time when LV had 13.45% unemployment.

Psand offered the opinion that some people would rather be unemployed in Las Vegas than work in Oklahoma.
Unfortunately, this is true, and isn't just confined to Oklahoma. I know when PA/DE opened up, the people with ties to Vegas tried to get people to come for the new market, and people refused to leave Vegas.

People would rather have miserable jobs in the Vegas weather than good jobs in northeast weather.
UGotTheTouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #1407
youtalkfunny
dumbest smart person his mom knows
 
youtalkfunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: I can't believe it, either!
Posts: 21,602
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

Room I work in closed Christmas Eve and Christmas morning, reopened Christmas night (thanks, Boss!). First few hours after reopen featured the craziest spectacle I've ever seen. Table after table of total silence. Nobody was chatting, nobody was talking about the weather or fantasy football, zero conversation at the tables, hour after hour.

It loosened up after a few hours, but those few hours were painful to watch.
youtalkfunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #1408
pfapfap
HP JoY 2011 wienerbucket
 
pfapfap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ...
Posts: 22,539
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

I don't know if that "point the R towards the seat" for the button thing was in this thread, but I started doing it, and holy cow is it great!
pfapfap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:59 PM   #1409
Lord_Strife
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Lord_Strife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 6,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfapfap View Post
I don't know if that "point the R towards the seat" for the button thing was in this thread, but I started doing it, and holy cow is it great!
I don't get it. Refresh us if it was in this thread?
Lord_Strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:33 PM   #1410
pfapfap
HP JoY 2011 wienerbucket
 
pfapfap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ...
Posts: 22,539
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

When you move the button, point the "R" on "DEALER" towards the player. That way you know who it is in those times when it's sorta between, and you also know if someone's moved it.
pfapfap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #1411
Lord_Strife
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Lord_Strife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 6,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfapfap View Post
When you move the button, point the "R" on "DEALER" towards the player. That way you know who it is in those times when it's sorta between, and you also know if someone's moved it.
Pretty solid advice, I love little tricks like this.

At my room our rake reduction happens at 6 players and it becomes $3 max, so I put a 3rd man walking button on the rake slide to remind me

Another thing I do is I always forget to wash the deck when stupid superstitious players ask me to, so I've started using a clear lamer just right in front of the bank so I'll see it when I go to square up the deck.

Lemme think of some more
Lord_Strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:06 PM   #1412
youtalkfunny
dumbest smart person his mom knows
 
youtalkfunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: I can't believe it, either!
Posts: 21,602
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Strife View Post
Pretty solid advice, I love little tricks like this.

At my room our rake reduction happens at 6 players and it becomes $3 max, so I put a 3rd man walking button on the rake slide to remind me
Hope I remember to start doing this.
youtalkfunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:20 AM   #1413
psandman
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
psandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vegas
Posts: 15,832
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by youtalkfunny View Post
Hope I remember to start doing this.
Not a big fan of this. One room I used to work decided they needed rake reduction buttons (after a massacre one night when surveillance went went hunting for dealer heads). I don't like doing anything that may alert the players about rake issues ..... Of course if your room has automatic rake reductions I guess it doesn't matter
psandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:26 AM   #1414
bav
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
bav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vegas
Posts: 8,125
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by psandman View Post
Not a big fan of this. One room I used to work decided they needed rake reduction buttons (after a massacre one night when surveillance went went hunting for dealer heads). I don't like doing anything that may alert the players about rake issues ..... Of course if your room has automatic rake reductions I guess it doesn't matter
I used to think the Rake Reduction placards were silly, but I've come to appreciate 'em. Imagine the scenario where you drop to 6 players, ask for a reduction, play a couple hands, a new player shows up and sits, plays one hand, and a player gets up and leaves. You're back at 6. But gee, because the table was at 7-handed for a single hand, the dealer is required to silently go back to full rake, and cannot mention this nor mention when the 7th player leaves that the rake is still full. So you merrily play for the next 30 minutes at full rake until someone finally notices. Or you're playing with a reduced rake, dealer pushes, and new guy isn't told so he silently takes full rake for 5 or 10 hands until someone notices.

In placard rooms, it's very obvious when I need to ask. So they may have started using those things to let surveillance know, but I find it helpful. On the other hand, putting some special lammer on the alligator that indicates the same thing without being a flashing neon "RAKE REDUCTION" bold-faced sign is a nice compromise that won't alert the newbies about rake.
bav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #1415
psandman
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
psandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vegas
Posts: 15,832
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bav View Post
I used to think the Rake Reduction placards were silly, but I've come to appreciate 'em. Imagine the scenario where you drop to 6 players, ask for a reduction, play a couple hands, a new player shows up and sits, plays one hand, and a player gets up and leaves. You're back at 6. But gee, because the table was at 7-handed for a single hand, the dealer is required to silently go back to full rake, and cannot mention this nor mention when the 7th player leaves that the rake is still full. So you merrily play for the next 30 minutes at full rake until someone finally notices.
You kind of make my point for me. I understand why you like them as a player...... And I don't disagree.

But I think its a bad idea from the houses perspective.

Lately I have been playing a lot on the graveyard shift. I have not even been asking for reductions because I don't want to bring to the other players attention that the game is short handed ...... I would rather play at full rake than have the game break.
psandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #1416
Lord_Strife
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Lord_Strife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 6,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by bav View Post
On the other hand, putting some special lammer on the alligator that indicates the same thing without being a flashing neon "RAKE REDUCTION" bold-faced sign is a nice compromise that won't alert the newbies about rake.
This

It's subtle, nobody notices it but me, and it reminds me to alert the incoming dealer also
Lord_Strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #1417
youtalkfunny
dumbest smart person his mom knows
 
youtalkfunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: I can't believe it, either!
Posts: 21,602
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

BBJ hit at work this afternoon. One of the two big winners, it turns out, had been 86'd from the place. Whoopsie! He didn't get paid. The other players did.
youtalkfunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #1418
Dealer-Guy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dealer-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dealing with it, one hand at a time
Posts: 6,135
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by youtalkfunny View Post
BBJ hit at work this afternoon. One of the two big winners, it turns out, had been 86'd from the place. Whoopsie! He didn't get paid. The other players did.
I assume that the money he would have won was returned to the players pool or was it divided among the other winners?
Dealer-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:53 AM   #1419
Ramon Scott
old hand
 
Ramon Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,355
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfapfap View Post
So this is the chatter thread for low-content gaming employees?

Perfect!

Speaking of things you say to 'clever' comments, what are some of your retorts to...

* Double down!
* (from UTG who folded, after table limps around): Give me back my cards!
* (after hand, where unlikely holdings would make a huge hand): Dealer, I would have won that one!
"I would have made a Boat!"

Me: "Oh, Sorry, Steve, I'm going to give this pot to Rachel, she would've had a full house. Honor system, here."
Ramon Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:48 AM   #1420
youtalkfunny
dumbest smart person his mom knows
 
youtalkfunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: I can't believe it, either!
Posts: 21,602
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dealer-Guy View Post
I assume that the money he would have won was returned to the players pool or was it divided among the other winners?
I assume the same, can't say for certain though. The controversy was just whipping up as I was leaving.

You know what else happened as I was leaving? I decided to quit playing poker. I don't win any more, and I don't enjoy it, so what's the point? It's going to be tough, I've been playing almost 20 years, it's a huge part of my self-image/identity, if that makes any sense. It almost feels like a divorce, and no, I'm not joking.

Last edited by youtalkfunny; 01-02-2012 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Perhaps "I don't win any more" should be edited to "I suffer massive losses almost every single session..."
youtalkfunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #1421
lmcjaho
grinder
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 520
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by youtalkfunny View Post
BBJ hit at work this afternoon. One of the two big winners, it turns out, had been 86'd from the place. Whoopsie! He didn't get paid. The other players did.
This deserves a thread in BBV IMO. That is awesome.

We had a couple of players in the room last night who were suspected of being underage by some of the other players. They had shown ID to get in but there was suspicion the ID was fake. One of the players started needling them saying if they hit the BBJ they won't get paid etc. They were adamant that the ID was real but the rest of the table made a couple more cracks throughout the night and I suspect they were lying.
lmcjaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #1422
youtalkfunny
dumbest smart person his mom knows
 
youtalkfunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: I can't believe it, either!
Posts: 21,602
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

I've got to imagine that fake IDs are a lot tougher to make nowadays than they were back in the day.
youtalkfunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #1423
Dealer-Guy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dealer-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dealing with it, one hand at a time
Posts: 6,135
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

I have a couple of questions for dealers and floors. These are based on things I over heard at the table recently.

1. "I don't understand why dealers can't play here when 95% of the casinos in the rest of the world let dealers play where they work."

How many casinos let their dealers play where they work? This isn't a discussion about if dealers should play where they work but how prevalent is the practice? 95% seems way high.

2. "Dealer, I don't get lost, you can stop telling me when it's my turn." This unsolicited remark was made by a player some time back and I've never seen him since then. Apparently he wanted me to stop gesturing towards him when the action was on him but make sure everyone else was paying attention.

Has anyone else had a player object to being reminded when it was his turn?
Dealer-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #1424
Shiftyeye7
veteran
 
Shiftyeye7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,111
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

just a player so i won't comment on 1

re: 2, i've seen players who don't like being told it's their action and respond with a very sarcastic "I KNOW THAT" (usually followed by a check or fold.) these people are generally a-holes anyway. are you reminding players verbally, or with a hand motion? i think you're much less likely to annoy a player with a silent table tap in their direction.
Shiftyeye7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #1425
MJ88
veteran
 
MJ88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,935
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dealer-Guy View Post
...Has anyone else had a player object to being reminded when it was his turn?
I see this happen from time to time, with players' reactions ranging from good-humored to irritated. ("I know... I'M THINKING!!) But IMO the minimal harm caused by unnecessarily prompting a player is way offset by the good that is done other times to keep the game moving. For every time that someone reacts as above, I think it happens several times that a player doesn't realize the actions's on them and is waiting for someone else to act, or has mentally folded without actually doing anything, and is just daydreaming (indefinitely). So just keep on doing it, please.
MJ88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online