Two Plus Two Publishing LLC Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Casino & Cardroom Poker Discussions of the activities, rules and etiquette of Live Casino and Cardroom Poker Venues.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2017, 06:42 PM   #51
dave88
grinder
 
dave88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: JKo
Posts: 416
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverine View Post
OP- was there a hand in progress when you set your chips down and asked the dealer to square the table?
No, I would not ask in the middle of a hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverine View Post
Since there was not enough room, as you said, when you set your chips down before giving anyone time to make room for you, were you putting them really close to the other player, where he felt you were invading what was, at the time, his playing space or maybe too close to his chips?
I placed my chips right in the middle of the available space. That's how I play too, with my chips centered in front of me. I understand what you're getting at though, some players will put their chips to the side often crowding their neighbor. I did not, and do not do that.
dave88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:03 PM   #52
dave88
grinder
 
dave88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: JKo
Posts: 416
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg (FossilMan) View Post
Strongly disagree with this. Asking the dealer to square the table is exactly how it should be done. Except that the dealer should do it automatically without needing to be asked.

The villain did all the escalating here, as told by the OP. He got physical with OP's chips, and then went psycho after OP said 3 words. While you certainly should realize that telling somebody to F*** off might result in a physical reaction, that doesn't mean that they are justified in any sense to do so. To me this sounds the same as telling a woman it's partially her fault she was raped because she was dressed provocatively, or because she flirted with the guy.

While OP should decide what's best for himself, if it were me, I'd ask the prosecutor to throw the book at villain. As others have said, given his rapid escalation to physical violence, this probably isn't his first assault, nor will it be his last, so let's get him away from the rest of us ASAP until he learns his lesson.

Cheers, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Thanks for the reply. I believe politely asking the dealer to square the table is the best way to handle it too. I have seen players respond negatively or non responsive to being asked directly by another player.

If I know the player or feel they are a friendly sort I might ask them directly. If I don't know them or don't think they are particularly friendly, I would always ask the dealer.
dave88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:06 PM   #53
dave88
grinder
 
dave88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: JKo
Posts: 416
Re: Assaulted at live game

I did opt to "press charges". The police came and took a statement and got the video. They also took a picture of my neck. I got a card with a case number, but I didn't get the impression a court appearance is necessary? They got the video, they got the statements of me and the security guys. I think that's all they need?

I'm not sure if he was taken into custody or let go or maybe even left before they got there? He was taken outside by security and I never saw him again. I hope I never do.
dave88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:09 PM   #54
DC2LV
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 2,131
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
I bet it would be interesting to see a poll of who thinks OP should press charges and who thinks he shouldnt and see the age breakdown. My guess is that younger people are much more likely to think he should press charges and older people are more likely to say not to.
I would think that it would be the exact opposite.
DC2LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:20 PM   #55
Riverine
centurion
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: On the river
Posts: 122
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlex View Post
Nothing of that matters one iota. Don't assault people if you don't want to end up in court.
Sure, and don't be surprised when you say **** you to a total stranger and he grabs you by the neck. Saying **** you to live people has different consequences than typing **** you in a chat box online.
Riverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:27 PM   #56
MikeStarr
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 5,085
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave88 View Post
I did opt to "press charges". The police came and took a statement and got the video. They also took a picture of my neck. I got a card with a case number, but I didn't get the impression a court appearance is necessary? They got the video, they got the statements of me and the security guys. I think that's all they need?

I'm not sure if he was taken into custody or let go or maybe even left before they got there? He was taken outside by security and I never saw him again. I hope I never do.
Not true at all. In all likelihood, the guy will plead guilty and take some minor fine and/or community service and you wont have to do anything at all. In some jurisdictions, he would just be given a citation similar to speeding ticket and he would pay the fine and be done with it. However, if he decides to fight the charges and wants to go to court, you will have to go and testify against him. Statements and video dont substitute for witness testimony.
MikeStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:28 PM   #57
MikeStarr
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 5,085
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverine View Post
Sure, and don't be surprised when you say **** you to a total stranger and he grabs you by the neck. Saying **** you to live people has different consequences than typing **** you in a chat box online.
Bingo! If people said 1/2 the garbage that they type in a chat box or on FaceBook to a live person, they would get their teeth kicked in.
MikeStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:31 PM   #58
MikeStarr
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 5,085
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2LV View Post
I would think that it would be the exact opposite.
Elaborate please
MikeStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:31 PM   #59
jjjou812
old hand
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,761
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave88 View Post
I would consider this if I was more seriously injured. It is two days later and I do still have a very noticeable red mark on my neck.
Call your attorney and see how many cups of coffee a red mark on your neck is worth. The guy will not do any jail time beyond his arrest but you will be summoned to court 2-3x before it resolves.
jjjou812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:39 PM   #60
DC2LV
veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 2,131
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
Elaborate please
Elaborate on what? You said that your guess is that younger people are much more likely to think the OP should press charges and older people are more likely to say not to, and my belief is that older people are more likely to think the OP should press charges and younger people are more likely to say not to.

You have your opinion (or "guess" as you say) and I have mine. No big deal.
DC2LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:43 PM   #61
Howard Beale
Formerly red
 
Howard Beale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Doing what my dog wants
Posts: 20,781
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlex View Post
Maybe it's because you are from a different time and a different part of the world than me and other soft avocado toast loving millenials, but telling somebody FU isn't even close to warranting a physical assault.

On Friday morning, local TV showed news about somebody being shot in an apparent road rage incident at a traffic light. Does getting shot over flipping somebody the finger also fall into that "a large part is on you" category or does that cross the line?

FWIW, I would see a doctor and also complain about headaches, trouble sleeping and panic attacks and sue that guy.
I lol'd @ 'soft avocado toast loving millenials', that's a good one!

But, yeah, I'm 67 and got into a fair number of fights in high school. Back then we didn't worry about someone pulling a knife or worse and everything was done when the fight was over. And if anyone said 'FU' he could expect to get swung at.

Btw, two things: 1. Suing the guy is out of the question even if you fake some damages bec no lawyer is going to take the case on contingency since the damages aren't large and who knows if he has assets. 2. I put the O/U on the times that the police ask 'do you want to press charges' in USA#1 on a daily basis at 1 millllliooooonnnn. If everyone said yes the courts would be overwhelmed.
Howard Beale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:56 PM   #62
dave88
grinder
 
dave88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: JKo
Posts: 416
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjou812 View Post
Call your attorney and see how many cups of coffee a red mark on your neck is worth. The guy will not do any jail time beyond his arrest but you will be summoned to court 2-3x before it resolves.
I am not pursuing this any further. I do not expect him to get any serious punishment for it and I will not be going to court. I just wanted to make sure he got banned, and reporting it at least makes sure it's there so when he does assault someone more seriously he gets the due punishment.

I probably wouldn't have even opted to call the cops but for his second angry lunge at me, and his threat that he was going to get me later.
dave88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:57 PM   #63
dave88
grinder
 
dave88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: JKo
Posts: 416
Re: Assaulted at live game

fwiw guys, I'm not a small man myself. I'm much bigger than the guy who attacked me. In a different environment it might have ended much worse for him. Or maybe worse for me? You never know? :shrug: He might be tougher than he looks and his spazzy attack would indicate?
dave88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:01 PM   #64
MikeStarr
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 5,085
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2LV View Post
Elaborate on what? You said that your guess is that younger people are much more likely to think the OP should press charges and older people are more likely to say not to, and my belief is that older people are more likely to think the OP should press charges and younger people are more likely to say not to.

You have your opinion (or "guess" as you say) and I have mine. No big deal.
I was just asking why you think younger people would be more likely to say not to press charges. Do you have a reason?
MikeStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:01 PM   #65
madlex
Custom User Title
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,198
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
Btw, two things: 1. Suing the guy is out of the question even if you fake some damages bec no lawyer is going to take the case on contingency since the damages aren't large and who knows if he has assets. 2.
Friend of mine got 2k for a bruised jaw when somebody kicked him in the head in a drunken bar fight.
madlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:03 PM   #66
MikeStarr
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 5,085
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave88 View Post
I am not pursuing this any further. I do not expect him to get any serious punishment for it and I will not be going to court. I just wanted to make sure he got banned, and reporting it at least makes sure it's there so when he does assault someone more seriously he gets the due punishment.

I probably wouldn't have even opted to call the cops but for his second angry lunge at me, and his threat that he was going to get me later.
Well then you wasted a bunch of people's time. And their time is still being wasted. At the very least call and drop the charges before a bunch more paperwork is done on your behalf.
MikeStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:11 PM   #67
aaronk56
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
aaronk56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: You thought what?
Posts: 14,198
Re: Assaulted at live game

Speaking from experience, saying **** you to someone can in at least some jurisdictions be considered fighting words and result in you being arrested and charged with a crime even if the only person physically assaulted is you.

This happened to me quite some time ago, probably 20 years, we both ended up going to court with lawyers. At the first hearing we both decided not to pursue the matter and the charges were dropped. Fortunately my lawyer was doing me a favor and it didn't cost me anything.
aaronk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:28 PM   #68
dave88
grinder
 
dave88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: JKo
Posts: 416
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
Well then you wasted a bunch of people's time. And their time is still being wasted. At the very least call and drop the charges before a bunch more paperwork is done on your behalf.
No time was wasted. The assault, and threat was reported as it should be imo.
I would be surprised if they are doing anything beyond whatever they've already done. I'd give you 5 to 1 I'll never be contacted for any court appearance.

I don't think the police ever asked me if I wanted to "press charges". It was security who asked me that before they called the cops.
dave88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:28 PM   #69
Howard Beale
Formerly red
 
Howard Beale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Doing what my dog wants
Posts: 20,781
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlex View Post
Friend of mine got 2k for a bruised jaw when somebody kicked him in the head in a drunken bar fight.
A nuisance settlement but not bad. Did he press charges?
Howard Beale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:34 PM   #70
Rapini
ragging
 
Rapini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: DC
Posts: 11,911
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
I was just asking why you think younger people would be more likely to say not to press charges. Do you have a reason?
He offered his unsupported opinion just as you offered your unsupported opinion. If you offer your rationale he'll have something to respond to.
Rapini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:49 PM   #71
WateryBoil
Pooh-Bah
 
WateryBoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: And mine are long and sharp my Lord
Posts: 4,367
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
Not long ago a guy tanked for about 2 full minutes on the river. He was facing a raise but it wasnt even that big. I finally called for the clock (I wasnt in the hand). The guy I called the clock on said "Shut your ****ing mouth".

I didnt choke him.
I'd respond again with "Clock."

cuz i know it would tilt him even harder.

people make it too easy once they reveal their weaknesses.
WateryBoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:55 PM   #72
WateryBoil
Pooh-Bah
 
WateryBoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: And mine are long and sharp my Lord
Posts: 4,367
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjou812 View Post
Call your attorney and see how many cups of coffee a red mark on your neck is worth. The guy will not do any jail time beyond his arrest but you will be summoned to court 2-3x before it resolves.
so assaulting someone in the states you just get away with it scott free? because assault doesnt lead to jail time?

interesting, sounds broken.

and super scary, glad i live in canada.

that said, id 100% press charges cuz im a spiteful son of a ***** and ill allow no one to touch me, ever.
WateryBoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:23 PM   #73
MikeStarr
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 5,085
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapini View Post
He offered his unsupported opinion just as you offered your unsupported opinion. If you offer your rationale he'll have something to respond to.
OK. Back in the day when guys got into fights, once the fight was over it was over. 2 guys got pissed, they had a fight and that was that. The police weren't called unless someone was seriously injured. If someone hit you, you hit them back and then you moved on.

Nowadays, starting from a young age, people are taught to "turn the other cheek". There are "no tolerance" policies in schools. If someone hits you or bullies you, you are supposed to tell the teacher. If you fight back, you are in just as much trouble as the bully. Of course telling the teacher doesnt solve the problem but that's a whole different discussion. No tolerance policies have not stopped bullying. That's a whole different discussion also.

So IMO, the younger generation is more likely to call the police and press charges as opposed to fighting back and handling things themselves. Kids call the police now when their parents spank them. People call the police for everything nowadays.

I wouldnt press charges over this, but Im a bit older than most people here. The guy lost his temper and he's an *******, but whatever.

If I was in my main poker room I wouldnt fight back either but only because I wouldnt want to be banned. If I was out of town somewhere I wouldve probably knocked the guy on his ass and been well within my rights to defend myself.
MikeStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:31 PM   #74
WereBeer
Carpal \'Tunnel
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,150
Re: Assaulted at live game

I'm 'older' I guess, I'm in my 40s.

In a casino, I wouldn't fight back but I would definitely press charges because I'm giving up my moral right to beat his ass in exchange for the criminal justice system taking charge of the matter.

If it happened in the parking lot and assuming I didn't feel massively outmatched by the guy, I would try my best to kick the poop out of him. But I wouldn't be trying to get him in trouble with the legal system afterwards, because if you start a fight and then lose that fight, that's your punishment and it's over.

Last edited by Rapini; 11-06-2017 at 08:13 AM.
WereBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:35 PM   #75
MikeStarr
Pooh-Bah
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 5,085
Re: Assaulted at live game

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBeer View Post
I'm 'older' I guess, I'm in my 40s.

In a casino, I wouldn't fight back but I would definitely press charges because I'm giving up my moral right to beat his ass in exchange for the criminal justice system taking charge of the matter.

If it happened in the parking lot and assuming I didn't feel massively outmatched by the guy, I would try my best to kick the poop out of him. But I wouldn't be trying to get him in trouble with the legal system afterwards, because if you start a fight and then lose that fight, that's your punishment and it's over.
See? That's the mentality of older people. Not so much with the younger people.

Last edited by Rapini; 11-06-2017 at 08:14 AM.
MikeStarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2008-2017, Two Plus Two Interactive
 
 
Poker Players - Streaming Live Online