Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
Two Plus Two Publishing LLC
 

Go Back   Two Plus Two Poker Forums > >

Notices

Psychology Discussions of psychology as applied to poker and other gambling games.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
simplicity123
newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 23
How to not feel guilty about beating bad players?

I don't know just sometimes I feel guilt. Like I was playing turbos and looking for shortstacking fish. A person log on and then gave me two buy ins as he would shove with garbage on most flops.

But, surely how you not feel guilty. You guys most feel some remorse about taking peoples money from them. I sort of rationalise it away.

Also, my style is sort of like bullying. Sort of feel like I'm bullying someone.
simplicity123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
Brandonspade
adept
 
Brandonspade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: down in a hole
Posts: 758
Re: How to not feel guilty about beating bad players?

Is this even real?
Brandonspade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
MrBump
WINNING
 
MrBump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: TOP DOWN CHROME SPINNING
Posts: 6,019
Re: How to not feel guilty about beating bad players?

If you feel bad about winning, then poker isn't the game for you.
MrBump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:10 AM   #4
ShellysAshes
Pooh-Bah
 
ShellysAshes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Stoke, England.
Posts: 3,659
Re: How to not feel guilty about beating bad players?

I think that it's really easy to see someone who is awful at poker and just assume they must be ******ed. But in actual fact these people are (for the most-part) able-minded and play poker because it's fun, and also because they win every now and again.
If they were really that bothered about losing their money they would do what a lot of fish did and start taking positive steps to becoming sharks. (So that would include the 99.99% of good players who didn't have a natural grasp of the game)
Of course, some of these guys would rather convinve themselves that they are awesome and it's just the site that is rigged causing them to lose. Notice it's almost always people who have joined in the last few months making the rigged threads in BBV!
If you have swallowed your pride, accepted your own flaws and then worked hard to get yourself to the standard you are at now, then you should feel nothing but satisfaction at reaping the rewards of your hard work. If you can't then you shouldn't be playing poker for money!
ShellysAshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:54 AM   #5
okayokayit'snotok
banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: between here and there
Posts: 194
Re: How to not feel guilty about beating bad players?

I remember a time playing live and there was this really nice, timid kid who was a regular. I just didn't think he belonged as a regular in that scene. He wasn't your typical compulsive gambler who was running away from something(s) in life. He sorta looked like an abercrombie and fitch model, fit, dressed nice, etc, but he sucked at poker and was just such a nice guy. For all his good looks, I had a feeling he had trouble getting the ladies because he was just so timid and too, too nice.

So anyway I have AT and flop top 2 pr and bet the flop heavy, he calls and nicely/timidly asks me if we could just check it down. He looked quite scared. And it's not like we knew each other, I'd never talked to the kid. I just coldly said no! And quickly proceeded to shove the turn, which he hesitantly and sadly called. I think he had a weak ace.

I felt bad as a scooped the pot, the sad kid in my peripheral vision slowly pulling another $100 bill out of his wallet.

But now as I've grown older, for the most part I enjoy inflicting pain!

Last edited by okayokayit'snotok; 05-31-2012 at 05:58 AM. Reason: obsessive over-editing disorder
okayokayit'snotok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
TonnaMunz
 
TonnaMunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Outdoors
Posts: 2,758
Re: How to not feel guilty about beating bad players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by okayokayit'snotok View Post
I remember a time playing live and there was this really nice, timid kid who was a regular. I just didn't think he belonged as a regular in that scene. He wasn't your typical compulsive gambler who was running away from something(s) in life. He sorta looked like an abercrombie and fitch model, fit, dressed nice, etc, but he sucked at poker and was just such a nice guy. For all his good looks, I had a feeling he had trouble getting the ladies because he was just so timid and too, too nice.

So anyway I have AT and flop top 2 pr and bet the flop heavy, he calls and nicely/timidly asks me if we could just check it down. He looked quite scared. And it's not like we knew each other, I'd never talked to the kid. I just coldly said no! And quickly proceeded to shove the turn, which he hesitantly and sadly called. I think he had a weak ace.

I felt bad as a scooped the pot, the sad kid in my peripheral vision slowly pulling another $100 bill out of his wallet.

But now as I've grown older, for the most part I enjoy inflicting pain!
kinda sucks but your there to make money (i assume ldo) and hes there on his own choice, no one has a gun to his head telling him to gamb0l
TonnaMunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
MrBump
WINNING
 
MrBump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: TOP DOWN CHROME SPINNING
Posts: 6,019
Re: How to not feel guilty about beating bad players?

Meh, stop and think why these players are at the table and playing?

That's right, to take your money.

Don't feel bad.
MrBump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
stew.robinson
journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 320
Re: How to not feel guilty about beating bad players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBump View Post
Meh, stop and think why these players are at the table and playing?

That's right, to take your money.

Don't feel bad.
this is all you need to move on past this problem. When that guy called your turn shove, he did so because he thought he saw an opportunity to take YOUR money away from you. No part of you should feel bad about that.
stew.robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #9
Jonebulda
newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Oslo
Posts: 37
Re: How to not feel guilty about beating bad players?

I have sometimes felt what OP is describing to some extent.

For some reason I feel it more in some games than other.

For example in MTTs I practically never feel it.

But sometimes in 180man SNGs, when I for example shove 62o BVB for 8BBs vs some random I have 18 hands on, it has happened that I have asked myself "dont you have any shame?"

I think it is because 180mans are more hardcore bloodbath than other games.

But overall, its a game, just like any other game, and you play to win, so does your competition. A chess player tries to win vs his opponent, does he feel guilty if he wins? A basketball player tries to beat his competition, does he feel guilty if he wins? The fact that theres money involved in poker, doesnt change the fact that its a game, where everybody tries to win. Nobody should feel guilty for winning. If someone plays over his head and looses money he cant afford to loose, thats his problem, not yours. But like has been mentioned earlier ITT, I htink most people play within their means.

Bottom line, its a competition, a game - everyone who participates is trying to win - nobody should feel guilty for winning.
Jonebulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
MrBump
WINNING
 
MrBump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: TOP DOWN CHROME SPINNING
Posts: 6,019
Re: How to not feel guilty about beating bad players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonebulda View Post
The fact that theres money involved in poker, doesnt change the fact that its a game, where everybody tries to win.
I disagree.


The very fact that there's money involved is what makes poker the game that it is. The proof? Look at the difference between how people play in play money games compared to real money at the lowest stakes. The difference is huge.

If people were playing because they like playing cards, then they'd play canasta or bridge or whatever.

Poker isn't poker if there's no money at stake. People play because they want to win OUR money.

So no point in feeling guilty about wanting to take theirs.
MrBump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #11
ChristopherEucken1
grinder
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 538
Re: How to not feel guilty about beating bad players?

dont feel bad.

oh and when playing live, always be super friendly to your left neighbours so they feel guilty taking ur moniez and play u soft instead despite having position on u
ChristopherEucken1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #12
Ramblin
centurion
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 184
Re: How to not feel guilty about beating bad players?

If you don't take their money somebody else will. Don't feel bad.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #13
Fordham
old hand
 
Fordham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,913
Re: How to not feel guilty about beating bad players?

OP is levelling a little too obviously.
Fordham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #14
Fordham
old hand
 
Fordham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,913
Re: How to not feel guilty about beating bad players?

in poker, someone has to win. It might as well be you, if you dont feel this way all the time, then just give up on poker and life also.

You could also donate your winnings. I can guarantee you can find people that are more needy than villian.
Fordham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #15
arlecchino76
old hand
 
arlecchino76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: barreling into nuts
Posts: 1,632
Re: How to not feel guilty about beating bad players?

Well, u might have a point there, i sometimes do feel...nah, jk, I feel fine taking peoples money
arlecchino76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #16
Zenjo
journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 396
Re: How to not feel guilty about beating bad players?

I can understand this problem live, but online I feel zero empathy for any opponant. They are just a souless automaton trying to take your money. Make sure you turn off player images. You don't want your opponants to be anything but a blank circle on the screen.
Zenjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #17
mugenjin
veteran
 
mugenjin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In the Amazon exploiting children
Posts: 2,385
Re: How to not feel guilty about beating bad players?

This has to be a level or the OP is just incredibly concerned for the well being of anonymous donkeys donating their money on their internet. I'd have to bet on the former.

I literally LOL when I'm collecting chips from players playing a game for money they have no idea how to play. Like someone else said , if you feel any remorse at all , this game isn't for you.

The only emotion I feel for them is usually pity at the fact they're so clueless. I don't tap the glass or berate anyone at the tables but I can't feel anything at all for those not intelligent enough or willing enough to invest a bit of time in learning a game of skill which costs them money to play.

The biggest semi-reg donk at 9 man sng's at the 16$ level who's lost 16k playing them used to constantly berate people and call them f'n idiots constantly after he'd lose all his chips with bottom pair to them.

I should feel remorse for some of these tools ?
mugenjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #18
dgiharris
All Hail His Modness
 
dgiharris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: CA and Vegas
Posts: 12,294
Re: How to not feel guilty about beating bad players?

This problem is about a billion times worse live than online. Online I've NEVER felt remorse because the person is a million miles aways.

Live, a certain amount of empathy is only natural especially when you get to know the people you are beating. I mean, usually you talk to your neighbors and form that table bond...

The worse beat I ever put on someone was a guy who let everyone know that he had gambled away his child support and rent in blackjack and needed to win $2k or else he'd be evicted. At the time I sat down it seemed like he'd been running over the table and he had $1.5K in front of him. Long story short, I stacked him pretty bad. Bluffed him out of $400 which put him on tilt and then a few hands later I stacked him when he tried to get fancy and c/r me on the turn but I check back and then on river I hit my gut shot. He bets, I over shove a ridiculous amount, like $1.2k into a $250 pot, he snap calls with top set, and BOOM, busto.

He was practically crying when he got up and left...

But its not my fault. And the truth is, if I didn't felt him, someone else would have because he was the biggest donk in the world.

Ultimately, the way I resolve it internally is that its nothing personal, and if its not me that takes their money its going to be someone else so it might as well be me.
dgiharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:20 AM   #19
packers4life
journeyman
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 252
Re: How to not feel guilty about beating bad players?

I can kinda understand the OP. my brother railed on me on kind of a moralist rant (which makes no sense with him being an agnostic/atheist, not totally sure which) about the fact that I use poker as a source of income and that I'm taking advantage of addicts and ignorant people.

I countered with a story of a friend who we banned from our home game in college that was both terrible at poker and showed clear signs of addiction (asking to borrow money with ridiculous vigs to play more). Even so, it definitely stuck with me and even affected my play over the next week or two.

I got over it mostly simply by reminding myself that it's simply not my responsibility to tell these people how to spend their money. If they find this entertaining to play, no matter how bad they are, well that's their thing. Should beer companies stop producing beer because a few people that buy their product will become or are currently alcoholics? Of course not.

Just remember that last bit
packers4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #20
payshintz
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 63
Re: How to not feel guilty about beating bad players?

Although I love winning money, I still hate it when I win off of someone who seems desperate. I will still take it though...I got kids to feed..

The worst I felt was when I was at the borgata last month on a 1 week vacation and there was someone at my table who was from the same exact town I'm from.

She was a curious one. She was asking me lots of questions but I tried not to give out too much personal detail so openly. Very first hand I get dealt Queens.

2 early limpers, couple folds, action on me 2 off button.

I make it $13, Action folds to villain in the bb. She calls and gives me this painful look. Looked like she was scared but at the same time pissed? Oh worried is what it was. She looked worried.

2 limpers fold.

Headsup to flop.

Flop comes KQJ with flush draw. she checks, I bet $20something. She calls.
Turn comes off suit 9. I said "aw ***" as soon as the 9 hit. which was a mistake on my part but it was my first hand of the day. She checked, I checked back.

River comes another offsuit 9. She insta shoves $100something and I announce "snapcall".

She turns over trip 9s with an ace kicker...

As I am pulling in her chips shes talking to herself saying "I am so unlucky" repeatedly. I tried to avoid eye contact but she just sat there looking at me. I look over and she looks so depressed. I felt so bad but deep down inside I was happy that I won the hand because the 9 on the turn pissed me off.
payshintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:20 PM   #21
payshintz
enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 63
Re: How to not feel guilty about beating bad players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by packers4life View Post
I can kinda understand the OP. my brother railed on me on kind of a moralist rant (which makes no sense with him being an agnostic/atheist, not totally sure which) about the fact that I use poker as a source of income and that I'm taking advantage of addicts and ignorant people.



Just remember that last bit
My dad and my sister gives the me same crap atleast twice a week. My dad always says that I am taking hard earned money from others. My sister says that my dad was be happier if I was working hard for my money.

I always respond to my sister with "*****, we talkin about hard work now? Hard work? You don't think losing your weekly paycheck for 6 months before becoming a winning player was hard work?" "Those were the hardest working times of my life"

Actually I don't say that to her but I will one day. lol.

As for my pops. I think he just wants me to take over his business. Which I could but he is afraid that I will gamble with the profits. Which I probably will.
payshintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #22
SaintTino
grinder
 
SaintTino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Who Dat City
Posts: 562
Re: How to not feel guilty about beating bad players?

You freakin' kiddin' me??? Does Drew Brees feel bad when he obliterates a defensive secondary and torches them for 4 touchdowns, 450 yards and a 133.4 passer rating? Does Kobe Bryant feel guilty when he humiliates a "playoff contender" by racking up a triple double?

Come on man, get REAL! No real competitor feels bad about winning. It's not as though anybody is FORCING these idiots to play poker. They make the conscience decision to take their money and sit at a table and hope to win. Do you think they'd feel bad after taking your money?
SaintTino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #23
Mr Muck McFold
banned
 
Mr Muck McFold's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: -EV
Posts: 974
Re: How to not feel guilty about beating bad players?

Give them their money back.
Mr Muck McFold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #24
HariboKid
newbie
 
HariboKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 23
Re: How to not feel guilty about beating bad players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBump View Post
If you feel bad about winning, then poker isn't the game for you.
this, poker really isnt the game for you! these are the types of questions i get asked though from people and i laugh and move on
HariboKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #25
6471849653
old hand
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: EU
Posts: 1,634
Re: How to not feel guilty about beating bad players?

Poker is on the gray ground and one needs to accept that. There are smaller and bigger problem players and one is taking part in taking their money and making their lives more miserable. Only if one is playing the game for the game and getting higher and better, having ambition, it's fine to play, and I would like it to be scored like chess and then there being commercial money and sponsored things that the best players especially can make money at.

There are often players at even higher tables that shouldn't be there because they are weak, but if they can afford to play those limits, I can reasonably think they can afford to lose also and they have good incomes, though not that even most players hitting there are so, them usually being some fast shots by lower limit players and then they often recover the lose if they lose, or they will start playing less as being afraid of losing anymore like that, but usually players can recover with their salary also, but still, one is there taking their money and that's a part of the nature of the game one is to accept and think what's ethical and what isn't, it not being that clear that it's unethical to take their money and give them a lession.
6471849653 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply
      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008-2020, Two Plus Two Interactive