Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Casino & Cardroom Poker Discussions of the activities, rules and etiquette of Live Casino and Cardroom Poker Venues.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2017, 03:04 AM   #126
RJT
veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: East of Eden
Posts: 3,303
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingusmcphee View Post
I think the OP is in the right and should press charges.

Pretend this was a fast food restaurant counter. You come up to the register and the last guy to order won't move out of the way. You say excuse me, he doesn't move. You order and put your money on the counter for the worker and he violently shoves it aside.

I don't see swearing at him as out of line; he just assaulted you (depending on the state). Now he batters you by grabbing your neck! Next, he threatens to really hurt you. Jail should be in his future!

Outside the sociopathic cesspit that is casino poker, this kind of behavior (shoving other people's money/ property, choking, threatening) is obviously illegal.
Nailed it.
RJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:50 AM   #127
Dick Tracy
grinder
 
Dick Tracy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 498
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
Not long ago a guy tanked for about 2 full minutes on the river. He was facing a raise but it wasnt even that big. I finally called for the clock (I wasnt in the hand). The guy I called the clock on said "Shut your ****ing mouth".
Ahahahaha. What the hell is wrong with people???

Out of curiosity, what happened after that? Did the dealer scold him for swearing?
Dick Tracy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:54 AM   #128
Lord_Crispen
grinder
 
Lord_Crispen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: unknown
Posts: 481
Re: Assaulted at live game

I know everyone here thinks "what could be so rude/wrong about asking the dealer to square the table?", and I REALLY don't mean this as victim blaming, but walking up to a table and issuing a command (yes, it's still a command even if you follow it with a please) "Square the table please" can come off anywhere on the rude/confrontational/selfish spectrum and there will be a small minority that get rubbed the wrong way, even if it's THEIR problem.

You're 100% NOT WRONG to ask to have the table squared up and this dude was 100% at fault. I'm just saying that next time, if you chose to remove the possibility of a psycho-meathead-tilted-tough-guy getting mad, you can do what callypigian said.

Also, answer20 had a good piece about just making a knowing look at the dealer. I'm sorry there are some dealers that don't think past their own nose and can't understand why being square is important, and I hope they all get fired someday. We're not all like that. I know that when someone arrives at a table and there will need to be squaring, I'll address the new player immediately and offer something along the lines of "I'll get us squared up in a second" if a big hand is in progress or if it's going to take a moment for a few people side by side to move their large chip stacks even just a few inches down. I don't stand for people just oscillating and not actually moving, and I know how to deal with 'that look' from the guy that thinks he's centered in his spot. "I know it's literally one inch, but could you move one inch to your left? Thanks man!"
Lord_Crispen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:11 AM   #129
Rapini
Monte Crisco
 
Rapini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: DC
Posts: 11,603
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjou812 View Post
Dave88, i was needling you with my second post and i should not have done it. The other guy was clearly wrong to escalate it to a physical confrontation. There are plenty of reasons to fight- squaring a table is not one of them. It is childish.

Unless this guy has a record for this type of behavior, it is not worth your time to pursue a criminal remedy for the minor bruising on your neck. You have better things to do. He is banned from the room. I dont see why you need a restraining order nor want to waste time in court.
If everyone thought like this, we wouldn't have records of criminals' escalating behavior or a chance to stop the behavior before it becomes serious. My guess is this wasn't the first time this person got physical with another person outside the realm of self-defense.

EDIT to add: Not pursuing criminal charges would be akin to seeing someone else in distress or noticing a power outage or other things that affect other people and choosing to do nothing because you assume that someone else will handle it. That's certainly your prerogative, but it's not what's best for society/your fellow man.

Last edited by Rapini; 11-07-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Rapini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:14 AM   #130
Steve00007
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,485
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
Everyone is going to hate the person who presses charges here. The cops, the DA, the judge, the poker room, and the character who assaulted him and who might be the type to take it to the next level. The only person who likes it is the criminal defense lawyer. Plus, OP'd have to take the time to go to court which prob won't happen bec, if he has no record, he'll take a plea that doesn't send him to jail. Just let it go.
So everyone will hate the victim and not the person who is responsible for this mess? If true then that’s too bad. I have little sympathy for them if their attitude is “Yes someone attacked you but please don’t make us do our job.”
Steve00007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:24 AM   #131
Steve00007
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,485
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjou812 View Post
Dave88, i was needling you with my second post and i should not have done it. The other guy was clearly wrong to escalate it to a physical confrontation. There are plenty of reasons to fight- squaring a table is not one of them. It is childish.

Unless this guy has a record for this type of behavior, it is not worth your time to pursue a criminal remedy for the minor bruising on your neck. You have better things to do. He is banned from the room. I dont see why you need a restraining order nor want to waste time in court.
I doubt this guy is going to care that much about being banned from the room and it may not even stop him from playing there. Did they get his ID? The OP didn’t tell us. It’s not like this guy is going to fear the consequences if he gets caught trying to come back in. They would probably just tell him to leave.

I don’t think a ban is as severe of a punishment as people on here think. Someone that normally avoids trouble will think it’s severe, but for this guy it could be a slap on the wrist. And he sounds like the type that’s used to getting in more trouble than this.

Edit: A well known reg would have a much tougher time trying to sneak back in, but if it’s a random face then it’s much easier to sneak back in, and he will care a lot less about the ban because it’s a place he doesn’t often go to.

Last edited by Steve00007; 11-07-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Steve00007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:05 AM   #132
MikeStarr
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,489
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Tracy View Post
Ahahahaha. What the hell is wrong with people???

Out of curiosity, what happened after that? Did the dealer scold him for swearing?
I told him he needed to learn some manners (he was about 21). We had a few words. The floor got called. The dealer told the floor that the other guy was completely out of line. He was warned and the floor walked away.

The guy eventually folded to the raise (and it was one of the worst folds Ive seen in a long time). I laughed out loud very obnoxiously. The guy got pissed and tllted off his stack a few hands later. I told him to have a nice day as he left.
MikeStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:09 AM   #133
Bene Gesserit
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Bene Gesserit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: my old Kentucky Home
Posts: 6,060
Re: Assaulted at live game

Not a large room according to the OP. 8 tables. Likely not too hard to remember a trouble maker who got physical and was ejected from the room. Now whether the room follows up well on the ban , or whatever , is totally dependent on how well it is run, relationships and yadda, yadda, yadda certainly. If I was the OP and I spotted the guy later on at a table there I would likely want to mention it to the floor and see what happens if anything.
Bene Gesserit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:50 AM   #134
Playbig2000
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Playbig2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Suffern, NY
Posts: 6,702
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapini View Post
And don't forget about the restraining order.
I don't think psychos obey restraining orders, and a judge is going to want evidence OP was threatened or stalked before signing off on one.
Playbig2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:36 AM   #135
DC2LV
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 2,054
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playbig2000 View Post
I don't think psychos obey restraining orders, and a judge is going to want evidence OP was threatened or stalked before signing off on one.
I do believe that choking him qualifies as being "threatened", lol.
DC2LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:42 AM   #136
jjjou812
old hand
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,744
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapini View Post
If everyone thought like this, we wouldn't have records of criminals' escalating behavior or a chance to stop the behavior before it becomes serious. My guess is this wasn't the first time this person got physical with another person outside the realm of self-defense.

EDIT to add: Not pursuing criminal charges would be akin to seeing someone else in distress or noticing a power outage or other things that affect other people and choosing to do nothing because you assume that someone else will handle it. That's certainly your prerogative, but it's not what's best for society/your fellow man.
Next time i get pushed on the basketball court, flipped off driving my car or see someone irate because their fries are cold, i will call 911 for the betterment of our utopian society. Don't want these provocateurs escalating behaviors to go unreported.
jjjou812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:43 AM   #137
MikeStarr
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,489
Re: Assaulted at live game

A restraining order is pretty much a waste of paper in most cases.

Example: Dude chokes you so you get a restraining order. (which is a pain in the ass to get by the way. Youre going to have to spend a few hours of your time. Its going to take a few days at a minimum for the restraining order to be issued and served to the bad guy (unless its some sort of emergency which this is not).

During that few days, there is no order against the bad guy because he hasnt been officially served the paperwork. Those few days are the most likely time frame that he would do something stupid because hes stilled pissed.

So a few days go by and the bad guy has been served. The order tells him to stay at least 100 yards away from you. The bad guy violates the order and confronts you. You know what you have to do? The police cant do anything because a restraining order is a civil order. You can call the police by they cant do anything (unless the dude assaulted you again this time). You have to spend a few more hours of your time and go back to court and testify to the judge that the guy violated the restraining order. The judge then has to issue a bench warrant for the guys arrest. The cops are not going to go looking for him to arrest him for this minor offense because they are busy. If the bad guy happens to come into contact with the police for any reason, only then will he be arrested.

Do you really want to go thru all of that BS because some wacko that you will most likely never see again grabbed you by the throat after you told him to F off?

Save the restraining order for a situation where you are likely to see a guy over and over again...like your next door neighbor who keeps dumping trash on your lawn, opening your gate and letting your dog out...ect.
MikeStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:46 AM   #138
NoQuarter
old hand
 
NoQuarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Truth is a menace I heRd
Posts: 1,703
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
The courts are already overloaded with BS money making rackets like DUI, Probation Violations & Child Support cases without adding actual criminal cases...
FYP

Quote:
Only in cases of family violence (mostly husband/wife) will most jurisdictions prosecute without a cooperating victim and that's because so many wives are afraid to testify against the husband that the County takes over as the "Complainant". Even then they need a written statement and pictures from the victim or nothing can be done.
You are forgetting Commonwealths

Quote:
Originally Posted by albedoa View Post
Really gross to see posters who I otherwise respect say it took two people to trigger a lunatic.
True Character gonna true character brah.

Just cause they gotz the high post count dont mean they aint no pedo/psycho/rapist/drunkard/wife beater/child abuser/stalker/money launderer/car thief or just plain douchebag etc etc

Last edited by NoQuarter; 11-07-2017 at 10:58 AM.
NoQuarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #139
Playbig2000
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Playbig2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Suffern, NY
Posts: 6,702
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
A The order tells him to stay at least 100 yards away from you. The bad guy violates the order and confronts you. You know what you have to do? The police cant do anything because a restraining order is a civil order.
it's criminal, he can be arrested if he violates it.
Playbig2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:08 AM   #140
MikeStarr
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,489
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playbig2000 View Post
it's criminal, he can be arrested if he violates it.
Violating the restraining order in and of itself is not criminal. At least not in Texas. It might be in some states, but not most of them. The judge issued an order and if the guy disobeys it the judge can order him arrested. Just like contempt of court if the judge tells someone to stop talking and he keeps talking.

Violating a Protective order is criminal everywhere but youre not going to get a Protective order for this nonsense.
MikeStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #141
BigBlue56
veteran
 
BigBlue56's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 2,472
Re: Assaulted at live game

Glad you pressed charges. I'm aware that our society has changed, as mentioned multiple times before. I'm over the 45 yr old line for anyone keeping score.

I'm not into blaming victims either. OP did nothing to warrant being physically attacked.
BigBlue56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:16 AM   #142
MikeStarr
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,489
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue56 View Post
Glad you pressed charges. I'm aware that our society has changed, as mentioned multiple times before. I'm over the 45 yr old line for anyone keeping score.

I'm not into blaming victims either. OP did nothing to warrant being physically attacked.
But actually he didnt. He said hes not pursuing it any further. The cops got called and a report was made but that's far from the end of "pressing charges".

Nothing is going to happen to the guy at all other than the ban.
MikeStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:28 AM   #143
BigBlue56
veteran
 
BigBlue56's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 2,472
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave88 View Post
...

Would you press charges?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave88 View Post
I did opt to "press charges"....
Sure Mike. I guess you got me there.


I'll rephrase. I'm glad you followed up at the time of the incident. I'm glad there is a record of the incident.
BigBlue56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:54 AM   #144
albedoa
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,451
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjou812 View Post
Next time i get pushed on the basketball court, flipped off driving my car or see someone irate because their fries are cold, i will call 911 for the betterment of our utopian society. Don't want these provocateurs escalating behaviors to go unreported.
Dude just stop, this is embarrassing.
albedoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:33 PM   #145
Playbig2000
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Playbig2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Suffern, NY
Posts: 6,702
Re: Assaulted at live game

If they had the guy on video attacking another casino patron, why does the victim need to press charges? So if I get shot and I'm laying there dying, are cops going to ask me if I wanna press charges?
Playbig2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:37 PM   #146
Rapini
Monte Crisco
 
Rapini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: DC
Posts: 11,603
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjou812 View Post
Next time i get pushed on the basketball court, flipped off driving my car or see someone irate because their fries are cold, i will call 911 for the betterment of our utopian society. Don't want these provocateurs escalating behaviors to go unreported.
Agreed. Thank you for making the world a better place.
Rapini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:35 PM   #147
RJT
veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: East of Eden
Posts: 3,303
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Crispen View Post
...I'm sorry there are some dealers that don't think past their own nose and can't understand why being square is important, and I hope they all get fired someday. We're not all like that. I know that when someone arrives at a table and there will need to be squaring, I'll address the new player immediately and offer something along the lines of "I'll get us squared up in a second" if a big hand is in progress or if it's going to take a moment for a few people side by side to move their large chip stacks even just a few inches down. I don't stand for people just oscillating and not actually moving, and I know how to deal with 'that look' from the guy that thinks he's centered in his spot. "I know it's literally one inch, but could you move one inch to your left? Thanks man!"
Oscillating, yes - that's what most do. The fake move.
Can you come deal my room please?
RJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:03 PM   #148
callipygian
slowrolled by tpiranha!
 
callipygian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: but I don't know which
Posts: 18,599
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDHarrison View Post
I'd probably go for a kick in the balls, then. It won't cause serious damage to anything important. It's how I ended my last few fights.
That seems like a good solution.

(Not sarcastic. It sounds like an appropriately proportional amount of retaliation.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjou812 View Post
Next time i get pushed on the basketball court, flipped off driving my car or see someone irate because their fries are cold, i will call 911 for the betterment of our utopian society. Don't want these provocateurs escalating behaviors to go unreported.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapini View Post
Agreed. Thank you for making the world a better place.
Your (Rapini's) world must be pretty small and filled with police reports and lawsuits, especially whenever you watch a basketball game on TV and call the police to report an assault every time a fight breaks out.

To be clear - since you seem to have a real hard time understanding this - me thinking you shouldn't clog up the legal system with minor complaints doesn't excuse the behavior you're complaining against.

Of course it's bad that people fight on national TV. And they should be punished more severely than they are. Like they should take the laughable two game suspensions for beating one's girlfriend and make that the standard punishment for fighting in public, and then make the punishment for domestic abuse closer to permaban. But bystanders don't need to get involved on a day to day basis - there are rules, written for pro games and unwritten for pickup games - to cover the minor ****.

Of course it's bad that people flip each other off. But sometimes people are in a new city and don't realize their lane is exit only and try to merge in and they look like the *******s that intentionally cruise down the exit only lane and cut in, and if the police got involved every single time someone cut someone off, we'd need 10x the number of policemen.

I don't know how to do the youtube link thing but a video of Michael Scott saying "let's hug it out, *****" to Dwight would be appropriate here.
callipygian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:15 PM   #149
dingusmcphee
enthusiast
 
dingusmcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 82
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by callipygian View Post
That seems like a good solution.

(Not sarcastic. It sounds like an appropriately proportional amount of retaliation.)





Your (Rapini's) world must be pretty small and filled with police reports and lawsuits, especially whenever you watch a basketball game on TV and call the police to report an assault every time a fight breaks out.

To be clear - since you seem to have a real hard time understanding this - me thinking you shouldn't clog up the legal system with minor complaints doesn't excuse the behavior you're complaining against.

Of course it's bad that people fight on national TV. And they should be punished more severely than they are. Like they should take the laughable two game suspensions for beating one's girlfriend and make that the standard punishment for fighting in public, and then make the punishment for domestic abuse closer to permaban. But bystanders don't need to get involved on a day to day basis - there are rules, written for pro games and unwritten for pickup games - to cover the minor ****.

Of course it's bad that people flip each other off. But sometimes people are in a new city and don't realize their lane is exit only and try to merge in and they look like the *******s that intentionally cruise down the exit only lane and cut in, and if the police got involved every single time someone cut someone off, we'd need 10x the number of policemen.

I don't know how to do the youtube link thing but a video of Michael Scott saying "let's hug it out, *****" to Dwight would be appropriate here.


The actual affront was putting his hand(s) on the OP’s neck and choking him (however ineffectually) and then threatening severe harm. That is not flipping the bird, or shoving under the hoop. This is exactly why you need laws/police/courts.

If a stranger choked and threatened me, “hugging it out” wouldn’t be in the top 100 possible responses. The OP is to be commended for his ability to remain civil and have the authorities take care of it.
dingusmcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:20 PM   #150
BDHarrison
old hand
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,307
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjou812 View Post
The only way a girl or child can win a fight. So much for you winning Man of the Year or Man of anything. Ever.
Winning is better than losing and winning without getting punched in the face is better than winning while getting punched in the face. I don't fight to satisfy my ego. I fight to defend myself or I fight because I enjoy inflicting pain. You must be like this one guy who bitched at me because I check/called down with TPTK instead of betting my hand like a "real man".
BDHarrison is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online