Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Casino & Cardroom Poker Discussions of the activities, rules and etiquette of Live Casino and Cardroom Poker Venues.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #2576
Dealer-Guy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dealer-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dealing with it, one hand at a time
Posts: 6,135
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapini View Post
Christmas gift suggestion for your boss: crystal ball.

Is August typically slow near you? Here in DC, it's the slowest month of the year because of Congress break, lawyers and judges taking vacations, etc.
This is day 2 of our big annual event. I'll be working 19 days in a row, at least 8 hours per day.
Dealer-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:21 AM   #2577
NYCNative
veteran
 
NYCNative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Upper Darby, PA
Posts: 2,954
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

I got in the box tonight and all I could think about were unappreciative *******s who found no rudeness in asking me what my hourly wage is, worrying that I make money that I don't deserve, how I should feel lucky that I have a job at all, how anyone that dares tip a dealer more than a dollar under any circumstance was an idiot because even a monkey could do my job and how dare they...

I actually had one of the best night of my life, but the first hour, I was just bogged down with negativity. I fought through it, fortunately, which led me to the great night (and a lot of luck such as dealing the High Hand and pushing some big pots to the right people). But why should I have to fight through negativity when, without it, I go into work enthusiastic, always wondering what the next hand will bring?

So yeah, I am done with that other thread (I am pretty sure you know which one I am referring to). You guys who never go there are smarter than I am. If you ever see me go back on my word and enter that lion's den again, send me a PM and tell me I am an idiot.
NYCNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #2578
Rapini
ragging
 
Rapini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: DC
Posts: 12,378
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCNative View Post
So yeah, I am done with that other thread (I am pretty sure you know which one I am referring to). You guys who never go there are smarter than I am. If you ever see me go back on my word and enter that lion's den again, send me a PM and tell me I am an idiot.
I was thinking about doing that a couple weeks ago when you started to lose it in there, but I figured you're an adult and you can make your own decisions. It's good that you decided to get away from it though. That thread was created basically as flypaper for trolls and it's worked really nicely in that capacity.

If you go back to the beginning of it there's some decent discussion, but recently it's been mostly useless.
Rapini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #2579
klezmaniac
old hand
 
klezmaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: on the right side of the river
Posts: 1,410
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCNative View Post
Ignore the haters, man.

No matter what you do in life or where you go, there are gonna be haters. If they can't hate on one thing, then they'll hate on something else. A hater's gonna hate: it's what gives them pleasure. Don't fall into their trap.

Keep a positive attitude. Life is so much better when you have one.


--klez
klezmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #2580
NYCNative
veteran
 
NYCNative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Upper Darby, PA
Posts: 2,954
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

A friendly player who knows you by name is part of a tournament chop. You are running chips and at the cage when he is getting paid and he actually goes out of his way, when he sees the tourney toke box, to say to you "we're working a chop out, but don't worry, we'll get you guys."

A few minutes later, you are out on the floor doing your chip run, and you witness the player go to a dealer who you like personally and think is one of the best dealers in the room and see him giving her some cash which she accepts with gratitude and puts in her box.

Taking a tournament toke for yourself is against the rules. However, it is not impossible the dealer took the toke to be polite (and make sure the player didn't have a change of heart if asked to put it in the tournament toke box) and put it in her box (because where else can she put it?), with the idea of cracking it open at the first opportunity and putting it where it belongs. This is plausible, but you have no idea either way.

At this point you could handle it several ways - you can talk to the dealer after the push, you can talk to a supervisor, you can just ignore it. What do you do here? If it matters, you dealt one tournament down - and it was to the nice player, coincidentally enough.

Then before you even finish your chip run (and before the dealer was pushed) the main supervisor asks you "did you see a player give _______ cash just before?" He apparently saw it, or enough of it, and now, you can either tell the truth and be "that guy" who rats out a co-worker, or feign ignorance but know that you are lying to your boss about something that you saw which is against the rules and actually cost you money (not very much, but still).

How do you guys handle this?
NYCNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #2581
AKQJ10
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: I've been all over. Now Seattle.
Posts: 12,697
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

Well, I don't work in the industry, but as a general principle once the boss asks then I think you have to be truthful. Whether she's handling it the appropriate way or not, it's not your responsibility to put your career on the line to cover for her.
AKQJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #2582
Quadstriker
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Quadstriker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 15,016
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

^Pretty much this
Quadstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #2583
Quadstriker
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Quadstriker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 15,016
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

also lol @ posting in the cesspool thread. Come on man! That's for trolls, fleas, and people who just want to argue nonstop.
Quadstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #2584
NYCNative
veteran
 
NYCNative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Upper Darby, PA
Posts: 2,954
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadstriker View Post
also lol @ posting in the cesspool thread. Come on man! That's for trolls, fleas, and people who just want to argue nonstop.
To be fair, I like a good debate. But monkeys flinging poo is not a good debate.
NYCNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #2585
Meraxes
veteran
 
Meraxes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: This is Dream!
Posts: 2,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKQJ10 View Post
Well, I don't work in the industry, but as a general principle once the boss asks then I think you have to be truthful. Whether she's handling it the appropriate way or not, it's not your responsibility to put your career on the line to cover for her.
This, but I'd add something along the lines of "I assumed she was going to put it in the tourney tip box."
Meraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #2586
Rapini
ragging
 
Rapini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: DC
Posts: 12,378
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

NYC, what a weird situation. Do you know whether the cash was intended for all the dealers or for that dealer in particular? And if you don't, is there really any way to know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraxes View Post
This, but I'd add something along the lines of "I assumed she was going to put it in the tourney tip box."
I don't have any problem with this suggestion, but I probably would be truthful and skip adding my own commentary. Then I'd let the dealer know afterwards what happened and what I said just to make sure he/she is privy to everything happening.
Rapini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #2587
psandman
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
psandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vegas
Posts: 15,608
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapini View Post
NYC, what a weird situation. Do you know whether the cash was intended for all the dealers or for that dealer in particular? And if you don't, is there really any way to know?

Its irrelevant. All the dealers dealing the tournament have an agreement to pool the tokes. The players intention is irrelevant.

If those tokes go in that dealers box she is stealing from her coworkers and there is nothing lower than that.
psandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:10 PM   #2588
Dealer-Guy
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Dealer-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dealing with it, one hand at a time
Posts: 6,135
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

If the dealer is going to do the right thing, then answering truthfully is the correct way to go.

If the dealer is NOT going to do the right thing then answering truthfully is the correct way to go.

If you want your boss to be able to trust you, then answering truthfully is the correct way to go.

I have found that the people who accuse others of "ratting them out" are the ones who have most to lose by the truth being told.

It's also possible that the player was tipping that dealer for some other reason. That dealer had a birthday for instance. Slim but possible.
Dealer-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:20 PM   #2589
Quadstriker
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Quadstriker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 15,016
I worked in a room once that while a tournament was going on ALL tokes were pooled, cash games too.

Yeah I don't work there anymore.
Quadstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #2590
psandman
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
psandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vegas
Posts: 15,608
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadstriker View Post
I worked in a room once that while a tournament was going on ALL tokes were pooled, cash games too.

Yeah I don't work there anymore.
Me too but the tournaments generally were very short duration and actually I rarely worked when a tournament was going on.
psandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:58 AM   #2591
youtalkfunny
dumbest smart person his mom knows
 
youtalkfunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: I can't believe it, either!
Posts: 21,292
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

--Boss asks me if I saw anything, my answer is always, "I can't be sure."

--When I was writing race book tickets, the sharper players always came to my window, because they could depend on my skills for fast, accurate tickets (it sucks when you get shut out because the ticket writer is screwing up, and is more worried about voiding the mistake tickets than getting your bet in). One sharpie went on a huge heater, and wanted to tip me $100 (a gargantuan toke in the race book), but only if it went to me exclusively--he didn't want to part with $100 if I was only going to get $2-3 of it. He told me to meet him in the men's room, where there are no cameras.

I declined, with thanks.

Personally, I think in a spot like this, a waiver from the toke pool is in order. Better one guy gets the $100, then all the guys getting $0. I don't even know why we had to pool tokes there, we only got about $2/day each. We only bothered to cut 'em up every two weeks. I guess because that was the only way we could take out the water cooler money.
youtalkfunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:33 AM   #2592
Quadstriker
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Quadstriker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 15,016
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by psandman View Post
Me too but the tournaments generally were very short duration and actually I rarely worked when a tournament was going on.
Sooooooooo many times I would hear from a regular after pushing a huge pot "Are you on a tournament box?" Yes. Dollar toke.

Have I mentioned how thankful I am for my current gig lately? It's been almost 3 years (Edit: Holy crap! 3 years to the day!) since this.
Quadstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:44 AM   #2593
psandman
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
psandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vegas
Posts: 15,608
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadstriker View Post
Sooooooooo many times I would hear from a regular after pushing a huge pot "Are you on a tournament box?" Yes. Dollar toke.

Have I mentioned how thankful I am for my current gig lately? It's been almost 3 years (Edit: Holy crap! 3 years to the day!) since this.
The casino I worked at that did this owned a second a casino .... a small dump with no poker room. But they had a daily poker tournament. To deal that tournament they had a few dealers most of which could not deal a lick.

They tore the old place down and built a new casino with a poker room. I Transfered to the new place. When we opened we had 5 of us from the old place, a bunch of dealers of mixed experience levels who were new to the company, and 3 dealers from the old dump's tournament dealers (one of them was actually a dealer and the other two were terrible.... and had no experience dealing cash games).

So before we opened the issue of the tournament tips, and pooling cash game tokes during the tournaments came up, the matter was put up for a vote .... secret ballot. There 2 votes in favor of pooling cash tokes during the tournaments ...... I wonder which two voted for that.
psandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:49 AM   #2594
Quadstriker
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Quadstriker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 15,016
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

Yeah I moved out of Missouri which had complete pooled tokes at the time I was dealing there. Pooled only during tournaments was a step up. Then I finally got to a room where my income is my income.
Quadstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:30 AM   #2595
IHeartEmoKids
grinder
 
IHeartEmoKids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 633
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

On the subject of pooled tokes:

I am a table games dealer, and I realize this will not apply to most since almost all of you are poker dealers. Hopefully I can get some advice anyway. We pool table games tokes at my casino (think ~2k dealer hours, ~30k toke pool for the day). I've never been directly offered tips directly into my pocket, but I know it might happen and I want to be prepared. I talked to one of my supervisors who used to deal and he said he once accepted a 2k tip from a high stakes BJ player who met him at a gas station after his shift ended. I realize it's unethical but it's hard to turn down especially considering it's such a large toke pool and the effect on your fellow dealers will be minimal. Any thoughts?
IHeartEmoKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:57 AM   #2596
psandman
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
psandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vegas
Posts: 15,608
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartEmoKids View Post
On the subject of pooled tokes:

I am a table games dealer, and I realize this will not apply to most since almost all of you are poker dealers. Hopefully I can get some advice anyway. We pool table games tokes at my casino (think ~2k dealer hours, ~30k toke pool for the day). I've never been directly offered tips directly into my pocket, but I know it might happen and I want to be prepared. I talked to one of my supervisors who used to deal and he said he once accepted a 2k tip from a high stakes BJ player who met him at a gas station after his shift ended. I realize it's unethical but it's hard to turn down especially considering it's such a large toke pool and the effect on your fellow dealers will be minimal. Any thoughts?
Its not just unethical..... Its stealing.
psandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:14 AM   #2597
Quadstriker
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Quadstriker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 15,016
Re: The Breakroom: low-content gaming employee chatter thread

Do you want to keep your job? Try not stealing.
Quadstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #2598
IHeartEmoKids
grinder
 
IHeartEmoKids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 633
Okay, that's all I needed to hear. And to be clear, that's how I always felt about it too, but hearing that story from my supervisor made me second-guess myself. It does make me wonder how often that sort of thing goes on, especially with certain dealers getting put in the high limit area almost every day.
IHeartEmoKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #2599
Lord_Strife
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Lord_Strife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 6,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCNative View Post
I got in the box tonight and all I could think about were unappreciative *******s who found no rudeness in asking me what my hourly wage is, worrying that I make money that I don't deserve, how I should feel lucky that I have a job at all, how anyone that dares tip a dealer more than a dollar under any circumstance was an idiot because even a monkey could do my job and how dare they...
my supervisors informed us a while ago that if we ever come across or hear this to call them over immediately and they'll give them the boot for the day. They can't belittle us or effect our pockets in any way. I highly suggest you bring this idea up to your PRM
Lord_Strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #2600
IHeartEmoKids
grinder
 
IHeartEmoKids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Strife View Post
my supervisors informed us a while ago that if we ever come across or hear this to call them over immediately and they'll give them the boot for the day. They can't belittle us or effect our pockets in any way. I highly suggest you bring this idea up to your PRM
He was referring to people who said those things in the tipping thread, not IRL. Still, your room's policy is obv a good one.
IHeartEmoKids is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online